News Round Up 2016

Rumor
Rivers of Light- Iger saw video of RoL preview, felt the show was not strong enough to stand alone. Debut to come alongside Avatar opening. New RoL show for WDW 50th after they get their return on investment.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised by this. While I certainly have seen cast saying they like the show, there hasn't been a large "Oh my god this is amazing" feeling among the reactions - at least in my perspective. It's certainly a step up from Jungle Book, but it still seems underwhelming.

That being said, if they delay it til late Spring/early Summer, it's only going to look worse.

I believe the math works like this:
25,000 people spread out over 10 hours with some overlap, breaks for food and meals, etc. at any one time 15,000 people in park many "resting", a lot in ride lines, etc.

At a party there are 10,000 people on a mission to extract maximum value and experience, see characters, throw in a ride, watch fireworks and parade.

Whatever the magic sauce is and whatever the facts tell you - parties are WAY more uncomfortable than a busy day. I'm with LOL there.

Yeah...that!!

I honestly wouldn't be surprised by this. While I certainly have seen cast saying they like the show, there hasn't been a large "Oh my god this is amazing" feeling among the reactions - at least in my perspective. It's certainly a step up from Jungle Book, but it still seems underwhelming.

That being said, if they delay it til late Spring/early Summer, it's only going to look worse.
Len Testa just reported that Iger will be in town next week, same time as previews.

reports I have seen was that it was exactly that - amazing. It's not amazing if you want a Magic Kingdom nighttime show, but it is amazing for there aim for the Animal Kingdom atmosphere.

Actually Jim isn't the only place I've seen that from so I don't think it's "made up".

It seems kinda crazy to me too - this idea has -just- started testing, and unless it's been a smashing success with people clamoring for a cabana everyday it seems a little early to invest that much space for such a project. Perhaps it's an idea that's been thrown out on the table. I'm hoping it will be thrown somewhere else. After I get a good look at them in person I will probably be leaving my feedback with guest services re: the cabana situation.

I never thought animal kingdom was the right environment to stage a "nighttime closing show"...it just doesn't seem right.

Not everything needs to have 10,000 staring at a spot with "let it go" looped into the speaker system.

And "rivers of light" gives me flashbacks to "tapestry of nations" for some reason...gives me the heebs...

Tapestry of Nations was great. When they converted it to Tapestry of Dreams it was crap.

The cabana thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I know most people seem to think it's all about money, but when you do the math on it... it's hard to see that the money is a real difference maker. 10 cabanas (I may be off there by a few) at $650 per day. So, assuming every single one gets popped, that's $6,500 a day. Subtract some for the cost of employees to keep these things stocked or cleaned or whatever they have to do to maintain them.

Is 6,000 dollars a day really enough to infuse this crap into the park? They make that if 55 or so people walk through the front gate with a standard ticket. That's nothing in the scheme of how much a single park brings in a day.

I'm sure the extra money is a component here... but I find it hard to believe this minimal amount of extra money is worth such a ridiculous "addition" to the park. Then again, I suppose I am underestimating the lengths a company will go to squeeze blood from a stone sometimes.

Any word on weather or not Rock n Roller Coaster is back up and running?

"Whether" not "weather". Sorry to be Mr. Grammar Police, but that one bugs me...

Cabana Test- Final version of cabanas in MK would have firework views. They would go in the area where the Tomorrowland Skyway station was. They would be on the second level for views of the park. http://www.yesterland.com/reminders.html
-Epcot test would put the tents in the future world area between FW and WS where they place the flower and garden kids playground.
-1.5 acres set aside in Star Wars Experience for permanent cabanas, Star Wars Experience is supposed to be 14 acres total, 1.5 of that dedicated to cabanas...
-Imagineers not happy about this and the theming aspect.

I just can't believe 1.5 acres for cabanas. My property is a little less than 0.5 acres and 1.5 acres is HUGE. You could put 50 cabanas in that space. I just don't see that level of demand for private $650 cabanas. I would 100% believe that they'll put them in, but in that large a space I don't buy it.

Is 6,000 dollars a day really enough to infuse this crap into the park? They make that if 55 or so people walk through the front gate with a standard ticket. That's nothing in the scheme of how much a single park brings in a day.

I'm sure the extra money is a component here... but I find it hard to believe this minimal amount of extra money is worth such a ridiculous "addition" to the park. Then again, I suppose I am underestimating the lengths a company will go to squeeze blood from a stone sometimes.

It might not sound like much when looked at on a daily basis. However, if you multiply that $6,000 x 4 parks x 365 days a year that's $8.76 Million in potential extra income for a couple of tents.

Here are my last three forays into these things:

October 2010: Halloween in wdw...hated it, was too crowded and uncomfortable - not a good value (blamed the weather - heat)...price way up From prior experience

November 2014: Christmas at wdw...hated it, was too crowded and uncomfortable - not a good value (blamed jersey week - weather was great)...price way up from prior experience

I know you are talking about Halloween and Christmas parties. Look I have never done either because I have never been at that time of the year. If those parties (which have lower attendance than a regular park day) are too crowded than how do you deal with a regular park day? Surely thats also crowded.

I'm with @lockedoutlogic on this one. We did the Halloween Party in October 2010, and spent the whole night waiting in massive lines. The Xmas party we did in 2013 was marginally better - but only marginally. Now I'm done.

You can say these events have "limited number of guests" but the Halloween party in 2010 had the worst crowds of anything we did all week. The Christmas party wasn't quite that but was close. Just last month we went to the park on the day of a Halloween party. By the time we left the park about 7:30 PM the park was way more packed than it had been for most of the day. People were staking out spots for the parade 90 minutes ahead of time. The problem with these events is that there are less people in the parks - but those people aren't going on the rides - they are there to see the parade/fireworks/meet Jack and Sally/Prince and Princesses/Mickey in Costume. (There were at LEAST 400 people in line for that M&G when we walked by.) So yeah, if I want to ride Space Mountain the lines are short, but if I want to participate in the "extras" its a total madhouse. 45 minutes wait for Princesses at 11 PM is what we had. Meanwhile my 7 day pass for $350 costs me $50 a day. On Saturday of our trip I had an opportunity at 15 hours at MK for that $50 (9 AM to midnight). Even on the Tuesday Party day I had 10 hours that I could have been in the park for my $50.

So to me it's:
$50 for 10 - 15 hours in the park doing whatever I want.
$90 for 5 hours (8 with early entry) in the park doing whatever I want with (maybe) shorter lines.
$90 for 5 hours in the park to see a parade / fireworks get a bag of candy and meet 3 characters.

Lots of people love them - there's no denying it, and it makes Disney gobs of money - but the least fun I've had at Disney in all the trips we've taken are at these hard ticket events. And yes I gave them a second chance....and no I won't give them another. But I have little problem with the fact that they exist - EXCEPT that they run them 4 nights a week - so I want an evening at MK I'm forced to one of the other 3 nights which are now more crowded because of the parties - or to go at a different time of year.

The cabana thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I know most people seem to think it's all about money, but when you do the math on it... it's hard to see that the money is a real difference maker. 10 cabanas (I may be off there by a few) at $650 per day. So, assuming every single one gets popped, that's $6,500 a day. Subtract some for the cost of employees to keep these things stocked or cleaned or whatever they have to do to maintain them.

I calculated it based on 100 cabanas for the 1.5 acres. They would make over $23 million per year. That's a pretty nice revenue stream. Also who knows if the price would stay $650 for a cabana that's themed and inside the Star Wars area.

I calculated it based on 100 cabanas for the 1.5 acres. They would make over $23 million per year. That's a pretty nice revenue stream. Also who knows if the price would stay $650 for a cabana that's themed and inside the Star Wars area.

I refuse to believe they could actually sell 100 cabanas a day there. To quote Ralph Wiggum, "That's unpossible".

I refuse to believe they could actually sell 100 cabanas a day there. To quote Ralph Wiggum, "That's unpossible".

well, I thought they were totally selling out what they have now - and if the ones in Star Wars land came with early access or something like that I could see them selling quite a bit

My most recent experience at Disneyland really opened my eyes on the Halloween party...

Thinking crowds would be light because they would be getting kicked out "early" for the hard ticket...

Exactly the opposite and counter intuitive...

People just can't go a day without the princess nonsense...it was packed from the go (the night of the party and two days later the day before the party started)...

It's just nuts. And the Spirit of Disney parks - fun and variety for all ages - is being eroded due to relentless focus on Pixar and disney junior IP.

That is no more evident than on "special days".

And the behavior is bad too...because people are paying $200 for the day in many cases.

the one thing I fear is that these "up-sales" result in the standard offerings going down in quality. So thinking about this new transportation - will this result in fewer buses for the rest of us? Or will the up-sell customers get the newer buses and the "regular guests" get the older ones?

It's one thing for people who pay more to get extras (I mean, go back to when there were ticket books for rides - people who could afford more tickets could ride more rides) but another if this results in a negative impact to the standard experience

What it erodes, at least to me, is the all inclusiveness, 1 price admission to all that is and was WDW. That is, you buy a ticket, the park is yours. I know early WDW was the fair structure, however they evolved and became the leader. Now, when you go into the park, you are going to start seeing all of these roped off sections for upsells. It diminishes the value of the park ticket. It becomes tacky if everywhere you look there are "exclusives". They aren't there yet, but they sure are sprinting towards it.

Pretty soon, Disney will be down to neighborhood carnival/state fair levels...you can pay a small amount to go in, walk around and do nothing...EVERYTHING else (rides, characters, night shows, food, air conditioning, charging stations, seats, etc) will cost per item...boy, that will be fun for families...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter