• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2016 Disneyland Half Marathon Thread

Another runDisney race weekend that came and went much too quickly.

Had a fabulous time running my fourth Disneyland Half Marathon. I also did the 10k with my 10-year-old daughter. As much as I love running the halves, I think I much prefer the chance to do the 10ks with my kid since every picture I have running with her in the park, I have a huge smile on my face.

We were stopped by someone along Hollywood Blvd. in DCA who asked if they could take our picture. He identified himself as being with runDisney and asked if I followed their social media channels. I said I did and he replied that we'd see ourselves on Instagram and Twitter. I think this must have been the highlight of my daughter's weekend. She was so excited to keep looking to see how many people were liking the photo. Oh, these Gen Zer's and their technology ...

Instagram.jpg

Loved this weekend! I struggled with the last half of the half and am very thankful the stadium was there to give me a boost. Everyone I came across was super friendly just like at Tink, it just confirmed how much I love racing at DL. So happy @wehrengrizz got to join me! And that I had @courtneybeth and @Neon Cactus to chat with in the half corral it helped calm my nerves. Lunch/shopping with @Mickey Momma was so much fun! It was also nice running into @camaker right before I had to leave for my flight.(I felt like a zombie by that point so I hope I made sense lol) I am ready to sign up for next year!

Glad to hear that everyone had as much fun this year as I did. But this was haaarrrd for me. I missed a lot of training leading up to this due to injury and even the last two weeks leading up to the run I shut it down because I was feeling some tweaking. Both runs were disappointing time-wise, but considering everything I've gone through the last few months, I'll take it. At least I finished and received my first challenge medal and the reason I even started running: my Coast to Coast medal.

I feel like putting it on at work today!

Congratulations to everyone!

Congrats to all on a wonderful race weekend!! Had a blast during my first DL 1/2. Magical to run thru CarsLand, Paradise Pier, etc. I'll be back soon for sure. :)

We clocked an additional 11 miles of park hopping on Sunday! Was going on pure Mickey adrenaline! Ouchie, but so worth it! We don't get to CA that often.

@bananabean - I think your pace group story is making me not want to stick with the 3 hour pace group. Their intervals may not be my intervals - and I don't want to get too tired too quickly to meet a specific time. I noticed that they were pushing themselves through the classic car area because they'd be almost walking on the dirt trail to the stadium

Speaking of... I saw people climbing up the walls to get around others on that part. So dangerous!!

I would definitely stick to what you know. Running with the pace group - especially at DL where all the stops are at the beginning - really messed with my plan. I was running with the 2:30 pace group, which is only a couple of minutes faster than my normal pace, but I run 1:1 intervals (I switched from 3:1 and got faster so that's what I go with) and they were doing 1 minute walk per mile. I just couldn't manage that because that's not how I trained. I knew by the 5k mark (the longest distance I've ever run without intervals) that I couldn't keep it up for the half, but by that point it was too late for me to actually do what I wanted.

I would definitely stick to what you know. Running with the pace group - especially at DL where all the stops are at the beginning - really messed with my plan. I was running with the 2:30 pace group, which is only a couple of minutes faster than my normal pace, but I run 1:1 intervals (I switched from 3:1 and got faster so that's what I go with) and they were doing 1 minute walk per mile. I just couldn't manage that because that's not how I trained. I knew by the 5k mark (the longest distance I've ever run without intervals) that I couldn't keep it up for the half, but by that point it was too late for me to actually do what I wanted.
My wife ran with that group also

Loved this weekend! I struggled with the last half of the half and am very thankful the stadium was there to give me a boost. Everyone I came across was super friendly just like at Tink, it just confirmed how much I love racing at DL. So happy @wehrengrizz got to join me! And that I had @courtneybeth and @Neon Cactus to chat with in the half corral it helped calm my nerves. Lunch/shopping with @Mickey Momma was so much fun! It was also nice running into @camaker right before I had to leave for my flight.(I felt like a zombie by that point so I hope I made sense lol) I am ready to sign up for next year!

It was great meeting you and courtneybeth there too. It was good to put faces with the names and it made the pre-race time go fast. I loved the weekend. Got two full park days in, saw Paint the Night, said goodbye to the Twilight Zone and got my bling. I loved the 10k course and cut off over half a minute per mile from my training times. Half was a little tougher, but those ice cold sponges near Mile 7 were awesome and running through the stadium got the energy level back up. I think training was actually easier for me for the marathon because I hate treadmills and running in the Dallas summer is not ideal, where the months leading up to the marathon are better for running. But I loved every minute of it and I was sad to see it end. I did laugh though because right after the half, I took one look at the security lines for Disneyland which I'd have to go through to get to the ART shuttles and decided to walk the mile back to my hotel instead. On the plane ride back, I kept thinking on how a year ago, I'd maybe run (technically run/walked!) 13 miles maybe once and only recently and now I've done two huge Disney races. In thinking what's next, I'm kind of feeling a little Dopey...

I wasn't sure, now that I was going to get the Coast to Coast, if this would be it for a while, but now there's the possibility I may do Tinkerbell with my wife and daughters next year and a friend texted me last night to tell him when I'm running again and he might want to give it a try. I guess I'm having too much fun to quit now.

How do you add borders and stickers to Disneyland Photopass photos?? Am I missing something or is it not an option on the west coast?

I've only been able to do it at the Photopass counter at either Disneyland or California Adventure. For some reason it doesn't work online.

I can't even get the photos to show up on my any browser on my laptop (Mac). Meanwhile my bf sitting next to me (also a Mac) can see them no problem. I was also wondering about the borders. So if I go there anytime before they expire I will be able to do it?

those ice cold sponges near Mile 7 were awesome

I quite enjoyed this too!! Much needed for my slower pace!

Same. I am so bummed... but maybe it's coming?

I had to use an incognito/private window on google chrome to make it work.

So weird; I will try that. I know my for my bf it will only work on chrome. I will try your trick. :)

I hope everyone had an amazing race weekend! I flew home last night and completely crashed into bed at 7:30. That's totally a sign of a good weekend in my books. Just an FYI for anyone looking for dining options after races in the future, I discovered that Tortilla Joe's now has a 1 hour bottomless mimosa service (with multiple juice options) for $12. We went after the half and had a pretty good breakfast burrito which came with a fruit plate and churros for the table to share while we rehydrated with mimosas lol.

I hope everyone had an amazing race weekend! I flew home last night and completely crashed into bed at 7:30. That's totally a sign of a good weekend in my books. Just an FYI for anyone looking for dining options after races in the future, I discovered that Tortilla Joe's now has a 1 hour bottomless mimosa service (with multiple juice options) for $12. We went after the half and had a pretty good breakfast burrito which came with a fruit plate and churros for the table to share while we rehydrated with mimosas lol.
:drinking1 @MommaoffherRocker how did we NOT know this??? daaang. I almost ate there a few times, and almost suggested it. At least our pizza Saturday was better than my Thursday attempt! :rotfl2: Thanks @Davidg83 for the tip!!

:drinking1 @MommaoffherRocker how did we NOT know this??? daaang. I almost ate there a few times, and almost suggested it. At least our pizza Saturday was better than my Thursday attempt! :rotfl2: Thanks @Davidg83 for the tip!!

We discovered this by chance because Steakhouse was completely booked and wasn't taking any walkups. We noticed the brunch menu outside Tortilla Joe's and were sold on it once we saw the bottomless mimosas. They had your standard orange, orange/pineapple, and my favorite was cranberry. We ended up going back at dinner and they had really good margaritas too.

We discovered this by chance because Steakhouse was completely booked and wasn't taking any walkups. We noticed the brunch menu outside Tortilla Joe's and were sold on it once we saw the bottomless mimosas. They had your standard orange, orange/pineapple, and my favorite was cranberry. We ended up going back at dinner and they had really good margaritas too.
I think I was looking at a non-brunch menu for sure. I feel like I wouldn't have missed bottomless anything much less mimosas :) This restaurant will be on the list for any future races, especially if I'm chEARing again !!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter