Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we get a discount for cakes with our TIW card? We are getting a cake delivered during our CRT dinner and at Tea at the GF. I think we always get charged the 18% for our cakes because it has always been a room delivery.

Yes! You can apply the 20% TIW discount when a cake is delivered at a restaurant, but then it triggers an 18% gratuity on a cake that could cost $100 or more. I asked a manager to remove that portion of the gratuity on a cake once (but not the gratuity on our meal of course), just to see how difficult it would be. It was not an issue, but I felt like a jerk doing it!

I wanted to report back. The Hollywood Brown Derby gave me a different number (one I don't see listed anywhere here) to call. I spoke with the women there and explained to her that I wanted a Haunted Mansion themed birthday cake. She told me my options were to either get a cake with a screen printed image on it or she would email me so I could send pictures and tell her more in detail what I wanted. She said once she receives my email she will show it to the chef and see if its a possibility. I just sent her the email with my request so I will see where it goes from there.

Yes! You can apply the 20% TIW discount when a cake is delivered at a restaurant, but then it triggers an 18% gratuity on a cake that could cost $100 or more. I asked a manager to remove that portion of the gratuity on a cake once (but not the gratuity on our meal of course), just to see how difficult it would be. It was not an issue, but I felt like a jerk doing it!

Thanks! I was expecting to pay the 18% gratuity anyway so this is good news.

Okay last cake of the trip. Well hmmm it was a surprise for DH at our Narcossee's 10th anniversary dinner. When I placed my order I specified I wanted it to be mini cake with white cake with white frosting, with a cranberry red band around the bottom of both tiers and a red rose on top (which is what our wedding cake looked like. Which she was insistent that they don't recreate wedding cakes but when I described it she said that was fine).
We got a mini cake completely covered in red frosting with white scroll work on it. It looked beautiful and more ornate than what I requested but was so far from what I asked for it really didn't even resemble our wedding cake at all. Also, I don't like the taste of red food coloring and with the whole thing being covered in red frosting I wasn't able to eat any of it. DH loved it (though he at first thought it was some complimentary cake from our server) so that is what counts but I was very let down by it being that it was not at all what I asked for.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 257

Ive just seen the super cute cupcakes that people have been getting at CRT. Are these available at other locations? For example the contemporary or the poly? Also if you get either the cupcakes or a normal cake at CRT do you still pay gratuity as CRT has that already included in the cost of the dining. Just want to make sure I'm correct with my budgets :). Thanks as always.

Okay last cake of the trip. Well hmmm it was a surprise for DH at our Narcossee's 10th anniversary dinner. When I placed my order I specified I wanted it to be mini cake with white cake with white frosting, with a cranberry red band around the bottom of both tiers and a red rose on top (which is what our wedding cake looked like. Which she was insistent that they don't recreate wedding cakes but when I described it she said that was fine).
We got a mini cake completely covered in red frosting with white scroll work on it. It looked beautiful and more ornate than what I requested but was so far from what I asked for it really didn't even resemble our wedding cake at all. Also, I don't like the taste of red food coloring and with the whole thing being covered in red frosting I wasn't able to eat any of it. DH loved it (though he at first thought it was some complimentary cake from our server) so that is what counts but I was very let down by it being that it was not at all what I asked for.
I can certainly understand your disappointment at not being what you expected, but just wanted to say it is a beautiful cake!!

Does anyone have a pic of the Zebra cake available at the Animal Kingdom Lodge? Or if you have a pic of a cake you got there that you would like to share, please post.

A few weeks ago I called Pop to order a cake and I worked with Janet. She was so helpful on the phone. She said she likes to wait until 2 weeks before your arrival date to order so she called me back this past Wednesday. I ordered a 6" Halloween themed cake (she suggested a Mickey, goofy, and Donald dressed in Halloween outfit image). She charged my card that day. It was $23 for the cake, $15 for the image, and I paid an extra $15 for them to get a little more creative-$53 in total. She arranged for them to deliver it to our room at 9pm on our MNSSHP night. My experience working with her has been wonderful. I will post a picture when we get back home.

This thread has been so helpful!!

Does anyone have a pic of the Zebra cake available at the Animal Kingdom Lodge? Or if you have a pic of a cake you got there that you would like to share, please post.

This is what the Zebra (Dome) Cake at AKL looks like:

This is the custom cake I had made by Animal Kingdom Lodge a couple years ago:

ltuntitledgt208.jpg

ltuntitledgt212.jpg

ltuntitledgt215.jpg

I'm so excited to finally have a cake to share after reading about all of them on this great thread!

Price: Sorry I need to confirm. I want to say it was $40 but I need to find my notes
Place: Via Yacht Club private dining for delivery to Yachtsman Steakhouse
Timing: For dinner on Sept 23rd, I called to order on Sept 19.

Called the number as shown in the thread and it was super easy. Ordered chocolate cake with white chocolate mousse filling and a white ganache frosting.

That was it. I didn't say anything when I checked in since my DH was with me and it was for him, and didn't have a chance to mention to the server either so I was very happy to see him return with it when we were ready for dessert.

I did't give any instruction on the look, just flavors, so I was happy to see they added decorations. All you see is chocolate and edible.

The cake was even better than I imagined. Probably one of the best cakes I've had in a while. Definitely worth the money and as I mentioned on another thread, we seriously contemplated ordering one for the end of the week since it was that good.

Got my DS's cake yesterday. Everyone loved it and it tasted delicious (chocolate with dark chocolate mousse and chocolate buttercream). $113 at Chef Mickey's, we were a party of 7 so I did also have to pay the 18% gratuity on that which was a little annoying (I tried for two days to get ahold of the Contemporary cake line to pay ahead of time to avoid that charge but the didn't answer or return my messages).
I asked for HM purple wallpaper and hitchhiking ghosts and left the rest up to them. Personally, I would have preferred if it didn't have the roses on there (just little boy's birthday the roses seem like an odd choice, in our emails he said gravestones and trees or I would have said no to the roses) but the birthday boy adored it. It was a 6 inch and 5 of us ate it and we had half left.

I had been looking for a Haunted Mansion cake and this was perfect timing. I hope you don't mind I used your picture as the inspiration for my Dad's birthday cake for the end of the month. Hollywood Studios is going to do something similar for me. My idea had always been the ghosts and wallpaper so seeing yours was perfect. I will report back after we've had it but so far ordering from Hollywood Studios has gone a lot smoother then I had thought it might.

I had been looking for a Haunted Mansion cake and this was perfect timing. I hope you don't mind I used your picture as the inspiration for my Dad's birthday cake for the end of the month. Hollywood Studios is going to do something similar for me. My idea had always been the ghosts and wallpaper so seeing yours was perfect. I will report back after we've had it but so far ordering from Hollywood Studios has gone a lot smoother then I had thought it might.
Yay! That is wonderful! Can't wait to see it!

Trying to figure out what flavor cake and filling flavors I should do for my birthday cake this year. My chocolate-hating husband (he is ok, other than this major flaw ;) ) is coming along this year after sitting out the last two trips. My kids and I have gotten the ganache and peanut butter frosting suggested by Lurkyloo the last two years, but that is, of course, not an option. Anyone have a favorite interesting combo, i.e.., not vanilla/vanilla, that doesn't feature chocolate or white chocolate (since I don't like white chocolate)? We would order it to be delivered to our room at Beach Club and plan on a 6-inch cake, if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Trying to figure out what flavor cake and filling flavors I should do for my birthday cake this year. My chocolate-hating husband (he is ok, other than this major flaw ;) ) is coming along this year after sitting out the last two trips. My kids and I have gotten the ganache and peanut butter frosting suggested by Lurkyloo the last two years, but that is, of course, not an option. Anyone have a favorite interesting combo, i.e.., not vanilla/vanilla, that doesn't feature chocolate or white chocolate (since I don't like white chocolate)? We would order it to be delivered to our room at Beach Club and plan on a 6-inch cake, if that makes a difference. Thanks!

I LOVE the Bavarian cream with fresh raspberries. We usually do it with marble cake but I think it would be delicious with vanilla cake too!

People also love the tropical mousse and the combination of almond cake with amaretto crunch mousse. If it were me, I'd try to sneak past him some red velvet cake with cream cheese buttercream frosting (since Disney's red velvet barely tastes like chocolate at all).

I LOVE the Bavarian cream with fresh raspberries. We usually do it with marble cake but I think it would be delicious with vanilla cake too!

What is Bavarian cream, exactly? We have gotten custard and strawberries in the past and I remember it was pretty good (we ordered a 10-inch...which didn't fit in the fridge so it went bad after we each only had one slice!) so it was on my list. Thanks for the suggestion!

People also love the tropical mousse and the combination of almond cake with amaretto crunch mousse. If it were me, I'd try to sneak past him some red velvet cake with cream cheese buttercream frosting (since Disney's red velvet barely tastes like chocolate at all).

The amaretto crunch mousse sounds divine. I wasn't sure I could convince their pastry team to do that flavor but sounds like it is worth a shot!

He likes red velvet cake - go figure. But we get really good red velvet locally so it isn't "exotic" enough. Sigh.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter