pick a pearl setting

Hi, everybody,

I wanted to share my experience at the Pearl Factory in Disneyland's Downtown Disney last week. I didn't like it nearly as much as Epcot. The pearl my daughter got was only so-so (probably a 6.5 mm white) but the woman (who did not measure it) commented that it was a big one. Then she proceeded to try to sell us gold settings that were over $300, and the prices were not marked clearly in the case, so we were reliant on saying to her, no, that's too expensive, no that's still too expensive, untll she wore us down to a silver one that she said was $89, but then when we chose it, she said "Oops, sorry, it's $99."

Doing that with my daughter, who I had to prevent from getting attached to anything until it was in our price range, was not too fun.

We'll be going back to Epcot next trip. :)

They are more expensive in DTD, we did it once, I got a gold pendant ( back in 2010) was $60 but we go to Japan every year..

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I'm looking forward to doing this again with my DD for our August trip. She turns 13 a few days before we leave. She has picked a pearl for just about everyone of our trips. This time, maybe we'll have it set for her for her birthday!:)

I've read a lot about the Pick a Pearl and I want to do it when we go for our 1yr Anniversary in a few weeks. I want to be able to wear my pearl as a necklace but I don't want to break the bank doing it. Is it better to buy your setting there or buy one online and bring it. I have found a cinderella carriage one being sold on ebay for about $6.00 plus shipping. Are prices close to that in the park?

Thanks!

Dudley12 said:
I've read a lot about the Pick a Pearl and I want to do it when we go for our 1yr Anniversary in a few weeks. I want to be able to wear my pearl as a necklace but I don't want to break the bank doing it. Is it better to buy your setting there or buy one online and bring it. I have found a cinderella carriage one being sold on ebay for about $6.00 plus shipping. Are prices close to that in the park?

Thanks!

The silver Cinderella cage is $49.95 at Disney.

The silver Cinderella cage is $49.95 at Disney.

But that's still way less expensive than what we got at DTD in DL. I think you have to expect to pay more than $6 for something that won't turn your skin green, but my experience at the one in Epcot was that there were lots of reasonable choices. Also, you don't know what you'll get ahead of time, and you might want a different setting if you get, say, twins, or a really large pearl.

I have never done this but we are this trip. I have a sensitive daughter who gets grossed oit easily.. when they open it up is there an oyster inside?

If so what do they do with the oyster?

Is there somewhere I can look at the settibgs before we go?

The carriage at Disney is sterling. You get what you pay for :rotfl2: I have read about people that bought the EBay ones and are happy with them , but I wanted to be sure it stayed looking pretty. ;)

I have never done this but we are this trip. I have a sensitive daughter who gets grossed oit easily.. when they open it up is there an oyster inside?

If so what do they do with the oyster?

Is there somewhere I can look at the settibgs before we go?

There is definitely an oyster inside. They very discreetly dispose of it and make a big deal about the pearl. :yay: Somewhere on this thread there is a great post from someone showing a whole bunch of actual pictures of the showcase at Disney ( with prices ). It was very helpful to me , but , I don't know what the page number is. :confused3

I bought 4 of the sliver plate Cinderella Carriage cages on eBay for the pearls we were going to get in Japan... I took clear nail polish and brushed it over each of the cages. So far so good, no green yet ;)

There is definitely an oyster inside. They very discreetly dispose of it and make a big deal about the pearl. :yay: Somewhere on this thread there is a great post from someone showing a whole bunch of actual pictures of the showcase at Disney ( with prices ). It was very helpful to me , but , I don't know what the page number is. :confused3

I'm on the app and I can't see post numbers, but my post on page 135 has a link to easyWDW with pictures and prices.

The carriage at Disney is sterling. You get what you pay for :rotfl2: I have read about people that bought the EBay ones and are happy with them , but I wanted to be sure it stayed looking pretty. ;)

Thank you!! I was hoping that they were sterling since this is a little extra something for my DD's 5th bday. I can't wear most costume metal jewelry because it breaks my ears or neck out and I'm scared that DD will be like me.

Also, do you know if you can get this setting at DTD? TIA

We did pick a pearl for our 3 girls in Japan and they loved it! But, beware of the settings... We had one break and fall off the chain... No idea where that one is and a second one broke at home today when my daughter was hugging me. To do again, I would just bring the pearls home and go to my local jeweler to make sure the settings were secure.

Thanks!

The problem with the pearl cage is, if you get a larger pearl it won't fit in the cage. At Epcot, to pick a pearl it's $17. I got a setting and chain for $37 together, all told it was $54. More than I wanted to spend but I am very happy with it. I wear it pretty often.

2012-09-02_15-02-11_872.jpg

There is definitely an oyster inside. They very discreetly dispose of it and make a big deal about the pearl. :yay:

Actually, at DL last week, the woman took the knife she used to open the oyster, and sliced out the pearl from the oyster, and then sliced up the oyster into little bits to make sure there wasn't a second pearl. *I* was actually a little grossed out! But my daughter, who is also usually sensitive, was fine, and they did dispose of it discreetly after that. I don't remember them doing all that in Epcot.

I have seen it done several times before in Epcot. I have actually seen the person " find " another one too ! :woohoo:

Looking to do this in Japan. Do the pendants come with the necklace or do you have to buy it separately? If you do have to buy separately, how much do the necklaces cost? Thanks!

Looking to do this in Japan. Do the pendants come with the necklace or do you have to buy it separately? If you do have to buy separately, how much do the necklaces cost? Thanks!

I'm not 100% sure but I think the chain is separate. My setting and chain together were $37. You can see mine at the top of this page. It is very tiny and delicate, perfect for me. It was also one of the less expensive ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter