News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this on twitter... I LOVE SW, and didn’t realize this was still being performed every day... :oops:

“Star Wars: A Galaxy Far, Far Away" Stage Show Going Seasonal at Disney's Hollywood Studios

https://wdwnt.news/18091803
Update: this show is not going seasonal it is closing due to concrete work in the hub area of DHS. It will reopen in roughly 5 weeks or so.

I am too. I like this one, but, I think the first we saw in 1989 I think was actually better. Sponsored by GE...

Maybe it's cause it was our first trip to Epcot...but I liked the old show's music much more (I'm a sucker for the big symphonic Classical stuff though....it ended with the "1812 Overture" and was breathtaking!) After the show, they projected the map of the world on Spaceship Earth, and then played several variations of "Small World" - which may have been fitting, but I think it was more to drive people out of the park... HA HA HA

Here's a YouTube video if anyone is interested in a little history...

Thank you for posting this.

The EPCOT of my childhood was an amazing place, and this show was no small part of that. The current version isn't on par with this version in my opinion. I admit it may be colored with nostalgia.

I think HEA is an improvement over Wishes overall so I hope the next thing at EPCOT is as well.

I don't have the emotional connection to Wishes like a lot of people do. I wasn't even thinking about Wishes vs HEA. I like HEA. But I also think the pressure is immense on getting something amazing for a nighttime fireworks show when it comes to MK because it's the park people think of. Even then if you're not close to the castle the projections can't be seen well so that's similar to your comment about the globe being too far away.

As for why I think it? It's because of how much hype ROL got, then it was a disaster on the delay and a poor excuse for a temp show. And I understand they were trying to do something still though. It's because of what they could have done with NRJ where they shortened it from its original length so I understand. NRJ from an experience standpoint has been typically hampered by how short it is because you're just getting into the world and then it's done. It's how TSL had cutbacks and not enough shade, it's how we've already heard they may be cutting back on SWL, it's how the theater was suppposed to be built in MK but now it's not (and I know that's not the only thing announced and not done I'm just using that as an example). It's many things combined that have me concerned they may start with this grand idea and then we'll find out there's been cuts or it could have been so much more and they didn't go for it when they could have, etc. It's my opinion though so obviously it doesn't mean others will/would feel the same.

Like I said though I'm excited for something new. But just because something has been around for a long time doesn't mean everyone has seen it. Fantasmic! has been around since 1998 and I've had 4 trips in that time period and have yet to see it lol because of rain or some other reason. I'm not making the comparison in quality between Fanstamic! and IllumiNations I'm just saying sometimes people forget that while they've been enough times where something becomes boring not everyone has that.

I'll say this...there have always been and always WILL be budget cuts. We're maybe more aware of it now - but you can go back to the original construction of Disneyland and find things that were cut out due to budget constraints. And it's not just at Disney.

I do believe with the nighttime shows - they realize they have to make those be top tier. I think Rivers of Light kind of opened their eyes - they wanted something there at night, but with the restrictions of the animals and such they were limited in what they could do, and the concept was maybe good but the execution a disaster. But since then, Disney has been very cautious with rolling out new things, and I'm sure they also see the fact that a not very popular nighttime show has not caused the surge in evening attendance they would've liked.

That said, I think they are aware that Illuminations is a very important part of Epcot and much beloved by many, and I think they are taking it very seriously. The fact that they are announcing this a year in advance says that they don't think this is just some "swap it out and nobody cares" project. I have confidence that they'll get it right.

I'll say this...there have always been and always WILL be budget cuts. We're maybe more aware of it now - but you can go back to the original construction of Disneyland and find things that were cut out due to budget constraints. And it's not just at Disney.

I do believe with the nighttime shows - they realize they have to make those be top tier. I think Rivers of Light kind of opened their eyes - they wanted something there at night, but with the restrictions of the animals and such they were limited in what they could do, and the concept was maybe good but the execution a disaster. But since then, Disney has been very cautious with rolling out new things, and I'm sure they also see the fact that a not very popular nighttime show has not caused the surge in evening attendance they would've liked.

That said, I think they are aware that Illuminations is a very important part of Epcot and much beloved by many, and I think they are taking it very seriously. The fact that they are announcing this a year in advance says that they don't think this is just some "swap it out and nobody cares" project. I have confidence that they'll get it right.
Yeah I know there always has been budget cuts and always will be. Of course it's not just Disney. But that certaintly doesn't mean I can't have concerns :)

I def. hoping it's like you've described where they take it seriously and whatnot. I didn't say I think they will fail just that I have concerns.

Jack Ryan is on Amazon Prime ... so yeah, like others have said my guess is how much this type of show resonates with the same audience as ESPN?

Doesn't seem like the type of show that would be on the new Disney streaming service either
I wish it meant that Disney offered some of those streaming-only TV-MA shows with a few words muted and bedroom scenes cut. (Why can’t they offer both a TV-MA and a TV-13 cut of the same show?)

But I’m guessing they are either considering adding subscriptions be viewable through Prime (like Starz, Cartoon Network, etc currently do)

Or, Jack Ryan had a ton of advertising, and they are realizing they need that level of ads, too.

Yeah I know there always has been budget cuts and always will be. Of course it's not just Disney. But that certaintly doesn't mean I can't have concerns :)

I def. hoping it's like you've described where they take it seriously and whatnot. I didn't say I think they will fail just that I have concerns.

You certainly are allowed to have concerns...i was just trying to ease them.

What trailer excited you for their respective movie more?

A. Captain Marvel
B. Mary Poppins

Feel free to explain why!

(I don’t know how to make an actual poll)

A. Captain Marvel
B. Mary Poppins

For me it was Mary Poppins. The Captain Marvel trailer was fine - but felt very "by the numbers" to me. I already wanted to see the movie, and while it didn't hurt my desire to see it, it didn't make me MORE excited to see the movie. The Mary Poppins Returns trailer is for a movie I am wholly expecting to be terrible, yet the trailer was absolutely brilliant and made me want to see a movie I was (and still am) dreading. That is a truly remarkable feat, and so even if the movie stinks, the trailer was a hands down winner.

For me it was Mary Poppins. The Captain Marvel trailer was fine - but felt very "by the numbers" to me. I already wanted to see the movie, and while it didn't hurt my desire to see it, it didn't make me MORE excited to see the movie. The Mary Poppins Returns trailer is for a movie I am wholly expecting to be terrible, yet the trailer was absolutely brilliant and made me want to see a movie I was (and still am) dreading. That is a truly remarkable feat, and so even if the movie stinks, the trailer was a hands down winner.
Hit the nail on the head here.

A. Captain Marvel
B. Mary Poppins

Captain Marvel - didn't give too much away, and shows the Skrulls are part of the picture. Also like we are getting an early view on Nick Fury as well.

On Mary Poppins...don't get me wrong it looks great - but as someone at WDWMagic.com calls out(mansionbutler I believe...) - does this story not sound familiar to anyone - like Christopher Robin??? Child from previous story has lost the way and lost the magic, a former friend returns to teach them about magic again, and they go off and relearn their lives....

Just seems like rinse and repeat here a bit.

Totally agree with this. I have been not sure about a Mary Poppins 2, but this calmed some of my concerns. I'm looking forward to it now, although I'm still keeping my expectations low.

Captain Marvel intrigues me, but I was going to see it in some fashion anyways. I'm curious to see how much of the MCU gets retconned. With the GotG issues, it may be interesting how they use the Skrulls.

I wish it meant that Disney offered some of those streaming-only TV-MA shows with a few words muted and bedroom scenes cut. (Why can’t they offer both a TV-MA and a TV-13 cut of the same show?)

But I’m guessing they are either considering adding subscriptions be viewable through Prime (like Starz, Cartoon Network, etc currently do)

Or, Jack Ryan had a ton of advertising, and they are realizing they need that level of ads, too.

Given their ownership stake now in Hulu I expect Disney to use that for TV-MA like they used Tuchstone for r-rated movies

I just have no interest in Mary Poppins. The original had some groundbreaking elements and is a fun story with historic actors. A wonderful film that I have probably seen twice but that's plenty for me. I just have no interest in seeing a sequel, regardless of how good the trailer might be.

As for Captain Marvel, I'm excited. I view it as Marvel's answer to WonderWoman and the gateway to Phase IV. It's something they just have to get right and the trailer has me excited. Plus, the 90s were my teen decade, so much like Guardians hit nostalgia for the 80s, I can't wait to see what Captain Marvel will do for my 90s nostalgia.

Well the Illuminations announcement sealed the deal that next June we will splurge for the dessert party. Just hoping the globe works right. The show is off when it doesn't.

I loved the old show too. I remember being amazed by the laser light projections and the timing of the water to the music and fireworks. For years later, if I saw spotlights in sky at night, it reminded me of it.

Have I mentioned, I love Epcot in general. So many fond memories. I'm apprehensive about the changes coming, but they are needed. Disney did a major disservice to Epcot by letting it languish, especially Innovations and Imagination, for so many years. Glad to see it get some love, just concerned about it becoming MK or DHS 2. I don't mind the IPs, but I'd like to see some tie in to themeing. Hopefully GotG manages it...we will see.

Well the Illuminations announcement sealed the deal that next June we will splurge for the dessert party.
Have you done this dessert party before? I think it’s quite a good one. We’ve done it a couple of times even though we aren’t big Illuminations fans at all.

Have you done this dessert party before? I think it’s quite a good one. We’ve done it a couple of times even though we aren’t big Illuminations fans at all.

We did the Wishes Terrace one right before Wishes stopped. It was good, although with HEA it'd be off center. I've heard good things about the Frozen/Illuminations one, and the food and drinks look great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter