Not sure if this has been asked before, but..

Where does it say each dining plan credit includes an adult (over 21) beverage?

It includes a drink credit which can be used for alcohol. So (if one chooses) the child can drink water or pop that is paid for out of pocket and the adult can use the child's included beverage from the dining plan as their own glass of wine.

Obviously Disney can say no, but I think it's silly and no one is doing anything wrong by trying this.

I'm sure they will say no because they are losing out on money if they allow it.

It includes a drink credit which can be used for alcohol.

Correct, it includes a beverage credit. It actually says non-alcoholic beverage, with the caveat that those 21 and over may order an alcoholic beverage. I have not see where the plan states that each adult entitlement includes an alcoholic beverage, which seems to be how some people on this thread are loosely interpreting it. I just wanted to see a link where someone got that idea from.

So (if one chooses) the child can drink water or pop that is paid for out of pocket and the adult can use the child's included beverage from the dining plan as their own glass of wine.

Where is this coming from? Your interpretation? Or can you please link to where this is being reported as allowed at TS? That is pretty much what the OP is asking for.

Correct, it includes a beverage credit. It actually says non-alcoholic beverage, with the caveat that those 21 and over may order an alcoholic beverage. I have not see where the plan states that each adult entitlement includes an alcoholic beverage, which seems to be how some people on this thread are loosely interpreting it. I just wanted to see a link where someone got that idea from.

Where is this coming from? Your interpretation? Or can you please link to where this is being reported as allowed at TS? That is pretty much what the OP is asking for.

Did you read the rest of my post? I said obviously Disney can say no.

You don't think it's okay to do that. That's fine. I do. I don't care enough to read the fine print - my main point is it doesn't hurt to ask and you may get a cast member willing to oblige!

edited to add:
More importantly, no one is gaming any system, or taking advantage when asking for a drink that is technically paid for. Costs no more or less on the age of the person.

Did you read the rest of my post? I said obviously Disney can say no.

You don't think it's okay to do that. That's fine. I do. I don't care enough to read the fine print - my main point is it doesn't hurt to ask and you may get a cast member willing to oblige!

Ok well you stated it like it was fact that you could do this and that is what leads people to have certain expectations. That's why I asked where specifically you got that from.
I got my information from the WDW website, so that's all I really had to go on in trying to provide information to the OP. It never had anything to do with my opinion or what I think is or isn't ok to do.

Has anyone had success with ordering a adult beverage and then when done with it getting a cup of pop and not been charged for it? I know some places do this since they already have you ordering a higher priced beverage. I am asking in case I want to try a drink and don't like it and want to get some Ice Tea instead.

I think you're misunderstanding. What I, and others, suggested in this thread was that none of the child should order anything. The adults should order two meals, then share the food with their kids and keep the drinks.

It is not the children who are giving their drink to adults, it is adults who are giving their food to children.
I’m not misunderstanding. My comments are in regard to TS and you’re referring to QS. At a QS you can absolutely do what you’re suggesting because the credits aren’t split. At TS it will only work if you’re willing to use 2 adults credits, which wouldn’t really make any sense.

I’m not misunderstanding. My comments are in regard to TS and you’re referring to QS. At a QS you can absolutely do what you’re suggesting because the credits aren’t split. At TS it will only work if you’re willing to use 2 adults credits, which wouldn’t really make any sense.

Why wouldn't it work at a TS?

We've seen many people sharing 1 entrée for two, with the waiter hoping they might eventually end up being tipped accordingly.
Sharing two entrées for two should not be a problem for anyone.

Why wouldn't it work at a TS?

We've seen many people sharing 1 entrée for two, with the waiter hoping they might eventually end up being tipped accordingly.
Sharing two entrées for two should not be a problem for anyone.
I didn’t say it wouldn’t work. I said you would have to use 2 adult credits.

Insults are more effective when used correctly - it's not gaming the system.
If each dining plan paid for comes with an adult beverage (which costs considerably more than pop) - the adults at the table should be able to drink that beverage they paid for. That is using the drink option that comes with each dining plan - explain how that's gaming the system? They aren't using it twice.

The kid can have water. ;)

I guess I don't really understand why one would assume that a meal should include an alcoholic beverage if the person ordering the meal is not of drinking age. It's irrelevant whether or not someone paid for an "adult" dining plan. "Adult" in this context is Disney vernacular for charging more money for visitors over 10 years of age. While it's an "adult" plan, it's being used by someone who is not legally able to order, purchase or consume alcohol.

Given that this discussion even exists, that means that Disney's wording/policy is too vague. Programs shouldn't exist as such that they rely on the interpretation of waitstaff or the people "on the ground" to interpret them. It simply makes their jobs more difficult and makes the guest experience too confusing.

Maybe Disney eventually creates a tier of dining that includes alcohol (and charges more for it) and a tier of dining that does not, which I think would be the best way to address this. Perhaps they should bring back children 3-11 and juniors 12-17, and charge accordingly. For me the larger issue is that starting defining anyone at 10 as an "adult" is problematic, especially as park offerings become more diverse. But this is obviously the easiest way for Disney to boost margins. I would imagine Disney makes a lot of money on 10-16 year olds that don't do/eat/experience as much as older kids and young adults do. But I think as "drinking around the world" becomes more a part of the WDW experience (including the introduction of alcohol at MK restaurants), Disney needs to reevaluate how they define guests.

I guess I don't really understand why one would assume that a meal should include an alcoholic beverage if the person ordering the meal is not of drinking age. It's irrelevant whether or not someone paid for an "adult" dining plan. "Adult" in this context is Disney vernacular for charging more money for visitors over 10 years of age. While it's an "adult" plan, it's being used by someone who is not legally able to order, purchase or consume alcohol.

Given that this discussion even exists, that means that Disney's wording/policy is too vague. Programs shouldn't exist as such that they rely on the interpretation of waitstaff or the people "on the ground" to interpret them. It simply makes their jobs more difficult and makes the guest experience too confusing.

Maybe Disney eventually creates a tier of dining that includes alcohol (and charges more for it) and a tier of dining that does not, which I think would be the best way to address this. Perhaps they should bring back children 3-11 and juniors 12-17, and charge accordingly. For me the larger issue is that starting defining anyone at 10 as an "adult" is problematic, especially as park offerings become more diverse. But this is obviously the easiest way for Disney to boost margins. I would imagine Disney makes a lot of money on 10-16 year olds that don't do/eat/experience as much as older kids and young adults do. But I think as "drinking around the world" becomes more a part of the WDW experience (including the introduction of alcohol at MK restaurants), Disney needs to reevaluate how they define guests.

If I have 4 adults at my table but 3 of the adults don't drink and one does then there is nothing that stops the 4 of us from ordering the drinks and a glass of water and then gives all the drinks to the one person. So why should an adult that paid for the Dining plan not be able to maximize the credits and order drinks. The check is only going to reflect the drinks and take off accordingly. The system has no idea who ordered what and the age of the person.

If I have 4 adults at my table but 3 of the adults don't drink and one does then there is nothing that stops the 4 of us from ordering the drinks and a glass of water and then gives all the drinks to the one person. So why should an adult that paid for the Dining plan not be able to maximize the credits and order drinks. The check is only going to reflect the drinks and take off accordingly. The system has no idea who ordered what and the age of the person.

There is nothing stopping that scenario provided that all the adults are 21 & over.

In May i visited with my mother and my 9 year old niece on the dining plan. We went to Skippers Canteen where I and the kid both ordered a soda and my mother ordered a glass of wine. With our desserts I ordered an additional drink of hot tea and my mother ordered another glass of wine the waitress didn't charge my mother for her wine because I chose not to order alcohol with my credit, she said she could put it through as my drink. In addition she didn't charge me any additional fee for my soda or tea.
This happened at other restaurants as well so I don't see how it would be a problem just because the credit belongs to an under 21. It could definitely vary based on waiter but every time it was offered to us. We always had full intentions to pay for additional beverages alcoholic or otherwise but I don't think we were ever charged for them

There are varying reports on this. At QS locations, you may be asked to show ID, but some are saying you can get two alcoholic drinks per ID, so you might be able to. Some are saying they aren't being carded at all, so you would definitely be able to if that happens. At TS places, you can always ask, but I haven't seen any reports where people got more than their one drink at a TS place.

Still, if you are able to do this at every meal, you and DH will be drinking 4 alcoholic drinks each, every day. Not really passing judgment, but whew! That's a lot.

You are passing judgement

Bingo. You hit the nail on the head.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter