Regrets taking too many Disney trips

We always combine a Disney trip with other places. When we go to Tokyo, we make sure we go see Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka, not just Disney. When we go to Paris, we tour around Europe, not just DLP. We never spend more than 2 nights in a Disney resort (this probably wouldn't work in Orlando though). We're lucky that the non-US Disney Parks are located not far from important cultural cities (Tokyo, Paris, Hong Kong and Shanghai) so we can have something educational for the kids.

Your comment "I don't ever want to go anywhere else" is music to all Disney management. It's what they work for to ensure many return visits and you live that life. I might suggest however that as you get older you realize something is missing from the safe world Disney provides. When you go to other parts of the real world, there is a sense of anticipation for the new unknown experiences. And yes a little anxiety. The reality of clambering aboard the real Eiffel tower, panning for gold in Victoria Australia, experiencing Yellowstone parks beauty an on and on. Those types of experiences far exceed anything Disney can do but you have to move out of your comfort zone briefly to judge. The real point to my earlier post is that in some cases it is cheaper to do reality and push yourself to do something different. It does not mean it will replace your Disney vacations but it adds to all you can enjoy while on this great earth.
To each his own. What that poster was describing is a love of vacation. What you describe is a love of travel. It is possible to have one without the other. I personally love both, but not everyone does. Some people just want vacations and are not interested in seeing the rest of the world. Some people like to travel and see the world, but don't want a carefree vacation. To each his own.

It's not important where you go with your kids while they are growing up. Whats important is the time spent with them. Its the time they want, not the place.
I think it's worthwhile to provide special trips for your kids, and not just because you're there with them. Travel broadens the mind, gives children new experiences, ignites curiosity and changes perspectives. It isn't just about bonding with mom and dad.

To each his own. What that poster was describing is a love of vacation. What you describe is a love of travel. It is possible to have one without the other. I personally love both, but not everyone does. Some people just want vacations and are not interested in seeing the rest of the world. Some people like to travel and see the world, but don't want a carefree vacation. To each his own.
You bring an interesting perspective to the table. Getting to your vacation destination might often be as much fun as the destination!
I noticed you have a great future plan for Tetons, Yellowstone and Banff. On the way to Banff is Glacier Park. What a great trip that will be. Try going thru Radium Springs on the way. Reality at its finest!

I think it's worthwhile to provide special trips for your kids, and not just because you're there with them. Travel broadens the mind, gives children new experiences, ignites curiosity and changes perspectives. It isn't just about bonding with mom and dad.

I traveled considerably with my parents both domestic and foreign. The places we visited while interesting were by far secondary to just spending time as a family. The best times, best memories were not the most mind broadening. With so many of today's families I see on my travels lately the kids appear as tag alongs and little more. When the kids become adults their experiences will guide their paths. The places become less of an influence while how they formed family values and principals will be greater. Just my opinion and what helped me the most growing up.

Exactly.

I like to be on vacation. Away from the troubles of day to day life. I do not like to travel.

Sitting in a car, getting on an airplane, rank at the bottom of my list of fun things to do.

Yes, I like spending time with my husband and son, but I would much rather do that at a place.

Last year my husband and I took a 12 day trip to travel to see friends. We stayed east of the Mississippi, but we stayed in 5 (or was it 6?) different states. We ended up traveling by car from a southern most state to where we could see the Canadian boarder. The visits were fun. It was great to see all of our friends, so of which we hadn't seen since my mom died. And the time with my husband was perfect.

But I hated living out of a suitcase. I hated not being able to unpack and just stay put. And, to be perfectly honest, I hated that every day was a new adventure of where we were going and how we were going to get there.

Exactly.

I like to be on vacation. Away from the troubles of day to day life. I do not like to travel.

Sitting in a car, getting on an airplane, rank at the bottom of my list of fun things to do.

Yes, I like spending time with my husband and son, but I would much rather do that at a place.

Last year my husband and I took a 12 day trip to travel to see friends. We stayed east of the Mississippi, but we stayed in 5 (or was it 6?) different states. We ended up traveling by car from a southern most state to where we could see the Canadian boarder. The visits were fun. It was great to see all of our friends, so of which we hadn't seen since my mom died. And the time with my husband was perfect.

But I hated living out of a suitcase. I hated not being able to unpack and just stay put. And, to be perfectly honest, I hated that every day was a new adventure of where we were going and how we were going to get there.
From what you say here, one would think staying home might be your best bet. Or maybe you can get your friends to come to you.

This is part of why we go every three years, in order to make room for other trips. I will always love WDW and always want to go, but every 3 years is a sweet spot for me because usually there is something new every time we go.

From what you say here, one would think staying home might be your best bet. Or maybe you can get your friends to come to you.
Or traveling to one relatively close place, and staying put. Then traveling home.

Some people like the thrill of the trip. I don't.

I've traveled, by train, plane and automobile. I've flown across the country. I've been overseas. I did it when I was younger and was healthy.

Now it feels like a chore. Vacation shouldn't feel like chores.

I recently saw a meme about reading to your children. Basically it said, "I want reading to your children to sound like . . Chocolate. Not medicine."

Vacation should be like that. It should sound like chocolate or cake or a Mai Tai. Not like medicine.

To me traveling sounds like medicine. And it wears me out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter