• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Paper Piecing Swap - Anyone?

Mar 11th works for me! --Just PM me and tell me where to ship them Lisa

I use 12x12 format I think my tigger is probably about 5 inches tall (?) I can't remember for sure

This sounds fun! I haven't done a swap in a long time. I can't wait to see all the great pp's!

Candi

March 11th works for me too, I work 12x12 also,I was thinking should I run them through the zyron after they are finishe so they would be easier to mount ? what do you think? your RPO was cute. I wish I had a 24hour paper store near me, most inspiring.:)

Your RPO is really cute! And I am down for Tinkerbell. Oh miss "I can do that" me has started and I think that it isn't as easy as I thought. (Can't seem to get the head/shoulder/arms right)

So I'm glad that we have extra time. I work with both the 12X12 and the 11X8. The family Disney album is the 12X12 and then I've made the kids' albums of their trip to WDW the 11X8 size.
Gerri

Gerri, I used to have trouble when I first started PP. I find that if I cut a copy of a pattern into pieces (saving the original so I can see how they fit together - what angle the arm was, etc), then use each pattern piece to cut out that piece of the puzzle. Sometimes I change the pattern a little (for example my Mickey riding the Dumbo ride has an added Santa hat since we were there in December and Dumbo had a Santa hat on). Other times I reposition an arm or change what the character is doing. I always decide first where I will leave "extra" paper so that other pieces of the puzzle can be glued on top. I'm lazy. I'll draw wrinkles in clothing by myself, but I never do a face without cheating. I don't think I would ever be happy with the outcome.

Hands and faces are the hardest for me. I have develped a method of doing that, too. Say I am making a Mickey Mouse. I make his ears and face and body and shoes, etc. Then I take the face piece and cut along his smile. If you carefully line up the pattern and your "face" you can just trace along the cut lightly in pencil. Then do the same with eyes, eyebrows, and soon you have most of his face traced. Just go back with a pen and go over the lines, clean up with an eraser and you're through. Another friend scribbles on the back of the pattern with pencil and then just draws over the lines on the pattern. I find this takes more clean up, since the pencil smudges, but it might be easier sometimes if the face is complicated and small.

Have I confused you more? I hope not. What I'm trying to say is that you don't have to be particularly artistic to do this. I've taught several friends and if you cheat it's really pretty easy, but time consuming. You just have to figure out how it works. Hang in there.

March 11 works for me too, just let me know where to send them, who do I send my address to??? Oh, using a lightbox is a good way to help you with paper piecing, you can trace facial features easily that way. (Michaels usually has a 40% off coupon in your Sunday paper that you could use for one---if you have a Michaels in your area). I make several copies on a copy machine of my pattern so that I can cut up each separate piece and then piece them together. Then, I keep one full copy and all of my pieces in a ziplock bag in case I ever want to make another one later. This swap sounds fun! Thanks for organizing it! :) :)

LOL! I just noticed that over half of us are from Oklahoma...I wonder if we already know each other from crops? That would be kindof funny! :)

I've been at a crop with Candi before, but we never met. I "met" her later on the DIS and heard something about her company and it fell into place that I almost knew her. Never said anything about it before. Maybe we could all meet sometime.

BTW, I'm getting ready to start a scrapbooking club in Norman soon. Maybe some of you would like to get together with us? If so, I'll let you know when we get the details ironed out. We want a fun group to get together once or twice a month just to crop together. My DIS buddies would be a great addition!

I'm here! I'm here! I have been unable to get on the computer for several days! OK- March 11th sounds good to me too gives me time before we start our dance competitions! Lisa - it looks like no one has chosen Mickey yet - so I will do him. Please let me know where to send them when I am finished.
This sounds like fun- need the motivation to get my supplies back out and start scraping.:bounce:
Ellen

happy scrap'n ladies, just a follow up question any thoughts on the zyron? as with everyone else, let me know where to send them when I'm done. Good luck with Tink, and in my local paper Michaels has a 50% off on item coupon this week.

Thanks for the "heads-up" on Michael's coupons. I need to check my Sunday paper, I guess. We've had friends from out of town this weekend.

I've never used zyron, so I think that'd be cool! I've always wondered if I'd like it. You'd probably make me want a new toy. :D

Sure, let me know about the Norman crop, my friend and I would be interested! We've cropped a lot at Rebekah's in OKC, but she is closing at the end of the month so we've been looking for a new group to crop with! :)

Oh, I got the Xyron machine at Michaels (used the 50% off coupon --original price was $150 so I got it for $75 --whoo hoo!!!!!! It is awesome! I came with a video that tells exactly how to work it and gave lots of tips. There are some cheaper xyron machines, but I wanted the one that could do 8 1/2 inch size things.

Wow MerryPoppins SMALL WORLD!! Was it one of Jami's crops at the Ramada? That's one of the few times I ever get to crop! Jami and I used to work together some time ago, and she has been so supportive of my business, and also my CMC!! Also, I have gotten aquainted with a group of scrapbookers who live all over the metro area (Yukon, Moore, OKC, MWC, Bethany, Edmond) I have gotten together with them a couple of times too. If any of you all in this area would like info on some upcoming crops, (for National Scrapbook Day and such) just let me know, I would be happy to share the information. Too funny! I guess Norman isn't really that big afterall :p

Happy Scrappin,
Candi

You're right! One of Jami's crops. Wish I had known that you were from the DIS, I would have looked for you. Someone at my table was told to find you - you had such cute ideas and they thought something you made would work for her page? Wish they had sent me! Anyway, that is how I heard about you. Guess we always need to wear our green ribbons! :)

Sure, you can email me or PM me anytime with info on crops. With my family's busy schedule, I can't always attend them, but I love the chance to jump-start my scrapping. I always get more excited after a crop. My good friend and neighbor Jacque gets together with me several times a year to go to a crop - in fact we're doing the free crop at the Ramada on March 2. Anyone else signed up for that one? Anyone else planning to go to The Great American Scrapbook Convention in Arlington this summer? Jacque and I do that, too. We met some DISers last year for a crop. It was lots of fun.

Can you give me the information about the March 2 crop? I'm in Choctaw, and I've never been to an actual crop. I am busy too, but every now and then would be a lot of fun!

I'll wear my lime green Dis Con lanyard :)
Gerri

I just sent everyone that signed up the details for mailing in a PM. Let me know if you don't get this. Feel free to email me with any questions. I look forward to seeing everyone's work.

Lisa

Bother!!

Missed my chance, serve us right for being away at a certain place whilst you were organising the swap!! Hope it goes well!!

hey Snow!! what a great deal you got!! I bought mine from QVC a year or so ago. I love the full page format, I use it for everything.I'm going to get some time to scrap and stamp this evening.

I'm starting to stress out about this piecing swap :( No actually, I just have a couple of questions.
#1. Will there be a problem gluing Tinkerbell if I make her wings out of vellum? I read on another board that the glue/splits and ect show thru the vellum :(
#2. I haven't found any green sparkle/glittery paper for her dress, and I'd like it to be glittery. If I were to add glitter or paint glitter, will that make it unsafe to use as a scrap piece?
Thanks for any help.
Gerri

You could attach the wings on the back with photo splits or glue as no one would see the adhesive that way, also: there is a special type of photo split that is for vellum, but I think it still shows through a little bit. You might look for green "diamond dust" paper, it is very sparkly (comes in several colors). My local scrapbook stores sell glitter that is labeled acid free and if you don't use diamond dust paper, Im sure that the glitter found at the scrapbook stores would work. I think our local walmart even has the glitter that is labeled acid free (6 small bottles in one package--all different colors). Hope this helps a little. :)

I agree with what Snow White said. Just be aware of the glue that you use. Sounds like you have some really cute ideas! Don't stress about this. We can help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter