(No politics!!) how impacted will Guardians in Epcot be now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave Bautista said if they scrap the script he will try not to come back. I won't link the article, because it touches on too much politics and bad language, but you can search for it. He may be contractually obligated to do it, but he flat out says he'll try and get out of it.
If I was Disney, and it is contractually possible, I would just let him go. They could find another Drax in the time it takes me to post this reply.

If I was Disney, and it is contractually possible, I would just let him go. They could find another Drax in the time it takes me to post this reply.
You are probably right. But if he goes, will someone else more important follow? And then you are headed for reboot territory.

You are probably right. But if he goes, will someone else more important follow? And then you are headed for reboot territory.

Definitely would be hard to do it without Chris Pratt and, to a lesser extent, Zoe Saldana ... the others I could see making it without

Good thing is in the comics there were always changing members of the Guardians of the Galaxy so wouldn't be to hard to find other people to add ... Adam Warlock for example. Or, heck, they are getting the Fantastic 4 with the FOX deal and the Thing was a member at one point

Good thing is in the comics there were always changing members of the Guardians of the Galaxy so wouldn't be to hard to find other people to add ... Adam Warlock for example. Or, heck, they are getting the Fantastic 4 with the FOX deal and the Thing was a member at one point

I think Gunn said that this was more or less the closing chapter of this version of the Guardians and to me, seem to mean that GoTG3 was going to turn the series to this direction. Probably replacing a good portion of the crew with newer members similar to what they are probably going to do with/after A4 (I've been prepping for Cap's departure since Civil War :sad:)

There is a rumor that they have already scrapped James Gunn’s script...

https://mcucosmic.com/2018/08/08/ru...nns-script-for-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3/

Oddly enough I just read the exact opposite of that a couple hours ago. That Disney is trying to part ways, but keep his script which is complicating the separation proceedings. In part because Gunn didn't violate any part of his contract (since the issue occurred prior to the contract signing) and may wind up with $10 million as part of the termination.

Last edited:

Maybe I'm not cynical enough, but I don't know that Bautista is all that replaceable as Drax. I know the MCU has replaced actors before, and that really killed my interest in the character in question (Rhodey), but no one else seemed to care. And maybe it'll be the same again, but... Drax is a much more unique character, with a more distinctive manner of speech and a challenging gimmick. And I know people like to rag on Bautista's acting, but he's got more range than people say, it just doesn't carry over into the cadence of his speech. Recasting Drax is risky. Probably riskier than recasting half of the other major Guardians characters: I'd say only recasting Star Lord, Gamora, or Nebula would be more challenging.

I don't dare speculate what will actually happen, but if this continues on the track it seems to be, the question becomes who would be more out of character for Drax: a new actor in a recast, or the old actor mailing it in in protest? I just hope whatever happens works out for the movie and the cast.

Oddly enough I just read the exact opposite of that a couple hours ago. That Disney is trying to part ways, but keep his script which is complicating the separation proceedings. In part because Gunn didn't violate any part of his contract (since the issue occurred prior to the contract signing) and may wind up with $10 million as part of the termination.
Yeah that’s what I’m seeing also from several different places.

Maybe I'm not cynical enough, but I don't know that Bautista is all that replaceable as Drax. I know the MCU has replaced actors before, and that really killed my interest in the character in question (Rhodey), but no one else seemed to care.

I saw Iron Man 2 before the first one, so that's probably why it never bothered me. Plus Don Cheadle is much more likable than Terrence Howard. I agree with you about Bautista, though. He's really become Drax.

I like Dave Bautista as Drax. I hope that he reconsiders if only for the one movie.

All of this nonsense is getting tiresome.

This is indeed getting tiresome! I've been lurking since the first post, but I'll bite. Drax is my favorite Guardian. I super like Bautista as well, and I don't think I could stomach a recast. He's the reason DH was able to talk me into seeing GOG2, and then fully submerging me into the MCU. I am torn on this whole issue. I absolutely DO NOT condone what he said in those tweets - they are nothing short of despicable and absolutely horrid. However, I take large issue with the fact that he had previously apologized for them and has seemed to move on from that sort of life. I'm in the camp that Disney had to know about them before, but did nothing at the time until some guy decided to dig them up to fulfill his personal agenda, and I think that sucks.

I’ve seen that and I’ve seen reports they want to work out some sort of compromise.

I could see that - they might have to pay him anyway so maybe keep his script and have him be a consultant or even producer or something, but not the director which often becomes one of the faces of the films for the media circuit and stuff like that

So from what I had heard from a source in the studio it was fairly likely that Gunn was being brought back as director until the pictures surfaced yesterday of his themed party. Now there's additional concern for how the public will react if they reverse the decision.

Last edited:
So from what I had heard from a source in the studio it was fairly likely that Gunn was being brought back as director until the pictures surfaced yesterday of his themed party. Now there's additional concern for how the public will react if they reverse the decision.

I don't think the surfaced pics will cause any more issues than the tweets already have. It's all from around the same time period and the same type of failed humor. These pics also appear to be surfacing from the same sources as before only after rumors are swelling that Gunn may be back. They might as well starting showing clips from his Troma days which is maybe what next wave of attacks will be.

In the end Disney will just have to make their decision ... there's been so many rumors every day of how he's back and then he isn't. I don't think the pics paint him any better or worse

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter