Official Wine and Dine 2016 thread

Best wishes to anybody running tomorrow, be it a Turkey Trot or non-race. I ran a 5k the day after Mom's funeral when we were in NY. It was near their house, and a certified course. Added bonus: it took me past the chocolate store where Mom worked for 25 years.

DW and I have been writing down notes to do a trip report with our experiences and impressions. I need to figure out how to make nice links like everybody else has for trip reports, and to jump to specific entries. If you have advice, I'm "all ears".

Not sure how much they have updated the runDisney site, but I note the challenge is on the website as $340 (paid $330 this year) and the 5K is $80 ($70 this year).

Unless there was tiered pricing for late entry this year an I just missed it?

Did you all see the registration date for next year's W&D? January 17th! :eek:

Yeah. They're insane. :rolleyes2

I like it for this reason: as a DVC member this is when I can book a room, roughly! It was always ridiculous booking a room with DVC points 11 mos out and having no idea if 1) they might change the dates for the event or 2) whether I'd actually be able to register (I never take that for granted).

Not sure how much they have updated the runDisney site, but I note the challenge is on the website as $340 (paid $330 this year) and the 5K is $80 ($70 this year).

Unless there was tiered pricing for late entry this year an I just missed it?
They moved away from tiered pricing. Since everything for this year sold out so quickly, maybe they wanted to be aggressive with pricing. I'll be curious to see how registrations go this year. :scratchin
I like it for this reason: as a DVC member this is when I can book a room, roughly! It was always ridiculous booking a room with DVC points 11 mos out and having no idea if 1) they might change the dates for the event or 2) whether I'd actually be able to register (I never take that for granted).
I can totally see how it works for some people, but for me, that's too far out to plan (and i think I saw others saying they weren't set on school break schedules and things like that). Especially with no deferrals and no insurance policy in place (yet, hopefully that is coming), for me it's a lot of money to put up front for registrations so far out. :confused3

I can totally see how it works for some people, but for me, that's too far out to plan (and i think I saw others saying they weren't set on school break schedules and things like that). Especially with no deferrals and no insurance policy in place (yet, hopefully that is coming), for me it's a lot of money to put up front for registrations so far out. :confused3
Welcome to how I have to plan ALL of my Disney trips!! :rotfl: :thumbsup2

You may have a good point. I just looked at the number of finishers for the Wine and Dine Half. It was 12000+. The Star Wars Dark Side Half in April had over 18000.

I wouldn't look at finisher numbers as an indication of race popularity or potentially the availability of late registration. Wine & Dine has traditionally been the smallest race weekend that WDW hosts, with the finisher numbers reflecting that rather than popularity. SWDS simply had capacity for a LOT more runners.

Wine & Dine has been one of the most difficult races to get into in my experience. Maybe that will change with the earlier registration dates, but I wouldn't necessarily bank on it if you really want to run it.

I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason for the shift to the standard runDisney weekend template would be to increase the capacity of the race. Once there is a formula that works, the company tends to use it over and over and over and just add enough frills to dress it up. To me it loses a ton of magic and reason for running a specific Disney race.

Ever have music, a smell, or something else just take you someplace? Heard Uptown Funk and Shut Up and Dance on the radio recently. I think they were played at both the 10k and half this year (and half 2015). Boy, when they came on, I was at the pre-race party on the morning of the half. Anybody have any other memorable songs from the weekend?

And without planning: my iPod hit Illuminations just as I was approaching Epcot the morning of the half. Couldn't have timed it better.

Nope! I figure closer to 6 weeks, so maybe midDecember. No one on facebook groups either as far as I've seen. My brother actually won age group awards for both races (10k & half) and hasn't gotten those yet either, so we're are anxiously stalking our mail daily :)
Congrats to your brother! My brother placed in this past January's marathon weekend for the half marathon, and he received his award 3.5 months after the race. Hopefully your brothers award takes less time.

My brother actually won age group awards for both races (10k & half) and hasn't gotten those yet either, so we're are anxiously stalking our mail daily :)
That is fantastic! Congrats to him! Can I ask his age and times? Purely out of curiosity of what types of paces is a "win" at a Dis race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter