*o* August Check-In Thread *o*

Sounds like you have good plan for the hunt!
I wanna do a few pennys as well.. though I don’t yet know where the squisher are exactly but I just wanna do a few anyways... they are great little souvenirs...!

But I am a little uncertain about the logistics...
How much does a squished penny cost?
And does anyone know if you can change a few dollar bills into quarters (+ a few pennys) in the nearby shops?
Because right now I don’t have any coins at all...

51 cents each. 1 penny and 2 quarters to unlock the machine.
This means i need 4 rolls of quarters and 2 rolls of pennies ;)

I booked Walk In Walt's Footsteps today for Aug 30. It is $109pp if you don't have a discount. When I told her we have gone to WDW quite a bit in the past 5 years and this was our first trip to DL she started telling me what was different like FP's etc. It was like talking to a friend who has been there and wants to give you all the great tips. :)
Have a great time!!! I am so excited for this tour

We’re on our way right now. DH is driving, I’m looking through my park plans. We should be at the DLH some time in the afternoon (how late depends on LA traffic) and will visit friends for dinner.

Our first park day is tomorrow. I am listing details about our park plans below, for those of you as detail oriented & planning obsessed as I am. If you’re more the relaxed, wing-it type, the following probably isn’t your cup of tea...

Here are the basics. There’s me & my two daughters, using 3-day Park hoppers. We stay at DLH, have access to all EMH, ad are planning to use those early mornings excessively. DH joins us tomorrow all day & Friday afternoon—he’s in lectures at the conference that got us here the rest of the time. We will get Maxpass on our first day but will probably use the kiosks on Thu & Fri. I asked the kid which rides they want to do. They don’t care about Goofy’s Sky School or anything to do with Frozen in California Adventure & have little interest in any of the Fantasyland rides on Dland. No character meet & greets needed either. One kid hates Guardians & all water rides, the other hates them. One kid likes Haunted Mansion but hates Pirates, the other one avoids Haunted Mansion but loves Pirates.

We usually try to not spend too much time in food, so it’s typically counter service for us rather than sit-down. Won’t use the new mobile-ordering system much, since I’ll be using gift cards mostly.

So, here’s my plan... for your amusement, inspiration, or feedback if you’re a fellow planning nerd.

Tuesday night: lay out fannypacks for the kids, snacks, my park bag, and all our clothing, so we can simply grab & run the next morning.

Wednesday:

Get up 6am. Get dressed, grab our breakfast smoothies, and start speed walking to the CA turnstiles. Once they open for early admission, get our photos taken & trade our e-tickets for the real thing.

Hoof it to Paradise Pier while purchasing Max Pass & getting Incredicoaster FPs (DD2 was too scared to ride it when it was still California Screaming, but big sister talked her into trying it at least once). Return time (based on a combination of my writing down wait & return times for the past two weeks & the Touringplans software, FP RT should be a little after 8). I hope the Maxpass system won’t be quirky that day but will work smoothly!

If Toy Story Midway Mania is open, we start out by riding it as many times in a row as we can... one of our family traditions. Once the Ferris Wheel opens at 8 (I hope), two of us ride the swinging & the other two the non-swinging Gondolas.

By the time we’re done with that, the Incredicoaster FPs will probably be active. Before riding, I’m planning to get Soaring (hopefully next to instant at that time of day) FPs or Star Tours FPs (one of my favorite things about Maxpass is that I can book rides in the other park without having to run all the way over).

After riding Incredicoaster, we walk towards Soaring to ride it (with or w/o FP). If we have to wait for our FP return time for Soaring, we may ride Heimlich’s on the way over, just to say good-bye before the close down Bug’s Land.

Then we hop to Disneyland. While walking towards Star Tours, I’ll keep checking RSRs for a late afternoon return time (or, alternatively, a suitably timed set of Indy FPs (fondly remembering the olden days, when the FPs for both parks were disconnected from each other). After using our Star Tours FPs, we do Jungle Cruise & then split up so one kid/parent can ride Pirates & the other HM. Then we swap kids (since both adults would like to see the new Pirates scene) & the same kid & the other adult ride Pirates again, while the other two look around & see which wait times are relatively short (Big Thunder? Winnie the Poo? Tarzan’s Tree House?). Otherwise, there’s always people watching.

By that time we’ll start heading towards Plaza Inn for lunch. DH & kids ride Mad Tea Party (my old-lady inner ear & fast spinning rides don’t agree with each other), while I wait at Plaza Inn, so we get one of the front spots at the slowly building lunch line. Meanwhile I check RSR & Indy return times.

After lunch: Get two Splash Mountain FP (and later, to be timed accordingly, two Buzz Lightyear one’s, so that DD2 can do Buzz while DD1 does Splash or, alternatively, trying to catch a couple of evening Incredicoaster FPs). All of us do Autopia, Indy, and Davy Crockett’s & Gibson Girl ice cream Sunday (the latter two being two more family Disney traditions). Splash/Buzz (while walking I’ll keep an eye out for appropriately timed Grizzly River Run return times).

Hop back to California Adventure.

RSR, GRR for one kid while the other does the Jumping Jellies, dinner (not sure yet where), Symphony Swings, Minster’s Inc., Sorcerer’s Workshop (this is usually one of our last day activities, but the kids want to do the Disney character personality test thing with daddy). If we got evening Incredicoaster FPs, two of us ride it while the other two stake out spots for PTN.

Watch the parade, then drag our tired bodies back to the hotel.

We’ll see how much of this actually works out as planned... I'll let you guys know!

Have a great time!!! I am so excited for this tour

Our 8yo DD has not idea we are going, we have always told her that someday we will go. We have surprised her on all her WDW trips as well. She loves watching VLOG's of WDW and DL. The other day I showed her a VLOG of the tour. After watching a few mins she pointed at the TV and said, "We so have to do that when we go" She's going to flip. We have saved that tour for our last day.

Our 8yo DD has not idea we are going, we have always told her that someday we will go. We have surprised her on all her WDW trips as well. She loves watching VLOG's of WDW and DL. The other day I showed her a VLOG of the tour. After watching a few mins she pointed at the TV and said, "We so have to do that when we go" She's going to flip. We have saved that tour for our last day.
I love this!!!! You will have to get the camera ready for that

As a CM once told me you can only celebrate your birthday at Disney as long as your birthday is either 6 month before or 6 months after your trip. So you are safe. :D

Happy Birthday!!!

I guess I have to talk my mom into getting a birthday button then...!

we’ll do the trip as a late birthday present 4 month after her „real“ one...

But she is a little shy, so she isn’t to sure about it (she thinks her birthday was to long ago to wear a button)... but I think it would be fun if everyone knows we are celebrating...
And that’s exactly what we’ll do at the BB...( first time eating there and I am so exited)

I LOVE surprises!!! Not sure if you read through this while thread or not, but this trip for my 7 year old is a surprise too! It'll be her 5th trip to DL but this one is a total surprise, she won't know until we are driving down the I5 or Harbor blvd and she SEES it!!! What day are you surprising your daughter? Our big surprise is monday the 6th!

I LOVE surprises!!! Not sure if you read through this while thread or not, but this trip for my 7 year old is a surprise too! It'll be her 5th trip to DL but this one is a total surprise, she won't know until we are driving down the I5 or Harbor blvd and she SEES it!!! What day are you surprising your daughter? Our big surprise is monday the 6th!

I want someone to surprise me with a trip to disney!!!!

I want someone to surprise me with a trip to disney!!!!

Me too!! Maybe someday my husband will get the hint. That and a walk in Walt’s footsteps tour.

The problem for me with being surprised is that I’m too much of a planner...”what, we are staying where?!?l”...”you didn’t reserve any dining packages?!l”....”TWO of the nights don’t have fireworks or Fantasmic!”....I can see it. I’d be a wreck.

Me too!! Maybe someday my husband will get the hint. That and a walk in Walt’s footsteps tour.

The problem for me with being surprised is that I’m too much of a planner...”what, we are staying where?!?l”...”you didn’t reserve any dining packages?!l”....”TWO of the nights don’t have fireworks or Fantasmic!”....I can see it. I’d be a wreck.
Ha! This is me! How about instead of someone else planning it, someone else just pays for it? :thumbsup2

DD is 8 has been to WDW 4 times now and this will be our first to DL. For our first trip to WDW she was 3 1/2 so that was easy as we woke her up that morning and told her. The second and third trips she was 5 and 6 and we dismissed her from school early and told here then. One of the trips 2 of her teachers knew she was going and they watched us surprise her in the school parking lot from the teachers lounge window and asked of they could go with us.
The last trip back in October we were going to wait until that morning but we still had not packed yet, though we had all the clothes out, so we told her the afternoon before we left as we didn't want to wait until she was in bed to pack. DW had made her a Halloween tee shirt and we laid that out on the couch along with the magic bands and had asked her to come in that room. She was shocked when she saw what we had. She started yelling in excitement and all of a sudden stopped and asked when, so we told her the next morning and she started yelling again. She again all of a sudden stopped and asked for how long and we told her 9 nights and she started yelling again. Again she stopped and asked where we were staying and started up again. We left out the bigger surprise that her cousins and one of her grandmothers were going with us, there would be 14 of us in all. The next morning we drive to my parents and told her my mom was going to drive us to the airport but that we should ask her if she wanted to go with us. My brothers family then arrived in the big van that would take us to the airport and she was very surprised and all the kids were excited. My sisters family had a late arrival so they were all even more surprised the next morning at Fort Wilderness when they pulled up in their golf cart.

We are not sure when we will tell her this time but will probably tell her the day before so we can pack again :D

Day 2. I will write a more detailed trip report once I’m home (don’t want to burn too much data/battery), but wanted to report back that we had an absolutely amazing day yesterday. We got all the things done I had planned—and then some!!! We were very tired, and most of us had at least a few blisters (fortunately I brought moleskin for today), but it was so worth it!!! I love Maxpass so very, very much.

Since we already got all our headliners & must-dos done yesterday, today & tomorrow are slow & low pressure (with a little break in the middle of the day—yesterday we powered through from 6:30 @ the turnstiles to 9pm) which is fun, too.

Day 2. I will write a more detailed trip report once I’m home (don’t want to burn too much data/battery), but wanted to report back that we had an absolutely amazing day yesterday. We got all the things done I had planned—and then some!!! We were very tired, and most of us had at least a few blisters (fortunately I brought moleskin for today), but it was so worth it!!! I love Maxpass so very, very much.

Since we already got all our headliners & must-dos done yesterday, today & tomorrow are slow & low pressure (with a little break in the middle of the day—yesterday we powered through from 6:30 @ the turnstiles to 9pm) which is fun, too.

How hot was it today?

How hot was it today?
A tad less than yesterday but still very toasty. It helps that there has been a hint of a breeze, but neither of us has needed a jacket, not even late at night (peak temps yesterday were 94, ~90 today). We’re currently in the hotel room with the AC blasting & are about to head back. My children have expressed a desire for Dole Whips...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter