Plow damage to car while at Aamco - need claim people advice

Well, THAT would be yet another minefield since my Travel Agent does not sell Travel Insurance anymore and has big signs saying that they officially have no recommendation on whether it should be purchased.
Apparently they got tied up in a lawsuit as a co-defendant with a Travel Insurance company whose policy they sold to a client and it cost them a lot of money.

You can buy insurance on your own. I never buy insurance through my travel agency or cruise line. I can find cheaper insurance with better coverage on my own.

Yes, I can help. I'm in auto claims. Yes, you absolutely have a right to fix the car where ever you choose. I'm suspecting the plow guy is trying to handle it out of pocket. Insist they report it to their auto carrier. Yes, they should pay for a rental. Hidden damage should be found by the shop of your choice, if they are worth their salt, they'll find it.

Should she call her carrier as well? Well, that depends. If she has collision coverage, she can. They would then pay for damage (less her deductible) and pursue the plow company insurance for reimbursement. However, if she has liability insurance only, then no, she really doesn't need to report it. Given its age, I'd be concerned with it being a total loss. In that case, you can buy the salvage back, but be sure to look into whatever process you'll need to follow to get a salvage title for the car...it varies a lot state by state.

Also, you could ask Aamco to file a claim against their insurance called "Garagekeepers". The car would be covered there too.

Yes, the policy language says all claims should be reported. But honestly, if your car is hit while parked and unoccupied, and you have NO collision coverage then there really is no reason to report that. And as far as paying them to handle any incidents that are not your fault...well, sort of. For example, yes, if someone makes a claim against your policy and you aren't at fault, they will protect you. Or if you are at fault, of course their job is to indemnify you. However, if you are sitting at a stop light and are rear ended, but have no collision coverage on your car, they will not go after the other parties insurance for you. They could do you a favor and file the claim with the other carrier to help you get started, but from there, they won't do anything. In this case, if OP doesn't have collision coverage, which I suspect they may not, then her insurance will not do anything to pursue the plow guy...they can't, they have no legal standing to do so.

^This exactly.

Last edited:
File with your insurance. they have ways to collect. You may have to pay the deductible but will get it back when they settle

OP here. We opted to not file the claim with DD's insurance company because the book value of the car made it likely that it would have been totaled. The plow owner wanted to pay for the damages, either out of pocket or through their insurance company. I got an email from them admitting what happened and that they were liable for the damages and so I was less concerned about them backing out of paying. The body shop they asked us to use is not the one we've used in the past but it has been in town for decades and has a good reputation and we decided to use them to minimize any drama. Found out the plow guy does the lawn service for the guy who owns the body shop. In the end, car has now been fixed and all's well. Thanks everyone for your feedback and recommendations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter