Pecos Bill No More “Free” Guac

That doesn't make sense. You think it's reasonable because they're expensive, but it's still greedy? o_O

Avocados are not expensive right now. At certain times of the year or in certain years’ crops, they can be, which is what I said.

But that’s not my point. I just think that the comments on this thread about Disney deciding suddenly to charge for it due to the greed of its guests are not accurate.

Avocados are not expensive right now. At certain times of the year or in certain years’ crops, they can be, which is what I said.

They're $1.50 where we live, pretty expensive in my book. The irony is that we live right on the Mexican Border, where people grow them in their back yards. Not sure why, but we consider them high priced around here.

Is Disney greedy? Absolutely. But....

I've waited behind folks at the fixings bar while they constructed a large salad from what was an empty plate when they started. I've waited in line at the bar behind folks who obviously split one single meal two or three ways, then each of them loaded up on two or three scoops of guacamole and other items like it was a buffet. I've been behind folks who brought a dirty plate they'd already eaten one helping off of to get seconds. There are folks here who even condone and encourage this activity ("you can feed two or three people by buying one meal and using the 'generous' fixings bar"). It's an "enhancements" bar folks....not an ayce buffet. I have no problem with people sharing meals, but this is no different than two people expecting to eat from a buffet and only paying for one meal.

If you're guilty of any of what I described above, then you share blame as well, whether you choose to believe it or not. Folks taking advantage like I described end up costing everyone in the end, as we are seeing now. Why not just be glad you were able to take advantage of it in past trips and realize that Disney simply closed another loophole?

@DisBuckMan obviously, you believe that the reason Disney started charging for guacamole is that they noticed guests treating the toppings bar like a buffet, but I don’t think that’s true at all.

It wouldn’t have mattered if most guests took only small servings of guacamole. It’s due to something like cost/benefit analysis or more likely marketing surveys showing other quick food service outlets in the area charging for guacamole. Which is the same reason that they started charging resort guests for parking.

IMO, the charge for guac by itself is not a big deal, but this makes it two items inside a short period of time that Disney started to charge for, that were previously complimentary. We will soon see if that’s a coincidence or this is a trend.

I will say this—they didn’t start charging for parking to close a loophole. It’s doubtful that many people were taking two spaces for one car.

This brought to mind.... our first ( and last dessert party) which was years back at MK, and Tink literally flew over our heads.. awesome fun and lovely desserts, but people were literally loading their plateS, piles high, multiple plates. Only to see sooo much wasted food.
Literally people gorging themselves.
Like they never get dessert?

I remember thinking it was gross .. and still feel the same.
... and it’s few and far between I’ll delve into a Buffet ...
Just saying lol

@DisBuckMan obviously, you believe that the reason Disney started charging for guacamole is that they noticed guests treating the toppings bar like a buffet, but I don’t think that’s true at all.

It wouldn’t have mattered if most guests took only small servings of guacamole. It’s due to something like cost/benefit analysis or more likely marketing surveys showing other quick food service outlets in the area charging for guacamole. Which is the same reason that they started charging resort guests for parking.

IMO, the charge for guac by itself is not a big deal, but this makes it two items inside a short period of time that Disney started to charge for, that were previously complimentary. We will soon see if that’s a coincidence or this is a trend.

I will say this—they didn’t start charging for parking to close a loophole. It’s doubtful that many people were taking two spaces for one car.

I figured someone would attempt to draw some strange parallel between them getting rid of the guacamole off the bar and getting rid of free parking.

This is NOTHING like charging for parking. Guacamole is a variable cost that increases with every dollop that's put on a plate. Parking spots are a FIXED expense that costs Disney the same amount whether a vehicle occupies them or not. The cost of a parking spot does not increase with the number of cars that use it, or if like you say, one car uses two spaces.

Cost/benefit analysis with the guacamole? Of course.

Is Disney greedy? Absolutely. But....

I've waited behind folks at the fixings bar while they constructed a large salad from what was an empty plate when they started. I've waited in line at the bar behind folks who obviously split one single meal two or three ways, then each of them loaded up on two or three scoops of guacamole and other items like it was a buffet. I've been behind folks who brought a dirty plate they'd already eaten one helping off of to get seconds. There are folks here who even condone and encourage this activity ("you can feed two or three people by buying one meal and using the 'generous' fixings bar"). It's an "enhancements" bar folks....not an ayce buffet. I have no problem with people sharing meals, but this is no different than two people expecting to eat from a buffet and only paying for one meal.

If you're guilty of any of what I described above, then you share blame as well, whether you choose to believe it or not. Folks taking advantage like I described end up costing everyone in the end, as we are seeing now. Why not just be glad you were able to take advantage of it in past trips and realize that Disney simply closed another loophole?

Yes to all of this. I have seen MANY money savings articles or blog posts written about saving money at Disney, and this is one of the most common ones I have seen. Order one meal and load up at the toppings bar and feed your family of 4. I remember reading one article where someone grabbed some salad dressing from a food court somewhere (for free) and then went to Pecos Bill and made a huge salad. I won't be surprised if they eventually get rid of the bar altogether and just offer small toppings when you pay for your meal. Greed ruins it for everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter