Official Dopey 2017 Thread

I finally sat down with the trainer at work to go over my training plan. He liked what I had worked out so far and was able to help me refine my plan some. Most of it will be following various Higdon plans, but has me doing a cycle of the Hansons method beginner's plan leading into my half marathon this fall. I haven't been this excited about running in a long time. It's nice to be back out there and running.

I'm leaning more and more toward going Dopey next year, so I'll climb aboard! WDW full this year was my first full, and it went really well for me. I ran it and the 10K and definitely felt like if I'd had some back-to-back extra long runs in training, I'd have been fine to do all 4 races.

Dopey was a blast, but not sure if 2017 will be just marathon, Goofy or Dopey, kind of depends on that whole $$$$ thing. I need WDW marathon redemption for sure. My trip report of Dopey has been started if anyone wants to follow. I love reading others reports so hope it helps others wondering how it goes. Link in my signature.

You should definitely do Dopey again. Have to have a good experience from end to end. :)

So, I'll be visiting my brother this week, and meeting his son for the first time. He will be running Dopey next year as well. The whole goal of my running Dopey is to beat his times from 2014 Dopey, and hopefully his times from next year as well. Now he's trying to pick my mind and learn how I'm training. Part if me is trying to be vague due to the competitive nature between us and the other part wants to help him so he can have a good run too. I know he knows how to train, but I've done a lot more research them him. Maybe we'll talk about it some this weekend. Who knows.

So, I'll be visiting my brother this week, and meeting his son for the first time. He will be running Dopey next year as well. The whole goal of my running Dopey is to beat his times from 2014 Dopey, and hopefully his times from next year as well. Now he's trying to pick my mind and learn how I'm training. Part if me is trying to be vague due to the competitive nature between us and the other part wants to help him so he can have a good run too. I know he knows how to train, but I've done a lot more research them him. Maybe we'll talk about it some this weekend. Who knows.

Love that competitive spirit!

I did the Inaugural Dopey in 2014 and I am planning on going Dopey again in 2017! Wahoo! 2014's Dopey was my first Marathon and I actually ran it for time and met all my goals. Next year, I am doing Dopey for fun. I'm getting as many pictures as I can and enjoying the entire experience. Can't wait!

Hey, we've been competitive for almost 30 years now, gotta keep the spirit alive.

I did the Inaugural Dopey in 2014 and I am planning on going Dopey again in 2017! Wahoo! 2014's Dopey was my first Marathon and I actually ran it for time and met all my goals. Next year, I am doing Dopey for fun. I'm getting as many pictures as I can and enjoying the entire experience. Can't wait!

Dopey 2017 will be my first marathon. I'm excited but nervous. I plan on running for time as well for my first time. What were your goals? When/if I do Dopey again it will definitely be for fun, maybe.

Awesome! Welcome back. It will be interesting to see if the challenge feels different for you after a 2 year break. I am with you, even if it is 11 months away - I can't wait!

Dopey 2017 will be my first marathon. I'm excited but nervous. I plan on running for time as well for my first time. What were your goals? When/if I do Dopey again it will definitely be for fun, maybe.

I used Hal Higdon's Dopey Challenge training and it worked out great for me. My goal was to run the first three races easy and run the marathon in under 4 hours. I actually ran the half marathon with my wife who does a run/walk approach and I think saving my energy for the full really paid off and I highly suggest doing the same...especially for your first marathon. Some advice that I can try to give...actually things that I wasn't quite prepared for...getting up 4 days in a row was the most difficult part of the challenge. You already have the miles in and you will finish the races, but getting up at 2:30am each day was difficult. The second most difficult thing was to manage time in the parks. Some will say, don't go to the parks, but I have to...no way can I go to Disney and not go into the parks. You just have to take it easy. Don't spend morning til night there. Also, when training, include some time walking around the night before your long runs to get used to it. I actually did this and I think it really paid off. My last piece of advice is to have fun. Go ahead and try your best to reach your goal time, but make sure you take in as much as you can...it truly is a magical experience. When you cross that finish line on Sunday, don't hold back any emotions because you just accomplished something amazing...no matter how fast/slow you finished the races.

Awesome! Welcome back. It will be interesting to see if the challenge feels different for you after a 2 year break. I am with you, even if it is 11 months away - I can't wait!

Thanks! I'm sure that it will be different in some aspects. Hopefully I'll be more relaxed this time and be able to sleep a little more. I don't think the sense of accomplishment will be quite the same as this will be my fourth marathon, but it will still rank up there pretty high.

I am seriously considering this one. I have done the 5, and 10k and Half challenges (all three races for Disneyland 2015 and Avengers 2015) with no issues although by the end of the half I'm usually hurting and ready to stop. The marathon is the distance I have not tried yet. I know w I can do it if I put in the time and slow my pace, but I'm not sure I am ready to make that level of commitment. I already have the hotel booked and we have annual passes. Decisons decisions.

I ended up not running with him this past weekend, but we did discuss my training a little. It also looks like he'll be planning a trip to meet my son, after his birth, to coincide with one of my "warm-up" races to run with me, probably the half marathon. It'll be a nice chance to size each other up before the big Dopey showdown.

I ended up not running with him this past weekend, but we did discuss my training a little. It also looks like he'll be planning a trip to meet my son, after his birth, to coincide with one of my "warm-up" races to run with me, probably the half marathon. It'll be a nice chance to size each other up before the big Dopey showdown.

Some added incentive now knowing that he might also race another run with you prior to Disney. I like it! I think this added motivation of both of you running this year will add to your desire to get in as many as your scheduled training runs as you can. Fun!

Some added incentive now knowing that he might also race another run with you prior to Disney. I like it! I think this added motivation of both of you running this year will add to your desire to get in as many as your scheduled training runs as you can. Fun!

Yes, this will definitely help keep me motivated knowing he will probably run a pre-Dopey rae with me. My wife has already declared that she will make me go out for my runs, even after the kid arrives, so that's nice.

I'm seriously considering Dopey. No one wants to do it with me and they all think I'm crazy .. I'm also not sure if I'll even have anyone to go to marathon weekend with but I really want to do it next year! Anyone thinking that might be going at it alone? I know there were some last year! This year was my first full and I plan to do a local in the fall but was so jealous of all the Dopey runners when we were there ... something I never thought I would feel... jealous of people running excessively for fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter