News Round Up 2020

While it will be nice to not have to arrive before park opening, this will just mean the BGs are gone by 07:00:01 instead of 07:00:02. I would image there will be more people trying to get the first BGs now since they don't have to be in the park.

Until they can increase ride capacity (and improve reliability) moving the BG times won't do much.

We were there 2 weeks ago. Our first day at HS we got BG 39 at the 10am attempt. RotR was down for 90 minutes before noon. Our BG was called at 1:40pm. We made it inside and it broke down for another hour. It was 3:10 before we made it on. A week later, we went to HS with 3 other groups. Of the 4 groups of us trying for a BG at 10am and 2pm, only 1 group was able to get a BG.

j

I've read WDW recently installed plexiglass, allowing non-same party riders to share a ride vehicle. No more single rider sitting alone.

It's not true, I've gotten into the vq for it from the I4 ramp on universal Blvd

Good to know thanks. We waited in the parking ramp 25 minutes just to get through the temp checks.

So we didn't think we would get into IOA in time.

And are you also saying that the 2PM RoTR can be done from outside DHS? Your park pass will not need to be scanned first? (similar to the 7AM).

While it will be nice to not have to arrive before park opening, this will just mean the BGs are gone by 07:00:01 instead of 07:00:02. I would image there will be more people trying to get the first BGs now since they don't have to be in the park.

Until they can increase ride capacity (and improve reliability) moving the BG times won't do much.

We were there 2 weeks ago. Our first day at HS we got BG 39 at the 10am attempt. RotR was down for 90 minutes before noon. Our BG was called at 1:40pm. We made it inside and it broke down for another hour. It was 3:10 before we made it on. A week later, we went to HS with 3 other groups. Of the 4 groups of us trying for a BG at 10am and 2pm, only 1 group was able to get a BG.

j
The good thing is if you don't get one, you can change parks and try again a different day.

This was discussed in the main thread here. I don’t think Disney’s IT is that advanced to know exactly where you are, and what their quantifications are for what’s an hour away. I’m in Tampa, it usually takes me between an hour and an hour and a half to get to the park. I better be able to make BGs at 7am from my home because I for sure can get to HS for a 10am group if I get an early group.
Several other companies have similar location requirements in their apps. For example, you can't see wait times for six flags unless you are on property. AVIS won't let you pick your own car until you are in the city of pick up.

Check out this cool new animatronic video from DisneyResearchHub. Without skin, it is nightmare fuel but it looks like it may redefine what we think of animatronics in the parks.

https://youtu.be/D8_VmWWRJgE

This video describes the development of a system for lifelike gaze in human-robot interactions using a humanoid animatronic bust. We present a general architecture that seeks not only to create gaze interactions from a technological standpoint, but also through the lens of character animation where the fidelity and believability of motion is paramount; that is we seek to create an interaction that demonstrates the illusion of life.

Good to know thanks. We waited in the parking ramp 25 minutes just to get through the temp checks.

So we didn't think we would get into IOA in time.

And are you also saying that the 2PM RoTR can be done from outside DHS? Your park pass will not need to be scanned first? (similar to the 7AM).
Well the new wording says you gave ro be inside DHS, so I'm not sure if you've scanned earlier in the day and left I'd it would work. I would say it will add long as you scanned in

For the 2pm drop, you'll need to be tapped into the park (same as now). The changes being made is for the 10am drop only.

Ah OK thanks. :thumbsup2

So that is indeed a different policy than we were told for IOA/Hagrids-no required tap in there after all.

Check out this cool new animatronic video from DisneyResearchHub. Without skin, it is nightmare fuel but it looks like it may redefine what we think of animatronics in the parks.

This video describes the development of a system for lifelike gaze in human-robot interactions using a humanoid animatronic bust. We present a general architecture that seeks not only to create gaze interactions from a technological standpoint, but also through the lens of character animation where the fidelity and believability of motion is paramount; that is we seek to create an interaction that demonstrates the illusion of life.

all the little movements remind me of how when they first built the Hall of Presidents they had the background ones constantly doing little movements to make them seem more real vs being completely static and then just "come to life" when it was there part ... this seems the same that real humans are constantly having tiny movements even when still

Though DHS is pretty booked for passholders - especially for the rest of this year.

Not saying some won't try still but not like they can just grab a park reservation that morning to try and if not repeat the next day

I am sure there will be some gaming of the system (like every system) but overall this seems like a net positive move
Right .. I can see this as a flexibility benefit to just resort guests or normal ticket holders as those spots don't seem to be filling up like the AP ones .. though it would still be a gamble IF those spots are filled up.

I could .. for example .. just make a DHS Reservation for every day of my trip and just switch out (that morning) to another park on days I didn't get in a BG . thus giving me way more chances to get on.

I may switch around my park reservation days a bit for an upcoming trip -- with this strategy in mind and put DHS on the front end of my trip to try for a BG as opposed to the end of the trip (which was falling on a Friday/Saturday).

So .. like others .. I imagine that BGs will go even FASTER now because it is WAY more convenient to just "try" now.

Right .. I can see this as a flexibility benefit to just resort guests or normal ticket holders as those spots don't seem to be filling up like the AP ones .. though it would still be a gamble IF those spots are filled up.

I could .. for example .. just make a DHS Reservation for every day of my trip and just switch out (that morning) to another park on days I didn't get in a BG . thus giving me way more chances to get on.

I may switch around my park reservation days a bit for an upcoming trip -- with this strategy in mind and put DHS on the front end of my trip to try for a BG as opposed to the end of the trip (which was falling on a Friday/Saturday).

So .. like others .. I imagine that BGs will go even FASTER now because it is WAY more convenient to just "try" now.

I think it will increase demand slightly due to those factors, but I think the increased capacity from having the particians up will more than offset so compared to how it has been for the past months I think it is a net positive - and also a positive to rope drop in general at the park

I think it will increase demand slightly due to those factors, but I think the increased capacity from having the particians up will more than offset so compared to how it has been for the past months I think it is a net positive - and also a positive to rope drop in general at the park
True ..without having to use it, I've been worried to "miss out" on a huge ride simply because I couldn't click fast enough or not getting to the park early enough. I feel better about it now without the "pressure" of being in the park and being "ready" at a certain time with family in tow. Will be easier to do that from the comfort of a hotel room.

Though what probably will happen is ROPE DROP will be just as crowded now as people just have more time free and will just getting in line for SDD, MMRR or MFSR. Heck .. since this "forces" them to get up before 7:00 AM .. might as well get ready early and head over to the park, right? But I would gather you'll see less congestion of everyone stopping and standing right at 10:00 AM. Heh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter