Opinions on what dates these rolling DCL Cancellations will go through - Poll

Opinions on what date these rolling DCL Cancellations will go to

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We live in a metroplex area of approx 7 million people. We do not have any of those things. The media has told us we do but when we go to the store, in reality we do not. Just saying.

Meanwhile, here in the suburbs of Boston, I had groceries delivered this morning and the steaks, frozen burgers, laundry sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, and toilet paper I ordered were all out of stock.

We are in the state where the majority of meat packing plants are located in the USA. We are seeing shortages here. If our state is seeing shortages of available meat/poultry/pork products, it will spread throughout the USA. If you wanted to purchase a side of beef and have it butchered, the processing plants and butchers are scheduling 14 months out.

We've had shortages ever since this began. First it was all the cleaning supplies and TP. Now it's definitely meat; the options are really limited (e.g., last time my DH went to the store they only had steaks and country-style boneless pork ribs, no chicken or other cuts. Before that, it was just boneless chicken breasts and stew meat. Ground beef always seems to be the scarcest. And everything is restricted to one item per person.

We live in a metroplex area of approx 7 million people. We do not have any of those things. The media has told us we do but when we go to the store, in reality we do not. Just saying.

Also, in an area of 7 million+ people, we have had less than 500 Coronavirus deaths. Of the less than 500 deaths, many are incorrectly counted as Coronavirus related. For example, an 85 year old lung cancer patient dies, since the patient tests positive for Coronavirus, they count it as a Coronavirus death. People who have died with Coronavirus does not mean they died from Coronavirus. The stats are very misleading.

DCL knows this, those who make the laws know this and the general public is starting to catch on as well. We need to get on with sailing and if there are still those that are not comfortable, they can simply not book a cruise.
I disagree with you on the shortage issues. I'm in the Chicago suburbs and there have been shortages of a lot of items in the grocery stores here. The last time I went some of the items that were low included meat, orange juice, eggs, flour, paper products, fruit, etc.

I disagree with you on the shortage issues. I'm in the Chicago suburbs and there have been shortages of a lot of items in the grocery stores here. The last time I went some of the items that were low included meat, orange juice, eggs, flour, paper products, fruit, etc.

Still shortages here, too. Toilet paper back in stock, but meat is being well controlled. Its also often cuts of meat no one necessarily wants--stew meat is not a big one in May, but there is a lot of it.

Also, in an area of 7 million+ people, we have had less than 500 Coronavirus deaths. Of the less than 500 deaths, many are incorrectly counted as Coronavirus related. For example, an 85 year old lung cancer patient dies, since the patient tests positive for Coronavirus, they count it as a Coronavirus death. People who have died with Coronavirus does not mean they died from Coronavirus. The stats are very misleading.

The thing about cruising (and travel in general) is, that its not just YOUR AREA that is the issue. The cruise ships bring people from all over the country. Someone can travel from a place that still has problems, infect people on teh ship (and cabin hosts who then infect the next group of travelers), and then the whole cycle starts again.

I'm not saying the entire country has to be locked down permanently, but I think we've got a pretty good sense that cruising is an effective way to spread germs.

Realistically, to start sailing July 2 they would need to have entertainment in rehearsal now, or at least the entertainers to be in quarantine pre-rehearsals. even bringing back a full cast you want 2 weeks of rehearsals after a layoff.

Similarly, they'd need to be getting crew into position, not repatriating everyone they can. Crew would need 2 weeks of quarantine before starting work, with some padding for some people's quarantine having issues.

So while potentially they could start these processes 6/1 with hopes of sailing 7/1 that also assumes everyone can get into the country and embark, and USGC isn't allowing embarks in the US right now, even before you look at travel restrictions.

I would be shocked if any of the ships sail before Labor Day given logistics.

Realistically, to start sailing July 2 they would need to have entertainment in rehearsal now, or at least the entertainers to be in quarantine pre-rehearsals. even bringing back a full cast you want 2 weeks of rehearsals after a layoff.

Similarly, they'd need to be getting crew into position, not repatriating everyone they can. Crew would need 2 weeks of quarantine before starting work, with some padding for some people's quarantine having issues.

So while potentially they could start these processes 6/1 with hopes of sailing 7/1 that also assumes everyone can get into the country and embark, and USGC isn't allowing embarks in the US right now, even before you look at travel restrictions.

I would be shocked if any of the ships sail before Labor Day given logistics.
DCL has cancelled longer than that July 1 already—next cruise is July 31.

DCL has cancelled longer than that July 1 already—next cruise is July 31.
I know. But with all of the lines, you will have a good idea of when they really think they can restart, because everyone will be repatriated, and they will be bringing people IN, rather than struggling to move them out.

Summer is dubious at best, even for DCL, who have the fewest stranded crew.

I know. But with all of the lines, you will have a good idea of when they really think they can restart, because everyone will be repatriated, and they will be bringing people IN, rather than struggling to move them out.

Summer is dubious at best, even for DCL, who have the fewest stranded crew.
I could see them starting in August with a reduced crew and pared back entertainment though. Even with a month lead time, that would mean they don't have to even begin prepping until July, and it's still May.

The thing about cruising (and travel in general) is, that its not just YOUR AREA that is the issue.

There is no issue. Viruses were here before humans, during humans and will be here after humans. You cannot conduct life this way and throw 1/8th of the country into unemployment poverty to save .0004 percent of the population. If we normally operated this way then we would have lockdowns over texting and driving, eating at McDonalds, diabetes, the flu, etc.. It is not constitutional to restrict the liberties of healthy people or to quarantine healthy people. It is not constitutional to cherry pick which legally operating businesses can make money and which ones have to shut down and go bankrupt (liquor sales were deemed essential and allowed to operate but buying a child car seat was not?). Doesn't matter how they try to justify it, explain it or rationalize it. If it's that rational then do it the right way and add a constitutional amendment but do not rule by decree. People are making policies on what they personally think is best and not necessarily base on what is legal.

In addition, I do not buy into the food shortage scare. In a country where you cannot throw a rock without hitting a business that sells a double meet cheeseburger for $2 or less, there is no food shortage. There may be a competency shortage in areas that effect supply but there really is just no shortage. I've seen many documentaries on the media that state "fear equals ratings". It's a self fulfilling prophecy. If a national news network does a news story on a shortage of laundry soap, everyone is going to go out and buy/hoard laundry soap, thus making the news story seem correct. In reality the news is the one causing the problem in the first place. That's what's going on with the food thing, people may be buying/hoarding because the media and the wikinet twitter people are telling them there's a food shortage. If there truly is a food shortage, someone better tell McDonalds because I don't think they got the memo.

To bring it back to topic I will add that they need to re-start cruising. Those not comfortable can just not book a cruise and those ports that are not comfortable can just refuse debarking.

I could see them starting in August with a reduced crew and pared back entertainment though. Even with a month lead time, that would mean they don't have to even begin prepping until July, and it's still May.

There definitely has to be a bit of wiggle room on the bring back of crew versus sail date. Embark quarantine may not always end well, which will create issues if they cut the 2 weeks quarantine + 2 weeks prep too close. I'd guess they need to start bringing crew back by mid-June for an August 1 sail date.

Hard to say if they'll have been able to repatriate everyrone by then. A lot of crew who are stuck on the ships want home in a bad way, so not sure they'll sign on to just stay, money or no.

There is no issue. Viruses were here before humans, during humans and will be here after humans. You cannot conduct life this way and throw 1/8th of the country into unemployment poverty to save .0004 percent of the population. If we normally operated this way then we would have lockdowns over texting and driving, eating at McDonalds, diabetes, the flu, etc.. It is not constitutional to restrict the liberties of healthy people or to quarantine healthy people. It is not constitutional to cherry pick which legally operating businesses can make money and which ones have to shut down and go bankrupt (liquor sales were deemed essential and allowed to operate but buying a child car seat was not?). Doesn't matter how they try to justify it, explain it or rationalize it. If it's that rational then do it the right way and add a constitutional amendment but do not rule by decree. People are making policies on what they personally think is best and not necessarily base on what is legal.

In addition, I do not buy into the food shortage scare. In a country where you cannot throw a rock without hitting a business that sells a double meet cheeseburger for $2 or less, there is no food shortage. There may be a competency shortage in areas that effect supply but there really is just no shortage. I've seen many documentaries on the media that state "fear equals ratings". It's a self fulfilling prophecy. If a national news network does a news story on a shortage of laundry soap, everyone is going to go out and buy/hoard laundry soap, thus making the news story seem correct. In reality the news is the one causing the problem in the first place. That's what's going on with the food thing, people may be buying/hoarding because the media and the wikinet twitter people are telling them there's a food shortage. If there truly is a food shortage, someone better tell McDonalds because I don't think they got the memo.

To bring it back to topic I will add that they need to re-start cruising. Those not comfortable can just not book a cruise and those ports that are not comfortable can just refuse debarking.

100% Correct. I work within the food industry sector. There is no shortage and the belief that we won't be able to feed the people by 2030 or whatever narrative the media is pushing is completely false. Within the industry as a whole, there is an extreme amount of excess and waste. Commercialized food and restaurants promote over consumption. When people cook at home, portions generally tend to be more controlled. In the past two months, we've shifted the matrix from supplying restaurants and food service, to grocery stores, and due to regulations, you cannot shift all of the food directly to the consumer. What you're seeing are logistics issues, not a shortage.

Last edited:
I said fall but that may be a Very Limited period of time before flu/winter where I again think it’s going to be super limited and/or closed. Sorry... I think by Late...first qtr ‘21 we’ll hopefully be Over ( meaning managed by available vaccine) this Nightmare called Covid

I agree - we rebooked one of our 2020 cruises for March 27, 2021. I hope we are out of the woods by then, but I'm not as confident as I'd like to be.

Calm down and take deep breaths. There are EXISTING shortages, perhaps you are not aware? People are listing items they cannot locate or are hard to find. Instead of making this a political thread, which are against Dis Boards rules, let's just admit there are differing experiences for the majority of posters.

Back on topic, numerous states and countries REQUIRE 14 day self quarantine after travel. Perhaps you have read the story involving the New York resident who broke self quarantine rules in Hawaii? Until the restrictions are eliminated, there is no realistic way for people to safely travel for cruises.

100% Correct. I work within the food industry sector. There is no shortage and the belief that we won't be able to feed the people by 2030 or whatever narrative the media is pushing is completely false. Within the industry as a whole, there is an extreme amount of excess and waste. Commercialized food and restaurants promote over consumption. When people cook at home, portions generally tend to be more controlled. In the past two months, we've shifted the matrix from supplying restaurants and food service, to grocery stores, and due to regulations, you cannot shift all of the food directly to the consumer. What you're seeing are logistics issues, not a shortage.

Not sure how you define shortage. When a consumer goes to multiple stores to purchase an item and it is not available, that is a shortage. The idea that it is a media driven narrative is untrue. Numerous posters have stated that they are experiencing shortages, so it must be true that there are shortages.

Not sure how you define shortage. When a consumer goes to multiple stores to purchase an item and it is not available, that is a shortage. The idea that it is a media driven narrative is untrue. Numerous posters have stated that they are experiencing shortages, so it must be true that there are shortages.

It is a fair statement that the items exist, but the supply chain is not configured to get them to that customer.

Yeast and toilet paper have been two examples. Turns out a lot of people were pooping a lot at work and school, using commercial channel TP. That TP is still out there, but the commercial channel isn't ordering/using so much because people aren't at their worksites. It's not turnkey to suddenly get those giant work restroom rolls (you know the ones) to 123 Maple Lane and it's 4 inhabitants, 2 of whom used to use more TP at work, and 2 who enjoyed the delights of the elementary school restrooms.

I just got a one-pound block of yeast via restaurant supply. But the high demand in consumer use took the industry by surprise and the packaging is catching up there.

Exactly. Just because there is food SOMEWHERE doesn't mean there is food in my grocery store! Some of it is hoarding, some of it is because we eat SO MUCH MORE at home. My grocery bill has doubled as we are no longer eating free cafeteria lunch at work every day. (And my husband ate free cafeteria breakfast.)

That TP is still out there, but the commercial channel isn't ordering/using so much because people aren't at their worksites.

That's some of it but you also have the media and twitterverse pushing the shortage narrative. So you end up with people buying 3 times as much (or more) than they normally do because they heard about the "shortage". I'll admit, I've done it as well. When this thing first started, I bought more TP than I needed because of what I had heard. I think if most people are honest with themselves they will admit they've done it too (and may still be doing it). Now that's just me but when you multiply it by hundreds of millions of Americans, it causes a self induced manufactured crisis. Same thing now is happening with meat. You have people going to the store with no intention of buying meat but then they see some available and they buy it up, take it home and freeze it because they heard about the "shortage" or you have people buying more than they normally would because of the "shortage" they heard about. There's a reason Home Depot and Lowes can't keep freezers in stock.

That's some of it but you also have the media and twitterverse pushing the shortage narrative. So you end up with people buying 3 times as much (or more) than they normally do because they heard about the "shortage". I'll admit, I've done it as well. When this thing first started, I bought more TP than I needed because of what I had heard. I think if most people are honest with themselves they will admit they've done it too (and may still be doing it). Now that's just me but when you multiply it by hundreds of millions of Americans, it causes a self induced manufactured crisis. Same thing now is happening with meat. You have people going to the store with no intention of buying meat but then they see some available and they buy it up, take it home and freeze it because they heard about the "shortage" or you have people buying more than they normally would because of the "shortage" they heard about. There's a reason Home Depot and Lowes can't keep freezers in stock.

In my area, they are limiting the amount of meat you can buy, so as to slow the hoarding.

I can agree the media says things people don't want to hear, but on the other hand, aren't we entitled to know what is going on? One media source says there is a shortage and the other says it is a logistics problem. To the average consumer, it is the same thing. When they go to the store, the stuff isn't there.

You hear of meat packing places having to shut down because they've had an outbreak. The average person is going to think that means meat is going to be in short supply. It's information and it's information people need to use to make decisions for their family. I don't think the media should necessarily be blamed, because there is a segment of our population that over-reacts.

Just my opinion.

On another note, I just saw this interesting thing that Kayak is doing. They are posting a map of the world that shows which countries are accepting foreign air travel. I thought it would be interesting for us as we plan our future cruises, because if they aren't letting anyone fly in, I don't think there are going to let you port there either. I could be wrong.

https://www.kayak.com/travel-restrictions/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter