News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
That reeks of desperation. Hopefully, this result doesn't impact other areas of park updates and renovations. I'm sure it will, however, hopefully it isn't too material.

It is a much broader span of promotions, but both TSL and Pandora had at least sneak peek's peppered throughout ABC's more entertainment-news shows.

This does seem over the top with primetime programming and espn inclusions.

Interesting that Powell is being used as the "Fall Person" when the rumors indicate it was Chapek who cut back on the original plans for Galaxy's edge. You have to believe that the poor attendance in the Parks that were expected to explode will make Chapek's chances of taking over after Iger slim. If Disney+ has a successful start, the good bet will be that Mayer gets the nod. I love big corporate internal intrigue.

That reeks of desperation. Hopefully, this result doesn't impact other areas of park updates and renovations. I'm sure it will, however, hopefully it isn't too material.
Maybe...Disney always uses its other shows to promote its newlands.

Is SWGE really doing that bad? or just not as gangbusters as expected?

Is this all coming down to opening SWGE too early with only one ride? I mean .. I found there was tons to see and do in SWGE. And I spent a ton of money. Maybe it is TOO geared to the Star Wars Fan? *shrug*.

I dont recall this panic over Pandora though -- but maybe they had low exppectations for that land. Pandora has nothing compared to SWGE except one great ride and some neat landscaping. .

Wish it was him instead (I'm not a fan, if you couldn't tell, ha). "lol the cast members are the characters, you guyz."
I am not a big fan of his either. I like the cast members being characters but he really limited them and didn't have them trained enough and his IP policy is bonkers. You can be themed without IP it happens all the time. I dont even hate IP being added to the park but these IP reskins really rubbed me the wrong way.

Is this all coming down to opening SWGE too early with only one ride? I mean .. I found there was tons to see and do in SWGE. And I spent a ton of money. Maybe it is TOO geared to the Star Wars Fan? *shrug*.

I dont recall this panic over Pandora though -- but maybe they had low exppectations for that land. Pandora has nothing compared to SWGE except one great ride and some neat landscaping. .
These were the phrases I heard multiple times while in SWGE in DLR a little over a week ago:

"All there is is one ride and then they just want you to spend spend spend, well they had to do something (speaking about the AP bring a friend promotion) because they weren't getting people in the parks, did you see how much those things were (speaking to the light sabers), they should have gotten that other ride going,etc etc" you get the picture.

What does it tell you that my husband, amongst apparently others too, that Star Tours gave my husband the same thrill level as Smugglers Run.

We enjoyed our time, Oga's was a highlight, but in terms of theming we felt Disney did a better more encompassing job with Pandora. And while we are not mega Star Wars fans we aren't mega Avatar fans either (is there such a thing? Lol) so we base it on more the actual theming.

Personally I feel like there should be more shade and seating. I didn't really find myself wanting to spend a lot of time just staring at buildings in the sun and after spending an atrocious amount of money just to get into the parks we had no inclination to buy, but admittedly we wouldn't buy either way because it's not the type of souvenirs we're into, but that plays a role into how we feel about the land overall. But one thing I did enjoy was the snippets of stormtroopers interactions like one where girls were taking selfies lol. Nighttime was enjoyable enough there though.

I think I was just underwhelmed by it but I don't feel like I had too high of expectations given how Disney amped it up.

Given the big investment, not going gangbusters IS that bad.
But it only has been 4 months since the one in DL opened. I wonder what they were expecting? With how Disney costs and how they expect you to plan ahead, they cant expect people to plan on trips JUST to visit the land (except maybe Millennial VLOGers that have the time/money for that sort of thing). My guess is SWGE will be a draw, just maybe not the big draw they wantd in the first few months.

As much as I was excited about TSL and Pandora, I didn't plan a trip specifically to go see them. I just was excited for something new to do on my NEXT triip. (For Pandora it was a year and a half later).

BUT - I will admit that the opening of Toy Story Land and Pandora and SWGE so close together DID get me to jump in with an AP from Nov. 2018 - Nov. 2019 so I could experience all those new lands several times over the course of the year. So it worked for my family! We are going on our fourth trip in October. It just wasnt immediate (except for SWGE)..

I guess I am glad I went (and am going again) to SWGE early. I can easily see them panicking and starting to remove things -- less stormtroopers walking about, not keeping up the datapad app, dropping the immersiveness and just selling the generic Star Wars stuff (t-shirts, toys) inside Black spire Outpost, etc.

For us, this is the case. While it's an amazing land with a ton of beautiful details, to me as a non-SW fan, it's just that, a land with a ton of great details.

We were at WDW 2 weeks ago and went to DHS 3 times that visit. We went to Batuu once and TSL 3 times. The rides in TSL just interest us more than the one ride currently open in SWGE. We are looking forward to RotR though!!

I know many love SW and the land but I'm guessing I'm not alone in not being a SW fan so while I enjoyed Batuu I didn't need to go back over and over again.

But it only has been 4 months since the one in DL opened. I wonder what they were expecting? With how Disney costs and how they expect you to plan ahead, they cant expect people to plan on trips JUST to visit the land (except maybe Millennial VLOGers that have the time/money for that sort of thing). My guess is SWGE will be a draw, just maybe not the big draw they wantd in the first few months.

As much as I was excited about TSL and Pandora, I didn't plan a trip specifically to go see them. I just was excited for something new to do on my NEXT triip. (For Pandora it was a year and a half later).

BUT - I will admit that the opening of Toy Story Land and Pandora and SWGE so close together DID get me to jump in with an AP from Nov. 2018 - Nov. 2019 so I could experience all those new lands several times over the course of the year. So it worked for my family! We are going on our fourth trip in October. It just wasnt immediate (except for SWGE)..

I guess I am glad I went (and am going again) to SWGE early. I can easily see them panicking and starting to remove things -- less stormtroopers walking about, not keeping up the datapad app, dropping the immersiveness and just selling the generic Star Wars stuff (t-shirts, toys) inside Black spire Outpost, etc.
Disneyland is hard to really compare. They had the whole reservation period thing at first which limited crowds severely. People got confused by this as well since I still see questions as to whether you can get into SWGE without a reservation. Disney user language that hurt them I think. Disney also hurt themselves by opening the land without its big draw in Rise. Disney expected huge Potter type waits and it didn’t happen.

Well, I am sure they were not expecting attendance at Disneyland to be down after GE opened. Even if ther eare a ton of valid reasons for it, no way the executives (nor shareholders) can be happy that you open up a $1bn land and attendance goes down
Two major factors I think is blackouts and then the Disney language of its going to be crowded and we will have systems in place for your visit. It is really interesting though that the resort seems down overall even now that blackouts are lifted. I don’t think that’s purely because of SWGE either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter