'Ohana Bread Pudding Portion Reduction

TiggerTrigger

a.k.a. HouCuseChickie
So, I was going through some of my pictures from our last trip and I realized that our bread pudding portion looked kind of small (as did the ones going to tables around us). I vaguely remember thinking it at the time, but I got caught up in other trip stuff and forgot about it until now. I compared it to bread puddings from previous visits and it seems considerably smaller than past trips. Examples below are Dec 2017 vs Sep 2013. I was already bugged that our most recent experience there was like some bad speed dining joke. We had the same numbers in our party, so that shouldn't have been it. Has anyone else noticed this?

25410202348_c51935cfe0.jpg

10366671506_557d51eec1.jpg

They may have seen too much waste and decided to start with a smaller portion. You can always ask for more - we almost always do (my DH looooves the bread pudding!).

I'd rather they give smaller portions of the meat, too, to avoid waste since we can request more of that as well but they like to pile it on! I always feel bad.

They may have seen too much waste and decided to start with a smaller portion. You can always ask for more - we almost always do (my DH looooves the bread pudding!).

I'd rather they give smaller portions of the meat, too, to avoid waste since we can request more of that as well but they like to pile it on! I always feel bad.

We've actually been denied second servings before. I can't remember which trip, but we were a party of 9 that time...asked for an extra portion for the table and were told the bread pudding is not AYCTE.

We've actually been denied second servings before. I can't remember which trip, but we were a party of 9 that time...asked for an extra portion for the table and were told the bread pudding is not AYCTE.

Aw, man! That totally stinks!

Not surprised about the smaller portions - really hate to see waste. Every trip we've been on, we've seen large portions left on tables around us, also as we exit the restaurant. And, no, not that we're intentionally looking for that - just really hard not to notice when that's all that's left on tables until clearing.

None of ours is 'ever' left, though never have asked for more. That's half of why we go there, :D My favorite dessert I look forward to - in 4 weeks it's that time again. :flower:

@TiggerTrigger You must have gotten the same server who told me that there is no such thing as macadamia nut butter for the bread.

All of the food at Ohana is AYCE. We have received extra ice cream by itself, brownies and Rice Krispie treats over the years. I’m 90% sure we got more bread pudding during one meal when we were a group of 10 and got what looked like a serving for two. (I had a few Lapu Lapu’s that night so the details are sketchy.)

I've had seconds of the bread pudding at least half a dozen times, once without even asking for it, and once fir a group of 7. It sounds like your server didn't want to bring out seconds for 9 people. I would have asked to see a manager if I were you!

I've had seconds of the bread pudding at least half a dozen times, once without even asking for it, and once fir a group of 7. It sounds like your server didn't want to bring out seconds for 9 people. I would have asked to see a manager if I were you!
I absolutely agree. I would have talked to a manager as well. There is nothing on the menu that says dessert is excluded from the AYCE.

I did notice the reduced portion size too. But we have been brought additional servings of bread pudding upon request each visit. In the past when the initial portion was larger, some tables did have sizable uneaten amounts left.

Smaller portions mean 3 servings instead of 2. :) And if you told me it wasn't AYCE I would start a riot. :) I am sure I could get many other tables to join in.

Yes! I would join that. And I don't even like the bread pudding. That's just a crabby, lazy server. And if escalated to a manager extra bread pudding would appear.

Of course you can have more.

I actually applaud them for making the initial portion smaller. We never finish ours, we are too full. I'm for anything that cuts down on wasted food.

Yes! I would join that. And I don't even like the bread pudding. That's just a crabby, lazy server. And if escalated to a manager extra bread pudding would appear.
Or one that decided they were single handily going to increase the profit margin. I despise when someone gets on a power trip. I'd raise a stink just because they tried to act all high and mighty, even if I didn't really want more. Drives me nuts.

As long as it remains AYCTE, then I'm fine with a smaller portion for the first serving. It would cut down considerably on waste, which in turns help to keep the price from going up accordingly for us as the diner. I do agree with the observation already made that the 1st one just looks sloppy, that ice cream looks like it's trying to make a run for it.

hey may have seen too much waste and decided to start with a smaller portion. You can always ask for more - we almost always do (my DH looooves the bread pudding!).
I agree. Whenever we eat there, while I love the bread pudding I can never finish it because I’m so full by then.

I would be ok with a smaller initial portion as long as I can ask for more if I wanted. I'm focusing on my health and having a giant portion just for me sounds amazing at the time, but is regretful later on.
I already have them separate the ice cream as my son won't go near the bread pudding and won't eat it if it's got the sauce on or anywhere near it.

Agree that the previous portions had a TON of waste. I'm sure if anyone who is reading this goes into 'Ohana forewarned and says "I've been saving room for dessert, can you bring me a double?" you'd get accommodated. But I can only ever manage a few bites and was one of the big wasters. I'm glad to see they are cutting that back. I ordered a portion the tambu lounge and it lasted us 3 nights after that and still couldn't finish it!

We were just there last week and our portion was large...
And our waiter asked us if we wanted more. My wife almost single handedly plowed through the initial serving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter