(No politics!!) how impacted will Guardians in Epcot be now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the end Disney will just have to make their decision ... there's been so many rumors every day of how he's back and then he isn't. I don't think the pics paint him any better or worse

Well-said. We can speculate about the implications and effects of the decisions they might make, but at this time there really isn't a lot of information. But as far as the ride goes? The ultimate fate of Bautistia's contract is far more important here than what happens with Gunn. Ultimately the overall situation with the movie may be more important to Disney's bottom line, but we're talking about Epcot here, and most of hte people who'd care about a ride have no idea who Gunn is.

I don’t believe this has anything to do with the ride. It is more about if this ride fits into the EPCOT theme.

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 has officially been put on hold.

Production crews are being told to seek other work.

Looks like the ride will no longer open with the new film.

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 has officially been put on hold.

Production crews are being told to seek other work.

Looks like the ride will no longer open with the new film.

From what I've read, it seems this should be a short delay. Disney hadn't set a release date and the only time frame seems to be 2020. I believe the coster is slated to open in 2021. So they still could end up synching.

My question: why is this sort of "humor" okay in movies, or as stand up comedy, but as soon as it's said outside of that context, it's no longer okay? So many comedy movies and stand up comedians with degrading, offensive comments and no one bats an eye. They applaud it, laugh and eat it up. But as soon as the same thing is tweeted or posted on Facebook... Well OMG what a horrible human being. The hypocrisy and double standards...
That is absolutely true! Stand up comedians are definitely not held to the PC standards for some reason. Yeah I find the tweets pretty shocking in this day and age, but first thing that came to mind was that this guy has a sick and twisted sense of humor and I've been around that many times in my life. It's going to get to a point where no one can say a word....it already has really. IMO the way people act and the way they express themselves is how we all gravitate towards our tribe so to speak and know who we connect with. Without the ability to express ourselves, how will we know who to avoid? lol I like to be able to SEE the crazy on someone like the good old days! :D

It's reasonable to excuse stuff from a teenager years later. That wasn't the case here.

Also, these weren't just off color tweets. They were "jokes" about pedophilia.
Yeah but how many of us went around doing those, "what do you call a man with no arms and no legs" jokes back in the day? All of us, and those were pretty off color. We can't keep crucifying people for off color humor or there will be no one left to run anything. If we look hard enough we can find HUGE dirt on everyone simply because we never imagined that our words would someday hover over us in "the cloud". Not one of us is innocent....just lucky. I know I'd hate to see what popped up if I ran for president lol. This reminds me of a post I saw about photos of our grandparents in black and white wearing old timey clothes etc and what photos of peoples grandparents are going to look like 50 years from now with half dressed girls making duck lips in their bathroom mirror. lol

Yeah but how many of us went around doing those, "what do you call a man with no arms and no legs" jokes back in the day? All of us, and those were pretty off color. We can't keep crucifying people for off color humor or there will be no one left to run anything. If we look hard enough we can find HUGE dirt on everyone simply because we never imagined that our words would someday hover over us in "the cloud". Not one of us is innocent....just lucky. I know I'd hate to see what popped up if I ran for president lol. This reminds me of a post I saw about photos of our grandparents in black and white wearing old timey clothes etc and what photos of peoples grandparents are going to look like 50 years from now with half dressed girls making duck lips in their bathroom mirror. lol
Making jokes about raping children is not the same as making jokes about a paraplegic. One is rude and tasteless and the other is vile. Making jokes about rape and pedophilia is a more of a glimpse into ones heart. Normal people don’t “joke” about that. He needs help.

Making jokes about raping children is not the same as making jokes about a paraplegic. One is rude and tasteless and the other is vile. Making jokes about rape and pedophilia is a more of a glimpse into ones heart. Normal people don’t “joke” about that. He needs help.
Tell that to the paraplegic person. Jokes are jokes. Rickey Gervais says that you can tell a joke about absolutely anything. And I agree. We can't keep filtering and censoring people. We need to have a sense of humour as a society. Just because someone jokes about things doesn't mean they condone it.

Tell that to the paraplegic person. Jokes are jokes. Rickey Gervais says that you can tell a joke about absolutely anything. And I agree. We can't keep filtering and censoring people. We need to have a sense of humour as a society. Just because someone jokes about things doesn't mean they condone it.
For me, the sheer quantity of his material on pedophilia puts it into another category.

For me, the sheer quantity of his material on pedophilia puts it into another category.
I understand, but when we have an all or nothing stance on things it leaves no room for growth and change. Just punishment. How can we hold past deeds to the standards of 2018. He apologized and changed his humour prior to these events. And if Disney wasn't ok with it, why hire him in the first place? Tweets are public knowledge. Just my thoughts. Makes me sad. GOTG were amazing films and I can't see them being as good under anyone else.

I understand, but when we have an all or nothing stance on things it leaves no room for growth and change. Just punishment. How can we hold past deeds to the standards of 2018. He apologized and changed his humour prior to these events. And if Disney wasn't ok with it, why hire him in the first place? Tweets are public knowledge. Just my thoughts. Makes me sad. GOTG were amazing films and I can't see them being as good under anyone else.

I didn't find GoTG 2 that great, 1 was far better imo.

The age of the tweets are not the issue. If Disney overlooks this situation, they have to rehire Lassiter and apologize (rehire) Mitchell Musso over getting a DUI.

Why would they have to do that? I don't think you can compare those situations to that of Gunn's.

Just want to say that I'm a huge fan of his Guardian's films (my avatar references them lol) but honestly, I'm happy that Disney is sticking with this decision.

I'm not a "prude" but the stuff that he was "joking" about and him attending a "to catch a predator" party dressed a priest with his accompanying guest's dressed as children; is absolutely not funny in any context.

I'm not a parent, I'm a 28yo single male and it makes me sick to my stomach thinking about making any of these jokes just once. Let alone thousands of times online... And I question how anyone, in good faith, could consider that for just one second and then still not realize why what he said is offensive and beyond the pale.

Paedophilia and any joking around about it only serves to normalize it in the mind's of sick individuals who believe in this kind of behavior.

I absolutely draw the line at sexual violence against children.

Even if its your idea of dark humor. If you made that joke in front of my face; you would get a reaction from me that would scare you straight from ever thinking about doing that again, if you're lucky enough to not get a punch in the face.

rant over. sorry this just really infuriates me..

edit: words have meaning, and actions have consequences. Go ahead and post some paedophilia jokes under a verified twitter account with your name online to the masses and see what happens to you, I dare you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter