PoTC and Haunted Manson, how long is FP queue?

dizneefan13

Earning My Fins
My Mom uses an ECV and HATES anyone fussing over her (as she puts it) or helping her unless she specifically asks. She's in her 80's and is fun, feisty, and set in her ways.
Anyway, she would much rather try and walk the queues in these two rides rather than let one of us push her in a wheelchair. She would use a cane while in line.
So, let's say the FP+ line starts as you enter the building (where people are stopped and waiting in front of you). How much longer would it be? I'm thinking she could walk 5 or 6 minutes and stand for 10 or 12.

This video shows the walk in the Fastpass line, the preshow Stretching Room where you stand for almost 3 minutes and the loading area. The load area includes a moving walkway which moves at the same speed as the doombuggies.
I believe the person doing the film may have cut out a few parts where they were standing still; in our experience, there are usually 2 points where we are just standing. One is before turning the corner and the other is before entering the building. Because of the preshow, guests cone into the building in ‘batches’ equal to the time of the preshow and guests need to stand while waiting for the next batch.

If she uses a wheelchair, after the stretching room, she would be automatically routed to the exit for boarding. The moving walkway can be slowed or stopped there. The CMs may not notice her cane, but you can ask for her to board in that area and they may let her.

My Mom uses an ECV and HATES anyone fussing over her (as she puts it) or helping her unless she specifically asks. She's in her 80's and is fun, feisty, and set in her ways.
Anyway, she would much rather try and walk the queues in these two rides rather than let one of us push her in a wheelchair. She would use a cane while in line.
So, let's say the FP+ line starts as you enter the building (where people are stopped and waiting in front of you). How much longer would it be? I'm thinking she could walk 5 or 6 minutes and stand for 10 or 12.
Any number of things can slow or stop a line if she can not walk for more then 10-15 minutes. I would use a wheelchair she could push it this way she is not relying on you to push it but it will be there if she needs it

I have two bad knees (both need replacing) and on some trips they are worse than other trips. I generally use an ECV to get around in the parks but for those two rides I can generally walk through them when I have a fast pass. Same goes for Buzz Lightyear. YMMV on that...but if she is feeling good and thinks she can then it's probably fine. Sometimes I know my knees are hurting too much and I usually don't bother riding the things I can't go through to the loading with the scooter but I go to Disney fairly often enough that I don't mind skipping it.

One thing I've noticed (more in Pirates than HM) is when there isn't anyone in front of you in the FP line - people generally want to walk fast - like super fast - like what feels like sonic speed to me - haha! I just generally can't walk as fast as the people behind me want to walk so if the line is wide enough I just tell them to go around. It may make the wait time longer when you get to where the line stops - or sometimes it's practically a walk on when you get to the end. The que in Pirates is also dark and I think it might slope a bit - it's not horrible but if she's quite unsteady it's something to consider. I don't have any issues with the HM que in the same way.

The only way to know is to try it and if she finds it too much then the next time perhaps she'll agree to using a WC.

Others have given good suggestions but I’d like to also point out that one individual 10-15 minute stretch is one thing but several throughout the day may add up fast. As someone who truly hates having a fuss made over me, I still suggest not letting that potentially ruin the day by burning out too quickly without using a wheelchair.

SueM, gap2368, Selket, EdnaMarieMode,
Thank you for the great advice and your experiences. I have been on both rides a few times and didn't think the FP lines were too bad, but wanted to double check. The video shows that most of the line/waiting is before the stretching room.
I think she will do okay on this one.
Do you think Pirates will be longer? I know it depends on how many are in line.
Great point about how many lines she stands in per day. Maybe we will only do one of those, or make sure we have enough time between then for her to rest some.
I know some people like to race through the lines as far as they can. We'll deal with that if it happens, I guess.
Thanks again!

Great point about how many lines she stands in per day. Maybe we will only do one of those, or make sure we have enough time between then for her to rest some.
I know some people like to race through the lines as far as they can. We'll deal with that if it happens, I guess.
Thanks again!

Do you mean the wait time or how far to walk for Pirates? lol! The walk seems farther to me - the wait time (time standing) seems less. We tend to ride it later in the day - or when the ride is walk on or the standby line is 30 minutes or less. I find it easier to get a FP for it then (after having used my initial 3 so these are ones I get on the app while in the park).

I think I've actually turned on my phone's flashlight to shine on the floor when walking through the dark parts of that que (no one was around or they were walking fast and I told them to go on around me so I could take my time). The darkness and uncertainty on where I'm stepping is the issue. I find HM or Buzz light year to be the easier que to walk through with a FP even if the wait time is a bit longer. I'm definitely not trying to discourage her from trying it - just something to be aware of!

I am in a similar situation with my Mom. In her 80s and drives an ECV like a champ. At Pirates, i will let her walk with her cane if she wants. Same with Buzz. But, I am firm at Haunted that she will be riding in a wheelchair. I trust her --- I don't trust others. The crush of people entering and then in the stretch room bothers me. She has almost been knocked over and definitely into a few times. If she fell, I cannot get her up, and help would have to be called. It is safer for her to be contained in the wheelchair (and even then there are people knocking into it and her). And it makes me feel better. And this is true for both WDW and DL. Wheelchair all the way to the ride.

Thanks, Selket. I hope she at least will take a chair and push it through. Then she has the option to use it and be wheeled if she needs to. I do remember how dark it is in the PotC queue. Not like that at all in Disneyland but most of that queue is outdoors.
Kpeterso, good point about being pushed and shoved going in and out of the stretching room. All things to consider.
I guess we will take it as it comes and do our best. At least now I have an idea of what to expect. I've been on those rides, but she wasn't with us then so didn't really pay attention to this stuff.
Thanks for your help!

:scared::scared:
Thanks, Selket. I hope she at least will take a chair and push it through. Then she has the option to use it and be wheeled if she needs to. I do remember how dark it is in the PotC queue. Not like that at all in Disneyland but most of that queue is outdoors.
Kpeterso, good point about being pushed and shoved going in and out of the stretching room.

Maybe next time I should take a chair and push it through! I could use it to steady myself. I think if it was more lighted I would be fine but I seem to get off balance trying to walk in that que. If they will let you push a wheelchair through in case she changes her mind and it won't upset her - then it can't hurt! I also agree about the stretching room - if you know where the door is that opens up, then stand on the opposite side. I don't find that que difficult or other guests urgency to get out because it seems you don't go far and the line stops anyway - the walk seems shorter to me. I'm a fairly tall/large person so fortunately I am not easily pushed over so that helps!

I bet once she tries a que or two then she'll get a better idea of whether she's good to walk or would rather ride. I generally am visiting WDW with my son who is an older teenager now and having him push me in a WC is actually the scariest ride I've ever been on in my life - I could sell tickets!:scared::rotfl:

LOL your teenager pushing you and the scariest ride! Too funny!
I'm not going to talk to her about all this until the time comes. She can be a worrier and I don't want to give her something more to worry about. :rolleyes: We will just go to the ride and ask her then how she wants to do the queue.

This is an excellent idea--I think this will need to be what I do since I will be by myself!

SueM, gap2368, Selket, EdnaMarieMode,
Thank you for the great advice and your experiences. I have been on both rides a few times and didn't think the FP lines were too bad, but wanted to double check. The video shows that most of the line/waiting is before the stretching room.
I think she will do okay on this one.
Thanks again!
Scooter users have to leave the scooter outside and use one of the manual chairs they have at the attraction. She can push for stability and sit if wait gets to be too long

Yes Michigan, that is what we will do.

BTW awesome that you snowbird near Disney World. We are working on that ourselves. Hope to be there for a few months in November.

Sometimes I wonder why I don't remember to just use one of their Disney wheelchairs to use like a walker. Using my walking cane just doesn't cut it walking up the hill in the queue and for standing for any link of time.

I need to remember to make a note to my forgetting self to use a Disney wheelchair as a walker if available for this attraction, Pirates of the Caribbean.

Can you think of any attractions at WDW is like this attraction, Pirates of the Caribbean?

So I raised a concern about having to walk to the attraction at HM from the parking area for ECV’s with the CM on duty there since I was alone and had no one to push a wheelchair. She said either they would call a CM to push a single rider OR make arrangements to allow the ECV user to use the exit and leave their ECV outside (like it used to be). As it was, I ended up not riding HM when I had a fastpass (was elsewhere) so don’t have actual experience of these options actually happening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter