Pulling 7 year old out of school. What do you do?

So I am not entitled to "own my opinion" either, since it doesn't agree with yours??? I siad it was MY OPINION, and that if someone feels differently that is ok. No, quite frankly I don't think people who continually allow thier children to miss class just becuase they want to go on vacation, out of town, or anywhere else truly value the clas time that their children are missing, and I feel that they are teaching thier children that that class time is NOT valuble enough to be inconvinenced for. I see the results of that all the time when my high school students expect to come back form a week of vacation and not be held accountable for what was missed. They are genuinely shocked when I tell them that ,yes, you do have to take the test you missed, and if you don't get the material you missed, you cannot expect to function in class from this point out because in this course topics are actually connected. Again, if parents feel that school is not important enough to minmize time missed then that is OK, but you cannot have it both ways. If you don't think school is important, then own that opinion. You are more than welcome to it, but you can't randomly decide that school is sometimes important and sometimes not, either it is or it isn't. Iti s not magically less important the week you choose to vacation.

I wouldn't be so quick to call it an opinion.....it's really more of a judgement call. An opinion would be to say "I think it is important to miss as little school as possible". A judgement is to say "anyone who would pull their kid out of school for vacation doesn't value education". Is the distinction really that unclear? Sweeping generalizations are being made about people one doesn't even know.

And why exactly are we continuing to insist that people feel "school is not important"? That's a leap you are choosing to make not a sentiment anyone has personally expressed. And again, it's a judgement call - "A parent who would take a child out of school for vacation does not feel school is important". Do we know 'that' parent well enough to make that call? Nope, I'm simply not willing to 'own' that opinion because that's not how I feel. Sure, school has it's place; it is important; but it's not the only thing that's important. There are going to be times that I will feel that some other experience is in fact going to be more important than sitting in that classroom. And like it or not, I actually do have the 'right' to feel that way.

Am I teaching my children that school is not important enough to be inconvienced for? Not at all. I'm teaching them that life can be complicated. That things aren't always going to fall so neatly into place. That sometimes you have to really think about things and consider the potential pros and cons before making an important decision. That there's not necessarily a one size fits all solution to every situation. That you should never make your decisions in life according to someone else's handbook. IDK....seem like a lot of strong, sensible life lessons to me.

And honestly I'm alittle confused now because for months we've all been hearing about this Alabama high school and it's ultra high expectations; it's ultra smart student body........and now suddenly all these students are returning from vacation and expecting to not even have to take that test they missed; to not have to make up the material they missed???????????? Hey, if people want to criticize those hypothetical parents who would take their kids out and NOT expect them to make up the work I will suspect that they will receive nothing but support. I don't think any of those parents are participating on this thread though..............so the outrage is somewhat misdirected.

Nothing irritates me more than a "one size fits all" attitude about parenting.

My DH and I value education. It is a priority. We live a lifestyle that promotes learning in many ways. We also spend a good chunk of our money on private school because we think (in our area) it will give them a better education. We already have thousands of dollars set aside for college for our FOUR children. We sacrifice quite a bit, because we think education is important. I would think many people looking in our life would agree.

Yet I don't seem to have a problem with my 6yo missing a few days of 1st grade for a trip (he missed 3 days for WDW and 2 days for a local beach trip). Did he miss something? Of course! But I as parents, we weighed the pros and cons and made the decision to have him miss. He has missed more for being sick several times this year. It has not affected him. He is a bright child who is excelling even in this advanced school.

So you really want to call me out and tell me I have my priorities wrong, my head in the sand, and don't value education? Really? It's that black and white? To me people who think so rigidly and judge others have their heads far up somewhere else.
no what I am saying it that those that have the "I will pull my child whenever I want for whatever I want" and are pulling children out with no regard for what is being missed don't value education that happens in the classroom. Their vacation is more important. It sounds to me like you are doing what you can to minimize the time your child is missng, and have considered what will be missed in your decision. I am not saying anyone has thier prioirties wrong, and I do think that those who think a child can miss a week or two of school every year and miss nothing are burying thier heads in the sand. I am NOT judging anyone, just saying that if you feel that classroom time is not important, then own up to that. There is no justification necessary. I would also suggest to those people that they should consider homeschool. That way their kids are not "wasting time" in a classroom. Thier opinion is no more or lees right than mine, just different. There is nothing wrong with that. What bothers me is the attempt to say " classroom education is important" in the same breath as "my kid can miss a week and not miss anything important". I don't see how both can be true at the same time.

I wouldn't be so quick to call it an opinion.....it's really more of a judgement call. An opinion would be to say "I think it is important to miss as little school as possible". A judgement is to say "anyone who would pull their kid out of school for vacation doesn't value education". Is the distinction really that unclear? Sweeping generalizations are being made about people one doesn't even know.

And why are we continuing to insist that people feel "school is not important"? That's a leap you are choosing to make not a sentiment anyone has personally expressed. And again, it's a judgement call - "A parent who would take a child out of school for vacation does not feel school is important". Do you know 'that' parent well enough to make that call? I'm not going to 'own' that opinion because that's not how I feel. School has it's place. It's important. But it's not the only thing that's important.

And honestly I'm alittle confused now because for months we've all been hearing about this Alabama high school and it's ultra high expectations; it's ultra smart student body........and now suddenly all these students are returning from vacation and expecting to not even have to take that test they missed; to not have to make up the material they missed? If you want to criticize those hypothetical parents who would take their kids out and NOT expect them to make up the work then you go right ahead. I don't think any of them are participating on this thread though..............so the outrage is being somewhat misdirected.
look, you are going to continually choose to twist anything I say to fit your opinion of me, regadless of the real intent of the statement. I think mabye you have let your poor opinion of me take over. It seems to me that you can't be objective about anything I say becuase you are convinced I am trying to be elitist. Nothing could be further from the truth. I never said my school was any better than anoyone else's. I don't know where you are getting this, but you keep saying it?? I am very sorry now that I chose to use it as an example, because you keep throwing it back at me. The intent was never to say that we are better than anyone else, but to point out that missing a week of school often IS a big deal. Sorry that you continue to take it the wrong way.

Hello everyone,
I need your help on this DW & I are planning a trip for 9/16 - 9/23, and of course everyone says, "I can't believe you are going to pull your 2nd grader out of school for 6 days for this trip." I know as they get older, it will be more difficult to travel during this time frame and to pull your kids out of school as the work load get greater, but a 2nd grader being pulled out the 3rd week of the school year, I just don't see the big issue. She is doing extremely well in 1st grade this year, and I don't think she is going to have a lot of trouble getting caught up when we return, and We will ask for homework assignments that she would be missing that week ahead of time so she is not to far behind to begin with.

Can someone give me reassurance that my thinking is not wrong??? I sometimes feel that its mostly just the people who are jealous making these statements to be quite honest. We will never travel during April vacation because We hate the parks when they are that busy. Did it once, and it was awful.

Help make me feel better about this.....

Have been trying to get two Grandaughters out of school to go in September or October the last three years and --they can go--but in Indiana is it unexcused and they will NOT give make up homework. Both do very well in school one is in Whitley County and one in Hamilton county and both are the same on it. One is 11 and the other is 13. My cousin just tried with her 6 year old in Morgan county and was told same thing she can be unexcused and but no make up homework given but her school will not stop her from going of course. We all very disappointed:confused3 we do not have year round school as that would help.:surfweb:

look, you are going to continually choose to twist anything I say to fit your opinion of me, regadless of the real intent of the statement. I think mabye you have let your poor opinion of me take over. It seems to me that you can't be objective about anything I say becuase you are convinced I am trying to be elitist. Nothing could be further from the truth. I never said my school was any better than anoyone else's. I don't know where you are getting this, but you keep saying it?? I am very sorry now that I chose to use it as an example, because you keep throwing it back at me. The intent was never to say that we are better than anyone else, but to point out that missing a week of school often IS a big deal. Sorry that you continue to take it the wrong way.

Hey, if people say it, they should be ready to be held accountable for it. Problem with being a regular on a message board is that people start to 'know you'. I've read your responses to similar threads for months and an awful lot has been said in that a time. IDK....maybe facts are exaggerated sometimes in an effort to strengthen a point. But the pieces of the puzzle don't always fit together. It is what it is.

And I don't have a negative opinion of you so much as a negative opinion of the manner in which you choose to express your opinion (if that makes sense). I don't know what else to tell ya

Hey, if people say it, they should be held accountable for it. Problem with being a regular on a message board is that people start to 'know you'. I've read your responses to similar threads for months and you've said an awful lot in that time. IDK....maybe facts are exaggerated sometimes in an effort to strengthen a point. But the pieces of the puzzle don't always fit together. It is what it is.

And I don't have a negative opinion of you so much as a negative opinion of the manner in which you choose to express your opinion (if that makes sense). I don't know what else to tell ya
ok , I draw the line at accusing me of lying. I am done. I refuse to have a discussion with someone making those kinds of accusations. When you stoop to personal attack, it is becuase you are out of things to contribute.

I plan to do the same thing.

Just because your going to WDW doesn't mean it's any less of quality family time that you need.
In this world today you have to schedule time to be with family and school assignments are easily made up, especially at the beginning of the year.

ok , I draw the line at accusing me of lying. I am done. I refuse to have a discussion with someone making those kinds of accusations. When you stoop to personal attack, it is becuase you are out of things to contribute.

Oh my goodness....I was not accusing you of lying. I just think human nature is such that when we get ourselves all worked up and we are trying to defend our position we sometimes 'exaggerate' alittle. Everybody does. I have often had to go back and edit my own posts when I realize I've overstated a fact or two. So sorry you thought I was attacking you. How many times can a gal apologize and try to explain? Don't know what else I can say to get you to understand that I really am not 'out to get you'.

no what I am saying it that those that have the "I will pull my child whenever I want for whatever I want" and are pulling children out with no regard for what is being missed don't value education that happens in the classroom. Their vacation is more important. It sounds to me like you are doing what you can to minimize the time your child is missng, and have considered what will be missed in your decision. I am not saying anyone has thier prioirties wrong, and I do think that those who think a child can miss a week or two of school every year and miss nothing are burying thier heads in the sand. I am NOT judging anyone, just saying that if you feel that classroom time is not important, then own up to that. There is no justification necessary. I would also suggest to those people that they should consider homeschool. That way their kids are not "wasting time" in a classroom. Thier opinion is no more or lees right than mine, just different. There is nothing wrong with that. What bothers me is the attempt to say " classroom education is important" in the same breath as "my kid can miss a week and not miss anything important". I don't see how both can be true at the same time.

Well, then it is not black and white because you seem okay with my decision even though I felt our vacations were important enough for my kids to miss school... that's my point. Everyone has a different story to tell and you can't generalize to say that someone who takes their kid(s) out of school for a trip don't value education or bury their heads in the sand that the child is missing something.

As part of our decision we felt that since it was 1st grade, and our son was doing fine/ahead of most of the kids, and that the make up work was doable, we felt he wasn't missing much. Does that mean it's a crappy school? No. Does it mean our curriculum is not challenging? No. But we didn't think what he would miss was more important than the reasons we planned the trip when we did. Doesn't mean we don't value education. There may come a point where the decision will be made that missing school is not worth it. But for us, 1st grade - it's worth it.

I just had to share this amusing observation....

In December my family went to WDW for a week. We had full support from all 3 children's schools so that wasn't a problem. They all got a packet of homework. One is in 5th grade, one in 3rd, one in 1st. The 1st grader probably got the most work to do. A HUGE packet was presented to him. He did it all. No problem. In fact they all did all of their work. And when they came back to school they jumped right back into the swing of things without a hitch.

Fast forward to this week. My 1st grader (the one I often refer to with the complicated medical dx) was hospitalized on Monday. He had pheumonia and was in the hospital until yesterday. I called and spoke with his teacher on Thursday wanting to know if she'd put a packet together of make-up work. Her answer? "Oh, he'll be fine. Don't worry about it." Her decision? To send him a very small packet of work. This very same teacher who felt the need to send him paper upon paper upon paper during our WDW vacation suddenly thought he'd be fine with about 1/4 of the amount of work.

You read between the lines LOL

Just curious what the opinions are on the education of travel, exposure to different cultures & real life, and the educational opportunities of a trip to Walt Disney World. Why does everyone think it is only about the fun aspect? My daughter talks about the physics of the rides, the design elements, the mechanical engineering that goes into the rides, the different cultures around the showcase, the animal facts she learns in AK, the art appreciation she is exposed to at DHS, and even environmental factors of the number of people/packaging/resorts. She is only 6 and has been taken out of school about 2 weeks per school year. Every trip she goes on is educational and we make a point of it to discover those things with her. You can't possibly learn in a classroom what you can discover hands on. Just my two cents, for what it's worth.

P.S. - we have our daughter in Montessori school. this is our educational philosophy.

And honestly I'm alittle confused now because for months we've all been hearing about this Alabama high school and it's ultra high expectations; it's ultra smart student body........and now suddenly all these students are returning from vacation and expecting to not even have to take that test they missed; to not have to make up the material they missed????????????

I think you're getting some of her posts crossed. Her daughter attends a rigorous private school; she teaches high school sciences in a troubled public school.

Just curious what the opinions are on the education of travel, exposure to different cultures & real life, and the educational opportunities of a trip to Walt Disney World. Why does everyone think it is only about the fun aspect? My daughter talks about the physics of the rides, the design elements, the mechanical engineering that goes into the rides, the different cultures around the showcase, the animal facts she learns in AK, the art appreciation she is exposed to at DHS, and even environmental factors of the number of people/packaging/resorts. She is only 6 and has been taken out of school about 2 weeks per school year. Every trip she goes on is educational and we make a point of it to discover those things with her. You can't possibly learn in a classroom what you can discover hands on. Just my two cents, for what it's worth.

For us, Disney is probably the least educational major trip we take. Sure, it offers a lot of "teachable moments" because of the interconnectedness of so many issues, from the ecological and economical reasons for the annoying motion sensor air conditioning to the more obvious life science and cultures lessons to be found in talking to the specialized CMs at Animal Kingdom and around the World Showcase.

But bottom line, we spend a lot more time on just plain fun at Disney than on educational fun so I don't really consider it an educational trip overall. Our other trips tend to be more natural or historic in tone - when we went to Mexico we toured Xcaret and the Mayan ruins, when we go to Chicago we spent most of our time at the Field Museum and the Shedd Aquarium, we're going to DC this year to tour the Smithsonian museums and the National Zoo, etc. If I was trying to justify a trip on purely educational grounds, Disney isn't the destination I'd choose.

I think you're getting some of her posts crossed. Her daughter attends a rigorous private school; she teaches high school sciences in a troubled public school.

Actually my school is a mix of both. We have our share of troubled, courtesy of the neighborhood we a zoned for. Most of our neighborhood kis are rasing themselves in an environment where that don't know where their next meal is coming from or if there is going to be a shootout on thier street tonight. We also have a couple of magnet academic na performing arts program going that draw out of district students from across the city. Thes kids are the best and brightest the city has to offer, and most afrom a entirely different world from the neighborhood kids. It makes for a truly interesting mix, and leads to its own set of problems.

For us, Disney is probably the least educational major trip we take. Sure, it offers a lot of "teachable moments" because of the interconnectedness of so many issues, from the ecological and economical reasons for the annoying motion sensor air conditioning to the more obvious life science and cultures lessons to be found in talking to the specialized CMs at Animal Kingdom and around the World Showcase.

But bottom line, we spend a lot more time on just plain fun at Disney than on educational fun so I don't really consider it an educational trip overall. Our other trips tend to be more natural or historic in tone - when we went to Mexico we toured Xcaret and the Mayan ruins, when we go to Chicago we spent most of our time at the Field Museum and the Shedd Aquarium, we're going to DC this year to tour the Smithsonian museums and the National Zoo, etc. If I was trying to justify a trip on purely educational grounds, Disney isn't the destination I'd choose.
ITA. There are educational opportunities to be had at Disney, as with any other trip we take, but for most, I don't think the primary focus is educational. WE want to do DC when DD gets a little older. Some of DH's fondest childhood memories are from thier trip the summer he was 11.

In December my family went to WDW for a week. We had full support from all 3 children's schools so that wasn't a problem. They all got a packet of homework. One is in 5th grade, one in 3rd, one in 1st. The 1st grader probably got the most work to do. A HUGE packet was presented to him. He did it all. No problem. In fact they all did all of their work. And when they came back to school they jumped right back into the swing of things without a hitch.

Fast forward to this week. My 1st grader (the one I often refer to with the complicated medical dx) was hospitalized on Monday. He had pheumonia and was in the hospital until yesterday. I called and spoke with his teacher on Thursday wanting to know if she'd put a packet together of make-up work. Her answer? "Oh, he'll be fine. Don't worry about it." Her decision? To send him a very small packet of work. This very same teacher who felt the need to send him paper upon paper upon paper during our WDW vacation suddenly thought he'd be fine with about 1/4 of the amount of work.

Yeah, and it's not hard to.

Again, in the days before vaccines, kids were routinely out for weeks when measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox and all the other childhood illnesses roared through schools.

I wonder if all this angst goes on when kids are out a week sick with the flu, learning NOTHING.

P.S. - we have our daughter in Montessori school. this is our educational philosophy.

Some things they will learn about:

* Different cultures of the world, including architecture, language, diet, and dress, by visiting the different countries in the Epcot World Showcase (Japan, China, Germany, Mexico, Norway, Canada, France, etc.)They will have the chance to explore the exhibits for each country and speak with natives from each country who work as cast members.

* American history by viewing the Hall of Presidents presentation in the Magic Kingdom and the American Adventure show in Epcot.

* Nature and conservation at Animal Kingdom.

* Science by exploring the Mission:Space ride in Epcot where they will have a chance to see and feel what it would be like to travel by rocket to Mars and by experiencing the Universe of Energy exhibit which teaches about fossil fuels, energy, and conservation.

* Economics by managing Their own spending money and making budget decisions on how to spend their money.

They will also be learning about map reading by navigating in and to the different theme parks, as well as the resorts and water parks via the Disney bus system, sociological aspects of crowds including patterns and behavior, physics of the different rides, breakthroughs in technology at the Innoventions computer lab in Epcot, art and animation and the history of film, and mathematics.

We believe this is a wonderful and educational experience for our children .

Some things they will learn about:

* Different cultures of the world, including architecture, language, diet, and dress, by visiting the different countries in the Epcot World Showcase (Japan, China, Germany, Mexico, Norway, Canada, France, etc.)They will have the chance to explore the exhibits for each country and speak with natives from each country who work as cast members.

* American history by viewing the Hall of Presidents presentation in the Magic Kingdom and the American Adventure show in Epcot.

* Nature and conservation at Animal Kingdom.

* Science by exploring the Mission:Space ride in Epcot where they will have a chance to see and feel what it would be like to travel by rocket to Mars and by experiencing the Universe of Energy exhibit which teaches about fossil fuels, energy, and conservation.

* Economics by managing Their own spending money and making budget decisions on how to spend their money.

They will also be learning about map reading by navigating in and to the different theme parks, as well as the resorts and water parks via the Disney bus system, sociological aspects of crowds including patterns and behavior, physics of the different rides, breakthroughs in technology at the Innoventions computer lab in Epcot, art and animation and the history of film, and mathematics.

We believe this is a wonderful and educational experience for our children .
the others i am not qualified to comment on, but the bolded is part of my area of study and I have been on both rides. Surely, you are joking, right?? Mission space is SCIENCE FICTION, Definitely NOT science fact, and nothing like a "real" rocket flight. There is no solid science there at all. It is like calling Star Trek science education. Ellen is hopelessly outdated, and while it does mention fossil fuels and alternative energy it does not do so in any real depth. I don't think it is really teaching anything.

the others i am not qualified to comment on, but the bolded is part of my area of study and I have been on both rides. Surely, you are joking, right?? Mission space is SCIENCE FICTION, Definitely NOT science fact, and nothing like a "real" rocket flight. There is no solid science there at all. It is like calling Star Trek science education. Ellen is hopelessly outdated, and while it does mention fossil fuels and alternative energy it does not do so in any real depth. I don't think it is really teaching anything.

Anything that is going to strike interest in my kids mind. Make them ask questions or wonder why can be the start of a educational journey. No I am not kidding not all things are learned in life from a Book. If its ok for a teacher to take a sabbatical its okay for me to take my kids on a trip. We talk about aviation we check our flight route we asked questions on Disney pay rate cost of living. Different bugs and lizards weather . They can and will learn out side of the class room if you introduce new subjects and ideas. What scares me most is the closed minded teacher that thinks they are the only one able to teach our kid anything get real !

Honestly it sounds like she was punishing him for going on vacation but felt he was fine to have less work because he was truely sick. I could be wrong but to see the different treatment for the different reasons for absences just kind of brings me to my thoughts.

Hope your little one is feeling better now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter