News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same. I was just afraid of being booed out of Batuu for admitting it here! ;)
lol

One thing I will give credit to Smugglers Run is at least the Engineer (mainly this one) and Gunner positions did not trigger my motion sickness whereas Star Tours does and I try to avoid riding that ride. We didn't get Pilot after with 3 rides but that probably would have triggered my motion sickness though that might have made it a tad more interesting for my husband.

For us, this is the case. While it's an amazing land with a ton of beautiful details, to me as a non-SW fan, it's just that, a land with a ton of great details.

We were at WDW 2 weeks ago and went to DHS 3 times that visit. We went to Batuu once and TSL 3 times. The rides in TSL just interest us more than the one ride currently open in SWGE. We are looking forward to RotR though!!

I know many love SW and the land but I'm guessing I'm not alone in not being a SW fan so while I enjoyed Batuu I didn't need to go back over and over again.

It does seem like thing things in the land to keep people busy are geared a bit more to the Star Wars fans - I mean, are the non-star wars fans going to be spending a lot of time with the data bad translating languages and hacking computers, etc.? How much are they going to get out of the shops and stuff - are they spending tons of times in Dok Andars? And obviously the cost of building light sabers and droids is not cheap, are non-fans going to spend that $?

So I think eveyrone can appreciate the details and the ride for what it is, etc. - but how many times do you need to go? How much time do you want to spend there? etc

I do think RotR will add a lot to the land though

Let us all be clear. The last quarterly earnings disclosed a 3% decrease in attendance after the open of Galaxy Edge at Disney Land. After Pandora opened, Animal Kingdom vaulted from being the 4th attended park at WDW to the second highest attendance. So yes, we can clearly see the attendance has been a big disappointment.

Two major factors I think is blackouts and then the Disney language of its going to be crowded and we will have systems in place for your visit. It is really interesting though that the resort seems down overall even now that blackouts are lifted. I don’t think that’s purely because of SWGE either.

oh, there are definitely many valid reasons why .... but I thikn Disney assumed Star Wars would overcome everything and the crowds coming for it would make up for drops elseswhere - wasn't the case

Interesting that Powell is being used as the "Fall Person" when the rumors indicate it was Chapek who cut back on the original plans for Galaxy's edge. You have to believe that the poor attendance in the Parks that were expected to explode will make Chapek's chances of taking over after Iger slim. If Disney+ has a successful start, the good bet will be that Mayer gets the nod. I love big corporate internal intrigue.

I read somewhere that it was Iger's decision to not base it on any currently known SW planet. So, I think the blame lies on both of them. I really liked Batuu and loved Smuggler's Run, but there is something about the land that doesn't elicit an emotional response from me like The Wizarding World does. It felt very Star Wars though. I would say that I am a bigger and longer Star Wars fan than Harry Potter. I actually think it's the lack of music for me.

But it only has been 4 months since the one in DL opened. I wonder what they were expecting? With how Disney costs and how they expect you to plan ahead, they cant expect people to plan on trips JUST to visit the land (except maybe Millennial VLOGers that have the time/money for that sort of thing). My guess is SWGE will be a draw, just maybe not the big draw they wantd in the first few months.

As much as I was excited about TSL and Pandora, I didn't plan a trip specifically to go see them. I just was excited for something new to do on my NEXT triip. (For Pandora it was a year and a half later).

BUT - I will admit that the opening of Toy Story Land and Pandora and SWGE so close together DID get me to jump in with an AP from Nov. 2018 - Nov. 2019 so I could experience all those new lands several times over the course of the year. So it worked for my family! We are going on our fourth trip in October. It just wasnt immediate (except for SWGE)..

I guess I am glad I went (and am going again) to SWGE early. I can easily see them panicking and starting to remove things -- less stormtroopers walking about, not keeping up the datapad app, dropping the immersiveness and just selling the generic Star Wars stuff (t-shirts, toys) inside Black spire Outpost, etc.
It was enough of a disappointment that they let one of their top executives go.

Let us all be clear. The last quarterly earnings disclosed a 3% decrease in attendance after the open of Galaxy Edge at Disney Land. After Pandora opened, Animal Kingdom vaulted from being the 4th attended park at WDW to the second highest attendance. So yes, we can clearly see the attendance has been a big disappointment.
But what about at WDW? Has attendance at DHS picked up since SWGE opened (I know .. hasnt even been a month yet). If it DECREASED as well .. then Disney just simply scared away guests at the thought of huge lines and hassles (like there were for the new HP ride). No one wants to plan a huge (expensive) vacation and not be able to experience the land because of crowds and wait times.

But I will admit that all the crazy scenarios we thought (queues to get into the land .. 3+ hour wait times for the attraction) hasnt happened.

We will see how it is next month - which should be a lot more crowded than SEPT, but if I had known that SWGE would not be a mad house, I may have not opted for the special trip for the preview to beat the crowds. I had thought that getting there at 6 am for EEMH would be the only reasonable way to experience the land and it definitely does not appear that way thus far.

But what about at WDW? Has attendance at DHS picked up since SWGE opened (I know .. hasnt even been a month yet). If it DECREASED as well .. then Disney just simply scared away guests at the thought of huge lines and hassles (like there were for the new HP ride). No one wants to plan a huge (expensive) vacation and not be able to experience the land because of crowds and wait times.

But I will admit that all the crazy scenarios we thought (queues to get into the land .. 3+ hour wait times for the attraction) hasnt happened.

We will see how it is next month - which should be a lot more crowded than SEPT, but if I had known that SWGE would not be a mad house, I may have not opted for the special trip for the preview to beat the crowds. I had thought that getting there at 6 am for EEMH would be the only reasonable way to experience the land and it definitely does not appear that way thus far.

well, there was the hurricane that impacted crowds quite a bit as well so hard to isolate GE - and it does seem like crowds are picking up a bit now, but still not seeing much (if any) use of the virtual queue so definitely not seeing the crazy, crazy crowds many people feared

I love how some on a forum like this -- with no personal inside info -- can be so sure of what is happening behind the scenes, who is truly ultimately responsible for anything they don't like, why an exec gets axed, etc. I don't get it.

My understanding -- could be wrong -- was that non-AP attendance was UP in DL. Overall was down due to AP blackouts.

And we don't have WDW attendance data yet, correct? So perhaps premature to compare to Pandora. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it's not as high an increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter