Pulling 7 year old out of school. What do you do?

Really? I'm not trying to be offensive but do you really not understand why 'everyone' sees it that way? I mean, the fact that so many people so seem to see it that way should maybe be a clue. That is in fact how it comes across.

Nope, not to make themselves 'feel better'. There is a big difference between feeling the child is not missing 'anything' and not missing anything that really matters in the grand scheme of things (or that can't simply be made up). It's really a matter of a difference of opinion I think. If you think a unit on Mozart for a 1st grader is so significant that it should not/cannot be missed, so be it. Me? If you really want to know:), I kind of think a unit on Mozart for a first grader is a total waste of time. See. Just a difference in opinion:)
I never said a unit on Mozart was earth shattering and could not be missed. Once agin you are twisting my words to suit your argument. I never said anything could not be missed, just that what is missed is no less important for having missed it. Mozart happened to be something the interested my DD. Every time she goes to music she comes home talking about it. If she is that interested, then I don't feel it's a total waste. WOuld youy feel it was a total waste if your child was excited aobut learing it? I think it great that it has captured her iterest. Why do you need to persist in rediculing every example I have given?? What is the point other than to be mean? I get that you don't agree. Totally. There is no need to be so ugly about it.

for the record, ivy league schools don't give scholarships (i transferred between ivies and one of my siblings also goes to one, so i am VERY familiar with the financial aspects of attending one). as for perfect or near-perfect SAT/ACT scores, i'm also going to be cynical because there are only a few hundred, if that, students who score above a certain score on either of those tests. i was one of only a handful to score a 2380 the year i took mine, so i doubt that there was more than one student from your district/school who scored that well. for you to say that there were multiple students like this would mean that those very few students must have all come from your school, which is not true. next, ivies love southern students because there aren't that many of them that apply/are accepted/go there. most students who apply to, and end up at, ivies are from the northeast or california. i'm not saying there aren't talented students from all over the country, but i don't think that's a good argument to show how good your school is (and it does sound like it is a good one). my high school was top-notch (i'm from long island), but i would not give them (administration, teachers, etc) an ounce of credit for my success. i think it depends entirely on the person/student.
So you think that you could have done as well without even one person teaching you anything at all all the way though high school?? You could have gotten every lesson all on your own without any help? I know I cannot say that. I don't know of anyone who can, so you must be very special.

I never said a unit on Mozart was earth shattering and could not be missed. Once agin you are twisting my words to suit your argument. I never said anything could not be missed, just that what is missed is no less important for having missed it. Mozart happened to be something the interested my DD. Every time she goes to music she comes home talking about it. If she is that interested, then I don't feel it's a total waste. WOuld youy feel it was a total waste if your child was excited aobut learing it? I think it great that it has captured her iterest. Why do you need to persist in rediculing every example I have given?? What is the point other than to be mean? I get that you don't agree. Totally. There is no need to be so ugly about it.

I'm sorry if you think that my intent was to 'ridicule' your examples because it was not. I was simply tying them in to illustrate my point. And, for the record, I never used the words 'earth shattering'.

So what exactly was my point? That elementary math and reading and language arts CAN in fact be made up without difficulty by most children. Caterpillars and Mozart and the solar system and the Wampanoag Indians etc. etc? Well, even if a child doesn't ever totally grasp the material as a result of being taken out of school for a vacation, in the grand scheme of things, so what of it? It will not negatively impact their ability to achieve success in school, and more importantly life, there on in. And THAT is why many are not, and cannot be convinced to be, concerned.

Just trying my darndest to help you understand because, despite the fact that it's been explained many times over within the last 6+ months, it still appears to cause you some confusion and unrest. It's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing with one another. It's about understanding that we simply don't all have the same perspective........and learning to respect that.

And you know what? I am truly sorry you think I'm being 'ugly' as I'm really not trying to be mean and disrespectful. I said 'I thought' presenting a unit on Mozart was a waste of time for a first grade student simply because I do, not to insult. What can I tell ya....it is what it is and just illustrates my point that it really just boils down to a difference of opinion.

that may be true of Brown, but I know the Cornell does indeed give financial assistance, based on a combination of academic merit and financial need. I know of 2 students there now recieving such aid. I also know that a similar porgram has existed in the past at Harvard, as a family member benefited from that one. As to Act/ SAT. We had 2 students in our graduatinog class last year with a 35 ACT score, and will have at least one that i know fo this year with a 35. I know of 1 score of 36 at another school in the district last year, and several schools that had more than one 35. No one in the top 10% of the class last yearat our school scored below 33.

none of the ivies give scholarships based on academic merit because there is no need to do so. schools that give scholarships give them to attract strong students who would normally pick other schools. only strong students apply to ivies, so there is no need to attract them or convince them to come. cornell is my current school (i transferred from columbia). just like all of the other ivies, aid is based solely on financial need. it is possible to get alumni scholarships, etc, but they are not considered part of your aid package nor are they just offered. alumni can pick you and decide to give it to you. if you do get any sort of scholarship (alumni or external), it is used to replace school grants, so you are not getting anything more than what you would be getting from school grants unless you manage to get $50,000 in outside scholarships to cover both the grant portion and your own contribution.

as for you thinking that i couldn't do it all on my own, yes, i could. just like i'm in several auto-tutorial classes now, i am able to learn on my own and without help. it is completely doable with the right discipline and time management.

none of the ivies give scholarships based on academic merit because there is no need to do so. schools that give scholarships give them to attract strong students who would normally pick other schools. only strong students apply to ivies, so there is no need to attract them or convince them to come. cornell is my current school (i transferred from columbia). just like all of the other ivies, aid is based solely on financial need. it is possible to get alumni scholarships, etc, but they are not considered part of your aid package nor are they just offered. alumni can pick you and decide to give it to you. if you do get any sort of scholarship (alumni or external), it is used to replace school grants, so you are not getting anything more than what you would be getting from school grants unless you manage to get $50,000 in outside scholarships to cover both the grant portion and your own contribution.

as for you thinking that i couldn't do it all on my own, yes, i could. just like i'm in several auto-tutorial classes now, i am able to learn on my own and without help. it is completely doable with the right discipline and time management.
I actually had to fill out a portion of the form for a student recieving aid from Cornell. It clearly stated that both merit and need were to be taken into account. I hade ot provide detailed information about the studen't academic merit.
I didn't say you couldn't learn on your own ,just that you must be very special person to do so with no outside help whatsoever. I know people with genuis IQ's who couldn't teach themselves physical chemisrty, particle physiscs, or advanced calculus without at least some outside help. It is truly a very rare person that can tackle that kind of advanced material without any help. I have no doubt that I could accomplish it with English or History, but I don't know anyone personally who could do it with advanced maths and sciences. I am not questioning at all just expressing how rare a thing that truly is. Most of the world couldn't achieve and advanced degrees without teachers. I am assuming you took things like claculus and advanced physics and chemsitry ect in high school. Correct me if I am wrong. If so, it amazes me that you could have gotten through them without so much as a word of help from a teacher. You truly are a unique individual. For most is not about discipline and time managment at all, but understanding of the material. All of the disciplined focused study in the world would not help if you simply don't understand what you are studying.

I'm sorry if you think that my intent was to 'ridicule' your examples because it was not. I was simply tying them in to illustrate my point. And, for the record, I never used the words 'earth shattering'.

So what exactly was my point? That elementary math and reading and language arts CAN in fact be made up without difficulty by most children. Caterpillars and Mozart and the solar system and the Wampanoag Indians etc. etc? Well, even if a child doesn't ever totally grasp the material as a result of being taken out of school for a vacation, in the grand scheme of things, so what of it? It will not negatively impact their ability to achieve success in school, and more importantly life, there on in. And THAT is why many are not, and cannot be convinced to be, concerned.

Just trying my darndest to help you understand because, despite the fact that it's been explained many times over within the last 6+ months, it still appears to cause you some confusion and unrest. It's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing with one another. It's about understanding that we simply don't all have the same perspective........and learning to respect that.

And you know what? I am truly sorry you think I'm being 'ugly' as I'm really not trying to be mean and disrespectful. I said 'I thought' presenting a unit on Mozart was a waste of time for a first grade student simply because I do, not to insult. What can I tell ya....it is what it is and just illustrates my point that it really just boils down to a difference of opinion.
I don't see your comments as very respectful of others opinion. How is calling something that someone else values "a waste of time" respectful? It is inherently insulting. As I have said time and agian, I DO respect the opinion of those who choose to pull thier children from school, I don't have a problem with that at all and do it myself. My only problem is with the idea that a week of school missed is worthless. Does it really matter when that child is an adult? One week might not, but a week or two every year throughout the whole of school just might make a difference. I know in high school it often makes the difference between an A and a B. I have seen a missed week keep someone for being valedictorian.

I don't see your comments as very respectful of others opinion. How is calling something that someone else values "a waste of time" respectful? It is inherently insulting.

I've already apologized and tried to explain what I meant by that. Believe what you will. I simply don't find an entire unit on Mozart in the first grade of any value. I can think of lots of other things I'd rather have them focusing on during those early years of school. Save Mozart for when they are older and can truly appreciate the topic. I'm sure there are loads of things that I value in life that you would find a waste of time. Fine by me. I'm not insulted in the least.

I have seen a missed week keep someone for being valedictorian.

I don't doubt it but.......there again, what that ultimately means is a matter of perspective. Although I don't expect you to understand this, I don't find the acheivement of valedictorian as something that matters in the grand scheme of things. There's so much more to life than A's and Honors classes and class ranking and Ivy League, and advanced degrees and fancy credentials etc. etc. etc.. So very much more.

I actually had to fill out a portion of the form for a student recieving aid from Cornell. It clearly stated that both merit and need were to be taken into account. I hade ot provide detailed information about the studen't academic merit.

that's interesting; i've never heard of that. would you mind sharing if the student did get any merit-based help? i only question it because i've never heard of that and because of what i said before: there is no need to attract students because we're already a world-renowned institution. maybe i'm a little out of the loop because i'm a full pay student :confused3

actually, this is on the cornell website. here's the link:
https://www.finaid.cornell.edu/eligibility/

How Cornell Determines Your Financial Aid Eligibility
"Cornell University makes admissions decisions without regard to the ability of students or parents to pay educational costs. Students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents and who demonstrate financial need will be assisted in meeting that need through one or more of the following: federal and state grants, employment opportunities, loans, The Cornell Commitment programs, scholarships from endowments and restricted funds, and Cornell grants."

- The Cornell University Board of Trustees
Our financial aid initiatives make Cornell accessible and affordable. Read more...
Cornell awards financial aid on the basis of demonstrated financial need rather than on merit. There are no scholarships for merit, athletic or other talents.

I've already tried to explain what I meant by that. Believe what you will. I simply don't find an entire unit on Mozart in the first grade of any value. I can think of lots of other things I'd rather have them focusing on during those early years of school. Save Mozart for when they are older and can truly appreciate the topic. I'm sure there are loads of things that I value in life that you would find a waste of time. Fine by me. I'm not insulted in the least.

I don't doubt it but.......there again, what that ultimately means is a matter of perspective. Although I don't expect you to understand this, I don't find the acheivement of valedictorian as something that matters in the grand scheme of things. There's so much more to life than A's and Honors classes and class ranking and Ivy League, and advanced degrees and fancy credentials etc. etc. etc.. So very much more.
Well, of course there is more to life than good grades, but they are one of the more important things. I rank doing your personal best at everything you do right up there with honesty, kindness, compassion, and integrity. There is also the little matter of money. Doing well in school nad getting a marketable degree IS important, if you want to have a secure financial future. It isn't a guarntee by any means, but it certianly improves the odds.

eta: Sorry about the thumbs down. I didn't put it there??

Our classes don't move through material that quickly at the elementary level. Science units are 4 weeks long and explore a single topic in depth, and the kids get the text/workbook at the start of the unit so we can go over what is missed at home without any real trouble. Social studies has an annual "theme"; 4th grade is state history and the teacher's web site shows what time period and topics they're studying each week.

Spelling is weekly units but the assignments are repetitive - looking up definitions on Monday, using words in sentences on Tuesday, etc. - and the rest of language arts isn't organized into clear-cut units where a topic is only covered for one week. It "stacks", so something is introduced one week to get a feel of where the class is starting on the concept, covered in more depth the next, and remains in the unit as review for another week or two as needed. And math is handled about the same as language arts.

For a kid who catches on quickly, a missed week still leaves enough time working with each concept that catching up at home is more about finishing missed assignments than learning new material. And our school's web site makes keeping tabs on what is being missed really simple, because spelling lists and Spanish vocab lists and other routine parts of the workload are posted each week, along with brief notes about what is being covered in other subjects.

I find it interesting how different schools are. Social Studies here has various units and not just one for the whole year. Language Arts is stacked but will also be used in other topic areas such as Social studies.

Math is mainly done with everyone but Math facts are done at the student's pace with a few in the class already half way through multiplication (only offered the opportunity to start this a week ago). The kids get 1 minute to do all the math facts (not in order) for a particular number.

Reading is done both on class level and individual student level with all kids involved in the Accelerated Reading Program. A goal is set with all kids in the grade per grading period and if the child makes that goal than they get to participate in the AR party. My daughter is one of the kids in her class that always ends up helping the slower readers try to make their AR goal. The goal for her grade level is 8 points per grading period (books for this level are only worth up to 0.5 points and you must score 80% on a test for it to count but then you only get 0.4 points). The first grading period she did 10. something points while the second grading period she kept going and made 20. something points. Once she hits 40 points she will get a tshirt and she is working on that.

It is also funny to see how many different grading systems are used by schools. Our kids do not get Letter grades until they are in 4th grade. We are more concerned with kids mastering skills without getting frustrated by low grades. My nephew's school uses an ABC grading scale in 1st grade and my sister hates it. How does a child handle getting a C in 1st grade even though they work hard?? I have actually never been in a school district (even growing up) that gave ABC grades in the younger grades.

that's interesting; i've never heard of that. would you mind sharing if the student did get any merit-based help? i only question it because i've never heard of that and because of what i said before: there is no need to attract students because we're already a world-renowned institution. maybe i'm a little out of the loop because i'm a full pay student :confused3

actually, this is on the cornell website. here's the link:
https://www.finaid.cornell.edu/eligibility/

How Cornell Determines Your Financial Aid Eligibility
"Cornell University makes admissions decisions without regard to the ability of students or parents to pay educational costs. Students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents and who demonstrate financial need will be assisted in meeting that need through one or more of the following: federal and state grants, employment opportunities, loans, The Cornell Commitment programs, scholarships from endowments and restricted funds, and Cornell grants."

- The Cornell University Board of Trustees
Our financial aid initiatives make Cornell accessible and affordable. Read more...
Cornell awards financial aid on the basis of demonstrated financial need rather than on merit. There are no scholarships for merit, athletic or other talents.
He did recieve aid. There is no way he could have gone otherwise. The way I understood it, you had to display both need AND merit in order to be awarded the particular type of aid he was applying for. Perhaps it was one of the endowed scholarships?? I don't remeber what the particular title of the program was, just that as an academic advisor I had to fill out a rather detailed form asking about critical thinking, problem solving, academic inquiry and a host of other things. It was several pages, and one of the more exhaustive recommendations I have done.

Well, of course there is more to life than good grades, but they are one of the more important things. I rank doing your personal best at everything you do right up there with honesty, kindness, compassion, and integrity. There is also the little matter of money. Doing well in school nad getting a marketable degree IS important, if you want to have a secure financial future. It isn't a guarntee by any means, but it certianly improves the odds.

eta: Sorry about the thumbs down. I didn't put it there??

I can't disagree with anything you say. And seeing that you're a teacher yourself, it makes perfect sense you'd value the pursuit of knowledge in the way you do. I have a MS degree myself so I'm certainly not anti-education but perhaps my outlook is colored by the large numbers of people I know who are in fact very successful without having obtained the fancy degrees; without having excelled academically. What they did have though was drive and ambition. They're entrepeneurs. You absolutely can be very successful in life without being on the Honor Roll. It just depends on what you seek to achieve in life.

Personally I hope that my children end up working for themselves (like their Dad and I, back when I did work). We've been pounding the virtue of being your own boss and having control over your own life into their heads since day one and they get it, even at their very young age. So while education is certainly important in my house it is not important in the same way it may be in others. I push them to do their best but I'm not worried about what college they will get into or if they will qualify for academic scholarships. While certainly they will need to continue their education beyond high school, it will likely take the form of p-t classes in combination with work/internships/volunteer work/ travel opportunities as opposed to a conventional f-t BS/B/A degree program. And of course if they do so choose to go the more traditional route, I have no doubt they will find a program that'll meet their needs. They're smart kids. They're go-getters even now. I have no worries.

OK....I've gotten a bit off topic. What else is new LOL We've gone back and forth many times on this topic and for what it's worth I want you to know that, despite what you may think, I find you to be both thoughtful and intelligent. I just wish you'd be alittle open minded and understand that most here are in fact very respectful of the decisions you have made for your family. Perhaps it'd be nice to feel that you gave others the same respect in return. I know you say you do, it just doesn't always come across that way:)

Wow, I have missed a lot. :laughing: It seems we have gotten way off topic. People trying to make the point that their "way" of education is somehow superior or better. People stating that their students are more advanced. I think it it safe to say there are a lot of different types of schools out there as well as different types of students. It may very well be difficult to catch up from a week of school at one place but not another. That does not make the first superior. I think it is important to learn the guidelines of the school and the type of student your child is and make the decision from there. Talk to your children. Do they want to miss a week? Do they want to do the make up work? Is it even allowed in your district?

Personally, if you are following the guidelines and your child has no problem making up the week I don't see an issue with missing school. As I said, I have taken my DD out of school for 5 days in each of K, 1, and 2. While she had no problem making up the work she stated she no longer wishes to have all that make up work. I will respect her wishes. After checking the flights for April and February vacations I would say we would either consider driving or going in the summer. But, that is just us. Everyone is different and nobody is better than someone else.;)

I think it's really circumstantial. I'm doing the same...pulling my 3rd grader out next November for a week (5 school days + 1 holiday day).

My justifications:

He's in a second grade in an accelerated/enrichment program and he's well into 3rd grade expectations (he's already hitting the marks now that he should be hitting when we are at WDW next school year). He's NOT going to be behind.
I've been in graduate school for the past 3 years (including the summer)...we ALL deserve a family vacation and to be together.
MIL has battled leukemia this past year and wants to see her 4 grandchildren in 1 place (The Happiest Place on Earth, of course!) because she's never had them altogether.

I can't disagree with anything you say. And seeing that you're a teacher yourself, it makes perfect sense you'd value the pursuit of knowledge in the way you do. I have a MS degree myself so I'm certainly not anti-education but perhaps my outlook is colored by the large numbers of people I know who are in fact very successful without having obtained the fancy degrees; without having excelled academically. What they did have though was drive and ambition. They're entrepeneurs. You absolutely can be very successful in life without being on the Honor Roll. It just depends on what you seek to achieve in life.

Personally I hope that my children end up working for themselves (like their Dad and I, back when I did work). We've been pounding the virtue of being your own boss and having control over your own life into their heads since day one and they get it, even at their very young age. So while education is certainly important in my house it is not important in the same way it may be in others. I push them to do their best but I'm not worried about what college they will get into or if they will qualify for academic scholarships. While certainly they will need to continue their education beyond high school, it will likely take the form of p-t classes in combination with work/internships/volunteer work/ travel opportunities as opposed to a conventional f-t BS/B/A degree program. And of course if they do so choose to go the more traditional route, I have no doubt they will find a program that'll meet their needs. They're smart kids. They're go-getters even now. I have no worries.

OK....I've gotten a bit off topic. What else is new LOL We've gone back and forth many times on this topic and for what it's worth I want you to know that, despite what you may think, I find you to be both thoughtful and intelligent. I just wish you'd be alittle open minded and understand that most here are in fact very respectful of the decisions you have made for your family. Perhaps it'd be nice to feel that you gave others the same respect in return. I know you say you do, it just doesn't always come across that way:)

I agree 100% with EVERYTHING you wrote... have been on these boards for a while and you've hit the nail on the head :worship:

I have pulled my kids out several times. They are both very good students and made up the work. Your child is only 7, I wouldn't even give it a second thought!!!! Of course do it. I have pulled my kids out through 6th grade.

I am planning a WDW/US trip for my family in a few years. At the time my kids will be 7 and 9 (2nd and 3rd Grade here in Australia). I intend to pull them out of school for 8 weeks for the trip and I'm sure the school will be ok with it. It will be an incredible learning experience for them and can only enhance their school education.

I'm a high school teacher, married to a high school teacher, so my point of view is pretty predicatable: our kids will never miss school to go to WDW.

And I'm not trying to convince anyone of my point of view. I've realized over the years that it simply isn't going to happen.

But I do question the point of view that nothing much is going to happen in a week.

If I honestly thought that my kids could miss a week of school and not miss anything important, you can be your life I would be asking why. Loudly. And frequently. At PTA meetings and school board meetings and in the principal's office.

Missing a week of school, 1/36 of those precious 180 days, SHOULD make a difference. If I really thought it didn't, I would be way beyond concerned.

If everything that was important could be gotten from the notes, then there would be no point in sending kids to school. We could sit them down with their textbooks and workbooks in the living room and let them get up 12 years later, diploma in hand.

But that isn't how it works, at least not in my class. A kid who has missed more than 2 days of school sick inevitably needs to see me for some serious extra help after he or she has gotten the notes. And even then, he or she will miss the little things-- the references that pop up in days to come that simply weren't part of the notes. The reference to Liz's question or to Devon's joke, or the reference to the problem the kids had with the Do Now problem.

Can a kid still pass? Of course. Can he excel? Sure. But has he missed a piece of the puzzle, in fact a lot of little pieces of the puzzle? You bet your life. My class isn't a correspondance course, or spectator sport. It's a participation sport, one you need to be part of to benefit from.

And then, of course, there are all those little intangibles-- the teachable moments that pop up, unplanned, during each day.

Again, I'm really not trying to convince anyone. But I do think that anyone who thinks their kids won't miss much if they're out for 5 days should become a very vocal presence in the office of their schools. Missing 1/36 of a school year SHOULD make a difference. If not, then your tax dollars are being wasted.

I'm a high school teacher, married to a high school teacher, so my point of view is pretty predicatable: our kids will never miss school to go to WDW.

And I'm not trying to convince anyone of my point of view. I've realized over the years that it simply isn't going to happen.

But I do question the point of view that nothing much is going to happen in a week.

If I honestly thought that my kids could miss a week of school and not miss anything important, you can be your life I would be asking why. Loudly. And frequently. At PTA meetings and school board meetings and in the principal's office.

Missing a week of school, 1/36 of those precious 180 days, SHOULD make a difference. If I really thought it didn't, I would be way beyond concerned.

If everything that was important could be gotten from the notes, then there would be no point in sending kids to school. We could sit them down with their textbooks and workbooks in the living room and let them get up 12 years later, diploma in hand.

But that isn't how it works, at least not in my class. A kid who has missed more than 2 days of school sick inevitably needs to see me for some serious extra help after he or she has gotten the notes. And even then, he or she will miss the little things-- the references that pop up in days to come that simply weren't part of the notes. The reference to Liz's question or to Devon's joke, or the reference to the problem the kids had with the Do Now problem.

Can a kid still pass? Of course. Can he excel? Sure. But has he missed a piece of the puzzle, in fact a lot of little pieces of the puzzle? You bet your life. My class isn't a correspondance course, or spectator sport. It's a participation sport, one you need to be part of to benefit from.

And then, of course, there are all those little intangibles-- the teachable moments that pop up, unplanned, during each day.

Again, I'm really not trying to convince anyone. But I do think that anyone who thinks their kids won't miss much if they're out for 5 days should become a very vocal presence in the office of their schools. Missing 1/36 of a school year SHOULD make a difference. If not, then your tax dollars are being wasted.

I've followed this thread and I agree with you for High School, but not 1st or 2nd grade.

My father just passed away in sept at the age of 63 and IMO life is too short.Your children are only young once. Life is not all about school or curriculums. The time we spend with our kids is priceless. I will take my kids out 1 week every year. And my 6 and 8 yr old would not choose school and friends over their family and Disney, at least not at this age anyways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter