Pixie dust opportunities

We had extra fast passes (because we had six tickets, but a few too short/not interested in some rides) and several times we grabbed a couple out of the end of the standby line (busy week, so it was at 60 minutes for BTMR) when we were going to go through the fastpass line and let them use our extras. They were always super excited.

We also try to bring extra glow items (bracelets, necklaces, etc.) and hand them out to kids around us waiting for parades or shows.

I have pin traded with kids before and I have bought balloons on my first day and given them away on my last day.

HOWEVER , I ALWAYS TALK TO THE ADULT / PARENT WITH THE CHILD FIRST

PP are correct, it is not ok to teach kids about stranger danger and then in Disneyland totally disregard the stranger danger rules

I always say to the responsible adult / parent, I see your little one is interested in pin trading, would they like to trade with me?

When I gave away balloons, I said to the responsible adult / parent, I am leaving today and I cant take this balloon on the plane, would your little one like to have it?

Just because it is Disney, does not mean that real world safety rules get ignored.

I try to spread pixie dust all year round. Each week when I buy bread at the bakery I give the staff money for a cookie, but ask the salespeople to give it to the customer they feel could use a boost. It's become a tradition that the clerks look forward to as well! I've done this in various places at Disney, too. For a few dollars it is a nice surprise, and since it is coming from staff it's somehow official and not directly from strangers. I also leave coins on machines throughout the park and look for opportunities to spread kindness in small ways.

This is probably not something that would come up often, but when I was solo, there was the time I was on Star Tours but neglected to pick up 3-D glasses-- distracted, I guess-- so the ride was pretty useless. As I left I talked to a cast member, shamefacedly admitting I was dumb and missed the "take a pair of glasses" signs, and she cheerfully gave me a fastpass to go through again, with 2 other members of my party-- like a child swap. But I was solo. So I took a look at the standby line, which was about 60 minutes, approached a couple (It was a mom and her adult son) and asked them if they'd like to accompany me. I explained, and they were delighted. We chatted through the short fastpass line, and they thanked me several times, including once more as we got off the ride. It was great!

What a wonderful thread. Our children have given away their balloons before. We live in Australia so cannot take them on the plane. Each child has chosen a child on our last day and gone up with me and asked if they would like it. After the balloon bringing so much joy, then the gifting bringing so much, it's an amazing thing to watch unfold.
We have shared glow in the dark bracelets ect for the nighttime parades as well, also through our children sharing with others around them. It creates conversation and a sense of community/friendship for the limited time too.
I am getting ideas for our next trip too. The pennies are great!

Other Guests are now a major part of the Guest Experience, so be kind to each other!
Obviously ask the Parental Units first before giving things to a child. :/
I wish we could have found someone to give our last 3 anytime FP+ paper passes on our last night at MK, but we didn't... so now they go in the scrapbook!
We had a lovely couple in line with us at Sideshow Pete's tent, in line for Goofy and Donald. They had a massive binder of trading pins, and they gave a Minnie pin to DD just because...

A practical form of pixie dust is post-its or stickers for the toilet flush sensors in the restrooms. Thankfully, it's been a long time since I've had to carry these in my bag, but we used to have these in plentiful supply, so I would ask any moms of young ones who looked to be about potty training age if they wanted a post-it or a sticker to cover the sensor so the toilet wouldn't flush on its own until the youngster was "ready" to flush. Fun stickers from the dollar store always brought a smile from both mom and child. Just make sure the stickers are opaque so the sensor doesn't show through.

A practical form of pixie dust is post-its or stickers for the toilet flush sensors in the restrooms. Thankfully, it's been a long time since I've had to carry these in my bag, but we used to have these in plentiful supply, so I would ask any moms of young ones who looked to be about potty training age if they wanted a post-it or a sticker to cover the sensor so the toilet wouldn't flush on its own until the youngster was "ready" to flush. Fun stickers from the dollar store always brought a smile from both mom and child. Just make sure the stickers are opaque so the sensor doesn't show through.
This is brilliant and I wish I knew about it when my kids were really little!

While it’s a nice thought I would never let my kids take anything from a stranger- even at Disney. Agree best thing is be polite and kind to everyone as best pixie dust if you feel the need to do something.

Agree with PP, I'd love pixie dust - adults are kids too! Another way around the stranger danger is to covertly give the pixie dust (balloons/pins/stickers) to the parent and let them be the hero. Double the pixie dust!

These have all been great ideas here, and inspiration. I'm already making a list of things to give.

This year I'm going to take extra folding accordion hand fans with me to give out when we go in August. I don't know how many people asked me last August where I'd gotten my fan, and how they were disappointed when I said I'd brought it from home. I hope I can make some people happy if they ask about them again this year. :yo-yo:

While I get the idea of not giving children stuff I see Disney as a special place and similar to not accepting candy from a stranger but it’s ok on Halloween
Halloween is different. YOU go up to the house with a light on and request candy. You are in control of what houses you approach.

Your child is not approached by a random stranger seeking to stroke their own ego by barging into your vacation to give some random piece of junk like a sticker.

I am going to differ here and say some stranger approaching us with junk would not be "pixie dust" but an intrusion into our vacation. You would be demanding we give you some of our valuable time just to satisfy some need of yours.

There is a huge difference between giving away an extra fast pass you received and can't use or a balloon at the end of a vacation or what tankgirl! does above and actually planning and purchasing some junk just to be able to stop people and give out to children on their vacations. The former is normal, the latter is creepy.

OP, if you happen to approach us, please do not get offended if we say "no thank you and turn and walk away. We are on a family vacation and would prefer not to be stopped to entertain you (general you) and your ego. A vacation to Disney World or Land is Pixie Dust enough for us. We don't need strangers to "enhance" it. The cast members go far above and beyond making a vacation special.

Just my opinion (others may differ) but pixie dust can not be purchased. A smile, letting someone with a dancing child in line in front of you at the bathroom, being polite, those are all real "pixie dust." Not stopping some random child on the street to give them a sticker or some other trinket. Real pixie dust has no benefit to the giver (they don't see the results.) If you have to be part of the pixie dust then it is for your own benefit.

Perhaps since we would prefer not to be approached by some random stranger, we should wear "no soliciting buttons" while on vacation to turn away those soliciting boosts to the egos :rotfl2:

I guess I was imagining that it would be saved more for special situations. Like you see a kid, totally overtired in tears and the mom pulling out her hair and you hand the mom some bubbles. Or you are already chatting with strangers in line (extroverts conversing with extroverts) and you offer them something. Natural progressions not like randomly hunting down strangers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter