News Round Up 2020

Ya .. that letter just showed how little entertainment offerings they have. LOL.

Has Universal cut its street entertainment like the drummers on the scaffolding or the Blues Brothers?
The letter isn’t written for people like us. It is written for people that don’t follow Disney as closely as us and from media they are hearing now believe there is no entertainment left in the parks.

We were told we needed to be inside IOA to get Hagrids, and we were but I'm not sure it was true. They even said closer to the ride the better, but who knows.

Never mind. I see the 2pm you need to be inside DHS so a similar situation.
Ah OK thanks. :thumbsup2

So that is indeed a different policy than we were told for IOA/Hagrids-no required tap in there after all.

I did it from Hard Rock Hotel in July. My husband was doing it from inside the park but at a different time. We were both trying to get it for him and our son. He was using the same app account as I was; it was my account. You don't have to be in the park at all to get Hagrid's. I've done the same for Jimmy Fallon once too.

Still no increase for DHS during Thanksgiving week though :sad2: They are just completely clueless.

Just read this - I get they have to say something and try to paint a more positive position, but feels almost insulting to say "yeah, we got rid of these amazing shows everyone loves, but instead we have the cavalcades and Joy in the grass in EPCOT- basically the same thing so stop complaining"
Ya .. that letter just showed how little entertainment offerings they have. LOL.

Has Universal cut its street entertainment like the drummers on the scaffolding or the Blues Brothers?

The only things Uni has cut is the parade and nighttime entertainment. They did bring back the projection/water fountain show at Uni for a few nights recently. The character dance thing on the street still happens though, which involves a few floats that don’t go far and a variety of characters. Some shows are modified to allow for distancing between the actors/singers. Pretty much all the characters are doing distanced m&g’s too. Actual m&g’s where you can talk to them and get a photo. All of which makes Disney’s move to cut entertainment look really bad. If Universal has kept their entertainment, why can’t Disney? Money seems like a lame excuse when their nearby competitor sees the value in providing entertainment.

Edit: Barney show was stopped I think. Not many people went to that even pre-covid, which I find sad as a 90’s child!

Last edited:

The only things Uni has cut is the parade and nighttime entertainment. They did bring back the projection/water fountain show at Uni for a few nights recently. The character dance thing on the street still happens though, which involves a few floats that don’t go far and a variety of characters. Some shows are modified to allow for distancing between the actors/singers. Pretty much all the characters are doing distanced m&g’s too. Actual m&g’s where you can talk to them and get a photo. All of which makes Disney’s move to cut entertainment look really bad. If Universal has kept their entertainment, why can’t Disney? Money seems like a lame excuse when their nearby competitor sees the value in providing entertainment.

It certainly is money but also as compared to normal their revenues are taking more of a hit due to more restrictions, etc

While I think they could bring back more than they have they appear to feel that any extra revenue that might come from upping offerings won't cover the extra expense it would take to provide those extra offerings

Cedar Fair Rumor

Cedar Fair is supposedly considering not reopening California’s Great America and relocating some of it’s rides. If true, this would be the industry’s biggest casualty for the year. Very much an unconfirmed rumor.
Following up on this rumor. Seems quite unlikely now considering they’re working on bringing back ride effects.

Im really debating how this took them so long...did they just not think they were gonna need it or....

Maybe hoping they wouldn't? Obviously wasn't needed with crowds when they first reopened and feels like crowds increased pretty rapidly. Plus, I totally probably weren't sure how long they would be in this "mode" for - but clearly they know this is going to last for quite some time so now adjusting

I do think sometimes they are a little slow to make changes - like I get not doing this in August but could have by mid Sept.

Maybe hoping they wouldn't? Obviously wasn't needed with crowds when they first reopened and feels like crowds increased pretty rapidly. Plus, I totally probably weren't sure how long they would be in this "mode" for - but clearly they know this is going to last for quite some time so now adjusting

I do think sometimes they are a little slow to make changes - like I get not doing this in August but could have by mid Sept.

I wonder if they had supply issues with plexiglass, so decided to put it where it was most necessary first. I have heard a lot businesses having issues getting it. Maybe not so much now, but back this summer.

I wonder if they had supply issues with plexiglass, so decided to put it where it was most necessary first. I have heard a lot businesses having issues getting it. Maybe not so much now, but back this summer.
I am sure that’s part of it but also with the extremely limited attendance/capacity in July, it wasn’t really needed. Now to increase ride capacity it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter