Parking/Bus or Personal Vehicle?

JenCl456

Earning My Ears
I was trying to find out the parking fees. I read that parking at a value resorts is $13.00/day. If you say at a Disney resort, park parking is free.

With that being said why would you take the bus instead of driving your own vehicle?

Some people just don't like to drive while on vacation. They don't like navigating in an unfamiliar place, or maybe they just want to relax and turn the driving over to Disney.

In the case of MK, taking the bus can make for a shorter commute with less walking. If you drive, you park at the TTC and then must take a monorail or ferry to the park entrance. The bus drops off right at the park entrance.

Some people just don't like to drive while on vacation. They don't like navigating in an unfamiliar place, or maybe they just want to relax and turn the driving over to Disney.

In the case of MK, taking the bus can make for a shorter commute with less walking. If you drive, you park at the TTC and then must take a monorail or ferry to the park entrance. The bus drops off right at the park entrance.

Ah...makes sense. Thank you!

We always take the bus to MK, so much easier than fussing with the boat or monorail. We sometimes drive to the other parks, depending on when we are coming and going.

However we were at WDW in April and there was a tremendous amount of road construction so for our trip in September we’ll probably use the bus.

Last edited:
I was trying to find out the parking fees. I read that parking at a value resorts is $13.00/day. If you say at a Disney resort, park parking is free.

With that being said why would you take the bus instead of driving your own vehicle?
The times we do drive it's because we want to be free to drink without concern about driving.
And we drive all the time at home. Vacation includes a vacation from work, driving, cooking, cleaning, laundry, everything

Also, depending on where the person with the car is going, the bus may be more direct. Example: MK.

I would say about 60% of my onsite stays have been with a car. When I have a car, there are days I drive and days I use WDW transportation, it just depends on where/when I am going to a park and if I want to drive or not.

We're doing a road trip from Chicago so after driving 2 days we're looking forward to leaving the car at the hotel for a few days. We will drive a bit but mostly going to enjoy being a passenger.

This is me!!! All of the above lol.

In addition to the reasons given above, I figured that taking the buses instead of driving reduced my risk of my car being in an accident while there to near zero. We didn't have any problems with the buses, so it was worth it to me, especially since we saw several rather nasty accidents. We did drive to Typhoon Lagoon because I felt that the ease of driving vs. changing buses with our gear and while damp was worth the additional risk.

On average car is going to be quicker than bus. Sometimes a lot quicker. If you are staying somewhere with an internal bus loop like SSR or CBR and it’s busy, you can drive to a park before a bus would even clear the resort parking lot.
After taking 45 minutes to go by bus from AKL Kidani to AK, I kinda like driving.
Still like others have noted, to MK or if you plan to drink busses can be useful.

When we stayed in off property hotels and visited places such as Busch Gardens, Universal, Sea World and Kennedy Space Centre then we had a hire car and drove everywhere. These days we tend to stay on property and just use Disney transport for everything. On our last visit we had a two day ticket for Universal and just pre-booked a transfer with our tour company for a small fee. No hassle with parking/parking fees and can have a drink or two with no worries.

Just to make sure OP has all the options, in addition to driving or take the Disney buses, you can also have an Uber/Lyft, or the super-cute Minnie Vans.

If you're heading to MK, Minnie Vans can drop off/pick you up at a designated area in the bus station, which is super close/convenient. Vacation with style!

Just to make sure OP has all the options, in addition to driving or take the Disney buses, you can also have an Uber/Lyft, or the super-cute Minnie Vans.

If you're heading to MK, Minnie Vans can drop off/pick you up at a designated area in the bus station, which is super close/convenient. Vacation with style!

We watched IllumiNations near the water between France and the UK. Afterwards we walked through the International Gateway and got a Lyft to Pop Century within minutes at Beach Club resort. The best $8-ish we spent!

We watched IllumiNations near the water between France and the UK. Afterwards we walked through the International Gateway and got a Lyft to Pop Century within minutes at Beach Club resort. The best $8-ish we spent!

$8 is cheap!!!

$8 is cheap!!!
I think the original price was around $9. My daughter had some sort of promo for 50% off the base (not fees) which brought it down to under $6, and she tipped $2.50. Even at full price, it would have been worth it!

When it was just my fie and I and no strollers and diaper bags, we used the buses. Especially if we would go to EPCOT as I really enjoy German beer. LOL

Now, I rather drive and wrestle the stroller in and out of my own car. I still have to deal with the tram and monorail at MK though, but I don't mind driving. I know Orlando well enough to get around fine.

For Lyft? Depends on where you are going and the vehicle size but that's about an avg price for the small vehicle based on looking at my ride history. Before tip mind you.

Of course. We are a family of 3. We won't be carrying a stroller. Looks like it will be faster/easier to take our personal vehicle everywhere besides MK. I know we will want to watch the fireworks at least one night that we are at MK so I worry about the cluster leaving after the fireworks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter