"Official" 2019 Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party: Oh-So-Jolly Holiday Celebration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you SO much! You are totally the character guru. I really appreciate it :). Hope you enjoyed your cruise!

The cruise was amazing. It was only our second and our first special cruise. So many characters in so many outfits! Christmas casual, Christmas formal, cruise formal, beach day, pirates, cruise casual.

Hahaha, if you haven't guessed we really enjoy meeting characters.

I really enjoyed the ports too, we did Tortola, St Kitts and Castaway.

We bought tickets tonight for December 12! I can't wait! It'll be our first MVMCP. I haven't started a plan yet, but I'll start working on one soon. I'm not sure if we'll plan to meet any characters and I can't ride much so it will mostly be for the parade, fireworks, and treats.

I had the hot chocolate and I'd be shocked if there was milk in there. Powdered mix with water all the way, according to my taste buds. You could always ask before you grab one, to be safe.

I am guessing the hot chocolate is mix plus water. However, the mix has milk ingredients so is not be safe for anyone with a milk allergy or lactose intolerance.

SW

Oh, how interesting. We were debating going on the 8th after all, but now I’m hesitating- do CM-discounted parties end up being much more crowded for that reason?
My Halloween party was a CM party this year and it was nutty! They purposely pick nights that aren’t selling well so that they can fill them up that way.

At the Halloween party the CMs had the best costumes which was fun, I’m sure the Christmas party CM night will be even more festive.
I mainly just want a nice spot for the parade and I want some treats. Nothing too crazy so I think even if it’s busy it’ll be fun

Hi all. I'm looking for advice from those of you who have been to the parties. My family isn't going to attend the extra parties-within-a-party, and we have little to no interest in seeing the parade. We want to see the fireworks, but don't want to stake out a spot. We'd rather roll up last minute and stop briefly to watch, even if that means we have a less-than-ideal view.

Our priorities are experiencing all the overlay attractions, riding as many other rides as we can, collecting cookies and pretzels, soaking up the Christmas atmosphere, and DH wants to meet Jack and Sally if it's manageable.

We have FP+s for BTMRR, SDMT, and HM before the party starts, so we don't need to worry about those rides during.

What should we do first, second, ect? And where in the park can we be during the parades so we don't get trapped along the route, and how far ahead of the parade start times do we need to head there? Has anyone jumped in line for Jack and Sally right before closing (I've seen some mention but can't find confirmation) , and if so do you miss some closing event on Main St?

TIA

We attended the party on Sunday 11/24. It was a sold out party.

For anyone toying with whether to spring for a dessert party or the town square party, I just wanted to say, we were able to walk up about 15 minutes before the fireworks and found a great spot to watch it. There was tons of room for anyone who wanted to watch.

As we were leaving the party as the last parade was starting, there was plenty of viewing areas open in Town Square as well.

And it was a sold out party. I was very glad I didn’t spend the extra money for another party because it really wasn’t needed.

We enjoyed the party, but it was crowded (of course). A lot of the wait times for rides were at least 30 minutes, which just seems way too long when you’re used to fastpass! 🤣

I’m not sure I’d do it again, but it did buy us a few extra hours in our favorite park before we flew home the next morning.

Last edited:
We attended the party on Sunday 11/24. It was a sold out party.

For anyone toying with whether to spring for a dessert party or the town square party, I just wanted to say, we were able to walk up about 15 minutes before the fireworks and found a great spot to watch it. There was tons of room for anyone who wanted to watch.

As we were leaving the party as the last parade was starting, there was plenty of viewing areas open in Town Square as well.

And it was a sold out party. I was very glad I didn’t spend the extra money for another party because it really wasn’t needed.

We enjoyed the party, but it was crowded (of course). A lot of the wait times for rides were at least 30 minutes, which just seems way too long when you’re used to fastpass! 🤣

I’m not sure I’d do it again, but it did buy us a few extra hours in our favorite park before we flew home the next morning.

Where did you manage to find the spot for the fireworks? I suspect the party we're going to will be sold out, so am trying to strategise where to aim for!

Where did you manage to find the spot for the fireworks? I suspect the party we're going to will be sold out, so am trying to strategise where to aim for!

It was right by the statue of Walt. We had plenty of room, and it was honestly a better view than we had at the dessert party viewing area a few days earlier.

A tale of our lesson learned: We attended our first ever Very Merry on 11/14. Matter of fact, it was the first time I had ever done anything like this, Halloween or Christmas. I wasn't honestly expecting a park to ourselves, but I won't kid you, I had my inner squealing child inside me thinking it might be.

We arrived a little after 4pm by bus and instantly I was set back by the immense holiday decorated crowd in front of my small family. We played line games to find the shortest and eventually got ourselves the plastic ID bands on our wrists.

As we walked in, Main Street was a giant cluster of people, but an afternoon Move It parade had just started up, so I expected things to settle down. We were directed to the right as we entered the park and it was time for the Very Merry photos. Each line was as long as the last, so we chose one with the hand-held picture frame and had our Photo Pass picture taken. We then pressed to the sugar cookie grab. My kids were extremely excited. The cookie was plastic wrapped and a red sprinkle sugar Mickey. My kids devoured theirs. I took a piece of one. It tasted pretty good, but I was prepping for the night's treats, so put the rest in my bag.

We went to Tomorrowland and rode the Astro Orbiter, due to my kids requesting it. It was a 40 minute wait, which isn't uncommon for that ride and the park was still shared with day traffic. When done we wandered around and I kept hoping for the crowds to thin out. This is my park now! Keep it moving towards the exits! As the night descended on us and 6pm showed, the lights were amazing. The lines to the rides began to tick down to the 30 minute zone. Seven Dwarves consistently stayed almost an hour. Big Thunder was 40 minutes. I began to realize, by searching for ID bands, that all these people were here for Very Merry just like me. Ok. So it wasn't going to be as thinned out as I secretly hoped.

We stood in many lines for rides, but eventually heard music and tried to see the 8:15 stage show, but the sea of bobbing heads kept my 12 year old and 9 year old from seeing. So we retreated to find treats. We saw the fireworks pop for the conclusion of that stage show behind us. The castle was already iced. We went back into Tomorrowland and got in the line for peppermint cookies and apple cider. Not bad for an adult. My kids didn't like a peppermint cookie. We made our way to Snickerdoodle and Hot cocoa station. The castmembers were shoveling out the treats to open hands. More Peppermint. My kids were a little miffed by this.

We cut out and went to into Fantasy Land. Made our way to Goofy's Barnstormer and rode that in a line that was like 10 minutes. Easily done. Saw Santa Goofy from the ride, so tried to get my kids in that Photo Pass line, but when we arrived after the ride, we saw the line was actually a mile long. I realized there was a another stage show to watch, so we tried making our way to the castle again, but the throngs of people stopped us. We instead went to Haunted Mansion and had very little wait. Then Pirates. Each line was about 20 minutes or less.

We stopped periodically to try more cookies. The chocolate chip cookie station had some type of caramel crunch cookie. I wasn't sure the type. Kids liked this one. As we came back through Frontier Land to return to Haunted Mansion, we noticed the immensity of the crowd lining up against the road. I fumbled for the map. It was the parade set up! We struggled against a sea of human backsides to find some sort of place for the 4 of us. I swear every time I found a decent spot, a cast member would magically appear and shoo us from that spot. Even with another family directly standing right next to us. We'd get pushed off. I asked a gentleman to let my son squeeze in and he looked at me and didn't move. My son came up to his belt buckle. No way a 9 year old was blocking him.

With the parade now in full possession of everyone's eyes, I could see on my Disney app that the rides were losing lines very quickly. To my wonderment, Seven Dwarves still was reported 40 minutes. My 9 year old couldn't even see anything parade related and began to cry. Music! Lights! The backs of people... So, I said let's go to Thunder Mountain. It was reporting something close to 10 minutes.

So, we made our way through the cast member mandated open walking areas, but with the people mashed in, it was still hard. I said, Hey its Santa! Like a Christmas miracle, my son and daughter could see Santa. We paused to take in this amazing sight. Santa even appeared to wave to my son. I was thinking, This is good and for a moment it all was worth it.

Suddenly like a hurricane evacuation, the parade was over and every single person now still in front of us beat feet for Thunder Mountain. My 10 minute line sprang to 40 minutes in a heartbeat. We waited and rode. We made our way through cookie stations to get a cement seat for fireworks. By now the cookie stations were handing out cookies by the dozens. Always the Peppermint ones! My backpack was filled with piles of plastic wrapped cookies. The Egg Nog station was out of egg nog.

We found ourselves at the Crystal Palace and paused there for the fireworks. Rain. Oh didn't it begin to rain. Now chilled and wet my wife refused to give ground and there we stayed. We saw the most amazing fireworks. This is no joke. Totally captivated all 4 of us. Drizzling rain, damp, and cold... it did not matter. At the conclusion we had enough and pushed out to the front. So wasn't just about everyone else. We kept steadfast in our walking and found the Art of Animation bus waiting. We boarded, but it was full. Warm, but full. We glumly stood holding to handles and silver bars. My son fell asleep standing up. Hotel. Brush teeth. Bed.

I ended up with Peppermint cookies for the entire rest of our days at WDW. By the conclusion of the trip, the kids didn't mind the Peppermint.

In conclusion, I was ZERO prepared for a Very Merry Christmas event. I think you either ride Rides or you sit and watch parades/stage shows. It appears difficult to do both. My kids wanted Rides. So we rode many that night. But we missed every Stage event and missed the key Parade featured in just about every Disney Christmas related photo and video. And when you think you are getting cookies like the map says, be prepared for lots of Peppermint.

A tale of our lesson learned: We attended our first ever Very Merry on 11/14. Matter of fact, it was the first time I had ever done anything like this, Halloween or Christmas. I wasn't honestly expecting a park to ourselves, but I won't kid you, I had my inner squealing child inside me thinking it might be.

We arrived a little after 4pm by bus and instantly I was set back by the immense holiday decorated crowd in front of my small family. We played line games to find the shortest and eventually got ourselves the plastic ID bands on our wrists.

As we walked in, Main Street was a giant cluster of people, but an afternoon Move It parade had just started up, so I expected things to settle down. We were directed to the right as we entered the park and it was time for the Very Merry photos. Each line was as long as the last, so we chose one with the hand-held picture frame and had our Photo Pass picture taken. We then pressed to the sugar cookie grab. My kids were extremely excited. The cookie was plastic wrapped and a red sprinkle sugar Mickey. My kids devoured theirs. I took a piece of one. It tasted pretty good, but I was prepping for the night's treats, so put the rest in my bag.

We went to Tomorrowland and rode the Astro Orbiter, due to my kids requesting it. It was a 40 minute wait, which isn't uncommon for that ride and the park was still shared with day traffic. When done we wandered around and I kept hoping for the crowds to thin out. This is my park now! Keep it moving towards the exits! As the night descended on us and 6pm showed, the lights were amazing. The lines to the rides began to tick down to the 30 minute zone. Seven Dwarves consistently stayed almost an hour. Big Thunder was 40 minutes. I began to realize, by searching for ID bands, that all these people were here for Very Merry just like me. Ok. So it wasn't going to be as thinned out as I secretly hoped.

We stood in many lines for rides, but eventually heard music and tried to see the 8:15 stage show, but the sea of bobbing heads kept my 12 year old and 9 year old from seeing. So we retreated to find treats. We saw the fireworks pop for the conclusion of that stage show behind us. The castle was already iced. We went back into Tomorrowland and got in the line for peppermint cookies and apple cider. Not bad for an adult. My kids didn't like a peppermint cookie. We made our way to Snickerdoodle and Hot cocoa station. The castmembers were shoveling out the treats to open hands. More Peppermint. My kids were a little miffed by this.

We cut out and went to into Fantasy Land. Made our way to Goofy's Barnstormer and rode that in a line that was like 10 minutes. Easily done. Saw Santa Goofy from the ride, so tried to get my kids in that Photo Pass line, but when we arrived after the ride, we saw the line was actually a mile long. I realized there was a another stage show to watch, so we tried making our way to the castle again, but the throngs of people stopped us. We instead went to Haunted Mansion and had very little wait. Then Pirates. Each line was about 20 minutes or less.

We stopped periodically to try more cookies. The chocolate chip cookie station had some type of caramel crunch cookie. I wasn't sure the type. Kids liked this one. As we came back through Frontier Land to return to Haunted Mansion, we noticed the immensity of the crowd lining up against the road. I fumbled for the map. It was the parade set up! We struggled against a sea of human backsides to find some sort of place for the 4 of us. I swear every time I found a decent spot, a cast member would magically appear and shoo us from that spot. Even with another family directly standing right next to us. We'd get pushed off. I asked a gentleman to let my son squeeze in and he looked at me and didn't move. My son came up to his belt buckle. No way a 9 year old was blocking him.

With the parade now in full possession of everyone's eyes, I could see on my Disney app that the rides were losing lines very quickly. To my wonderment, Seven Dwarves still was reported 40 minutes. My 9 year old couldn't even see anything parade related and began to cry. Music! Lights! The backs of people... So, I said let's go to Thunder Mountain. It was reporting something close to 10 minutes.

So, we made our way through the cast member mandated open walking areas, but with the people mashed in, it was still hard. I said, Hey its Santa! Like a Christmas miracle, my son and daughter could see Santa. We paused to take in this amazing sight. Santa even appeared to wave to my son. I was thinking, This is good and for a moment it all was worth it.

Suddenly like a hurricane evacuation, the parade was over and every single person now still in front of us beat feet for Thunder Mountain. My 10 minute line sprang to 40 minutes in a heartbeat. We waited and rode. We made our way through cookie stations to get a cement seat for fireworks. By now the cookie stations were handing out cookies by the dozens. Always the Peppermint ones! My backpack was filled with piles of plastic wrapped cookies. The Egg Nog station was out of egg nog.

We found ourselves at the Crystal Palace and paused there for the fireworks. Rain. Oh didn't it begin to rain. Now chilled and wet my wife refused to give ground and there we stayed. We saw the most amazing fireworks. This is no joke. Totally captivated all 4 of us. Drizzling rain, damp, and cold... it did not matter. At the conclusion we had enough and pushed out to the front. So wasn't just about everyone else. We kept steadfast in our walking and found the Art of Animation bus waiting. We boarded, but it was full. Warm, but full. We glumly stood holding to handles and silver bars. My son fell asleep standing up. Hotel. Brush teeth. Bed.

I ended up with Peppermint cookies for the entire rest of our days at WDW. By the conclusion of the trip, the kids didn't mind the Peppermint.

In conclusion, I was ZERO prepared for a Very Merry Christmas event. I think you either ride Rides or you sit and watch parades/stage shows. It appears difficult to do both. My kids wanted Rides. So we rode many that night. But we missed every Stage event and missed the key Parade featured in just about every Disney Christmas related photo and video. And when you think you are getting cookies like the map says, be prepared for lots of Peppermint.

This really saddens me. Where is the magic? I remember when the parties WERE like having the park all to ourselves. So magical and so "extra" for all that extra money we paid! Now... what is the point? I am so disappointed for you and your family. The only thing redeeming in your post, for me, is that all the treats are peppermint because unlike your kids, I love peppermint. So... lucky me... going to sold out part on December 10, and expecting the throngs, and trying to figure out how to manage it so my daughter and myself will still feel the magic... At least your son can remember Santa waving at him... but sad that we have to salvage such a tiny moment from what should be an entire evening of magic... :(

@Orionreplay I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the party. I have not seen reported that most cookie locations were just giving peppermint, that is very strange. To my knowledge there are only 2 spots in the park that gives those out
These parties and really Disney parks in general are not the place to go without planning, hopefully since you have found these boards you can prepare better if you decide to attend again. Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you came without any solid plan?
I agree that the parties are more and more crowded but I know that with a loose plan you are able to accomplish a lot. On our night we planned for the parade, fireworks, tomorrowland show and a couple of rides. With a good plan you are able to get to your priorities.

@Orionreplay I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the party. I have not seen reported that most cookie locations were just giving peppermint, that is very strange. To my knowledge there are only 2 spots in the park that gives those out
These parties and really Disney parks in general are not the place to go without planning, hopefully since you have found these boards you can prepare better if you decide to attend again. Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you came without any solid plan?
I agree that the parties are more and more crowded but I know that with a loose plan you are able to accomplish a lot. On our night we planned for the parade, fireworks, tomorrowland show and a couple of rides. With a good plan you are able to get to your priorities.

You are right that planning makes it better... that goes for the entire vacation, not just the parties. It is, however, a shame that after paying so much for the hard ticket event, you can't just relax and enjoy and go with the flow... Do you have any suggestion for a good plan for the party? I will be with my 28 year old daughter - so just Mom and daughter not wanting to meet any characters, necessarily, but definitely want to ride the overlay rides, see the fireworks and parade...

You are right that planning makes it better... that goes for the entire vacation, not just the parties. It is, however, a shame that after paying so much for the hard ticket event, you can't just relax and enjoy and go with the flow... Do you have any suggestion for a good plan for the party? I will be with my 28 year old daughter - so just Mom and daughter not wanting to meet any characters, necessarily, but definitely want to ride the overlay rides, see the fireworks and parade...
Having lived here in Orlando since 97, being an AP and visiting the parks very often since 98 I can tell you that there are so many different "flows" of people you just have to have, at least, a loose plan.
I recommend, and this is with any visit to the parks be it for parties or just a regular day, pick 3 things you must do, and then the rest can be done more "on the fly"
Having realistic expectations is key and not over planning is important as well.
For this year, me and my DD19 we planned on seeing the first parade from our favorite spot (under the tree on town square so we could see the parade coming towards us with the castle in the background, fireworks and tomorrowland show. Also ride Space Mountain because of the overlay.
So with this in mind we booked a 5pm to 6pm fp for Jingle Cruise. Arrived at the park at 5:30pm, went over, rode JC, then walked around a bit just taking in the atmosphere as day guests left. Grabbed our spot very early, at 7pm This spot is popular with people that photograph the show and it's not possible to have for the 2nd parade because it's reserved for the people doing Tony's thing. While my DD19 held the spot I went to Casey's to grab dinner and to Plaza Parlor for the specialty party drink. After the parade we walked over to Frontierland to get some cookies and walked up to our fireworks spot 5 minutes before the show, by Crystal Palace, we had maybe 30 people around us in total, a very good spot for last minute, unobstructed viewing of fireworks.
After that we headed into Tomorrowland and watched the A Capella group followed by the Tomorrowland Christmas show. This put us at 11pm, Went on Space with 5 min wait, could've done the Indy speedway but we decided to just walk around and take in the atmosphere. Bought the gingerbread sundae, could've met the Tweedles as their line was also only 5 min. Walked slowly toward the front of the castle for the last castle show at midnight.

You are correct, we had no real plan. We had never been to the extra parties in the past, but this year felt a little more loose with the wallet. So I was going in eyes up and jaws down at the wonder of it all, but had little insight as to what was really about to happen to us. From stories I had heard and live YouTube streams, they seemed a little busy but nothing that was too terrible. What we experienced was quite the crowd. I don't know if it was sold out or not.

The cookie surprise was funny to me. Like, maybe, just maybe... the MK wasn't exactly prepared that night. While Cookie stations called out for Chocolate Chip, but got some caramel crunch instead. The Snickerdoodle just being a repeated Peppermint that the Launch Pad had. We took it all in stride, but it wasn't an exactly tight ship that night. And when we were being handed cookies by the baker's dozen, I was a little set back with what was happening.

As for the crowds and parades, that was our fault for not being prepared to stake out a claim and hold it. My kids really wanted the Rides that night. So we found ourselves drawn to those while others chose their spots along the parade route.

In hindsight, I think I believed there would just be room for all of us happy Very Merry attendees. We could pause in our Riding to see the parade and get back to it. But the reality seemed to be that if you choose a good spot for the parade... that is what you are doing for that hour or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter