• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2015 Disneyland Half Marathon Thread.

Went for a 10k run today. Total disaster. Lead legs, light headed, a struggle from start to finish. Over 2-min/mile above my normal pace. Not sure why I have days like this from time to time but I don't like them. Guess I'll go to bed early and see what tomorrow brings. Anyone else have days like this?

Had a similar experience on the treadmill this week. Slow, legs felt like crap for no good reason. I just try to put that behind me, take a break from running for a day, look at doing some other cross training (bike, yoga). I'm still very much a beginner at distance running, but I have heard lots of people discuss similar issues during their training. I think it helps to acknowledge it was a bad run, get support from friends (both in person and virtually), and move on.

Isn't this coming year going to be an anniversary year for the DL Half? 10 years? Hope there is an awesome new medal :thumbsup2

Ooh I hope so too! What a great year to do my first one :thumbsup2

I'm doing the half marathon at the WDW Marathon in early Jan 2015 as the first leg of my Coast-to-Coast.

Nice :thumbsup2 The coast to coast is definitely in my future too, but coming from Australia it's going to take a bit more planning logistically. I'll either need to save up enough money to visit the US twice in one year, or else do one of the WDW and DLR half marathons that are within a week of each other.

Nice :thumbsup2 The coast to coast is definitely in my future too, but coming from Australia it's going to take a bit more planning logistically. I'll either need to save up enough money to visit the US twice in one year, or else do one of the WDW and DLR half marathons that are within a week of each other.

I went on holiday down under in 2012, it's a long long long trip there and back.

Looking at the schedule, there are races in Nov 2015, and Jan 2016 that are one week apart on each coast. I'd think that would be your best bet if your legs (and budget) can handle it!

I wonder if Disney will ever offer a continent-to-continent medal.

I went on holiday down under in 2012, it's a long long long trip there and back.

Looking at the schedule, there are races in Nov 2015, and Jan 2016 that are one week apart on each coast. I'd think that would be your best bet if your legs (and budget) can handle it!

I wonder if Disney will ever offer a continent-to-continent medal.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking too. It won't be for a few years though (I'm thinking 2018 to celebrate my 35th birthday!) so anything could happen by then.

Disney first need to offer a RunDisney event in another continent before they can offer a continent to continent medal :rotfl: HK would be a handy location for me, although I'm thinking Paris will be the first international RunDisney event. Doesn't help me, it's even further away than the US!

Disney first need to offer a RunDisney event in another continent before they can offer a continent to continent medal :rotfl: HK would be a handy location for me, although I'm thinking Paris will be the first international RunDisney event. Doesn't help me, it's even further away than the US!

My heart hopes they do, my budget is of a different opinion.

Joining the "had a bad run" club. Went out on Wednesday, ran a faster pace than normal - was running with a group and feeling good (also pushing myself).

Went out today intending to do 4 miles (aiming for 6 miles on Sunday). Could only get through two miles, with long walk breaks in the second mile. Legs were very tired and just generally felt crappy.

Taking it easy tomorrow & wearing my compression socks today, which tend to help me when my legs are sore.

Does anyone remember how much the 3 and 4 day park hopper tickets cost with the rD discount? I'm working on a rough RunDisney budget for 2015 :)

Good luck everyone! We've participated the last few years but our travel is taking us to Europe over labor day this time, so we won't be able to run it again! :sick:

I hope there are blue skies and great weather! :3dglasses

Thanks - just checked there but they are only showing "tbd" for the 2015 races.

I just looked at my CC statement and we paid $230 each for our tickets. I know they were hoppers, and I believe they were 5 day tickets. It was a really good deal, I do remember that.

Found the tickets. Not *as* good a deal. 4 day hoppers for the 230. Still, the DL site shows 4 day hoppers as being 289, so it's still nice.

Hi! :wave2: Joining you all! I'll be doing my first official Disney Park 5k and first visit to Disneyland. :cool1:
My only Disney run (and most hellacious run, ever) was at Castaway Cay this past April. Which leaves me to ask, what kind of temperatures are we looking at that time of year? I generally only run outside in the early am, in the Northeastern part of the country.
Also, any ideas on how to get my teens to do this with me? Cash bribes, maybe? :rolleyes:

Hi! :wave2: Joining you all! I'll be doing my first official Disney Park 5k and first visit to Disneyland. :cool1:
My only Disney run (and most hellacious run, ever) was at Castaway Cay this past April. Which leaves me to ask, what kind of temperatures are we looking at that time of year? I generally only run outside in the early am, in the Northeastern part of the country.
Also, any ideas on how to get my teens to do this with me? Cash bribes, maybe? :rolleyes:

Welcome!

I have to admit I struggled with the heat this year. However, I am in Australia, so I was used to training in winter temperatures. I don't know about Fahrenheit, so sorry I can't be more specific, but I'm going to say that it shouldn't be as bad as Florida or Castaway Cay. The 5k wasn't as bad as the 10k since we were finished earlier before the sun was fully up.

In the lead up to the event, I tried to do my training at lunch time so I was getting used to running at a hotter time of day. It was still cooler than the minimum temps in Anaheim though :rotfl: I also arrived on the Tuesday so I had a few days to get more used to the heat before I had to run in it, and even did a practice run on the Wednesday.

As for your teens, why do you want to have them run with you? I think running is something you really have to decide to do for yourself, otherwise there is no motivation to train etc. If it's just something you want to do together and you're not concerned about actually running, you could probably all do it together at a decent-paced walk. They seemed pretty relaxed about walkers in the 5k.

Welcome!

The 5k wasn't as bad as the 10k since we were finished earlier before the sun was fully up.

As for your teens, why do you want to have them run with you? I think running is something you really have to decide to do for yourself, otherwise there is no motivation to train etc.

Thank you! From looking at photos it does appear the 5k starts fairly early. So maybe dry, 20c (70f) temperature? I could do that easily.
As for the kids, I thought it'd be a nice, family activity. I'd love to get them interested in running, but not sure how to sell it to them. I know when I was 16 I would have eaten dirt rather than run 3.1 miles, so I can live with them not doing this with me.

Thank you! From looking at photos it does appear the 5k starts fairly early. So maybe dry, 20c (70f) temperature? I could do that easily.
As for the kids, I thought it'd be a nice, family activity. I'd love to get them interested in running, but not sure how to sell it to them. I know when I was 16 I would have eaten dirt rather than run 3.1 miles, so I can live with them not doing this with me.

All the distances start at 5:30am. But obviously the 5k finishes earlier because it's a shorter distance.

I think it was a little warmer than 20c, and a little bit humid, but not too bad. It has been known to be quite humid before and could be again, but I'm sure it's not as bad as the Florida races.

You'll find it very difficult to get your teens to train if they have no interest in running. I would just work on setting a good example for them, and being encouraging and supportive if they do show any interest :thumbsup2

The runDisney site has the 5k posted as starting at 6:15 and the 10k, half marathon, and full marathon starting at 5:30.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter