Official Dopey 2017 Thread

I'm seriously considering Dopey. No one wants to do it with me and they all think I'm crazy .. I'm also not sure if I'll even have anyone to go to marathon weekend with but I really want to do it next year! Anyone thinking that might be going at it alone? I know there were some last year! This year was my first full and I plan to do a local in the fall but was so jealous of all the Dopey runners when we were there ... something I never thought I would feel... jealous of people running excessively for fun!

I did it alone this past year. I was a bit apprehensive before the trip but had a very good experience. By being alone I was able to really just focus on the races, rest and prepare. The races gave me lots of opportunities to talk with people. It worked out really well. Likely doing the same again for this year.

If I do dopey I probably wouldn't be doing the 5K alone as others going along with me want to do that as well but as for the 10K, half, and full I would be going at those alone. Being 17 currently I've never traveled alone but I have done races alone but I think Disney is the best place for doing the races alone because everyone is so friendly and happy.

I think I too will be alone for this one. Actually looking forward to it and I know for the star wars challenge this year there were many of us who went alone and ended up grouping together over the weekend.

Oh good!! Sounds like a lot of fun to do the races alone. I started the full with my brother in law but we separated pretty quick so I know how to run alone for that long. Now to keep myself not terrified enough to register in two months.

I'm seriously considering Dopey. No one wants to do it with me and they all think I'm crazy .. I'm also not sure if I'll even have anyone to go to marathon weekend with but I really want to do it next year! Anyone thinking that might be going at it alone? I know there were some last year! This year was my first full and I plan to do a local in the fall but was so jealous of all the Dopey runners when we were there ... something I never thought I would feel... jealous of people running excessively for fun!

I was almost "Almost Dopey" this year (10k, 1/2, full) and went solo. It was a blast and I think going it alone had some advantages. I could set my own park, sleep and wake schedules without worrying about impacting someone else's trip.

I'll be doing Dopey this year. I'll be down there with family, and my brother will be running it as well, but we'll be racing barring injury. Though not technically alone I'll be running alone unless my brother and I happen to be the same pace. That said, I don't think you're ever truly alone on the course. There are always people there supporting you along the way. I'd so go for it and have a blast.

Also, there are plenty of groups both here and on Facebook that organize meet ups. You can definitely find people to hangout with.

OK. I've got a bit of a conundrum and I'm hoping for some advice. After doing the Goofy+ on the rebound from injury this year, I feel like I've got some unfinished business to take care of. I definitely want to do a healthy Dopey and I want to run a marathon for a decent time.

I like the look of the Space Coast Marathon for a strong run. The issue is that it is Nov 27th, just 5 weeks before Dopey. Is that enough recovery time to put up a good showing at Dopey or do I need to space things out a bit more?

Thanks!

OK. I've got a bit of a conundrum and I'm hoping for some advice. After doing the Goofy+ on the rebound from injury this year, I feel like I've got some unfinished business to take care of. I definitely want to do a healthy Dopey and I want to run a marathon for a decent time.

I like the look of the Space Coast Marathon for a strong run. The issue is that it is Nov 27th, just 5 weeks before Dopey. Is that enough recovery time to put up a good showing at Dopey or do I need to space things out a bit more?

Thanks!
I did the Space Coast full followed by the Disney full,the only issue I had was wearing a new shoe that bothered me in the later miles of the Disney full.Aside from the shoe problem I was healthy enough to have given Dopey a shot,after doing several fulls they're not as big a shock to my body as the first one.I'm in for the Space Coast full again this year,the races are getting Disney popular with the Big Bang series they started in 2013,the half sold out in like 30 minutes for this years race.I'll definitely be doing the Disney full in 2017 as that's my always must do race and I'll also be trying the Gasparilla Michelob Ultra challenge in February,4 races in 2 days for a total of 30+ miles,I have Dopey penciled in for 2018 but I have a little guy on my shoulder every so often telling me to try Dopey in 2017,and then another little guy tells me a full in late November followed by the Dopey 48.6 in January followed by the Gasparilla 30+ is just way too much,and I tend to listen too this little guy more!!

I'll be doing Dopey this year. I'll be down there with family, and my brother will be running it as well, but we'll be racing barring injury. Though not technically alone I'll be running alone unless my brother and I happen to be the same pace. That said, I don't think you're ever truly alone on the course. There are always people there supporting you along the way. I'd so go for it and have a blast.

Also, there are plenty of groups both here and on Facebook that organize meet ups. You can definitely find people to hangout with.

So very true! I can find plenty of friends on here to meet up with! My husband doesn't like the idea of me being alone during the long races so he may come down just to be close *just in case* because he's a worrier. Even just a couple days after deciding I am going to do it I am way too excited and can't wait! I'm going to work hard at training and maybe some better eating to pass the time lol

Thanks!

I think it's doable, but my recommendation would be to take it easy for the Dopey Challenge. Five weeks is enough time to recover, but you should not "race" both races. If you run Spacecoast for time, then run Dopey for fun. Don't go all out and just run it to enjoy the experience.

I think it's doable, but my recommendation would be to take it easy for the Dopey Challenge. Five weeks is enough time to recover, but you should not "race" both races. If you run Spacecoast for time, then run Dopey for fun. Don't go all out and just run it to enjoy the experience.

@camaker I would agree with this. You would be able to complete the distance in both, but I don't think you would be able to race each to their fullest (PR like effort) with only 5 weeks between.

Anyone wanna guess what the price point for Dopey is going to be in 2017?

Anyone wanna guess what the price point for Dopey is going to be in 2017?
Oof. Prices so far...

2013: $495
2014: $530
2015: $550

I'm gonna guess $560-$570. I think the Dumbo price increase really scared people away this year ($320 for 2015 - sold out almost immediately vs. $350 for this year - still open almost 3 weeks later) so it'll be interesting to see what they do.

Do you have a certain goal in mind?
I'd like to go 3:45 for the full. My normal plan is 24 for the 5k, 48 for the 10k, 1:50 for the half and I"d love 3:45 for the full. This year I did 22 or 21 for hte 5k, 47 for the 10k, 1:50 for the half, and like 5 hours for the full. The wheels kind of fell off plus I don't do heat well. My previous dopey was a 4 hour marathon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter