Pulling 7 year old out of school. What do you do?

We are leaving for WDW on Sunday and my son (1st grade) will be missing next week in school. I emailed the teacher and she is getting me his weekly homework sheet.

I felt bad about asking the school, I almost felt like I would be put in the principal's office :)

My husband works out of town (gone for 4 weeks, home for 2) and I am currently attending college to further my degree. My spring break is the 17th-5th and my husband will be home during that time. I know I couldn't miss a week of school (we are only allowed 4 days for the entire program...a girl had a baby and was back in class the next day :eek:)

I don't think i'd pull him out once he gets into the later years of school or if he was struggling.

I have read this entire thread so based just on the OP, here is my 2cents.

We pulled my son out of school last week for 4 days. We do this once a year( and he doesnt miss any other school unless sick which is rare) and I dont find it to be a big deal. He is in second grade and an honor roll student. If he struggled in school or missed too many days, we would have never pulled him out so it depends on the kid imo.

I have no desire to go trounce through Disney during peak times when kids are off of school. I find those kind of crowds miserable and not worth it.

If it came down to not having a child miss school and choosing to go to vacation during peak time, we would be going somewhere other than Disney. Maybe a cruise?

I didn't read all the posts, but had a couple comments.

I teach 2nd grade. The way our schedule is set up is that we teach Mon-Thursday and have tests on Friday. So on Monday our students will get their new spelling words and we start a new reading story and test Friday. Those two subjects are no big deal - our kids could miss a week of that and be ok because we go over the same strategies again and again.

What could get your child is missing out on a critical math skill (like two-digit addition), grammar lesson, or phonics review. In your favor is that the first month of school is a ton of 1st grade review, but not all of it is.

I have some students that could miss a month of school and be ok, whereas I have some that need every day and then some! If your child is the former, just ask the teacher for a heads up on the skills they will miss and go over it with your child.

We are doing exactly the same thing this October with our DD7, who will be in 2nd grade. She goes to a Montessori school and they've been understanding of vacations/trips. She does most of her work during the school day. Two weeks worth of spelling lists are given at a time. Grammer is ready to go for a full week at a time. Math is in a workbook. Some of her classes she would only miss 1 of, Spanish, Latin, Sign Language, Music, Gym. Writing/journal could easily be an assignment for her. Reading books can be taken along. I would not worry. My mom, sisters were all teachers. I think there is learning in everything. You've made plan and apparently are conscientious and aware of her abilities, so it shouldn't even be an issue. Have a worry free vaca!

You only have to answer to the school and yourself.

That's a great statement by mssandra. I took my sons out for a week up through third grade. No problems. This year I decided to move to their spring break in April, so they would not miss 5 days straight. But, the funny thing is, we've used up all our seven allotted snow days!! And I am sure we are going to have more snow days between now and April vacation. Which means the school will start taking away the spring break, one day at a time, which means....I'll be pulling them out of school! Seems I followed the rules and still couldn't win.

You do what's best for you and your family and have a great time!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter