Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

Everything's coming up roses around here for our WDW trip starting tomorrow! I wasn't sure about a trip this year due to DD having a summer semester, but she thought it would be okay. I planned it to utilize the 7/4 holiday plus a weekend to minimize classes missed. Then she got her schedule to be Tu-Wed-Thu only, so only one day of class to miss on our Wed-Mon trip. Yesterday she called DH and there is flood water in her class building, so no classes this week other than her online one. So she came home early and is busy at home mowing etc. with no class or homework worries! There really isn't other flooding issues on campus or at her apartment.

As of late last week, she was sick, DH had a knee infection, my mom was struggling with a mystery illness, and we had a major storm with cleanup but as of today everything seems to be A-OK. Other than my SW boarding numbers are in the high B's...

Everything's coming up roses around here for our WDW trip starting tomorrow! I wasn't sure about a trip this year due to DD having a summer semester, but she thought it would be okay. I planned it to utilize the 7/4 holiday plus a weekend to minimize classes missed. Then she got her schedule to be Tu-Wed-Thu only, so only one day of class to miss on our Wed-Mon trip. Yesterday she called DH and there is flood water in her class building, so no classes this week other than her online one. So she came home early and is busy at home mowing etc. with no class or homework worries! There really isn't other flooding issues on campus or at her apartment.

As of late last week, she was sick, DH had a knee infection, my mom was struggling with a mystery illness, and we had a major storm with cleanup but as of today everything seems to be A-OK. Other than my SW boarding numbers are in the high B's...
It sure looks like everything came together for you at the last minute. Have a great trip!

My daughter came home from Paris June 23rd- she loved it! She had such a great time there. They went to Disney Paris one day too! We got her move in date for the fall- she moves in on Sept 2nd. I've been stocking up on things like pans, pots, blender, micro etc for her apartment in September.

DD’s summer job waitressing at the country club pool is not panning out so well. Her boss promised her 40 hours a week when he hired her back in early spring. Turns out he totally over hired, so no one is getting those hours. The pool didn’t open until after Memorial Day, so she didn’t work during her first 2 weeks home. Then the pool was slow during the month of June until public schools got out. She is only being scheduled 2 or 3 days a week. Sometimes she gets scheduled for a 9 hour shift but gets sent home early because the pool is slow or the boss scheduled too many workers.

Her paychecks have only totaled $550 so far!!! She was starting to panic, so she got in touch with her old boss at the ice cream shop (her HS job) and asked if she could be put on the schedule. She started there last week. With 2 jobs now, hopefully the paychecks will be bigger. She does have a campus job at the university gym this school year, so that will help. Her school job orientation is on Aug 13th.

Meanwhile DS, who will be a college senior, is bringing home paychecks bigger than mine from his summer finance internship. We also just got his financial aid award for 2018-2019. He got an $8200 scholarship grant. Yay!!! DD and DS both go to in state schools. DD got nothing but sub/unsub loans from her school the last 2 years. DS was only awarded unsub loans his first 2 years, but when DD started, he got good scholarships the 2 years they overlapped in school. His school must have more grant money to give away is all I can figure.

Last edited:

My daughter leaves tomorrow for a week at WDW and Universal with a neighborhood family. She's going as a mother's helper. Not a bad deal.

She also started an internship in her field of study. It's unpaid but it should give her some good experience and contacts.

She moves into her dorm August 24th and starts classes the 27th.

Our gap year is rapidly coming to a close. We depart with DD for the road trip to college in 31 days, move in to the dorm is in 35 days and my son will be flying back to home/work in 38 days which means, I am 39 days away from an official empty nest. Son is coming along on the road trip to take DD to college. I am so excited, we are leaving DH at home and I get the kids all to myself for the trip. DH and I are going to parent weekend in October, the move in dates were tough for him to take off so its just the kids and I.

DD is working at a Girl Scouts camp this summer as she has done the past couple of years. She comes home every few weeks for a day of rest and laundry and then returns to camp. She is thinking she might take a break next year and get involved in Student Orientation at her University - she really had a great time at Orientation and feels it would be a great fit to be a Orientation Leader so she is thinking that might be her summer next year which would mean she doesn't come home at all next summer.

Was sweating it out a bit waiting for financial aid award for this year- Northeastern had said they guarantee what they gave last year for all 4 years even if your income increased (mine didn't) but I still had doubts that was true- well they do give the same plus increase it by whatever percentage the tuition went up- so it covered all the tuition plus some of the housing. Since my daughter is a junior now (credit wise) her Stafford loan amount increases to Junior level so those will cover the remainder of the dorm-I am so grateful to that school for making it do-able! They upped her work study money too and the position she had last year as receptionist for the dean of the law school took her back for this coming year. I told her she has got to donate money back to that school when she graduates and starts making some money because she owes them big time!

We are starting to get DS ready to go back to school. He and a friend have a 2 bedroom townhouse starting August 1st. The summer went so fast. He has been hanging out and bussing tables at a local restaurant. I think he's ready to get back to school.

The summer is flying by way too fast! Between working and seeing her friends, I feel like we don't see DD enough and she'll be back at school at the beginning of September.

Speaking of school, after DD and her roommate picked a dorm for this coming year, they got a letter saying the school would have to put them somewhere else because they accepted to many freshmen and want to put a lot of them in that dorm. Annoying, but ok, except that it's been almost 2 months and they still haven't been given options for where they're going to live (housing promised them off campus and on campus options to choose from). If they don't hear by today, I think I may have to call. I was trying to stay out of it, but this is getting ridiculous. The girls email the housing dept regularly and they're always told they'll have an answer "in two weeks" or "next week" but yet, they've heard nothing.

My girls came home and we did a girls trip with my mom to Hilton Head. It was fun but then they got back and began the job search. Not many places were only interested in them working for summer only. Education major had interview to summer nanny a couple elementary school kids. Found out at the interview they were moving the following week and the drive would be 45 minutes for DD. She said no thanks. Other DD got a job at McDonalds. But she works 3 to midnight and it creeps us out...her leaving work so late. Especially when there are a couple older men customers who are sexually harassing her. So DH goes to pick her up or we wait up for her and she texts when she leaves. I will be glad when she is done working there.

Meanwhile they both decided they didnt want to play softball anymore. They want to focus on their classes and my McDonalds DD is also doing firefighting and wants to get EMT training too. Education major couldnt take classes she needed because of softball but now she can.

They go back the end of Aug. They are on campus again but will get an apartment next year. Being 9 hours away, it is so hard to get them for breaks but the campus shuts down (even turn off hot water and internet) so we kind of have to get them. Once in an apartment they can just stay.

My girls came home and we did a girls trip with my mom to Hilton Head. It was fun but then they got back and began the job search. Not many places were only interested in them working for summer only. Education major had interview to summer nanny a couple elementary school kids. Found out at the interview they were moving the following week and the drive would be 45 minutes for DD. She said no thanks. Other DD got a job at McDonalds. But she works 3 to midnight and it creeps us out...her leaving work so late. Especially when there are a couple older men customers who are sexually harassing her. So DH goes to pick her up or we wait up for her and she texts when she leaves. I will be glad when she is done working there.

Meanwhile they both decided they didnt want to play softball anymore. They want to focus on their classes and my McDonalds DD is also doing firefighting and wants to get EMT training too. Education major couldnt take classes she needed because of softball but now she can.

They go back the end of Aug. They are on campus again but will get an apartment next year. Being 9 hours away, it is so hard to get them for breaks but the campus shuts down (even turn off hot water and internet) so we kind of have to get them. Once in an apartment they can just stay.

My DD22 just graduated. She had a similar issue finding a job when she came home after freshman year. No one wanted to hire someone who could only work through July. She was going back to her college town the first of August to move into an apartment for sophomore year and to go back to her college town job.

The difficulty finding a job was one of the reasons that the apartment after year one was a good call. We live in a small remote city with no opportunities for internships. Her college was in a metro area with many opportunities. After sophomore and junior year, she stayed in the college town and worked some at her college job and did major related internships both summers. One of those worked into a second job in the college town. She was much happier with this scenario. I'm a teacher so both of those summers I went to visit her and we had fun in the big city. The internships helped her secure a job in her major upon graduation this past May.

Her boyfriend did similar- only coming home after freshman year- and his internships also set him up for a job at graduation.

They are both settled in another major city working their first grown up full time jobs.

Good luck to all of you. The college years were fun!

DD got her lower wisdom teeth out today. She found out she needed two removed the day her younger brother was having his out.

She is done with physics and is currently in the calc class. Which is going well.

Her boyfriend graduates boot camp the Friday right before she goes back to start classes. DH is taking her to watch. He does not get to watch, only 4 are allowed in and his family gets the other three tickets.

We will move most of her stuff in Aug 18 but she will be returning home, to babysit a dog and then to go to graduation for the BF and then we will take her back that following weekend.

We are going to purchases a tiny tiny freezer for her dorm. Sundays there is no supper offer.

She is only not liking one class time offer for her next classes. She hopes when other change during the first week of classes when other change their schedules.

She misses the BF a lot.

DD got her lower wisdom teeth out today. She found out she needed two removed the day her younger brother was having his out.

She is done with physics and is currently in the calc class. Which is going well.

Her boyfriend graduates boot camp the Friday right before she goes back to start classes. DH is taking her to watch. He does not get to watch, only 4 are allowed in and his family gets the other three tickets.

We will move most of her stuff in Aug 18 but she will be returning home, to babysit a dog and then to go to graduation for the BF and then we will take her back that following weekend.

We are going to purchases a tiny tiny freezer for her dorm. Sundays there is no supper offer.

She is only not liking one class time offer for her next classes. She hopes when other change during the first week of classes when other change their schedules.

She misses the BF a lot.
I have to admire her for taking two really difficult classes over the summer! My DD is taking a Psychology class online through her college and she says it's hard to keep up. I can't imagine trying to keep up with Physics and Calc!

It was nice of her BF's family to include her in the boot camp graduation. Good thoughts going out to him for him to stay safe.

Niece is doing really well, working two jobs this summer. She really wants to save up for a new (to her) car for junior year. Less than a month left at home. I've barely seen her all summer.

My son has been home and lazy all summer. Part of it is that I planned a 2 week WDW trip in August, so he wasn't able to find anywhere that wanted him to work only June and July. I figure it's his last lazy summer, so he might as well enjoy it. Next year he's hoping for an internship type position for the summer. If not, he'll be working somewhere.

This has been a summer in limbo for our family. DS21 had some health concerns in February that put any big plans on hold until we knew the outcome--he's now fine. Then DH was supposed to be helping his brother through some medical concerns 6 hours away, but there's been a delay in BIL's treatment. And DH and I decided to save our $$ to pay off our mortgage-so we scratched summer trips for all of these reasons.

So DS21 and DS19 (class of 2017) came home mid May and hunted for summer jobs--like several others (glad to hear ours wasn't the only experience) no one wanted to hire temporary summer help. DS19 managed to talk himself into a dishwasher job at Cracker Barrel and is learning a lot about working minimum wage part time jobs and the managers of these types jobs. Had a long discussion today that this is why he's going to college so he's not stuck long term in having to have one of these jobs permanently .

They have 3 weeks before heading back to school. They will be rooming in an apartment together this year. DS21 had a roommate move out so DS19 is moving in. We'll have a few things to get for DS19 and DS21. DH and I will head up for an event for DS21 after they've been back for a week and we'll help them finish setting things up.

Next summer, they are planning to not come home and search for jobs in their college town. Bittersweet to think this may be the last summer they are carefree and at home, but it's also time for them to make their leaps on their own.

My daughter has been on staff at a Girl Scout camp the past 3 summers, its been great as she knows she has a summer job. However, after the deduction for Room & Board, she is learning she works really hard for not a lot of money.
She attended her university orientation in May and has decided she just might want to be a student orientation leader next year which means, she won't be coming home. I am curious tho and this remains to be seen, since the university still houses the Orientation leaders, I am curious how R&B are handled and if it will be similar to Girl Scouts. While DD has loved her years at camp, like all things, its starting to get old and the dollar return on her time is no longer being balanced with a love of what her job duties are. Its probably time to move on.

Where I work, we are a small mfg company, we hired all the managers kids and even a few of their friends for the summer. We have had teenagers running all over the place all summer, it reminds us to be youthful and not grumpy!

My DD is a lifeguard and a swim instructor. There are many pools in the area that all need help so she had no problem finding a job. The one she found pays much better than the one from last year, but she did need to pass a background check, get a TB test and get fingerprinted for it since it's with the city.

My daughter is finally home from all her traveling and working again- she gets a few days a week at the ice cream place she had worked at since she was 14 (they let her go back there every summer and break), she has done some product testing at Estee Lauder- she made 230.00 on Monday for just being there for 10 hours with make up on her face- they fed them catered breakfast, lunch and dinner and pay them, not bad. I have been doing that for years for extra money. And she has picked up a few acting jobs as extras- last week she filmed 2 towns over from us on The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt- they cast her because she fit the robot suit LOL, they needed someone under 5'1" and under 90 pounds and over 18 so she fit that role! Sunday she is filming on some other show I never heard of called Journal.

My daughter enjoyed her week at Disney with a neighbor family. She deep into her internship and Korean lessons. We got some good news with regard to additional financial aid including work study. She's exploring different opportunities to apply for. She has a good schedule with most afternoons free so she should be able to easily work part-time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter