Please learn from my mistakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
daisey mae muggles said:
Maybe medical documentation for need, just like for a parking permit is in order.

That would be a good idea, because I would put $100 bucks on the 2 guys I saw at Epcot medically needed them. Each had a leg up on the handle bars, so a preschooler could sit on the foot part, held another kid on their lap and were driving those things one handed like they were in the Indy 500. Wives pushing strollers were running to keep up with them.

Can forget about asking for a reason to rent scooter, will never happen unless the Hippa law gets changed. Nobody has a right to ask a person what their disability is. Even medical staff can't talk about it to insurance, other staff, or family without the patient's consent. All rights lie with the patient. In fact, an emplorer can't ask an employee why they called in sick anymore.

Just wanted to mention, that I saw 2 security guards go up to a lady who was in a Disney rented scooter holding a child on their lap. The security told her that she can't hold anyone on the scooter. That the paper she signed to rent it said it was only for her use.

You don't need to disclose any medical information, only a letter from your MD on his offical letterhead stating there is a medical need. I needed to provide this letter for wheelchair seating for a concert club we belong to. Front row w/c seating at concerts is abused in the same way. Request w/c seating, walk in , dance all night, whew,that was great. The letter we needed to provide, stopped it all cold. Funny you never see anyone pretend they are blind so they can't see the show.

daisey mae muggles said:
I needed to provide this letter for wheelchair seating for a concert club we belong to.

That is a violation of the ADA and they can be sued for that. The law states that you do not have to prove you have a disability.

Michigan said:
That is a violation of the ADA and they can be sued for that. The law states that you do not have to prove you have a disability.
::yes::
Here's a link to ADA information. And, a quote from the pertinent part:
Sec.36.301 Eligibility criteria.

(a) General. A public accommodation shall not impose or apply eligibility criteria that screen out or tend to screen out an individual with a disability or any class of individuals with disabilities from fully and equally enjoying any goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations, unless such criteria can be shown to be necessary for the provision of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations being offered.

(b) Safety. A public accommodation may impose legitimate safety requirements that are necessary for safe operation. Safety requirements must be based on actual risks and not on mere speculation, stereotypes, or generalizations about individuals with disabilities.

(c) Charges. A public accommodation may not impose a surcharge on a particular individual with a disability or any group of individuals with disabilities to cover the costs of measures, such as the provision of auxiliary aids, barrier removal, alternatives to barrier removal, and reasonable modifications in policies, practices, or procedures, that are required to provide that individual or group with the nondiscriminatory treatment required by the Act or this part.

Requiring proof of a disability has been interpreted as imposing elegibility criteria that could screen out a person with a disability. Making them get a doctor's letter to participate or use the accessible seating is an extra 'step' and an extra expense that people without disabilities don't have.
lovethattink said:
Can forget about asking for a reason to rent scooter, will never happen unless the Hippa law gets changed.
A lot of people think the reason is because of HIPPA, but that is not true. HIPPA has to do with health care and sharing information with health care providers and insurance only. It has nothing to do with businesses and proof of disability to get accomidations.
The ADA says no one can be forced to prove their disability to get accomidation. (see the quote from the ADA information.
Nobody has a right to ask a person what their disability is. Even medical staff can't talk about it to insurance, other staff, or family without the patient's consent. All rights lie with the patient. In fact, an emplorer can't ask an employee why they called in sick anymore.
HIPPA does have to do with sharing information, but it doesn't say it can't be shared at all without the patient's consent. It does put limits on what information can be shared and to whom. I am a Health Care worker. I can share information about patient to other people (including insurance companies) if that information is needed to provide care to the patient.
I can't share information with people who are not providing any care to the patient. I can't share information that is not pertinent to the care they are providing. I can't just look up information on a chart because I want to. I am required to have a valid reason to look at the information.

My main concern is that people who actually need one of those scooters are able to get one.

Starr W. said:
My main concern is that people who actually need one of those scooters are able to get one.
That is why it is a good idea to rent one for your length of stay from outside the park or bring your own as I do.

As I stated previously according to Disney, the ECV are just that convenience, not medical, and ANYONE has the right to rent one for any reason.

So either they provide unlimited ones or those who absolutely need one should bring one.

I fly with mine even though it means possible damage and having to rent a large enough vehicle to transport it etc. and while I may use the Magic Express this time, which will transport it, I still need the large enough vehicle once I get to the Resort. pirate:

Mickiethepooh said:
That is why it is a good idea to rent one for your length of stay from outside the park or bring your own as I do.

As I stated previously according to Disney, the ECV are just that convenience, not medical, and ANYONE has the right to rent one for any reason.

So either they provide unlimited ones or those who absolutely need one should bring one.

I fly with mine even though it means possible damage and having to rent a large enough vehicle to transport it etc. and while I may use the Magic Express this time, which will transport it, I still need the large enough vehicle once I get to the Resort. pirate:

My Dad had his own too, he rented one somewhere and didn't like how it "ran".

Yes, rent from off property if you need one.

SIL has had congestive heart failure, two heart attacks, diabetes and a deteriorating hip. Her trip prior to moving down, she'd just had heart surgery and thought she'd be able to propel herself in her manual chair. Nope, not happening. Sure, most people would look and see an obese person and think that that was the reason she now uses an ECV. The weight is just a by product of limited mobility.

Personally, my legs look perfectly fine when I'm wearing pants-although right now, there's a bandage strapped around my ankle and soon an Unna boot. Sure, I look healthy, if a bit overweight. However, I did some walking around WDW for a wedding this past weekend and I'm STILL recovering from it. My pride and the opinions of others keep me from using a chair as often as I should.

I won't pass judgement on someone in a chair (except on the occasion that I'm pushing someone in a chair and the wheelchair behind me keeps butting me with theirs-that's another story) because I know full well that my issues are not noticable and that may be their case as well. Much like the people who scowl at my 10yo Aspie when he's having one of his many meltdowns. Sure, he looks ten, but emotionally he's about 18 months.

Suzanne

Poohnatic said:
Yes, rent from off property if you need one.

SIL has had congestive heart failure, two heart attacks, diabetes and a deteriorating hip. Her trip prior to moving down, she'd just had heart surgery and thought she'd be able to propel herself in her manual chair. Nope, not happening. Sure, most people would look and see an obese person and think that that was the reason she now uses an ECV. The weight is just a by product of limited mobility.

Personally, my legs look perfectly fine when I'm wearing pants-although right now, there's a bandage strapped around my ankle and soon an Unna boot. Sure, I look healthy, if a bit overweight. However, I did some walking around WDW for a wedding this past weekend and I'm STILL recovering from it. My pride and the opinions of others keep me from using a chair as often as I should.

I won't pass judgement on someone in a chair (except on the occasion that I'm pushing someone in a chair and the wheelchair behind me keeps butting me with theirs-that's another story) because I know full well that my issues are not noticable and that may be their case as well. Much like the people who scowl at my 10yo Aspie when he's having one of his many meltdowns. Sure, he looks ten, but emotionally he's about 18 months.

Suzanne

Rather OT, but I also have a 10yr Aspie son also. I am amazed at how many parents of Aspie kids I have seen on these boards.

SueM in MN said:
Here's a link to ADA information. And, a quote from the pertinent part:
Sec.36.301 Eligibility criteria.

(a) General. A public accommodation shall not impose or apply eligibility criteria that screen out or tend to screen out an individual with a disability or any class of individuals with disabilities from fully and equally enjoying any goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations, unless such criteria can be shown to be necessary for the provision of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations being offered.

(

But the reason the poster had to get a doctor's note was because the HC seating was being abused - so that the criteria of showing the doctor's note was to make sure those that needed the seating to fully and equally enjoy the goods/services, etc. would be the ones to sit there, not those who were supposedly abusing the situation. It would be necessary to be able to tell the needy from the abusers.

I would think that if you were in need of certain seating, you would have some documentation already? I've got plenty of documentation for my leg problem, and my daughter's eye problem. If I need something else, I can get the doctor's office to fax me a letter stating what I need, for free. It's not really a burden, because that information is something I should have anyways, IMO.

Schmeck said:
But the reason the poster had to get a doctor's note was because the HC seating was being abused - so that the criteria of showing the doctor's note was to make sure those that needed the seating to fully and equally enjoy the goods/services, etc. would be the ones to sit there, not those who were supposedly abusing the situation. It would be necessary to be able to tell the needy from the abusers.

I would think that if you were in need of certain seating, you would have some documentation already? I've got plenty of documentation for my leg problem, and my daughter's eye problem. If I need something else, I can get the doctor's office to fax me a letter stating what I need, for free. It's not really a burden, because that information is something I should have anyways, IMO.

I TOTALLY disagree with you. and so fortunately does the Law.

It is simply no ones business what my medical conditions may be. I Hate that there is the abuse there is, it certainly says a lot about our society and human nature. but it is still not right to put yet a further burden on the disabled to make THEM Prove they need something. and exactly what condition requires it etc.
as I say the law forbids that, at least for the present though it seems privacy rights as well as many other freedoms and rights are disappearing daily. pirate:

Mickiethepooh said:
I TOTALLY disagree with you. and so fortunately does the Law.

It is simply no ones business what my medical conditions may be. I Hate that there is the abuse there is, it certainly says a lot about our society and human nature. but it is still not right to put yet a further burden on the disabled to make THEM Prove they need something. and exactly what condition requires it etc.
as I say the law forbids that, at least for the present though it seems privacy rights as well as many other freedoms and rights are disappearing daily. pirate:
I was just posting what the law is. It's too bad that there are people who are so focused on 'getting' something that they would knowingly take it away from someone who actually needs it.

I have lots of proof that DD is disabled, but making me prove it every time we need something would not be fair. It's bad enough that we have to live with someone with a permanent disability without having to continually have to bring it up to get the things she needs.

I was just pointing out what the law says as well - it seems to me that asking for 'proof', ie a doctor's note, is what the second half of the section I quoted is about - "unless such criteria can be shown to be necessary for"... What is this part about if not for the prevention of abuse? Got any examples?

I think it should be as HC parking. Not anyone can park in a HC spot they need a sticker. I don't know their Dx nor do I need to. If an MD has given them the documentation to get an HC sticker or plates thats all I need to know. A doctor has deamed they need the HC spot and it becomes a non-issue. I know that the EVC are not just Medically needed but maybe that should also be looked at. I am old enough to remember the days prior to the HC plates and how HC parking was abused badly. That cut down dramatically after the plates became required.

I agree there are people who are obese for "medical" reasons and those are people who a MD would decide need an EVC/WC, GAC.If an MD was involved people would also have entry into the system and possibly get help they normally would not have. Our country on a whole has a major weight problem and sorry , I have to wonder what comes fiirst, the obsesity or the behavior ? Does their mobilty decreased because their weight goes up or is it their weight goes up because they choose to decrease their moblity( ie rent an EVC when they are able bodied)?

For those of you who flamed me "How can I say that being an RN". Shame on you! How many times do you see people abusing ERs? People with lung disease on SSI and still smoking their brains out for example! What I said was IMHO, sorry if it offended you. I want to live in your world where everyone is honest. I took it personally on this trip from what we experienced Example. FOTL. I told the CM my dad could w/c transfer so we would not take a spot from someone else who could not. What happens? An able bodied family sits right down in h/c seating in front of us. My Mom who is also boiling at me for making my Dad transfer tells them this is HC seating. There responce is "So".

The EVCs. We were there during a lighter crowd time and they were out of them. So if you really, medically needed one you were OOL. Thats the big picture problem. Instead anyone with 30$ can rent one, add to the park congestion, and take it away from someone who may really need it. Strollers may bump you in the ankles from time to time but my 4yo got mowed down by someone backing up and not watching. Another reason why medical necessity would be nice. Then someone would be able to dtermine if they have the cognative skills to drive one.

I will repeat this. My father has to show security at the airport his Medtronics card verifying his electrode implants and can not go thru the metal detector. He can't just give them his "word". The system is flawed, again, IMHO!!

DisOrBust said:
I have to wonder what comes fiirst, the obsesity or the behavior ? Does their mobilty decreased because their weight goes up or is it their weight goes up because they choose to decrease their moblity( ie rent an EVC when they are able bodied)?

What about a third possibility...those slowly became obese due to impaired mobility caused by their disabilities?

Beth

I think it is very sad that we are even aruging about who should have the right to a wheelchair or not. Most people (most) would not go around shelling out money for a wheelchair if they did not really need one. And if you perceive that it inconveniences you in any way, too bad. How much does it impact your life, having to wait a few seconds for someone in a wheelchair to get thru a line? Or get into a special ride vehical?

And as far as Disney running out of wheelchairs, well they do have a limited nuimber. Just like strollers. And if I went to the parks and knew that I had to have a wheelchair, I would rent one to make sure I had it. Before I got to the parks. And if you want people to show some sort of proof that they need them, what do you want? A note? And how would you be able to prove that your note was valid? Do you expect Disney to know every doctor's handwriting? Or should you have to request a form by mail and have your MD fill it out? Then wouldn't people be copying them and selling them on EbaY?

Sometimes the lack of compassion on this board sickens me.

Oh Maxiesmom, I think there is a lot of compassion on this board but our society in general is not very compassionate. Especially toward overweight people. A person could have multiple obvious handicaps but if they were overweight, that would be the issue most people in our society would focus on.

I gave up trying to fit other people standards a long time ago. I will never get there so why bother? Sorry, just how I feel.

I was the first to jump on the OP's statement and that she is a fellow nurse. I agree there is abuse of the healthcare system but again, if I go into the waiting room at a hospital, how can I know what the story is for each of those people and whether they really need to be there? As a former advice nurse, triaging people on the phone is difficult and we always sent them in unless very certain of the situation and that it could be handled by them at home. A lot of doc's don't have answering services or on call staff so they have recordings that instruct patients to go to ED. Even in Cleveland where we have some really big and good health care facilities, there are still private doctors who won't offer their patients after hours assistance of any kind. So, I guess I am against assuming anything about another person and their situation. I don't mean that as an attack but as an explaination of my beliefs.

We have a society which is spoon fed photos of thin "beautiful" people. We are told we should expect to have the very best and the most of everything from cars and homes to yearly WDW vacations. Is that the reality for the majority of us? No. Most of us have less than beautiful bodies. Most of us are lucky to have a 4 yr old car and a 7 yr old car that run well and are paid for. Most of us are lucky to get a few days at WDW every two or three years. Most of us are greatful for what we have and recognize that it is the substance of our lives that matters, not the illusion. Most of us are happy to be focused on our own family and what is going on in the here and now.

All I would like for myself is to continue to be able to practice tolerance of others and to get it from others in return. I am as valuable a person as you are, maybe just not as beautiful or rich.

*no statements are directed at the OP or any other poster except the first sentence.

If they did require some kind of MD documentation to rent an ECV or wheelchair, that would mean someone who got injured while on vacation and needed one after the injury would be out of luck. Also, someone who had an existing disability would not have a doctor's note if they didn't realize they needed an ECV or wheelchair until after being there a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter