Norway Ride & Rivers Of Light (Disappointing Progress Updates)

[SPOILERS!]
Just finished watching it, first observation: I don't understand the story line. Granted I had my volume really low (didn't want to be judged for listening to Let it Go, lol) but I couldn't get a vibe for a story and it seemed like a "best-of" moments from the movie, even the backwards drop seemed out of place. Last mixed observation: Olaf didn't sound like Josh Gad, like I said my volume was low but it didn't sound like him. Just wishful thinking I wish they had an Olaf interact with guests at the end, would've been so awesome to have it like Roz in Mike and Sully to the Rescue, just trying to hear Olaf being his normal self would've been hilarious

Positive: The animatronics were AMAZING. The first Olaf was so fluid I thought it was a projection until we got up close to it (This was from WDWNT's video I should probably add, since I JUST heard he was broken for a couple). Probably the Olafs were the most impressive animatronics I've ever seen (coming from someone who thought the working Yeti wasn't that impressive may hinder my opinion though :P). The Marshmallow blowing smoke impressed me too. And secondly, I couldn't even tell it was Maelstrom. I'm actually impressed with how short the turnaround and it was an entirely different ride. Definitely a good job to Imagineering!

I'm going to need more viewings/riding it in person to actually know how I feel about it, but it did meet my expectations from first glance!

Last edited:
No way this opens tomorrow right? no soft open and we haven't even heard about CMs riding.

Oops.

Sorry to take this OT again but hell to the yes. I went to Rollins. I graduated in May. I have significant student loan debt from choosing to attend school out-of-state in order to be closer to the parks...and after observing friends and classmates' careers at all of them my end goal shifted to Universal. Now, I realise that since Comcast took over there things may eventually turn to much of the same, but for now...it's better. Plain and simple.

Okay, I've worked in insurance for 18 years (yikes). This trend is across the board. It's not just Disney, or engineering, etc. It's everywhere.

I was young and mostly dumb, and stuck with the same company for 13 years. Got 2-3% raises each year. It wasn't until I jumped ship the last two jobs, that I saw significant pay raises.

TrustTheScupper:

1) I told everyone the ride WAS NOT ready for prime-time.
2) Even after Disney announced it would open on the 21st.
. . . too bad they were not smart enough to do a Soft Opening
. . . but similar to the failures of Rohde at AK, WDW was too embarrassed (already) to delay the Frozen ride again
3) How did the ride go on first day, after three months of (alleged) trials and training.
4) It bombed !
. . . people were offered the choice of staying in the 5-hour line or getting a FP to another ride
. . . can one imagine all the little kiddies who were counting on the ride and their new favorite Princess?
. . . can anyone imagine how the parents are explaining the broken promise of the ride to the kiddies?
. . . this is not Public Relations at its best

NOTE: Disney decimated the Imagineering Dept a few years ago. They thought they could OUTSOURCE the work. So much for Ogre (I mean Iger) and his idea of cost savings. Contractors have no history. Contractors have no technical exposure of previous trials and tribulations. Before running manufacturing and assemble plants, I was heavily involved in Design and Manufacturing Engineering of cars, Big Rig trucks, and farm vehicles. (I have 11 USA patents with over 30 patent applications filed). One needs intimate familiarity with the technology and the operation to build projects on-time and on-budget. Something Disney gave up when they trounced the Imagineering Staffs. (I am glad I declined their employment offer as an Engineering Manager years ago.) The other current boondoggle is the delay of the Rivers of Light.

TrustTheScupper:

. . . but similar to the failures of Rohde at AK, WDW was too embarrassed (already) to delay the Frozen ride again
3) How did the ride go on first day, after three months of (alleged) trials and training.
4) It bombed !
. . . people were offered the choice of staying in the 5-hour line or getting a FP to another ride
. . . can one imagine all the little kiddies who were counting on the ride and their new favorite Princess?
. . . can anyone imagine how the parents are explaining the broken promise of the ride to the kiddies?

NOTE: Disney decimated the Imagineering Dept a few years ago. They thought they could OUTSOURCE the work. So much for Ogre (I mean Iger) and his idea of cost savings. Contractors have no history. Contractors have no technical exposure of previous trials and tribulations. Before running manufacturing and assemble plants, I was heavily involved in Design and Manufacturing Engineering of cars, Big Rig trucks, and farm vehicles. (I have 11 USA patents with over 30 patent applications filed). One needs intimate familiarity with the technology and the operation to build projects on-time and on-budget. Something Disney gave up when they trounced the Imagineering Staffs. (I am glad I declined their employment offer as an Engineering Manager years ago.) The other current boondoggle is the delay of the Rivers of Light.
1)How did the ride bomb?
2)It's getting high praise right now.
3)Sure it has 5 hour waits but that's not a bomb.
4)Anna and Elsa had 5 hour waits when they first started in the MK is that a bomb too?
5) I'm sorry but I think You're wrong here.

Note: I think it should also be expected that on opening day the ride is going to have long waits and maybe not run at full capacity. The ride doesn't have a huge capacity to begin with.

I'm glad you have your patents and whatever but there is no need to keep boasting that around and the fact that you're so much better for turning down Disneys job offer.

1)How did the ride bomb?
4)Anna and Elsa had 5 hour waits when they first started in the MK is that a bomb too?

Note: I think it should also be expected that on opening day the ride is going to have long waits and maybe not run at full capacity. The ride doesn't have a huge capacity to begin with.

I'm glad you have your patents and whatever but there is no need to keep boasting that around and the fact that you're so much better for turning down Disneys job offer.

It appears, by all accounts, to be a hit and not a bomb. That said, it does appear (at least on MDE) that it's been down the majority of the afternoon.

It appears, by all accounts, to be a hit and not a bomb. That said, it does appear (at least on MDE) that it's been down the majority of the afternoon.
It's open right now but they cut off the standbys line because they have been trying to catch up with FPs. Even with a FP waits are around 30 minutes. Without one five hours-ish.

TrustTheScupper:

4) It bombed !

Doesn't take an engineer to make a prediction that a new ride was going to have problems on opening day. All rides will have problems whether they have a soft open or not. SDMT was up and down the frst week after a long soft opening. Gringnotts was down more than it was up the first day and had to be evacuated several times the first week. How does that equate to bombing? It was at 300 minutes before any technical issues forced it to stop running. It was opening day. It has gotten mostly positive reviews from those that have ridden it.

TrustTheScupper:

4) It bombed !

I was gonna ask "how is it?"

Unfortunately it seems as though it is pretty much what I was thinking in advance.

1)How did the ride bomb?

I wouldn't tiptoe through the tulips with this particular "sage"

Honestly...just too much knowledge and predates you by a lot.

I'm not sure "bomb" is entirely accurate...one would hope that the glitches are smoothed out.

But I still have the fundamental questions: did they plop a giftshop designed ride in the showcase and disrupt the whole park concept for a movie that has faded (as many swore it wouldn't but did right on course)...not a "cultural phenomenon"?

...What are the redeeming qualities? Is this thing gonna look stale and silly in 5 years or less? Was it worth forcing Norway out? Was it worth the soul of the park?

Those are my questions...

I was gonna ask "how is it?"

Unfortunately it seems as though it is pretty much what I was thinking in advance.

From WDW News Today:
"If you didn't know, you couldn't guess that an attraction was here before. Hands down one of the most magical experiences we've seen"
"The animatronics, use of projections, physical sets, music, and LARGE open sets are spectacular."
"If Frozen Ever After and Shanghai's Pirates are any indications, we're in for an amazing experience with Avatar"

From Josh at EasyWDW:
"WOW! Frozen Ever After is a home run."

From Inside the Magic:
"Experience the new "Frozen Ever After" ride at Epcot! Incredible animatronics."

From WDW News Today:
"If you didn't know, you couldn't guess that an attraction was here before. Hands down one of the most magical experiences we've seen"
"The animatronics, use of projections, physical sets, music, and LARGE open sets are spectacular."
"If Frozen Ever After and Shanghai's Pirates are any indications, we're in for an amazing experience with Avatar"

From Josh at EasyWDW:
"WOW! Frozen Ever After is a home run."

From Inside the Magic:
"Experience the new "Frozen Ever After" ride at Epcot! Incredible animatronics."

Hmmm...ill watch the videos that pop up and take a look.

I'm not sure "amazing animatronics" justified the move...but we'll see

Personally I think it was a success, a lot of people seemed to be surprised by it. I think personally you were so looking for it to bomb that you're intentionally looking for the negatives to justify your points

Personally I think it was a success, a lot of people seemed to be surprised by it. I think personally you were so looking for it to bomb that you're intentionally looking for the negatives to justify your points

Personally...I think the measure of success or failure is longevity/reridability (if that's a word)...

I wouldn't put up a "mission accomplished" banner because there's a 5 hour wait from a captive audience.

The real test...and what they need...is something that is iconic. They haven't had that for awhile...

...personally speaking

Personally...I think the measure of success or failure is longevity/reridability (if that's a word)...

I wouldn't put up a "mission accomplished" banner because there's a 5 hour wait from a captive audience.

The real test...and what they need...is something that is iconic. They haven't had that for awhile...

...personally speaking
That's a good point that I completely forgot about... We would know if it is a couple months from now, not on opening day. I was just referring to the technical success of today for no soft openings and turnaround time. No opening day is perfect. Disneyland's was a nightmare, I believe Mine Train broke down first day too. (I was on property that day and I couldn't confirm it MGM's Wi-Fi was being wonky on my phone)

That's a good point that I completely forgot about... We would know if it is a couple months from now, not on opening day. I was just referring to the technical success of today for no soft openings and turnaround time. No opening day is perfect. Disneyland's was a nightmare, I believe Mine Train broke down first day too. (I was on property that day and I couldn't confirm it MGM's Wi-Fi was being wonky on my phone)

I was at Universal the second day it opened. Nothing worked. The boat captain on Jaws had to tell us what would have happened because Jaws would not come out of the water. King Kong's AA was stationary on at least one of the AAs at all times. They gave us free tickets on the way out because it was so bad.

And I think the scupper's critique was almost entirely technical.

That is a valid concern because...let's face it...they don't really build things well anymore. And their attempts have been less than ambitious.

Animal kingdom is perpetually overbudget and has not delivered much wow from a technical standpoint.

Hopefully the frozen ride is solid from a people mover perspective and at leas accomplishes that. Not filled with broke AA and be subject to too much down time. That will only exasperate existing problems.

Animal kingdom is perpetually overbudget and has not delivered much wow from a technical standpoint.

I'm sorry, but I need to interject here - when did we decide that success in the parks is measured by technological achievement? Yes, Animal Kingdom is not breaking new ground with it's technology (We'll see if that continues with Avatar), but it still has numerous experiences that you will not find in any other Disney park, let alone any standard theme park. This is also on top of some of the most extensive theming across the complex, one of the most popular and well received stage shows, and more.

So no, it may not be delivering some new technological marvel - but if that's what you (And I don't mean to single you out, mostly using this as a statement) deem as necessary for a success, you are most likely to be disappointed in whatever Disney/Universal does.

I'm sorry, but I need to interject here - when did we decide that success in the parks is measured by technological achievement? Yes, Animal Kingdom is not breaking new ground with it's technology (We'll see if that continues with Avatar), but it still has numerous experiences that you will not find in any other Disney park, let alone any standard theme park. This is also on top of some of the most extensive theming across the complex, one of the most popular and well received stage shows, and more.

So no, it may not be delivering some new technological marvel - but if that's what you (And I don't mean to single you out, mostly using this as a statement) deem as necessary for a success, you are most likely to be disappointed in whatever Disney/Universal does.

I'm not looking for cedar point...or anything in the same Galaxy...

The reality is that the cost of animal kingdom - even if some things are top notch - falls far short on the product from a business standpoint. It has been a problem since day one.

You need to think of the Parks in the aggregate - in Florida that means what it has and hasn't allowed to be done with the rest of the property.

It's not the tired "Disney doesn't do rollercoasters so it's ok" defense/mantra.

It's not about that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter