PTR-Cheating on Mickey w/Harry!...OMG! Only a month to go!

That is very interesting , never knew there were that many carriages. I would love to go someday. Solvange, I remember the streets. But not much more than that. I hope I am caught up. I am so bad...Great pictures also!

You are caught up here, there are a few updates on the Destination-D report too! This was in the city of Santa Yznez which is quite a sleepy little town.

Not quite the transportation mode I was expecting, but very interesting. We have quite a few of the household items and outdoor stuff around our place.

Well this was not the "main event", but still that will be a surprise!

Those with cows dancing on poles better watch of for this...milker

DSCN8268.jpg

:rotfl2:

WOW! That is some museum. If I ever pass that way again, it's on my must-stop list.

And yes....I recognised the El Camino Real bell. :thumbsup2

WOW! That is some museum. If I ever pass that way again, it's on my must-stop list.

And yes....I recognised the El Camino Real bell. :thumbsup2

I thought that museum was quite cool, but that was not the "main event", that is still coming up, I'm trying to update quickly since this one is easy and much quicker than the Destination-D event, plus it's much closer in my mind!

The "other one" is still to come. This was just a bonus on the trip, it was pretty cool, if we hadn't had the docent to explain all the carriages to us I would have just walked through thinking, cool, but to have his insight into all the different usages and horse requirements.

Oh yeah another thing, the phrase, "pull your weight" came about from horses, they should have been able to pull their weight in a carriage to be able to pull one, that is how that term came about!

I just love seeing stuff like that, what a treat! It always make me think of the people who used them. What kind of people they were and how I'm glad I was born into this century. Very very cool :)

thanks for the lesson on the carriages and yes I saw that milker also, and was concerned for my safety!

I just love seeing stuff like that, what a treat! It always make me think of the people who used them. What kind of people they were and how I'm glad I was born into this century. Very very cool :)

Yeah, kind of makes you wonder about "the good ole" days!

thanks for the lesson on the carriages and yes I saw that milker also, and was concerned for my safety!

:lmao:

already there!

So after our fascinating little trip to the Carriage House, we decided that it was time to take advantage of that “ethnic” meal that we didn’t get for dinner the night before. So we headed back to Solvang in search of lunch.

We ended up at

DSCN8277.jpg

This was a quaint little restaurant that was jam packed with people, and we were there for the Smogasboard!

DSCN8269.jpg

DSCN8270.jpg

DSCN8272.jpg

This was my first plate from the offerings. Ham, Turkey and Danish Cheese (which I enjoyed on some onion cheese bread), pickled cucumber, fruit, salad, potato salad, cole slaw, pickles and carrots. I did skip the pate, pickled herring, curried cauliflower and the pickled beets.

DSCN8273.jpg

This was my second plate. Swedish meatballs, mashed potatoes, rice pilaf and red cabbage.

DSCN8275.jpg

It turns out that we were seated right next to a quartet of guys from the car club so we all took turns taking pictures of each other’s group.

DSCN8276.jpg

Then we decided to mosey down the street and enjoy some baked goods.

DSCN8278.jpg

DSCN8279.jpg

DSCN8280.jpg

DSCN8281.jpg

We settled on some Cheese Danish, Cinnamon pull apart, and coffee cake. But first I had to get me some Aebelskiver. What? :confused3 you ask? Well I would have said the same thing yesterday (well at the time yesterday). In researching where we should eat, I was checking Yelp on my phone. I came across a review, now this takes some explaining. Many of you probably have no idea who Huell Howser is, but in So Cal he is a local PBS Celebrity. He has had several TV shows all of which he goes all around the state and seeks out obscure and wonderful nooks and crannies of the natural beauty, local flavors and colorful folks. We have his shows on the TIVO and he’s a lot of fun. So when I read the review of “Solvang Restaurant” that said, “If Huell Howser tells me I need to get Aebelskiver at Solvang Restaurant, well who am I not to agree?” I thought the same thing, but what are Aebleskiver? So I googled it and turns out that they are dome shaped ‘pancakes’ served with powdered sugar and raspberry jam.

So with our other baked goods secured, we headed to Solvang Restaurant. They had a little walk up counter where you could order them togo.

DSCN8282.jpg

This is how they are made while you can watch.

DSCN8283.jpg

And these are the beautiful little pastries. They are light and fluffy, not too sweet, but the raspberry syrup/jam gave it just the right tangy flavor. This was almost too much, but I persevered and took one for the team by finishing them!

DSCN8284.jpg

Next up, Dinner at the museum.

My mouth is watering right now... Everything looks wonderful but dessert is my favorite today, even though I would have been all over the pickled beets.

Thankfully I was eating lunch while reading this update, I'm so weak when it comes to freshly made baked goods popcorn::

I saw the Red Viking when we were there but we had other plans! But dang it! I missed out on the Aebleskiver! Looks like I have to plan a trip back.

The Aebelskiver sounds delicious! I was beginning to think you ran into Huell Howser.:rotfl2:

My mouth is watering right now... Everything looks wonderful but dessert is my favorite today, even though I would have been all over the pickled beets.

The desserts are awesome there!

Herring :scared: Looks like a fun day, good food, something different. :thumbsup2

I know I like when I can have something different!

Thankfully I was eating lunch while reading this update, I'm so weak when it comes to freshly made baked goods popcorn::

The pastries here are really superb!

I saw the Red Viking when we were there but we had other plans! But dang it! I missed out on the Aebleskiver! Looks like I have to plan a trip back.

::yes:: you need to try the Aebleskiver!

The Aebelskiver sounds delicious! I was beginning to think you ran into Huell Howser.:rotfl2:

I would love to meet him, he's so funny, we love his shows. Last night we were watching a flash back show where he still had brown hair! :rotfl2:

I need to plan my first trip...:rotfl2:

DisMeet you there! :thumbsup2

Sounds like a plan... but when?

Make sure you invite me too! :hyper:

After lunch we headed back to the room. Fran needed a nap, I needed to change her dressing and we had to meet up with the car club at quarter to five to head out for the evening event. It was probably 3PM so we didn't have long to rest. She laid down for a nap and I sat down to DIS for a bit and put up the first update.

A few times I went out to the car and I smelled smoke. I couldn't tell if it was good smoke or a forest fire. After a few trips to the car, I deduced that it was a BBQ smoke. I was jealous of whoever was going to eat that. Soon it was time to change our clothes and take off for the evening. Fran was smart to wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt. She was glad that we stopped at K-Mart and got us both shirts for cool weather. We met up with our group and after a few minutes we took off on foot towards our destination.

It was only a block and a half until we saw, the door to the museum.

DSCN8286.jpg

As soon as we stepped past the gates we were awestruck. Now I purposely didn't tell you folks when I found out the history of this place. It's called the Mendenhall Collection because it isn't one thing. Here were our first glimpses of the place.

DSCN8287.jpg

DSCN8288.jpg

DSCN8289.jpg

DSCN8290.jpg

We entered his bar (which was not opened to us) and he told us the history of the collection and property. His dad owned a service station around the same location as the property back in the 50's.

DSCN8293.jpg

His father's obsession began during this period. Both Mendenhall Sr. & Jr. had the racing bug but mostly Jr. However dad traveled the racing circuit and began collecting back then. Around the mid 70's, he closed the gas station and began to travel the country as a salesman. As his son put it, "My father was the original American picker."

IMG_3896.jpg

DSCN8291.jpg

DSCN8292.jpg

Jack (Mendenhall Sr.) passed away back in 2005, but Mark had already taken over much of the collection. The complex was rather huge and as a Contractor by trade he built much of the complex. As you'll see in the pictures there is quite a large amount of cement in the complex. He had a funny story about that. Evidently before the accident with the Challenger, there were plans to build a launch pad at Vandenberg AFB. Due to the delicate nature of space travel, the cement needed to be at a certain consistency to be usable. Evidently there was a lot of shipments that weren't up to par. The cement truck had to unload somewhere :confused3 so Mark was more than happy to take the government's rejected concrete to fill his slabs.

He told some other stories that were amusing, but rather than take the time here, let's get to the collection and maybe I'll remember some more as we see the artifacts.

Here is that same room later in the evening when I came back to take pictures with no one there. This was a steel record player

DSCN8294.jpg

And this was one of the Juke boxes that was at Pea Soup Anderson’s in the 50’s. It could play all night without repeating a tune. He pointed out that now an iPod can do the same thing.

DSCN8295.jpg

DSCN8297.jpg

I think we talked about this ad on one of the CB Threads, Still pretty sexist when they call you ‘Baby’, even if you have come a long way!

IMG_3934.jpg

IMG_3935.jpg

IMG_3936.jpg

IMG_3937.jpg

IMG_3938.jpg

IMG_3939.jpg

[Continued in next post]

[Continued from Previous post]

Then there was the restroom

IMG_3921.jpg

IMG_3922.jpg

IMG_3923.jpg

IMG_3924.jpg

IMG_3925.jpg

IMG_3926.jpg

IMG_3927.jpg

IMG_3928.jpg

IMG_3929.jpg

IMG_3930.jpg

IMG_3931.jpg

IMG_3932.jpg

IMG_3933-1.jpg

This next room had an assortment of odds and ends. On my way there, I took another look at the staircase leading up to their house and retreat,

DSCN8301.jpg

DSCN8299.jpg

DSCN8302.jpg

DSCN8303.jpg

DSCN8304.jpg

DSCN8305.jpg

DSCN8306.jpg

Thus was his little mini racer that Mark had as a kid.

DSCN8307.jpg

For the afterlife

DSCN8308.jpg

So I’m not sure if this toilet was hooked up or even worked, but it was quite amusing

DSCN8309.jpg

DSCN8310.jpg

[Continued in Next post]

[Continued from Previous Post]

They had a wine cellar, but it didnt actually have any wine&.

DSCN8311-1.jpg

DSCN8312-1.jpg

DSCN8313-1.jpg

DSCN8314-1.jpg

Then there were the garages across the way

DSCN8319.jpg

DSCN8320.jpg

DSCN8321.jpg

DSCN8322.jpg

DSCN8323.jpg

DSCN8325.jpg

DSCN8328.jpg

So after I went through a couple garages I noticed that people were going upstairs into the couples house. I didnt take any pictures of the house but I did take some on their patio. The house is upstairs here.

DSCN8329.jpg

This is on their patio.

DSCN8330.jpg

I finally got to the bottom of the smoke smell

DSCN8331.jpg

Our dining room

DSCN8333.jpg

DSCN8334.jpg

DSCN8335.jpg

I went through a few other garages and the cars started appearing&.

His Mustang

DSCN8336.jpg

DSCN8366.jpg

DSCN8367.jpg

DSCN8366-1.jpg

DSCN8367-1.jpg

[Continued in Next Post]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter