Our thinking on Riviera

DVCsince2002

Earning My Ears
We are owners at BCV since 2002 and have researched topics on this forum off and on through the years, but decided to register and post to share our thought process on our plan to buy at Riviera. Three teenagers, one in college. Started with 150 points and added another 150 later, in 2008. Lucky enough to have stumbled upon DVC when they were selling BCV, and wouldn’t want to have any other home resort. But as we look ahead at our empty-nest future, and hopefully continuing our family tradition of vacations and holidays at Disney, we are looking at buying at Riviera. Kind of viewing this as a “bridge” contract to open up more flexibility for us between now and BCV’s expiration in 2042, as our kids will want their own space, or maybe use on their own, and we are always borrowing from future UY’s to get our Disney fix as it is. And maybe buy again at BCV in 2042? (Who knows!). Anyway, we like being at an Epcot / HS resort and we also happen to like the theming at Riviera more than any resort since BCV. And even though we might miss being in the immediate walkable “Epcot bubble”, we think the Skyliner is going to be a big plus and that we will still feel the immediacy of the two parks via gondola.

We were able to take one of the DVC-only group tours last month during our spring break trip, and liked what we saw. And with the discounts on member-pricing through the end of April, thinking that now is the time to do it. Well aware of the resale vs direct discussions that have gone on here. I remember thinking it was a lot buying direct when we did back in 2002, and couldn’t have imagined where the prices are now. Adding on at BCV 10 years ago via resale has worked out great too. I have looked but have not been able to find, a history of how resale prices have fared over the years at BCV in particular. And I am not sure how many years it will be before there is a mature resale market for Riviera. Assuming ROFR will keep the prices somewhat elevated while they are still selling Riviera direct. Lots of good points both ways on what will happen to resale later on given the new restrictions, but honestly just not interested in waiting around to find out. We would plan on staying at our home resorts with 11 month booking, so I wouldn’t be opposed to adding on at Riviera again in the future if family circumstances justified it.

Probably will break our purchase out into 3 contracts, one for each of the kids. And using Disney Visa card to get the 6 month interest free period, so that we are not taking on any additional financing costs.

Our bottom line is this. Riviera has more appeal to us than any DVC resort since BCV. Theming, gondola, and proximity to Epcot hit all of our sweet spots. Don’t see anything in the DVC pipeline that will give check all the boxes, so ready to take the plunge. And if we need to, we can always rent our points out. Again, gives us flexibility.

Appreciate all of the great information from everyone on here and interested in your thoughts!

Well thought out plan and it appears you understand everything. How many RIV points will you be purchasing direct? Are you planning on tower or standard studios for just the 2 of you?

Thanks all.. undecided on points. Some short stays in 3BR villa has appeal if can coordinate family schedules. Those are costly over the holidays!

We are owners at BCV since 2002 and have researched topics on this forum off and on through the years, but decided to register and post to share our thought process on our plan to buy at Riviera. Three teenagers, one in college. Started with 150 points and added another 150 later, in 2008. Lucky enough to have stumbled upon DVC when they were selling BCV, and wouldn’t want to have any other home resort. But as we look ahead at our empty-nest future, and hopefully continuing our family tradition of vacations and holidays at Disney, we are looking at buying at Riviera. Kind of viewing this as a “bridge” contract to open up more flexibility for us between now and BCV’s expiration in 2042, as our kids will want their own space, or maybe use on their own, and we are always borrowing from future UY’s to get our Disney fix as it is. And maybe buy again at BCV in 2042? (Who knows!). Anyway, we like being at an Epcot / HS resort and we also happen to like the theming at Riviera more than any resort since BCV. And even though we might miss being in the immediate walkable “Epcot bubble”, we think the Skyliner is going to be a big plus and that we will still feel the immediacy of the two parks via gondola.

We were able to take one of the DVC-only group tours last month during our spring break trip, and liked what we saw. And with the discounts on member-pricing through the end of April, thinking that now is the time to do it. Well aware of the resale vs direct discussions that have gone on here. I remember thinking it was a lot buying direct when we did back in 2002, and couldn’t have imagined where the prices are now. Adding on at BCV 10 years ago via resale has worked out great too. I have looked but have not been able to find, a history of how resale prices have fared over the years at BCV in particular. And I am not sure how many years it will be before there is a mature resale market for Riviera. Assuming ROFR will keep the prices somewhat elevated while they are still selling Riviera direct. Lots of good points both ways on what will happen to resale later on given the new restrictions, but honestly just not interested in waiting around to find out. We would plan on staying at our home resorts with 11 month booking, so I wouldn’t be opposed to adding on at Riviera again in the future if family circumstances justified it.

Probably will break our purchase out into 3 contracts, one for each of the kids. And using Disney Visa card to get the 6 month interest free period, so that we are not taking on any additional financing costs.

Our bottom line is this. Riviera has more appeal to us than any DVC resort since BCV. Theming, gondola, and proximity to Epcot hit all of our sweet spots. Don’t see anything in the DVC pipeline that will give check all the boxes, so ready to take the plunge. And if we need to, we can always rent our points out. Again, gives us flexibility.

Appreciate all of the great information from everyone on here and interested in your thoughts!

Fellow BCV owner here. Just wanted to say:

*** Welcome to the DIS ***

I wanted Riviera. I was going to buy at Riviera. I had over $25,000 set aside (STILL sitting in my bank accounts) to apply to Riviera as a good down payment. But I pulled back with the shenanigans that Disney is pulling with Riviera. On this board I posted another thread where I said that I think Riviera has the second most valuable location of ALL the DVC properties, including being the BEST location in Disney World. Only Grand Californian has a better and more desirable location.

But Disney has scared me off. I cannot see putting so much money into it, when I don't have the likelihood of a good safety valve, such as a competitive resale price. We will see where resale prices for Riviera start to fall, but I will never buy if I could only get 1/4 of my value back through resale. I don't plan to resell, but I think the option needs to be there, or it just becomes another, stupid, timeshare.

At this point I am actively hoping that Riviera Sales tank, so that Disney will step back and re-evaluate, and remove the use restrictions on future Riviera buyers. BUT, in all honestly, that probably isn't going to happen. Riviera is beautiful and has a great location, so people will buy it. Just not as quickly as they would have without the current resales restrictions.

We ended up purchasing three 170 point contracts at RVA. This evening, our guide sent us the following new video which apparently was just released showing more of RVA. Looks amazing!

Everything looks better in dim lighting. Just saying. I dodge cameras in broad daylight, and apparently so does the artistic rendering of Riviera

We ended up purchasing three 170 point contracts at RVA. This evening, our guide sent us the following new video which apparently was just released showing more of RVA. Looks amazing!

Congrats on your purchase! While I am not going to buy anymore points, I really look forward to staying at RIV and hope to either in January or September.

Enjoy your points!

I remember thinking it was a lot buying direct when we did back in 2002, and couldn’t have imagined where the prices are now.
This is a great point. I've made no effort to hide the fact that I'm very bearish on DVC right now at today's prices. But I'm also open to being wrong when the prices at all resorts are in the $250pp price range and they're still selling. Riviera in the 170s will look like the steal of the century.

Congrats on your purchase, I hope you get lots of enjoyment out of it. :)

That videos does make the RVA look great. Will definitely be on my list of resorts to try out sometime.

This is a great point. I've made no effort to hide the fact that I'm very bearish on DVC right now at today's prices. But I'm also open to being wrong when the prices at all resorts are in the $250pp price range and they're still selling. Riviera in the 170s will look like the steal of the century.

Congrats on your purchase, I hope you get lots of enjoyment out of it. :)

Direct prices are a little too expensive for my liking, but then so are the prices for deluxe hotel rooms yet there seems to be enough people that can afford to pay those prices, so I guess I am not really the target market anymore.

I have no idea where prices are going. Last time I made a bet on the direction of prices, I was wrong. If they go up, I will be happy because that will make me feel even better about the price I paid for my points. If they go down, I'll also be happy and look at picking up some deals. In either case I'll still be using my points to go to WDW and stay in nicer rooms then I would have ever paid cash for.

It looks like the Waldorf Astoria, which is not a bad thing, just not particularly unique.

The more we see and hear about Riviera, the more it appeals to me. I'm looking forward to staying there in 2020.

Wow Riviera looks amazing. This has me torn. I was set on a mix of Saratoga direct and resale, so I could say at the new resorts on the direct points.

However with the incentives it makes Riviera very tempting. We were not planning on selling, but I guess 50 years is a long time... We need a crystal ball to see how dvc will play out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter