Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

With a release coming on Thursday...Here is my usual Historical Southwest Release Dates (for planning purposes) comment:

• NEXT RELEASE: 11/15/18 - travel through August 5th, 2019
  • 9/27/18 - travel through June 8th, 2019
  • 8/30/18 - travel through April 7th, 2019
  • 6/28/18 - travel through March 6th, 2019
  • 5/31/18 - travel through January 6th, 2019
  • 3/8/18 - travel through November 3rd, 2018
  • 2/15/18 - travel through October 1st, 2018
  • 11/2/17 - travel through August 6th, 2018
  • 8/28/17 - travel through June 1st, 2018
  • 7/27/17 - travel through April 6th, 2018
  • 6/22/17 - travel through March 7th, 2018
  • 5/18/17 - travel through January 7th, 2018
This could be useful to approximate when your travel time may become available for upcoming releases, however they don't always follow the exact same pattern (as you can see above). We should know the next release date Thursday - unfortunately if they follow last year’s pattern that next release may not occur for 3 months.

Any idea what time tomorrow the new block of flights open for booking?

Any idea what time tomorrow the new block of flights open for booking?

There's no hard time. They could be available 6 AM, sometimes I've seen it pushed out to as late as 8:30 or so. I've also observed that it isn't always an "all at once". It must take some time for everything to get loaded. I don't know if I'd set an alarm for this, but check as soon as you can and keep looking throughout the day (and even the next) as mini price wars may break out with their competition.

I am constantly checking flight prices as we haven't booked yet for our May trip, but I'm wondering if SW ever has particularly good deals that post around Black Friday/Thanksgiving week? Just curious if anyone has noticed a pattern.

I've been watching for May also and haven't pulled the trigger because I haven't been happy with these prices. $340 RT from BDL :scared1:

I fully expect to pay that in April, but why is May now so expensive??

I've been watching for May also and haven't pulled the trigger because I haven't been happy with these prices. $340 RT from BDL :scared1:

It seems more and more schools are starting their summer break in May. At least, that's what I observe from Canada. Our kids go to school until June 27th! If you are looking late May, could it be because summer pricing is in effect?

It seems more and more schools are starting their summer break in May. At least, that's what I observe from Canada. Our kids go to school until June 27th! If you are looking late May, could it be because summer pricing is in effect?

I was looking for May 3-6th. I would think I'd be safe from Spring Break crowds and most out-of-school crowds :confused3

I was looking for May 3-6th. I would think I'd be safe from Spring Break crowds and most out-of-school crowds :confused3

Are you talking BDL to MCO? For one ticket I'm seeing the cheapest is $240 RT :confused3

For us, the cheapest summer fares have been available between Christmas and MLK day, more or less. I don’t know if it’s just my route (dc-mco), my particular-but not the usual- experience, or a general trend.

Jet blue release for the July is insanely high. If SW doesn’t have anything good, I’ll just wait. At least I’ll accrue more credit card points to help pay for the higher fare.

I saw that, but those flights get me in late on the 3rd and leaving early on the 6th. I want the opposite.
I figured. Your question was why are flights so expensive during that time period. Well the truth is you can save $100 it's just the flights aren't at the time you want. I certaintly understand wanting to get in early though because I would too :)

So the question becomes less about "what's so special about May 3rd-May 6th" in your case and more about this flight time over that flight time is $X amount and the truth is supply and demand and particular markets impact that part a lot. I understand for sure not wanting to pay that much though!

There's no hard time. They could be available 6 AM, sometimes I've seen it pushed out to as late as 8:30 or so. I've also observed that it isn't always an "all at once". It must take some time for everything to get loaded. I don't know if I'd set an alarm for this, but check as soon as you can and keep looking throughout the day (and even the next) as mini price wars may break out with their competition.
Ah, gotcha! I've booked flights with SW on previous occasions, but for some reason I'm anxious about it this time. I'm just praying that I have enough points! *fingers crossed
Thanks for the info!

Ah, gotcha! I've booked flights with SW on previous occasions, but for some reason I'm anxious about it this time. I'm just praying that I have enough points! *fingers crossed
Thanks for the info!
I’ll be on line early tomorrow mornig with you. Hoping for good prices at the times i want.

New Southwest booking window is now open. It went live shortly after 6:00 AM, ET.

We are currently accepting air reservations through August 5, 2019. On February 7, 2019 we will open our schedule for sale through September 2, 2019. This date is subject to change!

Anyone get good rates?

Mine were not only higher than I wanted, they shifted the times to something we can't make.
Somewhat similar experience, as schedules greatly changed, with more off-peak departures - very early or very late on most nonstops. I booked a roundtrip with points, knowing that I can always change.

The fare for a connecting flight was reasonable, while the fare on a prime time nonstop was much higher. I know that fares will probably rise and fall between now and next summer, but there won't be any additional flights added, so I booked now.

With today's Southwest release complete...Here is my usual Historical Southwest Release Dates (for planning purposes) comment:

FYI - this next release is a loooong way away BUT that is typical for this time of year.
  • NEXT RELEASE: 2/7/19 - travel through September 2nd, 2019
  • 11/15/18 - travel through August 5th, 2019
  • 9/27/18 - travel through June 8th, 2019
  • 8/30/18 - travel through April 7th, 2019
  • 6/28/18 - travel through March 6th, 2019
  • 5/31/18 - travel through January 6th, 2019
  • 3/8/18 - travel through November 3rd, 2018
  • 2/15/18 - travel through October 1st, 2018
  • 11/2/17 - travel through August 6th, 2018
  • 8/28/17 - travel through June 1st, 2018
  • 7/27/17 - travel through April 6th, 2018
  • 6/22/17 - travel through March 7th, 2018
  • 5/18/17 - travel through January 7th, 2018
This could be useful to approximate when your travel time may become available for upcoming releases, however they don't always follow the exact same pattern (as you can see above). We should know the next release date Thursday - unfortunately if they follow last year’s pattern that next release may not occur for 3 months.

I just checked the next release date. It will be Feb 7, 2019 but I'm surprised it will only be for 4 additional weeks of flights. Not sure I understand that one!

We are currently accepting air reservations through August 5, 2019. On February 7, 2019 we will open our schedule for sale through September 2, 2019.

I am looking to book flights for our Sep 7, 2019 trip and was anticipating a Feb/March release date. Now not too sure when they'll be released. Oh well, more time to save!

Anyone get good rates?

Mine were not only higher than I wanted, they shifted the times to something we can't make.
Aw, that stinks, I'm sorry.

I lucked out. I was checking prior to 6am this morning. Nothing was showing unless I did the best fare calendar and then I could see all of June. I was anxious and booked right away, though I wasn't happy with the departure time (too early) and had just enough points to cover the flights. About 30 minutes later I logged in and they had the flights fully released and I saw exactly the time I wanted for departure at about 10,000 less points overall for the three of us, so I changed my flight and got exactly what I wanted: non-stop from RDU to MCO on 6/22 at 6:15pm and our return is non-stop from MCO on 6/27 at 5:45pm. Really couldn't have asked for any better, and points were about 6,000 for departure flight and 7,000 for return flight. Went ahead and got EBCI for us, so hopefully we'll have great boarding positions too. Only glitch was my info was auto-filled on SW's site and had just my middle initial instead of my full middle name. I messaged SW vita Twitter and had that fixed in about 15 minutes. All good to go now! Whew! Now to just save up for food and souvenirs! Yay!

Good luck to everyone booking flights!

Anyone get good rates?

Got ok rates. I was only able to book our flight to Orlando for August 2. Have to wait until February for the return flight. I think the rates will drop so I will be checking frequently. I booked on points so it is not problem.

I just checked the next release date. It will be Feb 7, 2019 but I'm surprised it will only be for 4 additional weeks of flights. Not sure I understand that one!

I am looking to book flights for our Sep 7, 2019 trip and was anticipating a Feb/March release date. Now not too sure when they'll be released. Oh well, more time to save!
This is one I'd keep an eye on. Given that it's 3 months away, this one is asking for a "change". They could move the release date up or back, and they could add to the release time frame and go out through the rest of Sept. Last year the Feb release went through Oct 1.

This is one I'd keep an eye on. Given that it's 3 months away, this one is asking for a "change". They could move the release date up or back, and they could add to the release time frame and go out through the rest of Sept. Last year the Feb release went through Oct 1.
I was thinking the same thing. We've been going to Disney in September for a number of years now and as far as I cam remember our dates were always included in the next release date. Will be watching it carefully as I would not be surprised at all that it's a typo and possibly next release should go through to Oct 7? Time will tell....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter