News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got back from seeing The Lion King (2019) and I have very mixed and contradictory feelings about it.

Visually, it's incredible and it's probably one of the more interesting animated films I've seen in a long time. However, it felt very much like a tech demo. I felt the same way about The Good Dinosaur in that it was a great way to show off what you could do with the latest version of Renderman, but not much else. I'm not entirely sure what software they used for this, but it's very impressive. If you're a nerd and that kind of stuff fascinates you, then go see it for that. Technologically, I think the biggest failing is in the eyes. It's so hard to ever get those right.

Overall, I think this film’s biggest problem is that there's already two versions of The Lion King that are incredible and that are beloved by many. The original 2D animated film and the broadway show. This 3D version does very little to differentiate itself from either of them. It's not a line by line, shot by shot remake of the original, but it's pretty close. The stuff they do add is great (with exception of the random Beyonce song) and I would have liked to see more original content.

If the reported budget of $260 million is correct, then it's probably tied for the most expensive animated film ever made with Tangled. I’m not sure if the budget made it impossible to really go beyond the runtime they ended up with, but it just felt like a missed opportunity to do something more. It was 10 minutes or so longer than the original, but I think that’s only because it kind of dragged in spots.

With that said, it’s still The Lion King. I’d put it below the original 2D animated film and the broadway show, but above the SNES version. I don’t think anyone is missing anything if they wait for it to hit Disney Plus, but I’m still glad I saw it in theaters.

I'm not sure 7 seasons is considered struggling. I enjoy the show myself.
I missed the first episode of this season and I tried to watch episode 2 & 3 and I’m so confused. I need to wait until the entire season is on Netflix.

It's bad in that every time they have high usage they have to go into load shedding or hang ups. This can be a daily issue at 7 am when there FPPs open.

Designing for GDS is a pain, I'm sure, but Disney's isn't handling anywhere near the requests as a major airline or online TA like Expedia.

My big concern Disney+ really comes from how poor my experience with WatchESPN has been for years.
Thanks for this insight... it does explain what happens and why.

I just watched the Cats trailer, and I have to say, as someone who was hesitant to get excited for The Lion King remake because the animals can't emote.... it could be worse... so much worse.

The problem with the Cats movie (besides the fact that it's just straight nightmare fuel) isn't the fact that the cats are emoting. It's the fact that the cats have human faces. It's like "Deep Fakes - The Movie". Baloo was quite emotive in Jungle Book 2016 and that looked great!

The problem with the Cats movie (besides the fact that it's just straight nightmare fuel) isn't the fact that the cats are emoting. It's the fact that the cats have human faces. It's like "Deep Fakes - The Movie". Baloo was quite emotive in Jungle Book 2016 and that looked great!

I guess I don't want to get into a discussion of this - but I don't get why people are so upset about the cats trailer - it essentially does what the show does and have it be cats represented by humans. A lot of people slag on the show - and my guess is if you don't like the show, you won't like film - but as far as I'm concerned they captured the way the show is pretty well. Now sure it'll get me to see it in theaters, but I liked it.

Also - point out that the 3D of Minion Mayhem seems to only be removed in California, not Florida. I don't know why you would remove the 3D of these shows. I've always thought that if people don't like 3D, they should have some special non-3D glasses for those guests (glasses that have the same polarization in both lenses).

Also - point out that the 3D of Minion Mayhem seems to only be removed in California, not Florida. I don't know why you would remove the 3D of these shows. I've always thought that if people don't like 3D, they should have some special non-3D glasses for those guests (glasses that have the same polarization in both lenses).
The glasses themselves are a lot of what people don’t like so that wouldn’t solve much. Personally I just don’t think there are very many attractions that benefit from 3D, and I’d say it actually hurts them more than helps in general.

Plus the things people do with those glasses can get unsanitary to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter