Official 2019 HHN-29 Thread

This could be a silly question, but is there a brochure or something like that, that I could have sent to me from Universal? This is going to be a surprise 16th birthday trip for my son and I am trying to figure out something to wrap up or something like that to give to him to let him know we are going. We are going in September and his birthday is in October so he will be completely shocked! (again, if I can keep my big mouth shut until then!):rolleyes1

This could be a silly question, but is there a brochure or something like that, that I could have sent to me from Universal? This is going to be a surprise 16th birthday trip for my son and I am trying to figure out something to wrap up or something like that to give to him to let him know we are going. We are going in September and his birthday is in October so he will be completely shocked! (again, if I can keep my big mouth shut until then!):rolleyes1

They usually won't have any HHN brochures till closer to the event.

Ok word of warning here-I took my then 15 year old daughter last year-also as a 16th birthday trip/present. Her birthday is also in October, and we went in September. We had so much fun she wants to go again this year! Said she would give up everything else (Christmas, all other bday stuff etc) to go again just her and I-so guess what? We are back again this year (booked the hotel in December lol!) It can get to be an addiction quickly!!:rotfl2:
This year we are enjoying the announcements of the houses together too-the anticipation is alot of fun for us as well.

Absolutely, even if it’s pouring down rain, the show goes on. Non private tour 2 years ago we did have to huddle a few times under shelter but still got all the houses & Bill&Ted completed.

Private vs Public HHN RIP Tours

Private

You and up to 10 of your guests enjoy a guided, walking tour of one night @ HHN. You get to tweak the tour to fit your interests in coordination with your guide

Tours start @ 7 pm, with one mandatory 30 minute break. Naturally, you can request additional breaks

Tour prices aren’t generally posted on the HHN official website, you have to call the VIP dept 866-346-9350 for details. Once they are bookable, it will be posted here and email notices will be sent out by Universal if you have registered for updates.

Private RIP Tours include:

• VIP entrance to Universal Studios
  • Unlimited, immediate VIP entry to all haunted houses + up to 2 park attractions when with your RIP guide
  • Reserved seating at ‘the seated show’
  • After checkin Access to the RIP Lounge @ Cafe LaBamba-cash bar
  • Complimentary My Universal Photos three-day package, one per tour
  • Complimentary standard valet parking, one per tour
Public

Non-Private RIP Tours start at 8:00 pm and last up to 4 hours. Groups of up to 12 people plus the guide will be assigned.

I was told by the VIP dept in 2017 that if you have more than 4 people you cannot book a public tour & are directed to the Private one. If you want to book separately with your friends, there are no guarantees you will be placed on the same same tour. YMMV, confirm when booking the tour as for some reason the 2 pp in my party in 2017 were placed in a public tour with 10. I understand why it is best to not have one large group as they can easily monopolize the tour/activity decisions if the guide doesn’t have a firm grip on things.

Public RIP Tours:

• VIP entrance to Universal Studios
  • One-time ‘FOTL’ VIP entry to all haunted houses with your guide during the tour
  • Reserved seating at ‘the seated show’
  • Unlimited Express access to open regular park attractions with your RIP Tour lanyard after the tour, until park’s closing time
  • After checkin, access to to the RIP Lounge @ Cafe LaBamba-cash bar
  • Commemorative RIP Tour lanyard
  • Complimentary standard valet parking
Non-Private-RIP-Tour guest requests to be in the same party as other Non-Private RIP Tour guests cannot be guaranteed. Non-Private RIP Tours end once all inclusions (all haunted houses and Academy of Villains show) have been met.

Thank you so much, this is perfect!!!!

LOL Monykayln!! This is what i suspect will happen, he has wanted to go the HHN for a few years now. It will be just him and I as well. I am sooo excited! I just booked the hotel and flights yesterday, now waiting for all of the tickets to come out so I can decide which one will work best for us. :ssst:

Thank you RAPstar. If i am waiting until the first week in September to tell him, do you think i will be able to get a brochure by then?

Thank you RAPstar. If i am waiting until the first week in September to tell him, do you think i will be able to get a brochure by then?

I'm not sure if there will be an official brochure available before the event starts, but the HHN uber-fans will have a mockup map when all houses, scare zones, and live show(s) are confirmed. You might could print that out. Here's an example fan map from last year.

HHNSpecMapFinal-HNN-1024x552.jpg

Ok word of warning here-I took my then 15 year old daughter last year-also as a 16th birthday trip/present. Her birthday is also in October, and we went in September. We had so much fun she wants to go again this year! Said she would give up everything else (Christmas, all other bday stuff etc) to go again just her and I-so guess what? We are back again this year (booked the hotel in December lol!) It can get to be an addiction quickly!!:rotfl2:
This year we are enjoying the announcements of the houses together too-the anticipation is alot of fun for us as well.

One of the problems with them featuring Stranger Things is it has quite the fan base in tweens/teens. So much of the merchandise is geared to them, including clothing in girls sizes in target.

My GD is still crushed she didn’t get to see it last year at the ripe old age of 8. We do tend to start them early here in western Pa on horror stuff lol but the haunts here are nowhere in the league of what HHN offers as to realistic depictions of some seriously sick stuff. Put me in the camp if they aren’t old enough to see an R rated movie, you probably should think twice on taking them to HHN but I do think most teens who enjoy that genre of entertainment would be just fine.

Appears many of GDs classmates are also working upon their parents/grandparents to bring them for a first visit to HHN & Universal in general vs the other park this year, specifically to see the house. I’m getting asked this question repeatedly by people who know we are fans.

I went 3 nights last year, decidedly a much younger crowd than in the past I’ve observed. Adults usually can gauge what their kids can handle but, I’ve been telling everybody who asks me...HHN as a whole is a decidedly adult experience. Seems as though majority of teens have a great time. Most ‘little’ kids’ I’ve noticed in the parks during the event, and I’m talking kids in strollers even, have been crying and shrieking in fear. I’m not talking the good sorta shriek we screamers tend to let out

I would hate to see U dumb their offering down to appeal to a broader base. Keep it a decidedly overall adult event, with mature themes. It’s a place where many enjoy letting down their hair, akin to being in a bar or lounge. Of course there is tons of security in place but it’s not the same vibe as MNSSHP or the U parks during the day & therein is part of it’s appeal.

Naturally, I’m the bad guy again this year since ST is back. You really need to draw the line in the sand somewhere as a responsible adult, since Universal is vague at best as to an age limit :rolleyes1I suggest lucky 13 lol.

I really wish they would just state an age and be done with it. Naturally, the logistics involved with attempting to ‘card’ a child would be unwieldy. However, if & would at least put something on paper for potential guests to evaluate, guardians could decide if they are going to play by the rules.

Last edited:
I really wish they would just state an age and be done with it. Naturally, the logistics involved with attempting to ‘card’ a child would be unwieldy. However, if & would at least put something on paper for potential guests to evaluate, guardians could decide if they are going to play by the rules.

Well they do say "EVENT MAY BE TOO INTENSE FOR YOUNG CHILDREN AND IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 13. NO COSTUMES OR MASKS ALLOWED."

But yeah - it's changing and I don't see it going back - I'm pretty sure last year was the most successful ever - and a lot of those extra admission were the kids and family coming for ST.

Also to be fair - there are 8 year old that are perfectly fine with HHN - the bigger issue is parents who ignore the warning and then complain when it is too much - I have seen young kids in tears and panic. I even saw a person coming out of a house with a 6 month old - who does that - just the sounds and light is way too much for a baby.

This doesn’t really have to do with the age limit, but last year a lot of HHN fans were worried that they were trying to make the event more family friendly and eventually it would be an event for all ages like MNSSHP and Mike Aiello tweeted this out:

F2513624-5F54-4A45-9C1D-3090276FF959.jpeg

So while Stranger Things might appeal to a wider audience, I don’t think they’re ever planning on dumbing down or changing the whole event into something different.

Well written Janet......yes, I wish there was an enforced age limit.....as been said many times, yes some youngish kids can deal with it, but so many babies and toddlers that is just dreadful to see....lost count how many pushchairs we have seen over the years.....don't remember seeing as many back in 07, or maybe they were there and I just forget.

@Raeven I totally agree.....they won`t dumb it down to enable a family friendly event......HHN has too good a reputation to do that.....they`d lose more customers than they`d gain.

All amusement parks are under intense scrutiny by the bean counters to produce a profitable return to satisfy their stockholders. Marketing a big factor

Increasingly, the storyboard writers, artists, talent will need to walk the line very carefully. Difficult task to be expected to develop & produce a great eveny that measures up to their reputation & satisfy the fans. All while attempting to be welcoming to a different breed of guests

The gate is said to have been greatly increased last year, not a stretch to say ST was a big factor. They’d be foolish to not court that demographic

In my mind less gory absolutely equates to being more (modern) family friendly. One or two extra houses down that path may very well be a good way to get new blood in the park for the event

Will be interesting to see what path U takes

We live about an hour and a half from Orlando. We did not renew our Disney APs this year and instead got UO/IoA passes. We've only been a few times and are still learning the ropes but so far we're loving it!

I've done MNSSHP a couple times and that was fun, but I'm really looking forward to something actually scary this year! It would just be DD15 and me because my son is too young and horror isn't DH's thing. It is VERY much my daughter's and my thing!

So anyway, I'm trying to figure out what type of tickets/passes to buy. I'd like to learn more about the tickets where you can go more than once--Frequent Fear, or whatever they're called. We'd need to be able to come on weekends, though, and I think I read here that not all the passes are good on weekends.

I'm thinking we can either: spend a couple nights at a resort and go to HHN for two nights and get the Express Pass, and in that way be able to do everything, OR (and I'm leaning toward this option) buy one of those passes but not pay for express, and come up like every Saturday and maybe a couple Sundays, and do just a few things each time, leaving at a reasonable hour since I can't see leaving the parks and driving home at 1:00am. This way we'd eventually be able to do everything over the course of the season.

But I can't find any information about passes for this year. Does this come out later?

We live about an hour and a half from Orlando. We did not renew our Disney APs this year and instead got UO/IoA passes. We've only been a few times and are still learning the ropes but so far we're loving it!

I've done MNSSHP a couple times and that was fun, but I'm really looking forward to something actually scary this year! It would just be DD15 and me because my son is too young and horror isn't DH's thing. It is VERY much my daughter's and my thing!

So anyway, I'm trying to figure out what type of tickets/passes to buy. I'd like to learn more about the tickets where you can go more than once--Frequent Fear, or whatever they're called. We'd need to be able to come on weekends, though, and I think I read here that not all the passes are good on weekends.

I'm thinking we can either: spend a couple nights at a resort and go to HHN for two nights and get the Express Pass, and in that way be able to do everything, OR (and I'm leaning toward this option) buy one of those passes but not pay for express, and come up like every Saturday and maybe a couple Sundays, and do just a few things each time, leaving at a reasonable hour since I can't see leaving the parks and driving home at 1:00am. This way we'd eventually be able to do everything over the course of the season.

But I can't find any information about passes for this year. Does this come out later?

Multinight pass information usually is released July-ish. There is a BOGO offer and single night tickets available now I think but if you're planning on going for several nights, I'd wait to see what gets announced in July.

Multinight pass information usually is released July-ish. There is a BOGO offer and single night tickets available now I think but if you're planning on going for several nights, I'd wait to see what gets announced in July

Great; thanks! I'll be on the lookout for the announcements. I'm sure enough that this is what I'll want that it's probably worth missing out on the BOGO offer.

Quick question: When there's an Halloween Party that night, at what time does the park closes for those who do not attend the Halloween Party?

Also, does that mean there is not Cinematic Celebration show?

Thanks in advance!

You might want to look at pricing from last year's thread to get an idea of what might be offered. The prices, of course, will be higher this year.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/official-2018-hhn-28-thread.3673632/#post-59019196
https://www.disboards.com/threads/official-2018-hhn-28-thread.3673632/#post-59019202
https://www.disboards.com/threads/official-2018-hhn-28-thread.3673632/#post-59019211

Quick question: When there's an Halloween Party that night, at what time does the park closes for those who do not attend the Halloween Party?

Also, does that mean there is not Cinematic Celebration show?

Thanks in advance!

Historically, the park closes at 5:00 for non-HHN patrons. Correct, there historically has not been a Cinematic Celebration during the HHN season. However, I am hopeful they will have both Hogwarts light shows in IoA during HHN season.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter