• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2015 Disneyland Half Marathon Thread.

Yes, The "correct" protocol for a first visit to Disneyland is to:

1. High Five the welcome sign over either train tunnel
2. Stop in at City hall for your button
3. Stop and give a salute of respect to Walt's memory as you pass his apartment. Located over the fire house
4. Proceed directly through the castle to Peter Pan.

:)

Oh good to know! :thumbsup2

I want to run this again next year because of the 10th anniversary, but I'm starting to think $$ wise it's a very bad idea. I've got a hefty dental bill I'm paying off and hoping to get out to WDW for W&D next year for my first Coast 2 Coast. It sucks having to make the tough decisions on which events to cut, especially when the one I might cut is in my own backyard.

But if I can make it happen, gosh darn it I will.

I hope you can make it happen! I followed along the 2014 thread and saw how encouraging you were to everyone and set up the meet and greet and all. Plus, your coast-to-coast plans are the same as mine! Except these will be my first half-marathons. :woohoo:

I'd LOVE to stay at one of the DLR hotels this year but I'm not sure it will be within my budget. Any tips on getting a deal for any of the three hotels? I've thought about booking Grand Californian on rented points but I'm not sure how much that really would be a "discount" on a holiday & race weekend.

I'd LOVE to stay at one of the DLR hotels this year but I'm not sure it will be within my budget. Any tips on getting a deal for any of the three hotels? I've thought about booking Grand Californian on rented points but I'm not sure how much that really would be a "discount" on a holiday & race weekend.

GetTravel does discounted rooms and park tix for the DL races. They usually have the best resort prices, but off property you can find rooms cheaper w/ an AAA card. If you go on their site and click on the DL 1/2 and accommodations, they might still have the prices from this year to give you an idea of cost.

GetTravel does discounted rooms and park tix for the DL races. They usually have the best resort prices, but off property you can find rooms cheaper w/ an AAA card. If you go on their site and click on the DL 1/2 and accommodations, they might still have the prices from this year to give you an idea of cost.

Thanks, that's helpful. I was there this year & stayed at a hotel that was close, but it ended up being about 1.5 miles of walking each way to get from door to park gate. Not much, but after doing the rD events and the running around the parks, that extra 1.5 miles was a bit exhausting ;)

Thanks, that's helpful. I was there this year & stayed at a hotel that was close, but it ended up being about 1.5 miles of walking each way to get from door to park gate. Not much, but after doing the rD events and the running around the parks, that extra 1.5 miles was a bit exhausting ;)

For last year's race I stayed at the Park Vue Inn across the street from the Entrance to Disneyland, right where the shuttle drops you off if you are staying at one of the off property hotels. About 0.7 Miles from room door to corral.

You walk through the esplanade and through downtown Disney to get to the starting line.

Thanks for starting this SgtTibbs! Like you, I also got hooked on the 5k and 10k this year (which was my first ever running event!), and plan to do the 5k and the half next year :goodvibes

We stayed at Desert Inn & Suites for this year's run, and the location was fantastic for both running related activities and park time! The hotel itself was very adequate too. The only trouble we had with it was that there was nowhere nice to sit around, so we spent far too much time in the parks between runs :rotfl:

For next year we'll be looking at a vacation rental, closer to the running activity zones, but further from the park entrances. Somewhere with a private pool and spa and nice areas for lounging around :thumbsup2 I'd love to stay at the DL Hotel, but it's just too expensive and we're concerned about crowding at the pool area over that weekend. For the cost of one room at the DLH, we can get a whole house with our very own pool and spa!

We booked our flights last night :thumbsup2

Landing at LAX late morning on the Wednesday prior to the run, leaving from SNA the Wednesday after.

Ooh fun! Which airline did you manage to book with? I am waiting on JetBlue to release their next segment of flights. :hyper:

We're coming from Melbourne via Hong Kong, then onto New York before returning home, so my flights will be pretty different to most people in this thread :rotfl:

But FWIW we're flying Qantas between Melbourne and HK, Cathay Pacific between HK and the US, and US Airways for our domestic flights within the US. We're going business/first with points, so had to get in early. Even as it was there was pretty limited availability and we had to make a couple of small changes to our itinerary.

Went for a 10k run today. Total disaster. Lead legs, light headed, a struggle from start to finish. Over 2-min/mile above my normal pace.

Not sure why I have days like this from time to time but I don't like them. Guess I'll go to bed early and see what tomorrow brings.

Anyone else have days like this?

Went for a 10k run today. Total disaster. Lead legs, light headed, a struggle from start to finish. Over 2-min/mile above my normal pace.

Not sure why I have days like this from time to time but I don't like them. Guess I'll go to bed early and see what tomorrow brings.

Anyone else have days like this?

I think we all have days like that. If it's only a once-off, I just put it down to having a bad day. It's only a problem that needs to be diagnosed and fixed if it starts happening more regularly.

FWIW, I'm not even up to 10k runs yet. I wasn't where I wanted to be in my training for the Disneyland 10k due to a couple of surgeries. We also had a few weeks off afterwards enjoying the rest of our trip around the US. I decided it would be better to repeat the last half of my program and hopefully be able to finish stronger this time around.

Do you have any events coming up that you're aiming for? After being in the last corral for the 10k, I've got a few lined up to try and improve my time for the half. I've got a 10k the first weekend of December, another one mid-January, and a 17k in March. Also doing the 5k colour run in a couple of weeks, but that's just for fun with some friends.

Went for a 10k run today. Total disaster. Lead legs, light headed, a struggle from start to finish. Over 2-min/mile above my normal pace. Not sure why I have days like this from time to time but I don't like them. Guess I'll go to bed early and see what tomorrow brings. Anyone else have days like this?
My run today was pretty tough. Sounds pretty much the same as yours except no light-headedness. I think my issue was that I drank zero water yesterday - so stupid with my long run scheduled for today!!

Hope you feel better tomorrow! :)

Isn't this coming year going to be an anniversary year for the DL Half? 10 years? Hope there is an awesome new medal :thumbsup2

I think we all have days like that. If it's only a once-off, I just put it down to having a bad day. It's only a problem that needs to be diagnosed and fixed if it starts happening more regularly.
I'm thinking I might have fall allergies I never really noticed before. I went back to my running journal and I had a very similar bad spell last year at this same time. I might start downing some Claritin just in case....

Do you have any events coming up that you're aiming for?
I'm doing the half marathon at the WDW Marathon in early Jan 2015 as the first leg of my Coast-to-Coast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter