News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
The logic here isn't really sound. Fastpass/Maxpass work because they get some portion of the people out of the line. Though the standby wait TIME would get longer - the actual LENGTH of the wait LINE should get shorter.

Think of it this way:
- If you normally have 2000 people going on a ride with no-FP, and the wait time is 45-minutes, it means you have 1500 people standing in line at any one time.
- If you then shift 75% of the queue to MaxPass/FastPass, you now have 1500 people that are going through the Maxpass/FastPass line every hour,but with the wait time with this kept to a maximum of say 10 minutes, only 250 people of these 1500 people per hour would be in line at any point.
- Meanwhile, there still room for 500 people get through the standby line per hour. Even if your standby wait time doubles to 90 minutes, your stand-by line now only has 750 people in it (500 people per hour waiting 90-minutes) instead of 1500 people (2000 people per hour waiting 45 minutes).

So in the above scenario, we went from 1500 people waiting in line at any one point in time, to at most 1000 people waiting in line (250 in MP/FP and 750 in standby), even though the standby wait went from 45-minutes to 90-minutes.

The basics are - FP makes standby people wait in line longer, but because the wait times go up, the actual line length becomes shorter. A great example of this in WDW is in HM - whose queue used to back up out the gates but was rarely more than a 30 minute wait until the instituted FP. Now the waits are often 45 minutes or more, but they rarely back out the gates.
Too tired to consider your math- which is likely correct- but you also have to take into consideration the physical space that a FP line occupies- which can take up quite a bit of “standing” space.

Too tired to consider your math- which is likely correct- but you also have to take into consideration the physical space that a FP line occupies- which can take up quite a bit of “standing” space.

That is true, but the FP queue should be signifcantly smaller than the standby queue if designed properly. (In WDW Good example: Peter Pan, where the FP queue is about 1/20th the length of the standby line.)

So for $79 you can ride some rides and get a breakfast for an hour earlier than everyone else...? Mmmm. Something smells a little fishy there. MAYBE if this didn't require a ticket to HS I would think about it. We haven't done HS in three years and I only want to go this year because of Slinky Dog so we only have two hours set aside anyway (and then a return for Fantasmic since it's been so long since we've seen it). the $79 price tag is basically a park ticket anyway.

So for $79 you can ride some rides and get a breakfast for an hour earlier than everyone else...? Mmmm. Something smells a little fishy there. MAYBE if this didn't require a ticket to HS I would think about it. We haven't done HS in three years and I only want to go this year because of Slinky Dog so we only have two hours set aside anyway (and then a return for Fantasmic since it's been so long since we've seen it). the $79 price tag is basically a park ticket anyway.
We've done the MK EMM many times for $69 and love it -- we find it to be "worth it"... subjective! I'm just not as sure about the food offerings at this one, but it'll be interesting to hear reviews.

We've done the MK EMM many times for $69 and love it -- we find it to be "worth it"... subjective! I'm just not as sure about the food offerings at this one, but it'll be interesting to hear reviews.

This will become priceless if they do this when Galaxy's Edge opens. Can you imagine the frenzy of everyone getting on at 6 am to try and buy a ticket??? They will probably sell tickets on Ebay! :rotfl:

Too bad it's just Monday and Wednesday for EMM, they could've gotten some extra money out of me. Thankfully the day we arrive is the third Hollywood Studios DVC Moonlight Magic, so we'll do that instead.

an hour and a half of those three rides before the regular park opens? Seems to me you could ride all three rides as many times as you want and at 9:15 when people start arriving head on to your breakfast. Then park hop outta there! Thinking about doing this for our December trip.

Can someone with a better understanding of theme park logistics/IT explain to me how this might not work? It seems like a no-brainer but maybe I just don't get the complexities involved in starting up a FP queue.

It's not largely needed for Pirates, and the way Disneyland is set up, long queues spill over into the main walkways and they have to use temporary switchbacks. Adding FP would of course increase the standby lines and would cause it to spill over much more often. I'm really glad they are cancelling this.

*edit* I should have read through all the responses first. Sorry.

I agree that offering FP will actually reduce the number of people in line at any given time, while the wait TIME goes up. But I'm not sure how that will work with Pirates since they have 2 sides, and more than 50% of capacity is given to FP. Would the merge point have somehow been before you pick the side? I'm not sure how that would work.

Last edited:
That is true, but the FP queue should be signifcantly smaller than the standby queue if designed properly. (In WDW Good example: Peter Pan, where the FP queue is about 1/20th the length of the standby line.)

The biggest issue I see is the implementation of FP on rides for which the queues were not designed for it, and Pirates is a chief example - Haunted Mansion too as it is a continuous loader it really shouldn't need it - but the way Pirates is set up it creates issues as there isn't always enough people in the FP line to fill a boat - even seen reports of empty boats going out as no one in the FP queue, meanwhile the standby was like 30 mins.

So your thought process and math is correct in a perfect world and if things were designed from the ground up, but when retrofitting existing attractions it just doesn't work as well

It's pretty much $79 to pay for FP for Slinky Dog and AS2 ... just like the "VIP Tour" at Animal Kingdom is pretty much a way to pay for FP for Flight of Passage

I can see it if you have a relatively short stay and/or are staying off site and can't get a FP for these popular rides ... I mean, the $ you'd save by staying off site would likely be more than the cost of these tickets

People are very willing to spend extra money for essentially EXTRA Fast Passes. This is the same.
Just think about it this way:
This breakfast would probably cost $30ish/person normally, so you are spending $50 for 3 fastpasses .. (and more than ONE time through at that (if you want)) .. plus meet and greets? Pretty good "value" considering the rides are in Tier 1 and you normally could only get one of those per day anyway.

So .. it comes down to .. if families are willing to pay $50 to get on those rides with little to no crowds? And the answer seems to be a resounding yes.
... this is probably why we'll see less EMH ... Why give away for free, what many (including resort guests) are willing to pay a lot for.

The thing that is a little sketchy about this is that Disney basically artificially raises the demand for these Toy Story Land fast passes by Tiering them .. and then offering a paid service to avoid that restriction.

That being said, I'd consider it, but it doesn't fall on my planned DHS day for the trip this faill (again .. I would be tempted to change it as it is before my 60-day Fast Pass date, but due to those awful 180 day ADRs, that would entirely mess up my plans).

It's pretty much $79 to pay for FP for Slinky Dog and AS2 ...
And breakfast. Thinking about the MK version... CP buffet is $34pp. The MK EMM buffet is not as extensive but still plenty for breakfast and quite tasty. So that's closer to $35pp for the rides (that EMM is $69pp).

I'll be interested to hear what the food is like at the DHS version. It's legitimate to factor breakfast into the value equation.

News

Surprise move by Disney to ask Anaheim to end gate tax exemptions and work together

https://www.ocweekly.com/disneyland...million-hotel-subsidy-and-gate-tax-exemption/

I think this part might explain why:

"With a living wage measure on the November ballot for subsidized corporations in the Anaheim Resort, Disney’s move could potentially exempt them from increasing pay to $18 an hour by 2022 under its wage scale provisions. “It’s conceivable that if Disney does not a have hotel incentive or entertainment tax agreement, those provisions of the initiative could not apply to them,” Mike Lyster, city spokesman, writes in a statement"

basically I see it as Disney saying "fine, then we are not joined together on this so keep your subsidies but stay out of how we operate our business including how we pay our employees - leave that to negotiations between us and the unions"

So while the Mayor is saying tihs is great and shows how the sides can work together vs advisorial, I think this divides them even more

I think this part might explain why:

"With a living wage measure on the November ballot for subsidized corporations in the Anaheim Resort, Disney’s move could potentially exempt them from increasing pay to $18 an hour by 2022 under its wage scale provisions. “It’s conceivable that if Disney does not a have hotel incentive or entertainment tax agreement, those provisions of the initiative could not apply to them,” Mike Lyster, city spokesman, writes in a statement"

basically I see it as Disney saying "fine, then we are not joined together on this so keep your subsidies but stay out of how we operate our business including how we pay our employees - leave that to negotiations between us and the unions"

So while the Mayor is saying tihs is great and shows how the sides can work together vs advisorial, I think this divides them even more
Yep...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter