Pulling 7 year old out of school. What do you do?

Anything that is going to strike interest in my kids mind. Make them ask questions or wonder why can be the start of a educational journey. No I am not kidding not all things are learned in life from a Book. If its ok for a teacher to take a sabbatical its okay for me to take my kids on a trip. We talk about aviation we check our flight route we asked questions on Disney pay rate cost of living. Different bugs and lizards weather . They can and will learn out side of the class room if you introduce new subjects and ideas. What scares me most is the closed minded teacher that thinks they are the only one able to teach our kid anything get real !
I don't know of any teachers that get sabbaticals. We get 2 personal days a year. Those are the only days we can take off without being sick or having a sick child, outside of going to court for the school system, being called for jury duty, or a death in the immediate family. College professors are the only poeple I know who can take a sabbatical, and they don't get paid when they do, so it is pretty rare.

Anything that is going to strike interest in my kids mind. Make them ask questions or wonder why can be the start of a educational journey. No I am not kidding not all things are learned in life from a Book. If its ok for a teacher to take a sabbatical its okay for me to take my kids on a trip. We talk about aviation we check our flight route we asked questions on Disney pay rate cost of living. Different bugs and lizards weather . They can and will learn out side of the class room if you introduce new subjects and ideas. What scares me most is the closed minded teacher that thinks they are the only one able to teach our kid anything get real !
That is completely different that arguing for educational content in something. There is none in Mission space, and very little in Ellen. I don't think the possibility that something might spark a child's interest justifys it as an educational experience in and of itself. A trip to the candy store might spark an interest in candy making. Taht doesn't make it "educational" unless ther was some sort of curriclium being followed, and a lot of content was being added. The primary purpose of a family vacation to Disney is rarely an educational experience. Can educational content be forund? Absoultely, just like in a trip to the grocery store, but that does nto make it an "educational trip".

I don't know of any teachers that get sabbaticals. We get 2 personal days a year. Those are the only days we can take off without being sick or having a sick child, outside of going to court for the school system, being called for jury duty, or a death in the immediate family. College professors are the only poeple I know who can take a sabbatical, and they don't get paid when they do, so it is pretty rare.

Our teachers must have a very good union they get 7 personal days 14 sick days and they can have a paid sabbatical every 10 years for 1/2 of the school year that does not include days for district meetings and educational programs they may pick to go to and the school pays for the classes .They must be doing something right we are testing in the top 7 in the State .

Honestly it sounds like she was punishing him for going on vacation but felt he was fine to have less work because he was truely sick. I could be wrong but to see the different treatment for the different reasons for absences just kind of brings me to my thoughts.

Hope your little one is feeling better now.
Could be, but it cou;d also be that she doesn't want to overload him while he is sick, and it thinking that she will help him catch up when he is feeling better. I had a child in my Chem class in the hospital this week with Norwalk. I didn't send him any work. He is too sick to do it, and will need my help with some of it anyway, so we will take care of it when he is back and feeing better. Sending him the work would only serve to stress him out, and he doesn;t need that right now.

Our teachers must have a very good union they get 7 personal days 14 sick days and they can have a paid sabbatical every 10 years for 1/2 of the school year that does not include days for district meetings and educational programs they may pick to go to and the school pays for the classes .They must be doing something right we are testing in the top 7 in the State .
Put quite simply, we don't have that kind of money. Must be nice.

Actually my school is a mix of both. We have our share of troubled, courtesy of the neighborhood we a zoned for. Most of our neighborhood kis are rasing themselves in an environment where that don't know where their next meal is coming from or if there is going to be a shootout on thier street tonight. We also have a couple of magnet academic na performing arts program going that draw out of district students from across the city. Thes kids are the best and brightest the city has to offer, and most afrom a entirely different world from the neighborhood kids. It makes for a truly interesting mix, and leads to its own set of problems.

Don't you work at the Alabama School for Math and Sciences? That's what I had gathered from all the back and forth over the past 6+ months. All those Honors classes (I seem to recall that you've identified yourself as an Honors Physics teacher?), the perfect ACT scores and near perfect SAT scores, the Ivy League admissions.......those aren't typical of the average inner city high school. If I'm wrong, my apologies. Maybe you consider those kids 'your' kids and refer to them as such just because they are in your district. I just assumed, because of the way you've spoken, that you actually worked in that school with those kids.

Could be, but it cou;d also be that she doesn't want to overload him while he is sick, and it thinking that she will help him catch up when he is feeling better. I had a child in my Chem class in the hospital this week with Norwalk. I didn't send him any work. He is too sick to do it, and will need my help with some of it anyway, so we will take care of it when he is back and feeing better. Sending him the work would only serve to stress him out, and he doesn;t need that right now.

If he was a middle school or high school student I might agree with you but he's in 1st grade. The truth is that the packet we were given in December made my eyes roll......it was alot of busy work (but we did it). This packet I have now makes sense.

There is no doubt in my mind that, concious or unconcious, she was sending us a message by giving him all that work in December. It had nothing to do with him 'needing' to do it to keep up.

And to LeaJess: thanx for the kind words....yes he is home today and feeling much better:)

If he was a middle school or high school student I might agree with you but he's in 1st grade. The truth is that the packet we were given in December made my eyes roll......it was alot of busy work (but we did it). This packet I have now makes sense.

There is no doubt in my mind that, concious or unconcious, she was sending us a message by giving him all that work in December. It had nothing to do with him 'needing' to do it to keep up.

And to LeaJess: thanx for the kind words....yes he is home today and feeling much better:)

My ds's third grade teacher did the same thing. She also made him stay in from recess for two weeks on top of all the work I was doing with him at home. I wasn't real happy about it, but we made the decision to go and we had to deal with the consequences.

I do not see anything wrong with missing school although I know some schools are more lenient then others. If a family can travel in off season they would pay alot less for their trip then traveling in peak season when everyone else does. What I suggest is the parent gets the school work that will be missed and have your child do it on weekends, evenings, etc and in addition perhaps doing a special report, talk on something educational from their trip. This is the same difference as if your child were home sick for a week, you would get make up work. Everyone has different views just go with what works for your family and school. Let the child know that it isn't a week missed they will ave to make up the schoolwork but by taking the trip no it is affordable and they don't have to wait in long lines as they would another time in the year. This would teach your child the value of money, planning, responsibility and education is important.

Don't you work at the Alabama School for Math and Sciences? That's what I had gathered from all the back and forth over the past 6+ months. All those Honors classes (I seem to recall that you've identified yourself as an Honors Physics teacher?), the perfect ACT scores and near perfect SAT scores, the Ivy League admissions.......those aren't typical of the average inner city high school. If I'm wrong, my apologies. Maybe you consider those kids 'your' kids and refer to them as such just because they are in your district. I just assumed, because of the way you've spoken, that you actually worked in that school with those kids.
nope, not ASMS. They pull form all over the state, and are a boarding school. They are not part of a school system at all, but they are state sponsored. I guess they would be closest to a charter school. They are not the only school in Mobile with bright children. Far from it. The students there are specifically talented in the sciences. I don't particularly like the environment there as iti s very socially insular. They do not participate in any sports, academic competiotns, or music programs. Nothing that takes them outside of the school. Other schools specialize in different areas. Most are inner city schoosl that have developed magnet programs to draw in suburban students with a sepcalized talent. There is a school that does specifically engineering, one for Health Sciences, a couple with specalized performing arts programs, and two IB schools, each offering different facets of the program. All have talented students, and all have had perfect nad near perfect ACT/SAT scores. MY school specifically routinely has 35 ACT scores. There has been at least one 35 and multiple scores above 33 every year i have been there. It was the norm for these schools when i was in school as well. It was rare for anyone in the top 10% of a magnet program school to score below 33. Students are required to mantian a certian GPA in the full honors program to remain at a magnet school if they transfered in for that program. The children districted for that school are typically not part of the program. The really bright students are the top 10-20% of the population at any given school, and are spread out over the system, whihc is why no one school stands out when you look at the statistics. If you put all of the magnet program students together in one school, it would look much more like ASMS does on paper.

I HATE busy work, so I would have probably been upset as well. I do my best not to do that to students, because I remeber seeing things and thinking "And why am I doing this?" Glad to hear he is home and doing better.

PP's district is clearly a district that values education, you might say. And teachers.
It is not a matter of valuing education versus not. The money is simply not there. Thge majority of the state lives in poverty, and we are a balanced buget state. We don't have money for luxuries like sabbaticals. It is the same concept as a family buget. You have to live within your means. My state desn't have the means for that many paid vacation days, and semester long sabbaticals. It is less aobut valuing education, and more about making sound financial decisions. It keeps us from ending up like other states who have exceeded their means and are now in real buget trouble.

here the age old debate goes, once again.

you know your child. you do whatever is best for YOUR family. and have fun!

nope, not ASMS. They pull form all over the state, and are a boarding school. They are not part of a school system at all, but they are state sponsored. I guess they would be closest to a charter school. They are not the only school in Mobile with bright children. Far from it. The students there are specifically talented in the sciences. I don't particularly like the environment there as iti s very socially insular. They do not participate in any sports, academic competiotns, or music programs. Nothing that takes them outside of the school. Other schools specialize in different areas. Most are inner city schoosl that have developed magnet programs to draw in suburban students with a sepcalized talent. There is a school that does specifically engineering, one for Health Sciences, a couple with specalized performing arts programs, and two IB schools, each offering different facets of the program. All have talented students, and all have had perfect nad near perfect ACT/SAT scores. MY school specifically routinely has 35 ACT scores. There has been at least one 35 and multiple scores above 33 every year i have been there. It was the norm for these schools when i was in school as well. It was rare for anyone in the top 10% of a magnet program school to score below 33. Students are required to mantian a certian GPA in the full honors program to remain at a magnet school if they transfered in for that program. The children districted for that school are typically not part of the program. The really bright students are the top 10-20% of the population at any given school, and are spread out over the system, whihc is why no one school stands out when you look at the statistics. If you put all of the magnet program students together in one school, it would look much more like ASMS does on paper.

Well then, I profusely apologize and apparently I should have asked before I assumed. Thanx for clearing up the misunderstanding and from here on in I will be sure I know what I'm talking about before jumping like I did (well, at least I'll try;) )

Wow...I have been out sick and haven't been on the DIS in a week. I can't believe this is still going on. Anyway, I just had to comment on the statement that was made regarding parents who take their children out of school not valuing school. That is quite far from the truth. I value education enough that I work my butt off to send my child to an excellent private school. I have taken her out for vacations. I have said she missed some information and did have to do extra work but she was still able to receive all A's at the end. There are 180 days of school. WDW can be just as educational the other 185 days of the year. Heck, just staying home can be educational too. However, it is a personal choice. If the rules of the handbook are followed and the students have no problem with it; I don't see a problem with it. It does not mean that I "value" school or vacation more. If I felt my child's final grade was going to be negatively affected by missing school I would not pull her out. I think the whole judgemental attitude (on both sides) really needs to get taken down a notch or two. ;)

We're also going the same week. For us it will probably be a once in a lifetime thing so I don't feel bad about pulling them out of 1st and 2nd grade. My kids learn a lot when they are in a different environment, and I can find learning oppurtunities anywhere we go.

The reason I chose to start our week mid week is because often new material is taught at the beginning of the week and reviewed at the end of the week. I figured this way they are are "only" missing the review one week and can catch the new material during the "review" the next week

We're also going the same week. For us it will probably be a once in a lifetime thing so I don't feel bad about pulling them out of 1st and 2nd grade. My kids learn a lot when they are in a different environment, and I can find learning oppurtunities anywhere we go.

The reason I chose to start our week mid week is because often new material is taught at the beginning of the week and reviewed at the end of the week. I figured this way they are are "only" missing the review one week and can catch the new material during the "review" the next week

I hope you have a wonderful vacation! :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter