• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw minions in theater. I sat there the whole time wanting to like it but thought I can't take this gibberish anymore. My sisters enjoyed it of course.

That right there was my issue. Thankfully I didn't waste money to see it, and I wanted to like it, but it just kind of got on my nerves. I was just over it about 30 minutes in. Eh.

The Fast & Furious stuff is stupid, but it's fun. It's just so over-the-top ridiculous that I can enjoy it on DVD or cable. I wouldn't pay to see it in the theater. Plus, we are car people, and the cars are so varied that they have a wide appeal.

We liked Minions. They are pretty cute, and the movies have a nice evil change of pace that you don't usually get with Disney cartoons. I loved the family that picked them up hitchhiking. I know I have a Minion as my avatar, but it was just too cute and they got rid of my Cheshire Cat:( I am not really an uber fan. We haven't seen Inside-Out yet, but only because DS was at Grandma's when it was released and saw it with her. It's in our Netflix queue. I think we tend to like the "cerebral" ones, since Wall-E and Up are some of our favorites.

I am cerebral all day at work, so sometimes it's nice to see something silly, fun, and cute. I used to love watching Beavis & Butthead before I went to bed and college. It was a good way to relax the mind:) I would have to say that a lot of the Disney stuff isn't exactly cerebral, especially most of the princessy stuff. Frozen was barely there. It was cute the first time I saw it, but I am getting pretty sick of it now. DS still loves it, but he's in choir and loves to sing the songs:sad2:

Just to be clear: I love minions...my two clowns do also.

We listen to the songs in the car...a copy of the bluray dropped under the tree. I love it...good, silly fun.

And I also Love the Delta Force...and we were just talking about how great Roadhouse and Point Break - swayze classics - were just yesterday...

Everybody likes a guilty pleasure.

Fast and the furious and the transformers sequels equate to the same
Thing to me: crap for snotty 16 year olds that are over privileged and aren't developing into effective adults. Just my opinion.

Disney had just 2 movies (out of 15) gross under $40M while Universal had 9 (out of 23).

Right...we can establish that they don't do similar movies...

But we also don't see two $200 mil budget bombs on the other sides ledgers also...which Disney has had quite a few of in the last few years.

Very true...

The "fast and the furious"...basically stupidity on film...is the real difference.

But I'm still stunned at how well minions did...proving yet again that people don't want "cerebral" like inside out and love the air conditioning in the summer.

We hated Minions. My four year still says "Mom, we don't ever have to see Minions again, do we? It was terrible." :rotfl2:

We hated Minions. My four year still says "Mom, we don't ever have to see Minions again, do we? It was terrible." :rotfl2:

Different strokes...

I was so
Thoroughly underimpressed with frozen...I thought it was "tangled light"...

Especially the songs...just read the lyrics...they are bad off Broadway quality.

Different strokes...

I was so
Thoroughly underimpressed with frozen...I thought it was "tangled light"...

Especially the songs...just read the lyrics...they are bad off Broadway quality.

I don't need to read the lyrics. Had to watch the movie too many times. Have every song memorized. Not by choice. Thank goodness the Frozen bug has left our house. She's moved onto Charlie Brown and classic scooby doo.

Right...we can establish that they don't do similar movies...

But we also don't see two $200 mil budget bombs on the other sides ledgers also...which Disney has had quite a few of in the last few years.
7 of the 9 movies that grossed under $40M were wide realeases on over 2500 screens. And the two "bombs" you mention still made about $100M each. Not total flops but definitely well below what they should have been.

7 of the 9 movies that grossed under $40M were wide realeases on over 2500 screens. And the two "bombs" you mention still made about $100M each. Not total flops but definitely well below what they should have been.

This is not a "Disney is better than ____" type discussion.

It's really just pointing out both had their issues and made their bucks other ways.

Tomorrowland and good dinosaur would both have to make $300-400 globally to cover costs including logistics and advertising...so they won't likely come close to "making" anything...even with home media sales.

I'm not talking about "better than". I'm breaking down numbers for perspective. Both studios did fantastic and made a ton of money. But Universal made many more movies and had their share of failures too...

Crimson Peak, Steve Jobs, Seventh Son (hube bomb), and Blackhat (huge bomb) all lost a ton of money for them.

Universal seems to still be ok with just making movies though...

Disney will not...they develop the product lines before it seems they do the plots sometimes...so the bombs are bigger

I'm not talking about "better than". I'm breaking down numbers for perspective. Both studios did fantastic and made a ton of money. But Universal made many more movies and had their share of failures too...

Crimson Peak, Steve Jobs, Seventh Son (hube bomb), and Blackhat (huge bomb) all lost a ton of money for them.

Not that this isn't way off topic - but no way Seventh Son was a "Huge bomb". I looked it up, the movie cost $95 million (that's a middling budget nowadays) and took in $115 million worldwide. Yes it tanked in the US and certainly lost money - but not a "Huge Bomb". Tomorrowland was a bigger bomb, which had a $195 million, took in $200 million, but undoubtably spent about 10X what Seventh Son did on Marketing.

Blackhat was more in line with a bomb in that it only made $19 million worldwide - but only had a $70 million budget.

Hardly anything truly "bombs" anymore because of foreign gross. Fantastic Four for it's disastrous US release of $56 million, still made $168 million worldwide on a supposed $120 million budget. Terminator Genysis bombed big time in the US making just $89 million, but made $440 million world wide. Even Jupiter Ascending made $185 million worldwide on a $179 million budget even though it made a mere $47 million in the US.

OK - sorry for the distraction.

I truly don't understand the hate for Tomorrowland. I enjoyed it, a lot actually. Got myself 2 pins after watching it. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. :rolleyes1

Not that this isn't way off topic - but no way Seventh Son was a "Huge bomb". I looked it up, the movie cost $95 million (that's a middling budget nowadays) and took in $115 million worldwide. Yes it tanked in the US and certainly lost money - but not a "Huge Bomb". Tomorrowland was a bigger bomb, which had a $195 million, took in $200 million, but undoubtably spent about 10X what Seventh Son did on Marketing.

Blackhat was more in line with a bomb in that it only made $19 million worldwide - but only had a $70 million budget.

Hardly anything truly "bombs" anymore because of foreign gross. Fantastic Four for it's disastrous US release of $56 million, still made $168 million worldwide on a supposed $120 million budget. Terminator Genysis bombed big time in the US making just $89 million, but made $440 million world wide. Even Jupiter Ascending made $185 million worldwide on a $179 million budget even though it made a mere $47 million in the US.

OK - sorry for the distraction.

You're the highest quality "distraction" I know...

I truly don't understand the hate for Tomorrowland. I enjoyed it, a lot actually. Got myself 2 pins after watching it. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. :rolleyes1

I personally liked it, but I expected more towards the end. Pretty dissapointing ending in my opinion.

As for Minions... I've never been so annoyed by a marketing campaign as I was with Minions. Can't believe the crowds weren't tired by the time the film reached the theaters.

I personally liked it, but I expected more towards the end. Pretty dissapointing ending in my opinion.

As for Minions... I've never been so annoyed by a marketing campaign as I was with Minions. Can't believe the crowds weren't tired by the time the film reached the theaters.

There was another movie...I feel like it was just a few weeks ago...where the marketing was full on blitz for a solid
Month before it showed...

Some
Kind of sci fi movie...

There was another movie...I feel like it was just a few weeks ago...where the marketing was full on blitz for a solid
Month before it showed...

Some
Kind of sci fi movie...

Oh, but if I'm given choice between the Star Wars plain Cheerios and the Minions branded Lucky Charms, I'll take the plain Cheerios anytime. Same goes for the Star Wars Happy Meal toy. The difference is that one of them makes annoying noises. The other doesn't.

Oh, but if I'm given choice between the Star Wars plain Cheerios and the Minions branded Lucky Charms, I'll take the plain Cheerios anytime. Same goes for the Star Wars Happy Meal toy. The difference is that one of them makes annoying noises. The other doesn't.

Anyone who picks Cheerios over lucky charms needs their heads examined.

This goes beyond minions vs r2 d2

Some things are more important...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter