Question about Prednisone and no tapering?

Shutterbug

Some Say........
So my doctor put me on Prednisone at 40mg once a day for 5 straight days.
After I took my first dose this evening, I realized that when I took it once before that it was tapered it was small dosage for about 7 days.

I called the pharmacist (as the doctors office was closed for the day) and he said " well if the doctor prescribed that for you there must be a reason. " I said that wasnt my question. My question was is it normal for no taper for that dosage for that many days? He said for that short a duration shouldnt have any withdrawal problems.

I have to say I am still skeptical.

Has anyone heard that or experienced a short duration of prednisone with no taper?

Yes I do plan on calling the doctor tomorrow with my concerns but I have feeling he will also say I shouldnt have any probs. Thing is it will end on Christmas day.

I have had prednisone prescribed to me on multiple occasions over the past ten years from a couple different doctors. The prescription instructions have always been to taper down, but I have had a couple that gave me the full dosage initially.

My DS7 takes 3mg twice daily of Dexamethasone (equal to about 20mg twice daily pred) for 5 days every month as part of his leukemia protocol. We don't have to taper his dose when he's done. When he was first diagnosed, he took that dosage for 28 days straight. They sent us home with a few extra doses just in case he was experiencing severe withdrawal symptoms but he didn't need them (we were just happy being off the steroid roller coaster)! I would call the doc just to double check with him since the last dose does fall on Christmas and the office might possibly be closed the Monday after.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

My DS7 takes 3mg twice daily of Dexamethasone (equal to about 20mg twice daily pred) for 5 days every month as part of his leukemia protocol. We don't have to taper his dose when he's done. When he was first diagnosed, he took that dosage for 28 days straight. They sent us home with a few extra doses just in case he was experiencing severe withdrawal symptoms but he didn't need them (we were just happy being off the steroid roller coaster)! I would call the doc just to double check with him since the last dose does fall on Christmas and the office might possibly be closed the Monday after.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Thank you, I will call tomorrow just to voice my concern on the tapering and my concern on if they will be open on day after Christmas.

I have had prednisone prescribed to me on multiple occasions over the past ten years from a couple different doctors. The prescription instructions have always been to taper down, but I have had a couple that gave me the full dosage initially.

What were your dosage sizes though?

I once went from 20 big pills a day to none and it was AWFUL. I have MS so I was taking it in a mega dose to lessen an attack. It was my first time taking them so I didn't know to taper them off. The doctor should have though. I wa sweaty and had an upset stomach for a few days and I remember it being really rough. The worst though was the hallucinations and feelings of paranoia. I NEVER want to go through that again.

Best advice is talk to your doctor, just even if to ease your mind.

My son is severe asthmatic. Anytime he has taken prednisone for more than 5 days it is tapered. 5 days never. I guess there is a magic cut off for how many days you take it. It has been awhile since he has had to take any, possibly 2 years so I don't remember the exact dosage. But yes, he has taken 5 day courses with no tapering but once it was upped to 10 it was always tapered.

Kelly

My son is severe asthmatic. Anytime he has taken prednisone for more than 5 days it is tapered. 5 days never. I guess there is a magic cut off for how many days you take it. It has been awhile since he has had to take any, possibly 2 years so I don't remember the exact dosage. But yes, he has taken 5 day courses with no tapering but once it was upped to 10 it was always tapered.

Kelly

Ok thanks!

I've had prednisone prescriptions several times (rheum.arthritis) and the first couple of times I had tapered doses. The times after that she didn't prescribe tapered doses. I asked her and she said since I voiced no negative effects from the other times I had had a short course she felt I would have no problems with a short course without taper--and she was right. Maybe that is your drs.feeling?

Kelly

I was going to say the same thing, for the short term, our kids never had tapered doses. DD took prednesone for 7 days and did a tapered dose though, but it was the first time she ever had prednesone though too.

same. When our son with severe asthma was young he would get a 5 day prescription with no tapering.

same. When our son with severe asthma was young he would get a 5 day prescription with no tapering.

Can I ask the dosage?
If it was just 20 I was taking I'd be alright but with it being 40 for 5 days that's why I am concerned

So my doctor put me on Prednisone at 40mg once a day for 5 straight days.
After I took my first dose this evening, I realized that when I took it once before that it was tapered it was small dosage for about 7 days.

I called the pharmacist (as the doctors office was closed for the day) and he said " well if the doctor prescribed that for you there must be a reason. " I said that wasnt my question. My question was is it normal for no taper for that dosage for that many days? He said for that short a duration shouldnt have any withdrawal problems.

I have to say I am still skeptical.

Has anyone heard that or experienced a short duration of prednisone with no taper?

Yes I do plan on calling the doctor tomorrow with my concerns but I have feeling he will also say I shouldnt have any probs. Thing is it will end on Christmas day.
I'd think your pharmacist would have had a better explanation than that.

My DS14 had two courses this fall prescribed this exact way, ie same dosage. I did question it with our docs and they said it was standard. They even said he could take it twice a day (20mg and 20mg) or all at once (40mg) daily. He ate like I'd never seen him eat before :laughing: but other than that he was fine with it.

I dont think this board can answer this question. We dont have what meds your on now, dosages, med history, diagnosis for the steroid etc.

Medical treatment isnt like a call center where answers are scripted. There are treatment modalities for specific diagnosis'. but these are impacted by the dynamics of the patients med history.

Just this past summer, I was prescribed prednisone at 20 mg, twice a day for 10 days (so 40 mg./day). I was concerned about no tapering, but had no problems at all. I was told that for that short a duration, it should be no problem. I had just taken a much smaller dosage with tapering about 2 weeks prior, but that did not help the problem at all. The larger dose did help.

Since you are concerned, you should check with your doctor.

I dont think this board can answer this question. We dont have what meds your on now, dosages, med history, diagnosis for the steroid etc.

Medical treatment isnt like a call center where answers are scripted. There are treatment modalities for specific diagnosis'. but these are impacted by the dynamics of the patients med history.
And we don't need it.

All Shutterbug asked was if anyone else has had it that way.

Yep. I've taken the exact dose you mentioned with no taper. My brother was my pharmacist & he said it was fine to do it for a short duration with out the taper.

Not sure if you completely read my OP but all I asked was if any one else had dealt with the same thing or heard about taking a short dosage. I wasn't asking what I should do. Of course I am going to talk to doctor before making any decision. Like I said I had I never heard of not tapering down and it sounded wrong

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter