• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Wine & Dine 2018

Sorry I was wasn’t more clear...It was 6am when I posted :) but the under group would still need to submit PoT and would be corralled according to their pace. I think it’s the larger, later corrals that they are trying to manage.
Ah!! Got it — thanks!! :)

A third of the field is in one corral and that's just crazy. Why they don't make some adjustments to the other corrals just seems fairly irresponsible on their part . I guess this isn't new, but still.
/endrant

As someone who ended up in that bloated corral for marathon weekend, it was miserable. The usual bottlenecks on course were exponentially worse. (I personally don’t feel that the waves helped all that much.) Since that seems to be traditionally the most popular fifteen minute corral block, I am not sure why they can’t just break that particular corral up into five minute blocks.

It is crazy but I think it is also based on estimated finish times that runners submitted when they registered. In this case, 36% of participants believed they would finish the half marathon in 3:01-3:15. I know that if that’s the time I put in and they moved me to H so they could even out the corrals, I would not be a happy camper.

I guess my thought wasn't that they would move people backwards but that they could move people forward. There is a lot more room in corrals A - E that could use to spread out the F corral.

As someone who ended up in that bloated corral for marathon weekend, it was miserable. The usual bottlenecks on course were exponentially worse. (I personally don’t feel that the waves helped all that much.) Since that seems to be traditionally the most popular fifteen minute corral block, I am not sure why they can’t just break that particular corral up into five minute blocks.

And I guess that's my second part. Don't be beholden to the 15 minute spacing. Move the A corral to under 1:5X or even 2:00 and under. And then the next corrals at whatever smooths out the some of the difference. And maybe it's just a problem with the times people are submitting. Not sure but seems like run Disney is just stuck doing the every 15 minute corrals instead of trying to adjust according to the actual times submitted. They have to see that it's a problem.

runDisney's corral placements have to be either stupidity or laziness. The % of runners in each corral for the half are:

A - 4%
B - 5%
C- 9%
D - 11%
E - 10%
F - 36%
G - 9%
H - 16%

A third of the field is in one corral and that's just crazy. Why they don't make some adjustments to the other corrals just seems fairly irresponsible on their part . I guess this isn't new, but still.
/endrant
RunDisney likes to be ridiculous.

I guess my thought wasn't that they would move people backwards but that they could move people forward. There is a lot more room in corrals A - E that could use to spread out the F corral.

And I guess that's my second part. Don't be beholden to the 15 minute spacing. Move the A corral to under 1:5X or even 2:00 and under. And then the next corrals at whatever smooths out the some of the difference. And maybe it's just a problem with the times people are submitting. Not sure but seems like run Disney is just stuck doing the every 15 minute corrals instead of trying to adjust according to the actual times submitted. They have to see that it's a problem.

C'mon ... you know RunDisney and logic don't ever go together.

Thanks for that breakdown, croach. Very interesting!

Looks like we will be in C, not B after all as we are in the 700s. I'm still happy about this, and really given the injury I'm dealing with, it's probably better to be a bit more behind.

And on that note, I mange a 9.1 mile run/walk this morning, without much pain which made me very happy. I did however see how my legs aren't as strong as they were before this injury. :faint:

I can't believe we are down to 3 weeks! :eek: Happy training everyone!:yay:

I made corral E but my faster sister made it into D. Guess she is going to have to come back and join me.

I do have a question for anyone who knows. It has probably already been asked on this thread but I didn't see it. My sister and I are running the 2 course challenge. My husband is running the 10k with us. How will he get his corral placement to run with us?

My first DisneyWorld race and just noticed that the course doesn't go through MK, is that normal?

For this race yes. Marathon and Princess are the only ones with races that go thru MK.

I made corral E but my faster sister made it into D. Guess she is going to have to come back and join me.

I do have a question for anyone who knows. It has probably already been asked on this thread but I didn't see it. My sister and I are running the 2 course challenge. My husband is running the 10k with us. How will he get his corral placement to run with us?

I don't think you'll know the 10k corral until you pick up your bibs.

You won’t find out 5k and 10k corrals until bib pickup.

You can kinda guess with the 10K bib number if you are going to be towards the front, middle or end.

I think RunDisney created a monster with that F corral that they are now trying to fix with the new estimated time options in place for next year. I have a feeling that the corrals that require POT won’t be changing very much. However, I think the back corrals are going to be more evenly distributed, but it’s going to be sheer luck as to where you end up. How they decide to break it up and decide who goes where should be interesting. There’s no way to make everyone happy.

In non-corral related news - just purchased our tickets for The Void on November 1st. Figure it would be a good post expo (where we aren't planning on buying anything) and pre-room activity.

I think RunDisney created a monster with that F corral that they are now trying to fix with the new estimated time options in place for next year. I have a feeling that the corrals that require POT won’t be changing very much. However, I think the back corrals are going to be more evenly distributed, but it’s going to be sheer luck as to where you end up. How they decide to break it up and decide who goes where should be interesting. There’s no way to make everyone happy.

Corral F is a real sh!tshow and rD has nobody to blame but themselves. I really hope in January they go back to the corrals from 2016 Marathon Weekend - PoT was at 6:30 for the full and there was a corral for < 6:30, = 6:30 and the five corrals or so of greater than that were assigned at random.

runDisney's corral placements have to be either stupidity or laziness. The % of runners in each corral for the half are:

A - 4%
B - 5%
C- 9%
D - 11%
E - 10%
F - 36%
G - 9%
H - 16%

/endrant

Wow that distribution is really odd. I thought when they originally set up the graduated corrals that it would be something that went from like the 4% to about 16%. To try and fix that they'd have to move 6% of the runners from f to G then split F into two other corrals. Looking at the size of D it makes me want to try and get in the corrals early so that we can get an early wave. It will be interesting to see the number of waves per corral.

For Marathon weekend it's always seemed to work that we were corralled based on estimated finish time even for people that were running the 10K only.

In non-corral related news - just purchased our tickets for The Void on November 1st. Figure it would be a good post expo (where we aren't planning on buying anything) and pre-room activity.

My family had so much fun at The Void!

I think RunDisney created a monster with that F corral that they are now trying to fix with the new estimated time options in place for next year.
Is this true for upcoming half marathons as well, or just the full?

I believe they are trying to change things starting with Marathon Weekend. There were only 2 options for estimated finish times for the Marathon - 5:30 or less or 5:31 and greater. I think it’ll be easier to have a more even distribution of runners in the later corrals because everyone will be a 5:31 or greater finish time.

This isn’t correct for Marathon Weekend. There was an initial question where you had to pick <5:30 or 5:31 or greater. If you answered with <5:30, you got the entry fields for PoT. If you answered >5:30, there was another drop down where you had to pick a finish time range (5:31-5:45, 5:46-6:00, >6:00). I’m not 100% sure of the range selections, but I just had to go down that route for DDs registration since she didn’t hit PoT requirements in her half last weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter