Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I had to change a flight, resulting in a travel credit. If I don’t think I will use it for another flight before it expires, can I use it at the airport/ gate to upgrade boarding position?

I had to change a flight, resulting in a travel credit. If I don’t think I will use it for another flight before it expires, can I use it at the airport/ gate to upgrade boarding position?
No, but you could see how much it would cost to upgrade your ticket to Business Select.

SWA changed our 5:30pm departure to a 12:15pm departure, connecting through BWI instead of MDW. I did not want to take DD16 out of school that day, but since I now had no choice, I decided today to go all in...I moved us to the 6:25am flight that connects through MDW. Now, instead of arriving at 6pm and staying at the MCO Hyatt, we will arrive at 11:10am...and I was able to buy 11 one-time-use DVC points and got us a studio at OKW! It was actually $60 cheaper than the Hyatt would have been! Now, I just have to keep my fingers crossed that SWA doesn't mess with this flight. My friend is coming with us, but she is flying on Delta. She had a flight that was scheduled to arrive at 10:45pm, but she was able to change hers too and now she is scheduled to arrive at 11:22am. She is flying out on a flight that departs around 5:30am which is also the first flight of the day. Hopefully, it doesn't get cancelled.

I'm used to booking one way flights with points and it was super easy to change them when point values got lower. We are looking at booking round trip this time on opening day. It will just be easier with work. Will it be a pain to change either leg if point values go down?

I'm used to booking one way flights with points and it was super easy to change them when point values got lower. We are looking at booking round trip this time on opening day. It will just be easier with work. Will it be a pain to change either leg if point values go down?
When you open your reservation to change, there s/b the option to select the flight(s) you want to change. You can select one or both, each time you want to modify. I believe that if you want to cancel one way, however, you may need assistance from Southwest, but I’m not sure; they have been making changes, lately, in the booking engine.

Just modifying/changing legs on a round trip is super easy, as noted above. You just choose Change Reservation and during that process, you get to pick which leg(s) you want to change.

I am going to be booking my tickets for our (rescheduled) April 2022 trip this Thursday. The tickets window that is opening only goes through April 24 and our trip is April 23-April 30. I presume I will just purchase one-way tickets and then wait until the next window opens to purchase our return tickets? Anyone have experience with this?

Last edited:
I am going to be booking my tickets for our (rescheduled) April 2022 trip this Thursday. The tickets window that is opening only goes through April 24 and our trip is April 23-April 30. I presume I will just purchase one-way tickets and then wait until the next window opens to purchase our return tickets? Anyone have experience with this?
I had to do that for our trip this past April and yes, I just bought the one direction that I could and waited for the next schedule drop to book the return flight.

I have a feeling the rates are going to open at high prices first thing in morning and then gradually drop like what happened last time...which is fine if you’re booking with points but not so great if you’re paying and then you just have to sit with a credit for a year!

I have a feeling the rates are going to open at high prices first thing in morning and then gradually drop like what happened last time...which is fine if you’re booking with points but not so great if you’re paying and then you just have to sit with a credit for a year!
That's a good point. The credits I'm booking with are from our cancelled April 2020 trip. I have to use the credits by Sept 2022. It will be spring break where I live so I am concerned about the "good" flights getting sold out from our somewhat small regional airport.
If I was able to get the tickets at a lower price down the road - the travel credits I would earn would also expire in 9/22, correct? Because I'm not paying cash for them?

I found that the flights I booked for November were crazy low - like my round trip, non stop flight was 9,500 points - and now its almost 30k points for the same flight..

and as I was booking it that morning, while I was in the process, I had a notice that my flight points had increased in just that minute it was taking to book it so it would have been even cheaper than the 9,500 I spent!

It was crazy that morning - but I'll take higher points and just work at getting them back!

Yes, I've had to do this a couple times. It's no big deal. If I'm using cash and not points, it's nice to spread the expensive out over a few months.

Here's your friendly reminder that Southwest Airlines next schedule release is expected to occur on THURSDAY September 16th. (NEXT WEEK!!). For those planning to snag flights, set those calendar reminders so you don't forget! I'll post additional reminders as the date draws nearer.
  • Currently SW is offering flights through 1/5/22 and this next release will take their schedule out to 4/24/22. This will likely be a popular extension covering winter holiday weekends and much of spring break.
For those that care about "release timing" it can vary, but here are the recent "go live" of previous releases:
Release Date - Time (eastern)
6/10/21 - 7:15am
4/1/21 - 9:10am
12/10/20 - 7:15am
8/13/20 - 9:15am
5/28/20 - 9:06am
3/12/20 - 9:40am
12/11/19 - 9:10am
10/30/19 - 7:15am
9/26/19 - 7:30am
8/15/19 - 10:41am
5/30/19 - 9:20am

hoping for low prices at release time!

Looking to book flights for Spring Break trip tomorrow using points and am wondering if there is still any benefit to booking 2 one-way trips vs roundtrip?

Looking to book flights for Spring Break trip tomorrow using points and am wondering if there is still any benefit to booking 2 one-way trips vs roundtrip?

I wonder that also. I know my fingers need to fly if the prices are good. From experience I know I don’t have time to check multiple airports and dates.

I wonder that also. I know my fingers need to fly if the prices are good. From experience I know I don’t have time to check multiple airports and dates.
It's only a personal preference to book one ways rather than round trip. Advantage use to be it was easier to adjust one ways but you still can adjust round trip by selecting the leg you want to change.

It's only a personal preference to book one ways rather than round trip. Advantage use to be it was easier to adjust one ways but you still can adjust round trip by selecting the leg you want to change.
Another advantage to one way is if you have multiple credits to apply you can use I believe up to three "payment types" per transaction so booking separately one way enables six "payment types".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter