Norway Ride & Rivers Of Light (Disappointing Progress Updates)

Tried to look back through some of the most recent posts and didn't see anything so i figured i would ask: Do we think FEA is going to have a soft opening? We are leaving late at night on the 17th and it KILLS ME that we are missing the grand opening by 4 days.

Doesn't it open on june 17th?
ETA: sorry guess it is the 21st. I was thinking it opened with all the other stuff on the 17th

* NOTE: At one time, I was even offered a job at WDW as an Engineering Manager, but the pay was about 1/3 of my salary at the time..

SSSHHHHHHH!!!
don't let anyone know that! It might interfere with the joy of their 180+10 dining reservation planning and Bibbidi bookings!

It's been this way for decades - they want to charge Dom Level prices while paying out papa johns level compensation...
And so it continues to spin.

SSSHHHHHHH!!!
don't let anyone know that! It might interfere with the joy of their 180+10 dining reservation planning and Bibbidi bookings!

It's been this way for decades - they want to charge Dom Level prices while paying out papa johns level compensation...
And so it continues to spin.

They routinely pay 20-30% less than market average. Out of school, I applied for an accounting position, until I found out the compensation.....

Great company to start from sweeping the streets upwards, as long as you have 20 years to invest. They'll give you a Mickey ring and all....But to start a family and enjoy financial freedom, not so much. If you are not 18 and lost, not the place to look for a career.

I know the above post was OT. I apologize for the inconvenience.

They routinely pay 20-30% less than market average. Out of school, I applied for an accounting position, until I found out the compensation.....

Great company to start from sweeping the streets upwards, as long as you have 20 years to invest. They'll give you a Mickey ring and all....But to start a family and enjoy financial freedom, not so much. If you are not 18 and lost, not the place to look for a career.

I know the above post was OT. I apologize for the inconvenience.

You just described working for Disney to a T...

...and why they can't keep a lot of good people. You can't work for them and live a normal life by most people's standards.

You just described working for Disney to a T...

...and why they can't keep a lot of good people. You can't work for them and live a normal life by most people's standards.

I went to Stetson, and about a third of the people in my classes worked for Disney. They always spoke of the upward mobility, but I was always a little shocked by their salaries (the lowness of them). Most of them, at the time, spoke very highly of the company (at that time Disney was footing the bill for their school, which is great). I keep in contact with most of them, and only about 1/3 of them are still with WDW. Those who moved on did so for a huge raise (really just getting their market value). From my anecdotal data, Disney offers a path from minimum wage up, its just a very slow climb, and they will pay you 20-30% less for the opportunity.

I went to Stetson, and about a third of the people in my classes worked for Disney. They always spoke of the upward mobility, but I was always a little shocked by their salaries (the lowness of them). Most of them, at the time, spoke very highly of the company (at that time Disney was footing the bill for their school, which is great). I keep in contact with most of them, and only about 1/3 of them are still with WDW. Those who moved on did so for a huge raise (really just getting their market value). From my anecdotal data, Disney offers a path from minimum wage up, its just a very slow climb, and they will pay you 20-30% less for the opportunity.

I worked with many who started at minimum...excelled and were managers without acknowledgement/pay/fringe benefits...then had to do the same job for 9 years before being "promoted" to a manager making $35,000...

And they would throw parties and whisper in the halls about how lucky they were...as if got a job as a VP at Goldman Sachs. Entry level people who got "lucky" to get those jobs were scoffed at...ridiculed privately...or chalked up to corporate appearance agendas (they weren't always wrong...but usually)...

Disney used to combat that by providing free privileges, activities that provided intrinsic value, and better than market health, vacation benefits...

Eisner started the systematic destruction of those about 10 minutes after frank wells funeral...and I can only imagine how Panama jack Iger has taken glee in taking it to the limit...

A long tale...labor at Disney...

But it affects everything else we talk about.

Now back to regular programming ;)

So I just finished watching Kong. I'm about as impressed as I was after watching Antarctica... Pretty much I was extremely underwhelmed. It's just two physical sets (which aren't even that good, the Kong animatronic was miles behind the one in the queue) and four minutes staring at screens. After that I'm pretty sure my hopes for Frozen Ever After have increased, and I'm sure unless it's just the "let it go" scene we were told about I honestly do think Frozen will be so much better

No way this opens tomorrow right? no soft open and we haven't even heard about CMs riding.

No way this opens tomorrow right? no soft open and we haven't even heard about CMs riding.
On Lines, a cm posted that CM's have been riding today (though this is the only mention I've seen, so take that with a grain of salt!) but that there are still kinks to work out. To further stir the rumor pot, WDWNT posted it may not open tomorrow :(

Sorry to take this OT again but hell to the yes. I went to Rollins. I graduated in May. I have significant student loan debt from choosing to attend school out-of-state in order to be closer to the parks...and after observing friends and classmates' careers at all of them my end goal shifted to Universal. Now, I realise that since Comcast took over there things may eventually turn to much of the same, but for now...it's better. Plain and simple.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter