Official 2017 D23 Expo Thread

You mean a $99 upsell on a $75 ticket for a rushed cupcake and a ten minute character gimmick before they shot people out of the place in a cannon?
No. I mean the awesome varied savory and sweet desserts where villains went table to table, interacted and took pics. With the cool stuff to take home (cups, light up poisoned appLes, etc.). That one. :D

Does anyone know offhand when we usually find out specific dates for D23 expo? I'm seriously considering 2019... ...

They will announce next summer. previously it was always August, but they moved to July to beat SDCC to the punch. Expect they will do the same. See you there!

Oh @skier_pete, must we keep tussling?

I don't want to argue about this. All I'm going to contribute is that gondolas bypass roads, which makes distances traveled shorter. Gondola speeds are on average about 12-14 mph these days, some faster. Unless you have some information the rest of us aren't privy to, there is no way to know the exact duration of these rides or how the cabins will be cooled/ventilated. I prefer to believe that these are an improvement to the property. If you prefer to believe otherwise, please do.

Well, it's a discussion, not an argument. (I don't have a horse in this race nor inside knowledge - I am only using logic.) I agree that we can't predict the exact time, but the ride times will vary significantly. You could in theory take FOUR legs (DHS -> CBR -> Riviera DVC -> Epcot) and if you want to argue to me that you can travel all 4 of these in less than 10 minutes I don't buy it. Transit times will likely range for 5 to 20 minutes. These cars will have INFANTS and as @lockedoutlogic ECV bound grandmas, people spending $300+ a night on hotel. Luxury American tourists. They are not going to be Look at the images of the gondolas travelling above CBR below....THEY ARE ENCLOSED. Ignore the one the drawing is taken from and look at the blue one on the left. Backside is glassed in, right side is glassed in. Next one with Mickey and Minnie - again back side, right side enclosed. Again, they are NOT going to enclose 6-8 people in small enclosed glass boxes and hang them out in the Florida sun. If you want to say they are going to be open air - then why wouldn't the images show this. I don't care what any reports say, it's extremely unlikely they won't have AC or some kind of forced air cooling system.

disneyskyliner.jpg

Monorails are incredibly expensive and gondolas will travel faster than boats.

Not to mention, in most cases the gondolas just keep on moving (the ones I've been on, they slow them down in the loading area to get on and they keep going). But we all know what WDW is like .... you're always stopping dark rides to get people on. I can't even imagine how often you'll be starting and stopping because someone elderly or disabled is getting on the gondola. (No offense at all, just seems like this thing can't possibly be as fast as everyone says when you get stopped 3 times in the Nemo ride and it takes twice the time to go through it ... unless there aren't allowances for transfers/disabilities which I would have to HIGHLY doubt).

From what TEA says and disney suggests ... most guests buy 1 or 2 day tickets.

What. The ever lovin hell. How is that even possible? No wait .. different question. WHY the hell?

They will announce next summer. previously it was always August, but they moved to July to beat SDCC to the punch. Expect they will do the same. See you there!

Well, it's a discussion, not an argument. (I don't have a horse in this race nor inside knowledge - I am only using logic.) I agree that we can't predict the exact time, but the ride times will vary significantly. You could in theory take FOUR legs (DHS -> CBR -> Riviera DVC -> Epcot) and if you want to argue to me that you can travel all 4 of these in less than 10 minutes I don't buy it. Transit times will likely range for 5 to 20 minutes. These cars will have INFANTS and as @lockedoutlogic ECV bound grandmas, people spending $300+ a night on hotel. Luxury American tourists. They are not going to be Look at the images of the gondolas travelling above CBR below....THEY ARE ENCLOSED. Ignore the one the drawing is taken from and look at the blue one on the left. Backside is glassed in, right side is glassed in. Next one with Mickey and Minnie - again back side, right side enclosed. Again, they are NOT going to enclose 6-8 people in small enclosed glass boxes and hang them out in the Florida sun. If you want to say they are going to be open air - then why wouldn't the images show this. I don't care what any reports say, it's extremely unlikely they won't have AC or some kind of forced air cooling system.

disneyskyliner.jpg
But what are horizontal lines across the end window, and that doohickey at the top left corner? Could they be an openable window?

If there are openable windows that large on both ends, then the forward movement of the cabin would maintain a good airflow at 15mph.

But what are horizontal lines across the end window, and that doohickey at the top left corner? Could they be an openable window?

If there are openable windows that large on both ends, then the forward movement of the cabin would maintain a good airflow at 15mph.

Disney is really gonna have user operated windows on an open circuit system?

And they shut the whole thing down on the daily downpours? You'd have too...

Can you imagine the revolt as the peasants on Friendship 1 look up in envy of the passengers in the ice-cold gondolas? They'll be liable to mutiny as they chant "We want the AC". Too soon for all the POTC fans? pirate:

Well the thing is the gondolas go to the SAME places...

Not to mention, in most cases the gondolas just keep on moving (the ones I've been on, they slow them down in the loading area to get on and they keep going). But we all know what WDW is like .... you're always stopping dark rides to get people on. I can't even imagine how often you'll be starting and stopping because someone elderly or disabled is getting on the gondola. (No offense at all, just seems like this thing can't possibly be as fast as everyone says when you get stopped 3 times in the Nemo ride and it takes twice the time to go through it ... unless there aren't allowances for transfers/disabilities which I would have to HIGHLY doubt).
I don't think you'll see them stopping and starting the rope to load. Detachable gondolas aren't designed to work that way. Of course, they would stop it if someone were in danger of getting caught halfway in when the door was closing.

Another possibility (just speculation) is to have a separate wheelchair loading area (like TSMM), where a cabin is taken offline and stopped, and then merged back into the stream. They could take one off when they put one back on; that would maintain spacing between cabins, and there would always be an empty cabin ready to be loaded in the offline area. I haven't found any existing installations like this on the web, but it seems feasible.

I guess I know what people mean by "Old Hollywood". But, are we forgetting that Mickey Mouse falls within the "Old Hollywood" umbrella? In addition to that, the current representation of Mickey is very close to the 1930s version of Mickey Mouse. So, it fits the theme/time period as well. Of course, the Great Movie Ride is a classic; BUT, it's an outdated classic that is not very popular and I'm very very excited to see Mickey in his own attraction (FINALLY!)!

Well thats also why I am fine with Mickey being the replacement. I just hope they keep the theme in general. I would love if RnR got an old hollywood overlay as well

They are not going to be Look at the images of the gondolas travelling above CBR below....THEY ARE ENCLOSED. Ignore the one the drawing is taken from and look at the blue one on the left. Backside is glassed in, right side is glassed in. Next one with Mickey and Minnie - again back side, right side enclosed.

disneyskyliner.jpg
I'm not sure that I would put that much assurance in an artist's rendering.... you said yourself that the one that they're drawn from is not enclosed, but DON'T look at that one for your gondola facts. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter