Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

My June 11 flight just switched to sold out (and that same flight is sold out that entire week). Looks like they are getting ready to move things again.

They have not changed my flight yet, it’s just not being sold anymore. FWIW, it’s a late night, nonstop on a 737-700.

Got word today that our direct Southwest flight on April 26 had been cancelled and we were rescheduled on a flight that arrived the following day. Called the special number provided and was able to reschedule it to the day before our original flight, but they made no promise it would not be cancelled too. Ugh.
That's what I get for quickly reading the email I received from Southwest while half-asleep. I never noticed that there was dedicated phone number to call. :rolleyes:

I've noticed a couple newer updates on SW's page here: https://www.southwest.com/html/air/737-MAX-8.html?clk=737MAX8_190408
I bolded a couple pertinent statements in the paragraphs below from that link:

All Boeing MAX 8 aircraft have been removed from our schedule through June 7, 2019. Our adjusted schedule is already in effect on Southwest.com. Customers who have been impacted by this amended schedule are being proactively notified to adjust their travel plans. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Also this from the FAQ:
Our goal is to operate our planned schedule with as few cancellations and as minimal an impact to our Customers as possible. To support our Customers, our Teams have worked diligently to increase reliability and reduce the amount of last-minute flight changes caused by the MAX 8 grounding.

Currently, we have amended our flight schedule through June 7, 2019, to incorporate flight changes that will occur as a result of our 34 MAX 8 aircraft being taken out of service. We are taking steps to proactively notify Customers affected by these changes.

Please know that there are still other factors to consider when traveling that have potential to impact a scheduled flight on any given day. These factors include but are not limited to, weather, unscheduled maintenance, operational delays, etc. As your flight date approaches, you can track the status of your flight using our Flight Status Tool on Southwest.com.

I've noticed a couple newer updates on SW's page here: https://www.southwest.com/html/air/737-MAX-8.html?clk=737MAX8_190408
I bolded a couple pertinent statements in the paragraphs below from that link:

All Boeing MAX 8 aircraft have been removed from our schedule through June 7, 2019. Our adjusted schedule is already in effect on Southwest.com. Customers who have been impacted by this amended schedule are being proactively notified to adjust their travel plans. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Also this from the FAQ:
Our goal is to operate our planned schedule with as few cancellations and as minimal an impact to our Customers as possible. To support our Customers, our Teams have worked diligently to increase reliability and reduce the amount of last-minute flight changes caused by the MAX 8 grounding.

Currently, we have amended our flight schedule through June 7, 2019, to incorporate flight changes that will occur as a result of our 34 MAX 8 aircraft being taken out of service. We are taking steps to proactively notify Customers affected by these changes.

Please know that there are still other factors to consider when traveling that have potential to impact a scheduled flight on any given day. These factors include but are not limited to, weather, unscheduled maintenance, operational delays, etc. As your flight date approaches, you can track the status of your flight using our Flight Status Tool on Southwest.com.

I was obviously just reading this too, lol. My flight to MCO is 6/4. There are no sold out flights that day, or the days surrounding it (until 6/7 and beyond). So I’m going to ASSume that flight is safe.

I just hope they cancel that 6/11 flight in the next week while there are still plenty of flights and times available. I am fortunate with MDW as my destination since there are 20+ flights daily there. Plus, the earlier they move us, the safer my EBCI number is.

IMPORTANT Update From Southwest President Tom Nealon released today at 4:15pm
https://www.southwestaircommunity.c...n-An-Update-from-Our-President-Tom/ba-p/89805

2 Key Excerpts:
  • ...we’ve now modified our schedule through August 5, 2019 to add further stability for Customers booking their summer travel...
  • ...Customers...affected by this amended schedule, are being proactively notified so that we can reaccommodate their flight plans well in advance of their travel date...
I'd recommend logging in to check if your flights are still there AND checking to see if your flight still shows up for sale. That's just my opinion though as I'm not entirely sure how you'd figure out if you have an issue until they "proactively" notify you.

Hopefully this ends the constant and unfortunate drama of "will my flight be affected roulette". I believe based on the way this press release is worded, these changes are already completed now.

Last edited:
Per my DM with them, the next round of cancelations will be 4/14 and 4/23

So we wait to see if our sold out flights are indeed canceled...

Well shoot, again not that I blame them, but it does suck to have to deal with the concern for even longer and they just announced I thought through June something.

Well shoot, again not that I blame them, but it does suck to have to deal with the concern for even longer and they just announced I thought through June something.
FYI: I read this announcement to say that all modifications are done now. So if your flights thru Aug 5th are still intact you can (maybe, likely?) assume you are safe now.

FYI: I read this announcement to say that all modifications are done now. So if your flights thru Aug 5th are still intact you can (maybe, likely?) assume you are safe now.
I was told that notice could still be received regarding a change to my itineraries, and that I should keep checking, myself. It looks like they are trying to cover their tail. :)

I was told that notice could still be received regarding a change to my itineraries, and that I should keep checking, myself. It looks like they are trying to cover their tail. :)

Right, but isn't that just because they can never guarantee ANY flight with 100% certainty? I mean, it's true that we should always be checking our flights because you never know when weather or mechanical issues could lead to last-minute delays or cancellations. It does seem like the Max 8 issue has been settled through June 7 and is currently being settled through August 5. I guess time will tell, but I'm already feeling a lot better about our flights in May.

Right, but isn't that just because they can never guarantee ANY flight with 100% certainty? I mean, it's true that we should always be checking our flights because you never know when weather or mechanical issues could lead to last-minute delays or cancellations. It does seem like the Max 8 issue has been settled through June 7 and is currently being settled through August 5. I guess time will tell, but I'm already feeling a lot better about our flights in May.

I agree that things appear to be more secure, with the latest announcement. When I contacted them, I mentioned that I understood about routine cancellations, but was wondering about the continued cancellations, due to the MAX 8 issues.

This was the reply from @SouthwestAir:

As mentioned in the correspondence we sent earlier today, we're hopeful that the impact will be minimal, but if there are any changes to your flights, we'll notify you via the contact method you selected during booking. In the meantime, you can also routinely check your itinerary and it's status leading up to your departure date.

I think that their Twitter team can use some spelling lessons.

I have not received an email saying ours is cancelled but nothing shows up under our account anymore. It shows on the app though and the flight still looks bookable as business class. We fly out April 29 and back May 2nd.

I have not received an email saying ours is cancelled but nothing shows up under our account anymore. It shows on the app though and the flight still looks bookable as business class. We fly out April 29 and back May 2nd.
I’m guessing you’ve done this but I would take a screen shot of what you’re seeing on the app if nothing is showing up online. Hopefully today is better and you can see your confirmation both online and on the app. If it’s not displaying in one location I would call if it were me just to ensure tge SW agent can see your confirmed flights linked to you.

Thanks everyone! I've been following diligently. Flights on 7/15-7/19 and 8/8-8/12. Just checked the July ones. My non-stop on the 19th is still available but 6 out of 10 MCO to ALB (all connections in BWI) are marked as sold out now! Definitely weren't 3 days ago. The irony is that I booked this flight using vouchers from the mechanic debacle in Feb/March... which was originally booked with vouchers from a July flight that was inexplicably cancelled... feeling like those vouchers are cursed!

Not to disregard what anyone is saying, but the agent told me point blank that they have only notified people with flights 6/7 or before. If yours is between 6/8 and 8/5, they will begin making visible changes on 4/14 & 4/23 and notifying people then.

I inquired about my now sold out flight on 6/11. That flight is sold out from 6/10 to 8/5. It is a 700 plane. She said that it is a flight that they will be switching people to (although I’m not really sure I believe her, lol).

My point is, don’t assume your flight is safe if it’s after 6/7 and you haven’t heard yet.

I’m guessing you’ve done this but I would take a screen shot of what you’re seeing on the app if nothing is showing up online. Hopefully today is better and you can see your confirmation both online and on the app. If it’s not displaying in one location I would call if it were me just to ensure tge SW agent can see your confirmed flights linked to you.
On the phone now and I can finally see my reservations online.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter