• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Has anyone cancelled a flight that is scheduled for after September 7, 2020? We moved our July flight to November (originally booking in Dec 2019 so the the expiration date is Dec 2020). Now of course we are worried that we won't be able to go again in November and it most likely will be a decision not made until the fall. I'm trying to think of ways salvage the flight funds as much as possible. Of course if Southwest extends their travel funds expiration dates. then I have no worries but obviously don't know that yet. I'm thinking of cancelling the flight now, taking the funds and the re-booking using points for 1 way and using
funds from cancelled April flight- so at least I will be out less money/funds. Flights haven't changed much from original booking so no huge fare increase. Looking for some reassurance that this would work or I'm just babbling!!! Also another question- since my November flight expires Dec 2020- I assume I can't move it to Feb 2021 (or does just travel funds expire in Dec 2020). Thanks for any info anyone has in my long winded post!!!
From Southwest:

However, in recognition of the current travel environment, we are extending the expiration date of some travel funds:
  • Customers’ funds that have expired or will expire between March 1, 2020 and September 7, 2020, will now expire September 7, 2022.
  • Any travel funds created because you cancel a flight between March 1 – September 7, 2020, will expire September 7, 2022.
It can take up to five business days for the new expiration date to appear in your account. It will also take our Technology Team a few days to make these changes.

It’s important to note, while these unused travel funds will be available until September 7, 2022, once the funds are used to make a purchase, the expiration date of the travel funds will then follow our normal ticketing rules and will expire 12 months from the date of purchase.

For example:

• Your original unused travel funds with confirmation number OLD111 expired on March 19, 2020.
  • These unused travel funds were extended to an expiration date of September 7, 2022.
  • You use some of those funds on August 1, 2020 to book new travel in September under confirmation number NEW111.
  • If for some reason you need to cancel this new flight, your unused travel funds associated with confirmation number NEW111 will be valid for 12 months from the booking date which means they will expire August 1, 2021.
  • Any remaining unused travel funds tied to OLD111 will be available through September 7, 2022.
We have also added a new benefit for our valued Rapid Rewards Members. Those Members who have travel funds that are set to expire or funds that are created between March 1, 2020 and September 7, 2020 will have the option to convert those travel funds into Rapid Rewards points at the same rate you would be able to purchase a ticket with points today. We hope this provides our Members ultimate flexibility as Rapid Rewards points never expire, never have cancel or change fees (fare difference may apply), and you can redeem your points for anyone you choose.

Our Technology Team is working to build this conversion capability, and we will be in touch when it is ready for you to use. In the meantime, you don’t need to take any action—your travel funds will be automatically extended for the two years mentioned above, and you will be able to make this conversion once we bring this new functionality to fruition.

Just seeking clarification please.

Do I need to cancel my flight by Sep 7, 2020 for it to obtain the Sep 7, 2022 date or, does the flight need to have been scheduled to fly by Sep 7, 2020 to get that date?

My particular details are my flights are scheduled for Sep 12 and Sep 21, 2020. If I cancel them by Sep 7 will they receive the Sep 7, 2022 date or, 1 year from the date I purchased as the actual flights were scheduled to take place after Sep 7?

You must cancel before Sept. 7. The date of the flight is immaterial. It is the date you cancel (before 9/7) that counts for the extended expiration date.

Just seeking clarification please.

Do I need to cancel my flight by Sep 7, 2020 for it to obtain the Sep 7, 2022 date or, does the flight need to have been scheduled to fly by Sep 7, 2020 to get that date?

My particular details are my flights are scheduled for Sep 12 and Sep 21, 2020. If I cancel them by Sep 7 will they receive the Sep 7, 2022 date or, 1 year from the date I purchased as the actual flights were scheduled to take place after Sep 7?
Confirmed with Southwest this morning that as along as any flight is cancelled before Sept 7, it will get the 2022 travel funds.

You must cancel before Sept. 7. The date of the flight is immaterial. It is the date you cancel (before 9/7) that counts for the extended expiration date.
Confirmed with Southwest this morning that as along as any flight is cancelled before Sept 7, it will get the 2022 travel funds.
Thank you!! I'm 99% sure we're cancelling these flights and if we go by (rare) chance we will be flying out of Toronto due to the current mandatory quarantine of those arriving from NY.

I'll be sure to keep this in mind and cancel before Sep 7th.

How long does it take for the travel voucher expiration date to change to two years? I cancelled a flight this week , set for September 10 and 20.

October 2020 reservations are now eligible to change to another flight/date within a 30 day window, either way, at no additional cost In fare. This type of offer usually is valid for about three days, from the time it first becomes available. So, if you are seriously thinking of taking advantage of the offer, be aware of the short period of time to do so.

if your flight qualifies, your confirmed reservation will display a banner with the offer.

Just had my Sep 21 direct flight home cancelled and was moved to one with a stop. Just went in and saw all direct flights from MCO to BUF have been removed from the schedule. :(

same our BDL to MCO nonstop flight was changed to have a layover in Baltimore so I cancelled it and will take the funds in credit. I rebooked on Jetblue and it is NONstop and wicked cheap! Crazy cheap! I used some credits from JB and the total for 2 people from BDL to MCO was a 50.00 Thank you SW!

We just had our direct flight down to Orlando on Sept 21 changed to a one stop through Baltimore. 😔
I booked a direct last night, 2 hours later i got an email about a schedule change.
It was a double-stop flight with no plane change.
I had booked the cheap flight with a departure time earlier than what I wanted.
With the change, I was able to use the free re-book feature to pick the more expensive flight that I would have preferred at no charge!
Check and see if there is anything else you would rather have. As long as the origin and destination cities stay the same you can even change days for a free re-book.

EDIT: IMO SW is awesome to allow so much flexibility. Frontier shoves schedule changes down your throat, and if you don't like it, you option is to just not show up for the flight (or take a voucher in some cases if they are feeling generous).

same our BDL to MCO nonstop flight was changed to have a layover in Baltimore so I cancelled it and will take the funds in credit. I rebooked on Jetblue and it is NONstop and wicked cheap! Crazy cheap! I used some credits from JB and the total for 2 people from BDL to MCO was a 50.00 Thank you SW!
That's awesome!
Not to be a downer, but keep your eyes peeled in case you don't get an email. JB has changed my flights twice in the last two weeks - by 24 hours on each end of the trip both times. The first one I didn't get an email right away, but did get the one yesterday.

Yesterday we had to move our trip by 3 days on either end because they are only now offering direct flights on certain days from DC and I wasn't about to take a FLL connection on the days we were scheduled. Now I need to figure out a resort. We moved our flights yesterday based on our WDW resort (price protected) stay but now cannot get UO hotel at the remotely same price we had....so back to the drawing board! :)

(We locked in with JB at an awesome $29 each way a month ago and now that same leg is $161 pp each way x 4 people. Not ready to give that up LOL)

That's awesome!
Not to be a downer, but keep your eyes peeled in case you don't get an email. JB has changed my flights twice in the last two weeks - by 24 hours on each end of the trip both times. The first one I didn't get an email right away, but did get the one yesterday.

Yesterday we had to move our trip by 3 days on either end because they are only now offering direct flights on certain days from DC and I wasn't about to take a FLL connection on the days we were scheduled. Now I need to figure out a resort. We moved our flights yesterday based on our WDW resort (price protected) stay but now cannot get UO hotel at the remotely same price we had....so back to the drawing board! :)

(We locked in with JB at an awesome $29 each way a month ago and now that same leg is $161 pp each way x 4 people. Not ready to give that up LOL)
will keep watch for sure! our dates are sept 24 coming back the 30th. our return flight was already booked with JB and that flight so far hasnt had any changes since we booked it fingers crossed!!

Leaving from PHL soon. Are all airports for SW the same as my previous post about MCO for checked baggage....

Just scan your boarding passes at the kiosk.... it prints tags.... put those tags on the bags... give to the nearby SW agent, right?

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips everyone. I looked and was able to move our flight from Buffalo to Orlando to a later flight at no cost. This also saves us staying at a hotel the night before. Our trip was going to be a park + water park trip and since the water parks are closed, there is no need for us to arrive in the wee hours our first day since I haven't booked a park that day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter