• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2017 D23 Expo Thread

Disney is really gonna have user operated windows on an open circuit system?

And they shut the whole thing down on the daily downpours? You'd have too...
If the windows tilt inward 45 degrees or less, there would be some water intrusion, but it would be limited. If the cabin's occupied, I'm sure the riders would slam the windows shut pretty quickly. Custodial could swipe the seats with a squeegee at the station. The seat appears to be a wood slat bench, which allows water to drain to the floor, and there could be a drain at the low point of the floor.

It bombed last year...don't know how they did this time...

But what gets me is this: three things identified as a STRAIGHT con game:

1. Villains soirée
2. After hours magic
3. Cabanas

...bombed...got caught in bed with poochie...

And YET we get pro disney, false laise faire defenses for them still.
I wouldn't care for extra hour add-ons as long as they:
-don't cut into existing hours too deeply (9 o'clock is waaaaay too early). Something like 11-2 I could see as reasonable.
-have a decent price point. I think they were charging 80 dollars or something? That's 80%ish of a full day ticket for a fraction of the time. Price it like e ride nights used to be and I can see it

If the windows tilt inward 45 degrees or less, there would be some water intrusion, but it would be limited. If the cabin's occupied, I'm sure the riders would slam the windows shut pretty quickly. Custodial could swipe the seats with a squeegee at the station. The seat appears to be a wood slat bench, which allows water to drain to the floor, and there could be a drain at the low point of the floor.

Again...it's the "who" and the "where" that dictates all moves

I really like the idea of the gondolas, I do. But...It's illegal to leave children or pets in a car here in South Florida and this system is TRYING to get evac times down to 12 minutes? Not to mention all these pie in the sky hopes people have of a WDW-wide gondola system with longer travel times would just be unbearable. Maybe it won't be a 68 degree a/c, but it has to be very nicely ventilated with decent air flow.

I'm a native Floridian - the 3 minutes in the car before the air starts cooling definitely make you sweat.

Last edited:
I wouldn't care for extra hour add-ons as long as they:
-don't cut into existing hours too deeply (9 o'clock is waaaaay too early). Something like 11-2 I could see as reasonable.
-have a decent price point. I think they were charging 80 dollars or something? That's 80%ish of a full day ticket for a fraction of the time. Price it like e ride nights used to be and I can see it

people who participated in them generally felt it was a great value - remember, you were able to get in a few hours before the park closed so you got to see the night time entertainment and then all the rides were walkon so people were getting in a lot more rides on headliners than during a typical day

Never say never. Can't recall for sure, but aren't the Friendship boats non-air conditioned? I know the windows open up to get some airflow, but I recall those typically being nice and toasty mid-summer...
Add the People Mover to the list of things that do not have A/C...:duck:

They will announce next summer. previously it was always August, but they moved to July to beat SDCC to the punch. Expect they will do the same. See you there!

Well, it's a discussion, not an argument. (I don't have a horse in this race nor inside knowledge - I am only using logic.) I agree that we can't predict the exact time, but the ride times will vary significantly. You could in theory take FOUR legs (DHS -> CBR -> Riviera DVC -> Epcot) and if you want to argue to me that you can travel all 4 of these in less than 10 minutes I don't buy it. Transit times will likely range for 5 to 20 minutes. These cars will have INFANTS and as @lockedoutlogic ECV bound grandmas, people spending $300+ a night on hotel. Luxury American tourists. They are not going to be Look at the images of the gondolas travelling above CBR below....THEY ARE ENCLOSED. Ignore the one the drawing is taken from and look at the blue one on the left. Backside is glassed in, right side is glassed in. Next one with Mickey and Minnie - again back side, right side enclosed. Again, they are NOT going to enclose 6-8 people in small enclosed glass boxes and hang them out in the Florida sun. If you want to say they are going to be open air - then why wouldn't the images show this. I don't care what any reports say, it's extremely unlikely they won't have AC or some kind of forced air cooling system.

disneyskyliner.jpg

This is simple. If they are truly "enclosed," that's no different than a car in the middle of summer. They will have A/C or people will literally die in them.

This is simple. If they are truly "enclosed," that's no different than a car in the middle of summer. They will have A/C or people will literally die in them.

The theory is if it's vented the movement of the car will be "enough" to cool people off...

...but to everyone who's been on a parking tram on a 98 degree day with 73% relative humidity in Orlando knows...that's a complete non-starter.

I'm laughing at how we are beating each other up over this...of all the things?

...but the flaw here is we're taking gondola pictures from third world swamps and ski lifts in the French alps and assuming that's what's going in...

...I think somebody at wdi might have asked: "hey, how ya gonna keep it cold?" When dopplemayer made their sales pitch...

And if they didn't...one of the 13 disney lawyers in the room sure as hell did.

people who participated in them generally felt it was a great value - remember, you were able to get in a few hours before the park closed so you got to see the night time entertainment and then all the rides were walkon so people were getting in a lot more rides on headliners than during a typical day
I didn't even think about the nighttime stuff. That's really crappy to do, imo. I'm all for after hours as long as it's actually after hours.

I'm still trying I figure out how $25-$50 per hour is a great "value" even if Walt himself serves you tea...

...but I'm sure those pounders will give me their $300 daily tickets when the monster gets out of the lab and starts ransacking the city

Last edited:
The theory is if it's vented the movement of the car will be "enough" to cool people off...

...but to everyone who's been on a parking tram on a 98 degree day with 73% relative humidity in Orlando knows...that's a complete non-starter.

I'm laughing at how we are beating each other up over this...of all the things?

...but the flaw here is we're taking gondola pictures from third world swamps and ski lifts in the French alps and assuming that's what's going in...

...I think somebody at wdi might have asked: "hey, how ya gonna keep it cold?" When dopplemayer made their sales pitch...

And if they didn't...one of the 13 disney lawyers in the room sure as hell did.
This did make me chuckle.

We're also breaking down the artist conception cartoon like it's a 3D photo.

One thing when comparing it to the trams, these won't have the heat of the asphalt beaming up at you.

This did make me chuckle.

We're also breaking down the artist conception cartoon like it's a 3D photo.

One thing when comparing it to the trams, these won't have the heat of the asphalt beaming up at you.

Swamp gas rises...it's not gonna make much of a difference.

The other thing that's being overlooked is the rain...as in the force of the subtropical storms coming across a 100 mile wide peninsula that's 500 miles long...

It rarely rains "lightly"...even in short spurts...

There's gonna be a hand crank or flaps that aunt robin is gonna have to seal up above pop so there isn't 3 inches of water in the cart by the time it gets down? With 30 seconds of notice?

I mean...come on

Swamp gas rises...it's not gonna make much of a difference.

The other thing that's being overlooked is the rain...as in the force of the subtropical storms coming across a 100 mile wide peninsula that's 500 miles long...

It rarely rains "lightly"...even in short spurts...

There's gonna be a hand crank or flaps that aunt robin is gonna have to seal up above pop so there isn't 3 inches of water in the cart by the time it gets down? With 30 seconds of notice?

I mean...come on
As someone who spent 7 seconds running from the car into the Clearwater Marine Aquarium during a tropical storm last year, I hear you.

I was drenched as if I had jumped in a pool.

Went to see dolphin tale?
Yep. HBO indoctrinated my daughter with it.

On the one hand, it was a day that it rained a lot at the parks so we didn't miss much. On the other hand... well, we had light rain on the walk in - then I remembered that I forgot the ticket confirmation in the car. The skies opened up and I was drenched.

Also, please don't look at the prices for that place. I don't want to argue anymore... :rolleyes1

This reminded me of DS and I being caught in a rainstorm when we couldn't find the car. We never misplace the car but this time we did somehow and we were absolutely soaked because the rain was coming down sideways. No thanks!

OK. I guess I'm going to have to be the one to say it. Disney announced way too many things on Saturday. I mean, I haven't even gotten to any of the Disneyland discussions.

I can't keep up with all of this!

The only solution is that they have to quickly complete some of these so they can be taken off of the discussion list - starting with the Space Restaurant. I mean it's just a restaurant. How long do those take to build?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter